133 - Evans
149 - Heard
157 - Dunbar
165 - Matt Lee, Borden
174 - Kelly
197 - Higgins

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Cassell (Binghamton) over Lee 9-2. Early takedown and 1st period rideout. Greg D. lost in SV to Navy

Potterlion

Oct 31, 2021
Since Joe dropped to 157.

He hasn't been at 149 since 2019.

Mostly a rhetorical question and I'd presume that the Lee family would choose not to compete against each other for a spot, but does anyone know how Joe and Matt fare against each other? Is it assumed that Joe got to choose 157 because he can beat Matt handily and repeatedly on the mat or is it a matter of waiting your turn? Personally, I'm a big fan of all of the Lee brothers and I don't care and would be happy for them to sort it out any way they choose, just curious......

Potterlion

Oct 31, 2021
Maybe we have next year's 133 on the roster already.

Huge win for Evans, but didn't he then lose to the Binghamton kid who was rated much lower than the Cornell kid? Look, not everybody's RBY and it certainly seems like Evans might hold his own, especially with at least one more year in the room before he'd need to be the guy. You can't have a returning national champ at each weight class and if Evan becomes the guy (assuming RBY does choose to forego his final year), I'll be fine with it. Since Cael has taken over, I've never really lost any sleep about what the plan is, he seems to have it covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hlstone

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Mostly a rhetorical question and I'd presume that the Lee family would choose not to compete against each other for a spot, but does anyone know how Joe and Matt fare against each other? Is it assumed that Joe got to choose 157 because he can beat Matt handily and repeatedly on the mat or is it a matter of waiting your turn? Personally, I'm a big fan of all of the Lee brothers and I don't care and would be happy for them to sort it out any way they choose, just curious......
Doubt the coaches factored in any Lee family competition. Much more likely: we needed a 157 starter when Berge graduated, and Joe was already a viable D1 starter capable of going back down from 165. (Which begs the question: maybe he's more of a 157 anyway, who made room last year for Berge.)

Reactions: Potterlion

McPat

Oct 31, 2021
Huge win for Evans, but didn't he then lose to the Binghamton kid who was rated much lower than the Cornell kid? Look, not everybody's RBY and it certainly seems like Evans might hold his own, especially with at least one more year in the room before he'd need to be the guy. You can't have a returning national champ at each weight class and if Evan becomes the guy (assuming RBY does choose to forego his final year), I'll be fine with it. Since Cael has taken over, I've never really lost any sleep about what the plan is, he seems to have it covered.
no - he medically forfeited after winning all 3 of his matches (including a win over the Navy wrestler that had beaten him last week in the finals at Clarion)

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Huge win for Evans, but didn't he then lose to the Binghamton kid who was rated much lower than the Cornell kid? Look, not everybody's RBY and it certainly seems like Evans might hold his own, especially with at least one more year in the room before he'd need to be the guy.
Maybe confused Evans for Matt Lee? Evans MFF out after pinning LaJoie in the quarters.

Still, agree with the conclusion. Evans looks like he has some potential, and he's done well, and let's see how he grows this year.

I wouldn't get too excited about the quarters win -- LaJoie did qualify for nationals in 2020, but with a losing record at 125. A good win and a step up in competition for Evans. Enough to make us want to see more. Not enough to throw him into next year's lineup yet.

Oct 31, 2021
Yes, you're right Jefe, I was confusing him with Lee's loss.
Lee s loss was to Brevin Casella. Second year in program at Binghamton . Tall ( 6 ft , 6’1” , strong kid ) aggressive and scraps. Out of Massachusetts . Has a high upside. I believe Placed low last year at EIWAs 7 or 8 ? Could make noise at EIWA s this year. No slouch. To me he s a late bloomer . High ceiling. Today he majored Petite from Buffalo ( same kid Facundo beat last week at Clarion) also beat Cornell s Brindley . Not a great style match up for Matt imo. From New England and now benefiting from coaching and better competition last 2 yrs.
After beating Ramirez expected win Or closer match . Did Ramirez match take a lot out of him? Who knows. Great experience and great job by Matt.
I guess ? I have is Matt more of a 157 pounder and is 165 a reach? Hoosier Lion?Matt is a Great talent need to find right spot for him. Smooth , technical and smart. I feel he ll make a mark on the program at some point! Upward trajectory! Question is What weight and when?
Evans impressed me!
Beard I liked what I saw. 197 a strength!
I am all in on Beau. I know he “looked “ small. Lol. He s plenty strong. It s a style thing at this point. Not gonna go out like a house on fire like a Nolf! He s going to show the doubters. I think it motivates him so all the critics please be loud.
DH!!!!!!!!!
157 , 165 will be ok. Anyone doubt Joe Lee or Facundo can make a run in March! If you do , we disagree which is fine. Time will tell !
Overall, nice “start” first 2 days. Long way to go. I wouldn t overreact to any result good or bad this w end or from Clarion.
The process has begun…………..
Now let s get behind all our guys and fight! Young talented team , best coaching staff in the country. Will be a battle but I like our chances ! Let s Go!

