Baseball Question

RevRuss

Feb 2, 2022
I don't follow baseball but reading this site I thought we were the worst team in history. I was surprised to see SEC standings and we're in 3rd place. How can we be so terrible and have 13 teams behind us?

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
That’s also only in the east that we’re in 3rd. Or at least tied for 3rd. Overall we’re tied for 5th. I will say I don’t think we’re as far off as some on here make it seem, but I don’t think they’ve been as good as expected either. That’s particularly on offense at least from the eyeball test. Truthfully we’ve been very fortunate that teams like LSU and Florida have absolutely crapped the bed.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
I think had we not inexplicably blown games both in Oxford and Tuscaloosa the outlook on here would be a little better. We had leads in both those series openers I believe and just absolutely blew it. We win one more game in each series and that’s two more series wins on the road and I think people would be singing a different tune. Also, we lost two heartbreakers to that stupid team from the upstate (which is pretty good as much as it pains me to say). But we all know how much of a black cloud that can cast over a season.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
D1 Baseball has us ranked at 20 today FWIW. Proving my point that I’m not the only one who sees that we’re not far off from being a solid team contending for a regional host.

Reactions: Tngamecock

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
I am highly critical, but I have never said we were terrible, and I don't think folks on this forum have said we're terrible either. The frustration is, we are not as good as we should be at this point in a Kingston tenure. As stands, we are probably around the 25th-30th best team. That isn't going to cut it.

We can hope that the Florida series win is a sign for hope, but frankly Florida is way down this year.

We still have a chance to make a nice run this year, if and it's a BIG IF, the pieces start to work better. Pitching must get better. We've got some talent there, but continue to make some dumb moves. Hitting isn't bad. The lineup has improved. But, over and over we get runners on and can't find an way to score. The numbers on us failing to get runners in are really bad.

Last edited:

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
I feel like, from the games I’ve watched closely this year, we were much more aggressive at the plate this past weekend which seemed to pay dividends. For most of the season it looked to me like we were so worried about working the count and raising a pitcher’s pitch count that we would get ourselves in bad hitter’s counts which often meant watching the most hit table pitch of the AB sail right on by. It was almost a given that the first pitch was a take for us, even if it was a middle-middle fastball.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I think we are just to inconsistent. We can play really really well and then we play so bad. If we would hit and pitch more consistently then I truly think we would be in great shape. We have a team that could go to regionals and supers and win 5 in a row or go and get shut out in first two games. We just dont know what we are getting and that seems to be the issue.

RevRuss

Feb 2, 2022
Thanks, The State said tied for 3rd - didn't say in the east. Live too far away from Cola to attend in person and don't have the attention span to watch on TV.

Latest posts