Beaver Stadium Proposal:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I was talking with someone today who is involved with the process and 'rules of the road' for naming rights at PSU, including the field and stadium. Current valuation from outside consulting analysis is $5mm p.a. for the field, and between $5mm to $7mm p.a. for the stadium.
Both are being considered; however, with no frontrunner to take the deal at this point apparently.
Were those "consultants" hired by Sara Thorndike? Check for your wallet.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I wonder if some of it is the fact that the Beav sits on limestone that may/does have caverns underneath. I'd always heard that was one reason for the Erector Set design--the ground might not be able to hold a concrete design like some of the other stadia mentioned.
I Did a quick Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) soil survey & it appears the resulting soil horizons offer good foundation bearing resistance due to the bedrock six feet below the surface.
Of course, prior to performing the actual engineering design, site core samples will be taken to verify the underling soil horizons and determine the allowable foundation bearing pressure used in the design.

The term bedrock in soil survey refers to a continuous root and water restrictive layer of rock that occurs within the soil profile.

There are many types of restrictions that can occur within the soil profile but this theme only includes the three restrictions that use the term bedrock. These are:

1) Lithic Bedrock
2) Paralithic Bedrock
3) Densic Bedrock

Lithic bedrock and paralithic bedrock are comprised of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks, which are coherent and consolidated into rock through pressure, heat, cementation, or fusion. Lithic bedrock represents the hardest type of bedrock, with a hardness of strongly coherent to indurated. Paralithic bedrock has a hardness of extremely weakly coherent to moderately coherent. It can occur as a thin layer of weathered bedrock above harder lithic bedrock. Paralithic bedrock can also be much thicker, extending well below the soil profile.

Densic bedrock represents a unique kind of bedrock recognized within the soil survey. It is non-coherent and consolidated, dense root restrictive material, formed by pressure, heat, and dewatering of earth materials or sediments. Densic bedrock differs from densic materials, which formed under the compaction of glaciers, mudflows, and or human-caused compaction.

If more than one type of bedrock is described for an individual soil type, the depth to the shallowest one is given. If no bedrock is described in a map unit, it is represented by the "greater than 200" depth class.

Depth to bedrock is actually recorded as three separate values in the database. A low value and a high value indicate the range of this attribute for the soil component. A "representative" value indicates the expected value of this attribute for the component. For this soil property, only the representative value is use
d.

HaH Classification

Typical soil profile

• Ap - 0 to 10 inches: silt loam
  • Bt1 - 10 to 21 inches: silty clay loam
  • Bt2 - 21 to 56 inches: silty clay
  • C - 56 to 73 inches: silty clay loam
  • R - 73 to 83 inches: bedrock

Properties and qualities​

• Slope: 0 to 3 percent
  • Depth to restrictive feature: 43 to 98 inches to lithic bedrock
  • Drainage class: Well drained
  • Runoff class: Low
  • Capacity of the most limiting layer to transmit water (Ksat): Moderately high to high (0.60 to 2.00 in/hr)
  • Depth to water table: More than 80 inches
  • Frequency of flooding: None
  • Frequency of ponding: None
  • Maximum salinity: Nonsaline (0.0 to 1.9 mmhos/cm)
  • Available water supply, 0 to 60 inches: Moderate (about 7.2 inches
HaB Classification

Typical soil profile​

• Slope: 3 to 8 percent
  • Runoff class: Medium
  • Capacity of the most limiting layer to transmit water (Ksat): Moderately high to high (0.60 to 2.00 in/hr)
  • Available water supply, 0 to 60 inches: Moderate (about 8.7 inche
HcB Classification

Typical soil profile​

• Ap - 0 to 8 inches: silty clay loam
  • Bt1 - 8 to 19 inches: silty clay loam
  • Bt2 - 19 to 31 inches: silty clay
  • C - 31 to 59 inches: silty clay
  • R - 59 to 69 inches: bedrock

• Slope: 8 to 15 percent
  • Depth to restrictive feature: 40 to 79 inches to lithic bedrock
  • Maximum salinity: Nonsaline to very slightly saline (0.0 to 2.0 mmhos/cm)
  • Available water supply, 0 to 60 inches: High (about 9.2 inches
CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO ENLARGE;
1716132449137.png

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Yup, that's what aTm did with the renovation of Kyle Field; replaced plugs, changed oil, and filters. Same with USC at the Coliseum.