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Since Joe dropped to 157.

He hasn't been at 149 since 2019.
I knew I had 49/57 on the brain from something I saw recently, and it was the roster. Of course, what it says doesn't matter, but I always had Matt in mind as the middle-sized Lee (Although youngest)

8BF40792-68BA-41EC-BDD8-B2EB828DB33A.jpeg

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
I heard there was a wrestle-off in the Lee basement, but the boys put a hole in the basement wall and Mrs. Lee got very angry so the match was called off.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I knew I had 49/57 on the brain from something I saw recently, and it was the roster. Of course, what it says doesn't matter, but I always had Matt in mind as the middle-sized Lee (Although youngest)

View attachment 160330
Understood, and that's a good reminder that the PSU roster isn't always the most up-to-date info. Example: Cenzo still at 149 when he pinned Martinez.

Reactions: donaldfair71
Oct 29, 2021
Wow! David Evans!! Wins his match by fall against Cornell's former 125 starter, NCAA qualifier and 3 time MI state Champ. What a year for him!
You mean the Cornell guy who was beating Evans 1-0 and in the process of taking him down, when Evans attempted some kind of cartwheel and kicked him in the head and knocked him out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 10.52.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 10.52.33 PM.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 22
Oct 29, 2021
Evans great win over LaJouie - Cornell in quarters . He s been impressive . Shows him med for to Navy kid. Shame w who s in semis he d have been favorite to win it all imo. Hope it s nothing serious and just precautionary .
Possibly he MF'ed because he kicked LaJoie in the head and knocked him out in that match?

Oct 29, 2021
Maybe confused Evans for Matt Lee? Evans MFF out after pinning LaJoie in the quarters.

Still, agree with the conclusion. Evans looks like he has some potential, and he's done well, and let's see how he grows this year.

I wouldn't get too excited about the quarters win -- LaJoie did qualify for nationals in 2020, but with a losing record at 125. A good win and a step up in competition for Evans. Enough to make us want to see more. Not enough to throw him into next year's lineup yet.
Repeating myself, but Evans didn't pin LaJoie: he kicked him in the head trying to avoid a takedown, knocking him out. LaJoie fell to the mat (still in control of Evans' leg) unconscious.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Repeating myself, but Evans didn't pin LaJoie: he kicked him in the head trying to avoid a takedown, knocking him out. LaJoie fell to the mat (still in control of Evans' leg) unconscious.
Call it whatever makes you feel better. Does that mean Berge didn't get pinned at U23s?

BTW, why didn't your coaches challenge it? LaJoie wasn't unattached.

Reactions: crockster
Oct 29, 2021
Call it whatever makes you feel better. Does that mean Berge didn't get pinned at U23s?

BTW, why didn't your coaches challenge it? LaJoie wasn't unattached.
All the Cornell wrestlers were unattached; just because Flo had them labeled "Cornell" doesn't mean they weren't unattached. I don't have to "call" it anything: it was obvious if you look at the video what happened. LaJoie landed face down, and that's how the match ended (with LaJoie still holding onto the leg). Evans' left leg continued to fly around in that photo above and caught LaJoie on the head.

Oct 31, 2021
Possibly he MF'ed because he kicked LaJoie in the head and knocked him out in that match?
Hoping LaJoie is ok. Wishing him the best. If anyone knows how serious head injuries are it s this fan base after what happened w Brady. Obviously, anyone commenting on that match ( like I did) didn t c it and the circumstances. Nothing but respect for our opponents. As u know with these Nov. open tournaments , it s just about kids developing and coaches , fans seeing where they are. There is sincere enthusiasm here for Evans. Having said that main thing is all the wrestlers health. Praying for Lajoie. So Evans forfeited the semi because his previous oppt was hurt by his kick to the head?
Class move if true. Though not unexpected w the culture and environment Cael has created. At PSU it s more than just about wrestling. Though admittedly we do love to win as you ve witnessed up close over the last 11 plus years. Praying for a quick recovery for Lajoie. All the best,

Oct 31, 2021
Hoping LaJoie is ok. Wishing him the best. If anyone knows how serious head injuries are it s this fan base after what happened w Brady. Obviously, anyone commenting on that match ( like I did) didn t c it and the circumstances. Nothing but respect for our opponents. As u know with these Nov. open tournaments , it s just about kids developing and coaches , fans seeing where they are. There is sincere enthusiasm here for Evans. Having said that main thing is all the wrestlers health. Praying for Lajoie. So Evans forfeited the semi because his previous oppt was hurt by his kick to the head?
Class move if true. Though not unexpected w the culture and environment Cael has created. At PSU it s more than just about wrestling. Though admittedly we do love to win as you ve witnessed up close over the last 11 plus years. Praying for a quick recovery for Lajoie. All the best,
After reading above, wanted to stress that the kick to the head was accidental. I know parents, family , friends may read these boards. David Evan is a very good wrestler and has a bright future. But he s even a better person. Fits right in w our Penn State team. Having said that our thoughts and prayers are with Dom Lajoie. Get better soon and make a full recovery. Please keep us updated . As I said we win “a lot “ but “care “ more.

