Beamer on the Hot Coach List

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I think he's proven himself in a lot of ways, but he's in a mercurial profession. This team has some questionable deficits going into the fall that are going to have to be closed. Otherwise, Beamer might be on a different kind of list next year this time.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Beamer isn't going anywhere. He's now making, what, 6mill? He's making that kind of cash at his dream job. A job he was waiting for; in the state where his kids were born..... While he wants to be "Shane Beamer" and not "Frank Beamer's son", I think he would prefer to be like his father in that he makes a name for himself, and become synonymous with one school. We are that school. jmho

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I actually welcome USC losing a coach because they're so good. Not that I want to see Beamer go by any means, but just once, don't let USC be the job that ended a coach's career.
I appreciate your thinking.

If Shane truly wants to stay in Columbia, I could see him using other schools' interest in him to get pay raises. That too speaks well of us.

Last edited:

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
To quote Cindy Lauper. "Money changes everything"
If he starts actually challenging for the SEC $$ will not be an issue. If he ever does leave on his own, it's not going to be for more money. We'll pay him as much or more than anybody else will offer. Dabo won a NC and they gave him a $100M contract.

Reactions: CWW

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
If he starts actually challenging for the SEC $$ will not be an issue. If he ever does leave on his own, it's not going to be for more money. We'll pay him as much or more than anybody else will offer. Dabo won a NC and they gave him a $100M contract.
Bold words.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Say it ain't so?

Beamer was only an asst coach when we hired him. He'd never been an OC or DC. And we passed on multiple "home run" hires. ;)

Debbie downers be like:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I'm not as sanguine on that as you are. We would have to be very creative - deferred compensation, stocks of some kind that private companies throw in. No, I don't think we can open the wallet like LSU or the Texas schools can open the wallet.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I'm not as sanguine on that as you are. We would have to be very creative - deferred compensation, stocks of some kind that private companies throw in. No, I don't think we can open the wallet like LSU or the Texas schools can open the wallet.
There are boosters that would LOVE to throw in on a HC that's competing for NCs. These guys are like Linus waiting on the Great Pumpkin. Same thing happened at clem. All those guys needed was a reason to believe. BAM, Dabo's making $11M/yr.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
There are boosters that would LOVE to throw in on a HC that's competing for NCs. These guys are like Linus waiting on the Great Pumpkin. Same thing happened at clem. All those guys needed was a reason to believe. BAM, Dabo's making $11M/yr.
Beamer will have to actually win a NC before anyone throws that kind of money at him. I think Dabo was making something like $2.5MM a year before he won the NC. Boosters with that kind of money didn't get that kind of money by throwing it at people or ideas that were "almost great".

Reactions: KingWard

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Beamer will have to actually win a NC before anyone throws that kind of money at him. I think Dabo was making something like $2.5MM a year before he won the NC. Boosters with that kind of money didn't get that kind of money by throwing it at people or ideas that were "almost great".
Agree with you 100%. Just like Dabo, he'll get paid when he actually does something big. Until then, he'll continue to be paid relative to his output.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Agree with you 100%. Just like Dabo, he'll get paid when he actually does something big. Until then, he'll continue to be paid relative to his output.
If he doesn't win 8 regular season games this season after all the hype in the media he might get some heat he won't like. As good as recruiting has felt, the last class was ranked 16th, about where we have been for a while now. We will get clemson and Tennessee's full attention this year so we won't sneak up on either of them. Georgia in Athens is going to be a tough game and A&M won't be a cakewalk.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
If he doesn't win 8 regular season games this season after all the hype in the media he might get some heat he won't like. As good as recruiting has felt, the last class was ranked 16th, about where we have been for a while now. We will get clemson and Tennessee's full attention this year so we won't sneak up on either of them. Georgia in Athens is going to be a tough game and A&M won't be a cakewalk.
I think people are going a little overboard with they hype, IMHO. There are some gaps on the roster that could be problematic. Nobody is really talking about having to replace Smith/Rush. I know Gray has had a really great track record with us so far, so we assume we'll have guys like Dial and Fortune step up. I think DL is still a year away from being good. RB is a bit of a mess. Squeezing 8 wins out of this group will be more impressive than last year.

For me, the recruiting excitement is just beginning. Last year was good, but this class has potential to be our best ever.

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
I think people are going a little overboard with they hype, IMHO. There are some gaps on the roster that could be problematic. Nobody is really talking about having to replace Smith/Rush. I know Gray has had a really great track record with us so far, so we assume we'll have guys like Dial and Fortune step up. I think DL is still a year away from being good. RB is a bit of a mess. Squeezing 8 wins out of this group will be more impressive than last year.

For me, the recruiting excitement is just beginning. Last year was good, but this class has potential to be our best ever.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
If so, they have been there for years and gone unheard from, even in the good times. The performance will have to run ahead of the compensation. Right now, we're on a one-game losing streak. We've got to find at least two more wins to get some financial energy going.