But what I really like is how you arbitrarily choose 2011 as the tipping point. Both of the projects above were done after 2011. PSU could have started work on Beaver Stadium after 2011. Indeed, it commenced the aborted Athletic Facilities Master Plan in late 2015. When unveiled the plan in 2017, Beaver Stadium (along with the BJC) were at the end of the queue, dates to be determined. But I guess it's easier to blame the dead guy for this mess.
I'm not sure immediately after 2011 would have flown either. ;)

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Barry, I know you weren't on the Board then but the Board of Trustees threw the university's greatest fundraiser and representative under the bus and into the spotlight to distract the media from any board members ties to the Second Mile, had no qualms about paying Louie the Liar Freeh $6 million dollars for his hit-piece opinion and vetted not one Sandusky accuser paying out more than $200 million dollars despite their ridiculous stories and providing indemnity for The Second Mile.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Give me $100mm and I can get us a National Championship in three years - by hiring Urban Meyer.

My Work Is Done Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
10 years ago. Don't think it's that simple.

Nov 3, 2021
That was a blood bath. Anthony, Alvin, and Barry were brilliant - the rest were clowns. Where has this Alvin been? He would have gotten easily re-elected if he had shown the balls he showed today. Totally owned the Penn State General Council. Pat Kraft looked like he swallowed a bowling ball but it's going to be his albatross and will be the reason he gets fired in two years.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

The universityā€™s Board of Trustees overwhelmingly but not unanimously approved the project request on Tuesday.... *snicker*

Nearly $700mm to renovate seems crazy - or am I wrong here? What would a brand new stadium cost? In real money, not State College grifter dollars....? Minnesota's new stadium (which only holds 50,000 (expandable to 80,000) only cost $288mm in 2009 - WTF are we doing here?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

The universityā€™s Board of Trustees overwhelmingly but not unanimously approved the project request on Tuesday.... *snicker*

Nearly $700mm to renovate seems crazy - or am I wrong here? What would a brand new stadium cost? In real money, not State College grifter dollars....? Minnesota's new stadium (which only holds 50,000 (expandable to 80,000) only cost $288mm in 2009 - WTF are we doing here?
24 elevators a bit overkill? They are MEGA expensive to install.

Construction costs have probably tripled since 2009 though. Which is why these things should have been taken care of then.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
24 elevators a bit overkill? They are MEGA expensive to install.

Construction costs have probably tripled since 2009 though. Which is why these things should have been taken care of then.

I saw in 2018 dollars the Minnesota stadium was estimated to cost $320mm. Think it's gone up another $200mm since then?

It's happening either way; weird that almost no one seems to be excited about this.....

Reactions: PSUJam

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I saw in 2018 dollars the Minnesota stadium was estimated to cost $320mm. Think it's gone up another $200mm since then?

It's happening either way; weird that almost no one seems to be excited about this.....
Yeah, Covid pretty much doubled construction costs and it receded mildly but it's still crazy expensive.

I'm happy for it, but I think it would be way more sensible and affordable if they just do the project start to finish and get it over with. It would suck for students, but just play all home games in the Northeast NFL stadiums.

Maybe put drive in type movie screen(s) in the tailgate lots for that season games to throw the students and hard-core tailgates a bone?

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I Did a quick Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) soil survey & it appears the resulting soil horizons offer good foundation bearing resistance due to the bedrock six feet below the surface.
Of course, prior to performing the actual engineering design, site core samples will be taken to verify the underling soil horizons and determine the allowable foundation bearing pressure used in the design.

The term bedrock in soil survey refers to a continuous root and water restrictive layer of rock that occurs within the soil profile.

There are many types of restrictions that can occur within the soil profile but this theme only includes the three restrictions that use the term bedrock. These are:

1) Lithic Bedrock
2) Paralithic Bedrock
3) Densic Bedrock

Lithic bedrock and paralithic bedrock are comprised of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks, which are coherent and consolidated into rock through pressure, heat, cementation, or fusion. Lithic bedrock represents the hardest type of bedrock, with a hardness of strongly coherent to indurated. Paralithic bedrock has a hardness of extremely weakly coherent to moderately coherent. It can occur as a thin layer of weathered bedrock above harder lithic bedrock. Paralithic bedrock can also be much thicker, extending well below the soil profile.

