Bearcat Open

Oct 29, 2021
Also were your coaches there? Binghamton not far from Ithaca.
As I'm not on the team, I don't have coaches. All the Cornell guys wrestled unattached; the event doesn't count towards Cornell's event limit (that's why they wrestled unattached); Ungar is at Spartan RTC, not at Cornell; Mike Grey was there (shook Evans' hand after the incident with LaJoie) but not as a coach (like Cael is at PSU unattached events, I'm told). Cornell has twelve duals (six of which are on three days) and five tournaments (CKLV, Southern Scuffle, National Duals, EIWA, and NCAA) on their official schedule, so I think they are at the max events.

Cornell (and Spartan nee Finger Lakes) always sends a large contingent to the Bearcat Open. Yianni debuted there, beating some kid named Nick Lee in the final. Darmstadt beat Shakur Rasheed there in 2018. Always unattached.

Oct 31, 2021
Of course it was accidental. Mike Grey shook Evans' hand after they determined that LaJoie couldn't continue.

I wouldn't be surprised if Evans forfeited because he felt pretty bad about the incident: calling it a MFF makes it not count as a loss on his record, correct?
Agree. I believe he did it out of respect for LaJoie. I don t think he cared about it effecting his record. I mean I like his chances vs the the kid from Navy prep and Rini from Columbia would ve been fun and winnable ! Main thing is Lajoie s health. Mike Grey is a good guy and class act! Great man to lead Cornell forward. Was he in the corner coaching ? Good to see he was there for his wrestler. Wish him and Cornell good luck this year. Bv

Oct 31, 2021
Agree. I believe he did it out of respect for LaJoie. I don t think he cared about it effecting his record. I mean I like his chances vs the the kid from Navy prep and Rini from Columbia would ve been fun and winnable ! Main thing is Lajoie s health. Mike Grey is a good guy and class act! Great man to lead Cornell forward. Was he in the corner coaching ? Good to see he was there for his wrestler. Wish him and Cornell good luck this year. Bv
Just read your explanation about Grey s role there. I get it. Good he was there to be w his guy after the injury. Take care and Good luck. CB

Oct 31, 2021
As I'm not on the team, I don't have coaches. All the Cornell guys wrestled unattached; the event doesn't count towards Cornell's event limit (that's why they wrestled unattached); Ungar is at Spartan RTC, not at Cornell; Mike Grey was there (shook Evans' hand after the incident with LaJoie) but not as a coach (like Cael is at PSU unattached events, I'm told). Cornell has twelve duals (six of which are on three days) and five tournaments (CKLV, Southern Scuffle, National Duals, EIWA, and NCAA) on their official schedule, so I think they are at the max events.

Cornell (and Spartan nee Finger Lakes) always sends a large contingent to the Bearcat Open. Yianni debuted there, beating some kid named Nick Lee in the final. Darmstadt beat Shakur Rasheed there in 2018. Always unattached.
I remember that match vs Nick. 2 stars. Did you see there match at the Olympic trials? Word has it Yianni wasn t trying? Lol . Just kidding w you. Seen Yianni s career up close being from NY. Other than vs Nick I m rooting for him! My fav Yianni HS match was his first NY state final vs Vito( Syosset- LI Strong!) Both were in Jr HS if I remember? Vito going up? Greg ready? Concerning Darmstadt , is he ready for Max or Beard? Will be an exciting season ! Be well!

Oct 29, 2021
I remember that match vs Nick. 2 stars. Did you see there match at the Olympic trials? Word has it Yianni wasn t trying? Lol . Just kidding w you. Seen Yianni s career up close being from NY. Other than vs Nick I m rooting for him! My fav Yianni HS match was his first NY state final vs Vito( Syosset- LI Strong!) Both were in Jr HS if I remember? Vito going up? Greg ready? Concerning Darmstadt , is he ready for Max or Beard? Will be an exciting season ! Be well!
Nobody outside the room knows exactly where Vito and Yianni will be. We'll find out this weekend.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Nobody outside the room knows exactly where Vito and Yianni will be. We'll find out this weekend.
Yianni vs. Nick would be an amazing NCAA final, particularly with one of the two having beaten Eierman. Then again, Yianni dismantling Sasso would be enjoyable (and then meeting up with Beau in the finals, of course).

And Vito vs. Spencer would be a fantastic matchup. Vito knows he can match up with Spencer. He’d be an underdog, but Vito has as good a chance as any. Of course, the winner faces PSU darkhorse Marco Vespa in the finals, where Vespa easily wins his first of 4 consecutive titles.

Oct 29, 2021
Yianni vs. Nick would be an amazing NCAA final, particularly with one of the two having beaten Eierman. Then again, Yianni dismantling Sasso would be enjoyable (and then meeting up with Beau in the finals, of course).

And Vito vs. Spencer would be a fantastic matchup. Vito knows he can match up with Spencer. He’d be an underdog, but Vito has as good a chance as any. Of course, the winner faces PSU darkhorse Marco Vespa in the finals, where Vespa easily wins his first of 4 consecutive titles.
What I wouldn't give to see Vito/Spencer, Yianni/Lee, and Darmstadt/Dean at NCAAs...

Oct 31, 2021
NM, You know better than me but I ll say Cornell “ eventually” goes: 125 Greg D. 133 Vito , 141- any truth to rumors Hadlovic has won this? or Saunders , 149 Yianni .
But u r right time will tell.

Oct 29, 2021
Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Feel free to read the tea leaves: https://cornellbigred.com/news/2021/11/17/next-chapter-of-cornell-wrestling-starts-saturday.aspx

I only have familiarity with Cornell's squad, not insight unfortunately.
You must be a big Cornell fan by all your posts. I do have a soft spot for Cornell. Besides my 2 siblings going to Cornell and growing cup in Western NY , my Dad wrestled there in the 40's and won the EIWA championship and is in their Athletic HOF. They also still give an award every year to the most improved wrestler in his name. I have always followed them closely and root for them to do well, even though I'm a huge PS fan. They have a great program. Go Big Red!