Oct 31, 2021
All the Cornell wrestlers were unattached; just because Flo had them labeled "Cornell" doesn't mean they weren't unattached. I don't have to "call" it anything: it was obvious if you look at the video what happened. LaJoie landed face down, and that's how the match ended (with LaJoie still holding onto the leg). Evans' left leg continued to fly around in that photo above and caught LaJoie on the head.
Interesting . You might want to let Flo know. Under team results all champions and placers are listed as representing Cornell. Gives the impression they are attached and Cornell won the tourney. One things for sure you sent a full team of wrestlers and many highly rated: Greg Diak ( Didn t expect Allen to beat him ) , Ramirez ( that was an entertaining match w Matt Lee!) , Ungar, Hadlovic, Yapoujian, Santoro , Foca , Loew, Cardenas etc. That s quite an “ unattached “ team! Also the Spartan Combat guys confuse the issue? Maybe a good idea to clean all this up and let Flo know. I m a NY/ LI guy w history at Penn State. I pull for all the NY kids except when they wrestle us. So good luck! We are thrilled to have Max- great young man. Looks like the other Ivies catching up or improving . Should be more of an interesting EIWAs this year! Enjoy and be well.

Oct 31, 2021
Interesting . You might want to let Flo know. Under team results all champions and placers are listed as representing Cornell. Gives the impression they are attached and Cornell won the tourney. One things for sure you sent a full team of wrestlers and many highly rated: Greg Diak ( Didn t expect Allen to beat him ) , Ramirez ( that was an entertaining match w Matt Lee!) , Ungar, Hadlovic, Yapoujian, Santoro , Foca , Loew, Cardenas etc. That s quite an “ unattached “ team! Also the Spartan Combat guys confuse the issue? Maybe a good idea to clean all this up and let Flo know. I m a NY/ LI guy w history at Penn State. I pull for all the NY kids except when they wrestle us. So good luck! We are thrilled to have Max- great young man. Looks like the other Ivies catching up or improving . Should be more of an interesting EIWAs this year! Enjoy and be well.
Also were your coaches there? Binghamton not far from Ithaca.

Folkstylefan

Oct 13, 2021
Some may misunderstand me when i say bartlett is small for 49. I should elaborate, he is to short. He will see a lot of quality wrestlers that have a huge reach advantage creating issues shooting and finishing. Not saying he couldn’t place at nationals, its just gonna be a lot of close matches in my opinion.

Oct 31, 2021
Some may misunderstand me when i say bartlett is small for 49. I should elaborate, he is to short. He will see a lot of quality wrestlers that have a huge reach advantage creating issues shooting and finishing. Not saying he couldn’t place at nationals, its just gonna be a lot of close matches in my opinion.
Folk style, That s a fair take. Beau s got wrestling instincts that few have. Short but strong. Agree oppts reach creates issues but those things can also play against the talle guy w reach- who s managing his weight all year( not great for a 3 day tourney in March) His style is hand fight, head control and angles . Shoot or countershoot when it s there. Can ride and will turn ! Yes very controlled style. In future , I believe he ll open up ( more this year too) and of course our coaches get this. Your assessment is a fair and based on honest observations. I respect your opinion . Look where Willie has him in his crystal ball thing. Let s Go Beau!!!!!! That match vs Crooks was a good experience. Beau will be right there come March . Just my opinion but watching BB he s got something special . Looking fwd to seeing him Thursday! Let s Go!!!!! Bv

Oct 29, 2021
After reading above, wanted to stress that the kick to the head was accidental. I know parents, family , friends may read these boards. David Evan is a very good wrestler and has a bright future. But he s even a better person. Fits right in w our Penn State team. Having said that our thoughts and prayers are with Dom Lajoie. Get better soon and make a full recovery. Please keep us updated . As I said we win “a lot “ but “care “ more.
Of course it was accidental. Mike Grey shook Evans' hand after they determined that LaJoie couldn't continue.

I wouldn't be surprised if Evans forfeited because he felt pretty bad about the incident: calling it a MFF makes it not count as a loss on his record, correct?