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
I was surprised AD gave SB such a raise so quickly. Didn’t muschamp do as well or better his first two years. Do believe this is a better head coach but to double his salary so quickly…

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I was surprised AD gave SB such a raise so quickly. Didn’t muschamp do as well or better his first two years. Do believe this is a better head coach but to double his salary so quickly…
He was making chump change by Power Five standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Cock

Big JC

May 12, 2023
He was making chump change by Power Five standings.
4-4 in SEC play isn't exactly cause for a huge bonus and raise. Vandy was a gimme and UK was missing most of their offense. He was a first year coach who had never even been a coordinator. He was being paid appropriately.

I guess it's easy for Tanner to spend money that isn't really his.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
4-4 in SEC play isn't exactly cause for a huge bonus and raise. Vandy was a gimme and UK was missing most of their offense. He was a first year coach who had never even been a coordinator. He was being paid appropriately.

He was a head coach in the SEC; the change was chump. We took advantage of his hunger for a head job in a preeminent league. Might have been one of the few savvy business moves this athletic administration has ever made.

Reactions: DaboSits2PeePee

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
He was a head coach in the SEC; the change was chump. We took advantage of his hunger for a head job in a preeminent league. Might have been one of the few savvy business moves this athletic administration has ever made.
Speaking of savvy, SB wasn’t going anywhere. After two years could have, should have waited before doubling his salary

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
If so, they have been there for years and gone unheard from, even in the good times. The performance will have to run ahead of the compensation. Right now, we're on a one-game losing streak. We've got to find at least two more wins to get some financial energy going.
There’s really not been much for them to throw down on. 3 good years with HBC when everyone knew this was his last job. That’s about it. JoMo was before money started getting nuts. When is the last time we had a young guy on the upswing of his career be successful?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023

It is when you consider how many 4-4 SEC seasons we’ve had.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Speaking of savvy, SB wasn’t going anywhere. After two years could have, should have waited before doubling his salary
I don’t think so. It was the right move. He proved himself capable with how he finished the season. I think it’s perfectly fine to have him paid around mid level of the SEC.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I suppose the wisdom of that move will be established over time - one way or the other.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think he's proven himself in a lot of ways, but he's in a mercurial profession. This team has some questionable deficits going into the fall that are going to have to be closed. Otherwise, Beamer might be on a different kind of list next year this time.

Yep. Let the offense struggle. Stumble out of the gate to UNC. If the worst case scenario unfolds and we start 1-5 or so, the sentiment will swing the opposite direction.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Yep. Let the offense struggle. Stumble out of the gate to UNC. If the worst case scenario unfolds and we start 1-5 or so, the sentiment will swing the opposite direction.
My question would be - if the offense is struggling and Rattler is having an off day, is Sellers on standby and will he get on the field?

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
My question would be - if the offense is struggling and Rattler is having an off day, is Sellers on standby and will he get on the field?

I hope so. You can’t keep playing a losing hand. And really, I don’t see it as yanking the QB - sometimes seeing the game from the sideline can help a QB see what they were doing wrong (or see exactly what the defense was doing).

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I hope so. You can’t keep playing a losing hand. And really, I don’t see it as yanking the QB - sometimes seeing the game from the sideline can help a QB see what they were doing wrong (or see exactly what the defense was doing).
Some of our best teams used a 2 QB system (i.e. Mitchell/Hold). Never understood going with one guy regardless of how the game is going!

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Some of our best teams used a 2 QB system (i.e. Mitchell/Hold). Never understood going with one guy regardless of how the game is going!
The best teams we’ve ever had was with one QB, Shaw. If our D could’ve stopped anybody, that 2014 season could have been special as well with Thompson.
I suspect Sellers is going to play regardless. Especially with the lack of proven RBs.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I suppose the wisdom of that move will be established over time - one way or the other.
Pretty much what The State sportswriters said in April 1971 when USC announced it was leaving the ACC.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The best teams we’ve ever had was with one QB, Shaw. If our D could’ve stopped anybody, that 2014 season could have been special as well with Thompson.
I suspect Sellers is going to play regardless. Especially with the lack of proven RBs.

One way or another, the backup has to play some this year. Rattler took almost every snap last year, out of necessity. There were few games that offered much opportunity for the backups to get in.

But we can't go into 2024 with backups who haven't seen the field.

Reactions: Prestonyte

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
One way or another, the backup has to play some this year. Rattler took almost every snap last year, out of necessity. There were few games that offered much opportunity for the backups to get in.

But we can't go into 2024 with backups who haven't seen the field.
I agree. And it makes no sense with the new-ish redshirt rules where you can play in 4 games and still RS. Sellers needs to get AT LEAST that amount. I'd also like to see Bailey get some PT as well.

Reactions: KingWard

Latest posts