Densic bedrock represents a unique kind of bedrock recognized within the soil survey. It is non-coherent and consolidated, dense root restrictive material, formed by pressure, heat, and dewatering of earth materials or sediments. Densic bedrock differs from densic materials, which formed under the compaction of glaciers, mudflows, and or human-caused compaction.

If more than one type of bedrock is described for an individual soil type, the depth to the shallowest one is given. If no bedrock is described in a map unit, it is represented by the "greater than 200" depth class.

Depth to bedrock is actually recorded as three separate values in the database. A low value and a high value indicate the range of this attribute for the soil component. A "representative" value indicates the expected value of this attribute for the component. For this soil property, only the representative value is use
d.

HaH Classification

Typical soil profile

• Slope: 0 to 3 percent
  • Runoff class: Low
  • Maximum salinity: Nonsaline (0.0 to 1.9 mmhos/cm)
  • Available water supply, 0 to 60 inches: Moderate (about 7.2 inches
HaB Classification

Typical soil profile​

• Slope: 3 to 8 percent
  • Available water supply, 0 to 60 inches: Moderate (about 8.7 inche
HcB Classification

Typical soil profile​

• Ap - 0 to 8 inches: silty clay loam
  • Bt1 - 8 to 19 inches: silty clay loam
  • Bt2 - 19 to 31 inches: silty clay
  • C - 31 to 59 inches: silty clay
  • R - 59 to 69 inches: bedrock

• Slope: 8 to 15 percent
  • Depth to restrictive feature: 40 to 79 inches to lithic bedrock
  • Maximum salinity: Nonsaline to very slightly saline (0.0 to 2.0 mmhos/cm)
  • Available water supply, 0 to 60 inches: High (about 9.2 inches
CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO ENLARGE;
View attachment 577716
Dear God, I deal with this with the nerds at work. I come to this sports site to get away from daily work issues. I am entitled to not have to deal with work issues on a sports site.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Reactions: Midnighter

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

Edited my last post.

Reactions: Midnighter

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
I do hope many folks were able to tune in to the meeting today.
While, clearly, we were prevented from publicly deliberating the very important issues surrounding the proposal, it did (for those who tuned in) shine some light on the operation of the Board.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
For now, itā€™s f*ck the east side. How long will the beautiful people sit or stand for that? Thatā€™s where the luxury boxes are. Theyā€™re over 20 years old now.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Found the one excited person!
Do you know what this means!?

This means the BWI whiners can officially add this to their list of items they don't fully understand but feel like they are experts at addressing. This means more griping with entire NEW threads devoted to a singluarly hashed out subject. What a time to be alive......thank you Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Shiva, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Kardashian GIF by E!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Do you know what this means!?

This means the BWI whiners can officially add this to their list of items they don't fully understand but feel like they are experts at addressing. This means more griping with entire NEW threads devoted to a singluarly hashed out subject. What a time to be alive......thank you Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Shiva, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Kardashian GIF by E!

The good news is it seems like our BOT doesn't fully understand it either.

BOT & BWI Posters

Look At Us Paul Rudd GIF by First We Feast

• Haha
Reactions: LionJim

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Is the East Side ā€œprojectsā€ gonna get escalators or do we need to rope climb up to the second level? Asking for a friendā€¦..

• Haha
Reactions: Psu00

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Itā€™s only a matter of time before Brandon Short starts shilling for Mauti for a trustee spot. The bot needs more former football players.
Mauti is now an employee now so I'm not sure that can happen. It's ironic that guys like Mauti and Short who are pulling for the football team like all of us here are now vilified? Of course they want to give everything possible to the football team. They're former players FFS.

Reactions: DM-Burg Lion

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Is the East Side ā€œprojectsā€ gonna get escalators or do we need to rope climb up to the second level? Asking for a friendā€¦..
Don't be silly. There will be one open air elevator that holds 3 people for the East Siders Rude! Then 4 escalators running downwards so that you have to fight twice as hard to get up to the top. (They turn around and run upward halfway through the 4th quarter).

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
The university will offer you ride share rides in a small electric tuk tuk, taking you up the concourse ramps for a nominal fee*. Brought to you thanks to the generosity of Pepsi and Blaise Alexander.

* prices may surge during peak usage times.
* if traffic is slow users may opt to travel in variably priced express lanes for faster service
* in ride refreshments will be available, for an additional charge

• Haha
Reactions: Psu00 and rudedude

Latest posts