Baseball (and other smaller sport) travel

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So yesterday while traveling back to Memphis from Tampa. I was on flights with the UofMemphis baseball team. Nice guys. They played USF last weekend.

So anyways they were flying commercial on a mid Monday morning. So I'm thinking...

is Monday a normal travel day for baseball or softball? I assumed they flew over Thursday but i also assumed they flew back asap after a Sunday game, similar to football.

In this new day and age of conference realignment, how in the world do these guys make their classes work?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Wonder if it’s their spring break?

I agree usually Thursday and Sunday flights.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
How was the weather this weekend? Could have had flight cancellations. Probably hard to reschedule such a big group if that was the problem.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In this new day and age of conference realignment, how in the world do these guys make their classes work?
I don't think academics for most athletes has been an issues for decades now. We're probably the only major university left that actually thinks that is important.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't think academics for most athletes has been an issues for decades now. We're probably the only major university fanbase left that actually thinks that is important.

I corrected your post for you.

Another thing to consider is the increased numbers of online and hybrid classes. It’s not unusual for students — and not just student athletes — to be enrolled in such courses.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I corrected your post for you.

Another thing to consider is the increased numbers of online and hybrid classes. It’s not unusual for students — and not just student athletes — to be enrolled in such courses.
UNC had a huge, long running academic scandal involving athletes, they fought the NCAA the entire time and ended up with no penalties. We have a very small tutoring scandal, cooperated with the NCAA and got absolutely crushed. This is why scummy ADs like Bjork keep moving up, they fight the NCAA.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
UNC had a huge, long running academic scandal involving athletes, they fought the NCAA the entire time and ended up with no penalties. We have a very small tutoring scandal, cooperated with the NCAA and got absolutely crushed. This is why scummy ADs like Bjork keep moving up, they fight the NCAA.
The main reason UNC got away with no penalties from the NCAA is that their scandal involved a department and its students— not just student athletes.

The student athletes didn’t gain advantages over non-athlete students in the department.

Reactions: eckie1

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The main reason UNC got away with no penalties from the NCAA is that their scandal involved a department and its students— not just student athletes.

The student athletes didn’t gain advantages over non-athlete students in the department.
They are not the only university that got away with similar scandals. From the Wikipedia entry:

"On October 13, 2017, the NCAA announced it would not levy penalties against North Carolina, saying it "could not conclude that the University of North Carolina violated N.C.A.A. academic rules."[65][66][67] In their defense, North Carolina cited cases where Auburn and Michigan had similar misconduct and the NCAA did not act."

We're about the only university that tries to play by the rules and cooperate and you see what it got us. Our scandal was the equivalent of doing 75 in a 70MPH zone, UNC's was the equivalent of doing 150 in a 70MPH zone.