Best Fried Chicken 🍗 in Los Angeles?

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
I still love Pioneer Chicken. Have since I was a kid. They still have a location in Bell Gardens on Florence and another in Boyle Heights. I believe it's on Soto.
Are they still around. I used to eat a lot of Pioneer 40+ years ago. They had one in the Southbay years ago that I used to frequent.

Reactions: Diamond and Pudly76

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Now that I know where to go for pastrami.

1. Gus World Famous F CK, Burbank

2. Honey's Kettle F Ck, Culver City

3. Charlie's F. Ck, Inglewood

4. Stater Brother's Market, for a very good, cheap, quick pickup grub deal. 8 piece mix, 1 lb of a side + Hawaiian rolls = $10.95

5. Yep, Pioneer F. CK was very good, shucks they closed most of their stores. Saw that 2 R still in operation?

6. KFC was the King. The Original recipe from the mid 50's to late 60's was tops. KFC now days it's bad. What the hell happened?

7. Popeye's is pretty good for a quick pickup meal...

Last edited:

SCthe1

Aug 24, 2021
I know this is not in L.A. but Knott's Berry Farm had great chicken back in the day.
It is still good!

MRS. KNOTT'S CHICKEN DINNER RESTAURANT
A Family Tradition For Over 80 Years

Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant first opened in 1934 with Mrs. Knott and her children serving the first customers in their tea room. The restaurant has grown over the years into one of the largest in California, but the classic fried chicken dinner is still made the same way today using Mrs. Knott's recipes.

Located in: Knott's California Marketplace

Address: 8039 Beach Blvd, Buena Park, CA 90620

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Roscoe's is pretty good, although it can be hit and miss.

Same with Honey Kettle. Last time I was in town it was "to-die-for" good, but I got some the other nite and it was only mediocre. I can't recommend it, cuz it's no sure thing.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
It is still good!

Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant first opened in 1934 with Mrs. Knott and her children serving the first customers in their tea room. The restaurant has grown over the years into one of the largest in California, but the classic fried chicken dinner is still made the same way today using Mrs. Knott's recipes.

And DON’T FORGET THE PIE‼️

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
It is still good!

Ya, that's some good stuff, but too far to drive for me. I always wondered why they didn't open satellite stores. They'd have killed it, and Col Sanders, too.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Howlin Rays. Last time I went there, the line was 2 hours long. Worth it

2 hours for chicken? Yikes. I love fried chicken but that ain't gonna happen.

There's supposedly also a soul food place (annas?) that I hear has incredible fried chicken. I can't remember the name exactly. I'll post it when my daughter wakes. It's her favorite splurge place, but when I checked it was like $19 for three thighs. That also is not gonna happen.

I agree Albertsons/Vons/Safeway has very passable fried chicken, especially if you get it when it first comes out and is still piping hot.

Reactions: JayBird23

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I’ve always found, no matter where the fried food comes from, opening the lid/bag to evacuate the steam helps keep it crisper longer.
Just keep your fingers out, lest you want crumbs all over your car…😎

Reactions: JayBird23

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
2 hours for chicken? Yikes. I love fried chicken but that ain't gonna happen.

There's supposedly also a soul food place (annas?) that I hear has incredible fried chicken. I can't remember the name exactly. I'll post it when my daughter wakes. It's her favorite splurge place, but when I checked it was like $19 for three thighs. That also is not gonna happen.

I agree Albertsons/Vons/Safeway has very passable fried chicken, especially if you get it when it first comes out and is still piping hot.
Howlin Ray's is the originator of the Nashville hot chicken craze in LA. All other places in california are cheap imitations. There's a reason why the line is so long.

With that being said, I havent been there in 2 years. The wait probably isn't bad like that anymore. You should try it and find out what all the hype is about.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Howlin Ray's is the originator of the Nashville hot chicken craze in LA. All other places in california are cheap imitations. There's a reason why the line is so long.

With that being said, I havent been there in 2 years. The wait probably isn't bad like that anymore. You should try it and find out what all the hype is about.

Thanks I'll check out the locations and see how far I'd have to drive.

Edit: Opps, delivery only and I;m not close enuff. Looks good tho'.

The other place was Annie's Soul Delicious [Annie's Soul Delicious - Little Ethiopia, Los Angeles, CA (anniessouldelicious.com)] Known best for their Hennesey Wings, not fried chicken.

Oh, and it wasn't 3 pcs for $19, plus ... it was TWO. Hahahaha.

1634398471306.png

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
Thanks I'll check out the locations and see how far I'd have to drive.

Edit: Opps, delivery only and I;m not close enuff. Looks good tho'.

The other place was Annie's Soul Delicious [Annie's Soul Delicious - Little Ethiopia, Los Angeles, CA (anniessouldelicious.com)] Known best for their Hennesey Wings, not fried chicken.

Oh, and it wasn't 3 pcs for $19, plus ... it was TWO. Hahahaha.

View attachment 156725

$19 for two pieces of chicken? Inflation must be worse than I thought!

Reactions: Pudly76

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
Last time I went there was swarmed by bums afterwards
So you felt right at home , didn’t you? Lol love you bro just having some fun. I have family in Long Beach, for over 50 years. But it still is the best chicken around. Love you my man stay strong

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
I've come to really like Korean fried chicken, specifically the "BBQ Chicken" franchise chain.

I used to think Roscoe's was the best, but the last time I was there it was horrible.

Popeye's is really good for a large chain.

Pioneer chicken back in the day was my favorite, because (IIRC) they had a Tuesday special where you got 8 pieces for like $0.99 or something - which even my cheapskate dad didn't mind getting.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I've come to really like Korean fried chicken, specifically the "BBQ Chicken" franchise chain.

I used to think Roscoe's was the best, but the last time I was there it was horrible.

Popeye's is really good for a large chain.

Pioneer chicken back in the day was my favorite, because (IIRC) they had a Tuesday special where you got 8 pieces for like $0.99 or something - which even my cheapskate dad didn't mind getting.
Yeah, the Korean technique is to double fry their chicken. A real plus, as it makes it even crispier than most.
Another great option is the Crack Shack run by Richard Blais (a fine dining chef) who has opened a number of faster food restaurants. Locations in OV and San Diego county. Real good and reasonably priced.

Reactions: OxyTrojan

Latest posts