Beaver Stadium Proposal:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
This ^^^ 1000x. There’s a lot of people looking at this through blinders and not wanting to admit what you bring up. PSU has been playing catch up since 2011, in large part due to the sticking to status quo pre 2011. It’s more expensive to play catch up than to keep up.
So if PSU was not making major renovations to its football facilities and Beaver Stadium, where is the money it saved? There is incentive to find it because it should make a nice down payment on future projects. While you're looking, you might also want to compile a list of other schools that undertook major construction projects on football facilities ante-2011.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Has corporate sponsorship ever been explored? How about some Saudi $$? The Emirates at Beaver Stadium!
Good idea, but not going to make a major dent. Most lucrative naming rights deal for a college stadium was the original between USC and United Airlines that yielded $4.3mm p.a. (since revised; terms undisclosed) for the LA Memorial Coliseum.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
So if PSU was not making major renovations to its football facilities and Beaver Stadium, where is the money it saved? There is incentive to find it because it should make a nice down payment on future projects. While you're looking, you might also want to compile a list of other schools that undertook major construction projects on football facilities ante-2011.
I’m a car guy so I’ll compare it to that. It’s like car maintenance. It’s a lot cheaper to perform routine maintenance on a car (fluids, filters, occasional minor part replacements like spark plugs) than it is to ignore it and have to pay for a major repair or engine replacement years later. Fluids are cheaper than metal. Same thing here. The maintenance and minor upgrades were ignored for years, so here we are. You can compare it all you want to other schools, but that’s the reality and now the price tag is much larger than it could have been.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I’m a car guy so I’ll compare it to that. It’s like car maintenance. It’s a lot cheaper to perform routine maintenance on a car (fluids, filters, occasional minor part replacements like spark plugs) than it is to ignore it and have to pay for a major repair or engine replacement years later. Fluids are cheaper than metal. Same thing here. The maintenance and minor upgrades were ignored for years, so here we are. You can compare it all you want to other schools, but that’s the reality and now the price tag is much larger than it could have been.
Yup, that's what aTm did with the renovation of Kyle Field; replaced plugs, changed oil, and filters. Same with USC at the Coliseum.

But what I really like is how you arbitrarily choose 2011 as the tipping point. Both of the projects above were done after 2011. PSU could have started work on Beaver Stadium after 2011. Indeed, it commenced the aborted Athletic Facilities Master Plan in late 2015. When unveiled the plan in 2017, Beaver Stadium (along with the BJC) were at the end of the queue, dates to be determined. But I guess it's easier to blame the dead guy for this mess.

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
The other issue is PSU alumni don't donate at a rate anywhere near what would make a dent in renovations. It was ingrained in us not to donate over the years. "We" didn't want to get caught up in the "arms race" of college football. We were a clean cut football program that did it our way and screw everyone else.
Is that really why you believe PSU alumni donate at a lower rate? IMO the two big reasons are (1) alumni feel disenfranchised post-scandal and (2) we don't trust PSU to spend our money responsibly

flash86

Oct 6, 2021
Yes. But in fairness, about $320mm of the debt incurred was to "earthquake proof" Memorial Stadium which sits smack on top of the Heyward Fault. Where Ms. Excellence fu@ked up was in adding a $135mm sports training facility and spending $6mm-$8mm on a financing plan that many knew wouldn't fly.

As it is, the cost of the retrofit is coming out of Cal's general fund (and, of course, TPTB say no tuition dollars), with the athletic department footing the bill for the training facility. The project originally put Cal in hock for 100 years (about 90 remain) and only interest on the debt is being paid until 2032 or 34 I believe.
If so much of that expense was due to earthquake mitigation, what is driving the cost for Beaver Stadium?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Yup, that's what aTm did with the renovation of Kyle Field; replaced plugs, changed oil, and filters. Same with USC at the Coliseum.

But what I really like is how you arbitrarily choose 2011 as the tipping point. Both of the projects above were done after 2011. PSU could have started work on Beaver Stadium after 2011. Indeed, it commenced the aborted Athletic Facilities Master Plan in late 2015. When unveiled the plan in 2017, Beaver Stadium (along with the BJC) were at the end of the queue, dates to be determined. But I guess it's easier to blame the dead guy for this mess.
The tipping point was long before 2011. We just started to publicly hear about it in 2012 when BO’B arrived and announced how outdated all the facilities were. Up until then, everybody just stuck their heads in the sand and pretended everything was rainbows and unicorns. Some continue to pretend with that mentality.

Reactions: bbrown and PSUJam

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The tipping point was long before 2011. We just started to publicly hear about it in 2012 when BO’B arrived and announced how outdated all the facilities were. Up until then, everybody just stuck their heads in the sand and pretended everything was rainbows and unicorns. Some continue to pretend with that mentality.
You have a quote from O'Brien on that?

And this discussion focuses on Beaver Stadium, not on football training facilities, which $105mm already spent should have taken care of.

Reactions: step.eng69

IBeBlockin

Dec 28, 2022
Thank you Barry for your article.

I found the part below particularly interesting, as it suggests there is no clear tangible outline of the benefits of this renovation. In 2001 adding more seats was clearly understood to add more revenue.
  1. There is no bang for the buck. Whereas the 2001 renovation added 12,000 seats to the stadium, as far as I can tell the $700 million project will add none. Instead it will focus on increasing revenues with premium amenities, but my own research suggests that these projections are overly optimistic. Even if true, these highly speculative estimates would be insufficient to prevent ICA falling deeper into debt.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Fair enough, O’Brien did specify the training facilities and the weight room was the first to be renovated.

And this discussion focuses on Beaver Stadium, not on football training facilities, which $105mm already spent should have taken care of.
What’s your solution? It’s easy to criticize but more challenging to come up with a solution. What’s yours? You seem to have a ton of time to post on here every day, so surely you have come up with a reasonable solution?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
While I agree with you on the financial impact of the $700 million proposal, and I agree that it seems unreasonable, I will ask you what I just asked another poster criticizing the proposal. What is your solution? I didn’t see your ideas for compromise in the article? What’s your solution for making the necessary improvements to the stadium? Do you think the stadium needs improvement? What is the solution for the long, unorganized, frustrating lines to get concessions or to use the bathrooms? Is their structural improvements that need to be made for safety? How do you propose that’s done in a more affordable manor? Where do you think PSU should turn to obtain the necessary funds to do so?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Fair enough, O’Brien did specify the training facilities and the weight room was the first to be renovated.

What’s your solution? It’s easy to criticize but more challenging to come up with a solution. What’s yours? You seem to have a ton of time to post on here every day, so surely you have come up with a reasonable solution?
I'm not paid to come up with a solution. Pat Kraft is. Is his proposal the best? I don't know. I haven't seen it. I haven't seen a cost-benefit analysis. I haven't seen a presentation of alternatives. And from what I gather neither have most members of PSU's BoT who have to vote on it this coming Tuesday.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Is that really why you believe PSU alumni donate at a lower rate? IMO the two big reasons are (1) alumni feel disenfranchised post-scandal and (2) we don't trust PSU to spend our money responsibly
I really do. I'm sure there's some that feel like that, but again I think our older alumni were fine operating at bare bones and hoping we could put a decent team together every few years while donating little or none before 2011.

After all, it was "college football" with "student athletes" that should just suck up the outdated facilities because they got a free ride. 😏

What happened to all of those people that donated all that money to TSM?

Last edited:

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
I really do. I'm sure there's some that feel like that, but again I think our older alumni were fine operating at bare bones and hoping we could put a decent team together every few years while donating little or none before 2011.
I'm glad we can respectfully disagree

And rich people who were on the Vichy-era BOT like "Cocaine Bear" Dambly and "People Who Look Like You" Frazier should be digging deep in their pockets for that $700 million

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
If so much of that expense was due to earthquake mitigation, what is driving the cost for Beaver Stadium?
I wonder if some of it is the fact that the Beav sits on limestone that may/does have caverns underneath. I'd always heard that was one reason for the Erector Set design--the ground might not be able to hold a concrete design like some of the other stadia mentioned.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
Reactions: Bison13 and LB99

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Good idea, but not going to make a major dent. Most lucrative naming rights deal for a college stadium was the original between USC and United Airlines that yielded $4.3mm p.a. (since revised; terms undisclosed) for the LA Memorial Coliseum.
I was talking with someone today who is involved with the process and 'rules of the road' for naming rights at PSU, including the field and stadium. Current valuation from outside consulting analysis is $5mm p.a. for the field, and between $5mm to $7mm p.a. for the stadium.
Both are being considered; however, with no frontrunner to take the deal at this point apparently.

Reactions: ValleyForgeLion

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
You cannot fix seats, build a new press box and construct more premium club area for $100m. This is not 1990. Now I do think they could do what is needed and add premium setting opportunities for 350 to 400 million. I would let the east side go.
Which is why you do a cost-benefit analysis on alternatives. Bets on whether one is presented? Bets on whether it has even been done?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Give me $100mm and I can get us a National Championship in three years - by hiring Urban Meyer.

My Work Is Done Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
He's a worse person than Dabo by a wide margin.

But Franklin is a worse person than either of them by a wider margin because Franklin doesn’t deliver enough of the wins that we deserve.

Ethics have no place in “college” football.

F*ck us.

Reactions: step.eng69
Nov 3, 2021
I was talking with someone today who is involved with the process and 'rules of the road' for naming rights at PSU, including the field and stadium. Current valuation from outside consulting analysis is $5mm p.a. for the field, and between $5mm to $7mm p.a. for the stadium.
Both are being considered; however, with no frontrunner to take the deal at this point apparently.
$5m - $7m? That's all? Goes to show how toxic the BOT has made the Penn State brand. Especially with the fiasco in February about naming Paterno Field, and the old guard acting like someone said Voldemort. This is a clown show and the clowns are driving a 52' tractor trailer loaded with nitroglycerin.

LOL. 'Welcome to Blaise Alexander Hyundai of State College Field at Beaver Stadium...'

Latest posts