Big Ten Seeds

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Unfortunately there is no set formula. It is by vote of all 14 coaches, and in the past there hasn't been much love for the penn state wrestlers.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Unfortunately there is no set formula. It is by vote of all 14 coaches, and in the past there hasn't been much love for the penn state wrestlers.
Actually it's pretty straight forward. Seeds generally are pretty close to records against B10 opponents (including tournaments). In close calls (or wrestlers with fewer matches), they look at quality wins (and the quality of wins), and at overall records.

Example: Lujan will be the 14 seed at 125 -- he's 14-7 overall but 0-6 vs B10 opponents. Steen and Renteria will be the 12/13. They have comparable records (5-10, 1-3 vs. 4-10, 1-1). But Steen beat Lujan; Renteria beat Lujan's backup and has no conference matches left. So Steen will likely be the 12.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
My mistake, I assumed seeding would be handled the same as pre seeds. According to big ten website last year, pre seeds were the vote of all 14 coaches.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
My mistake, I assumed seeding would be handled the same as pre seeds. According to big ten website last year, pre seeds were the vote of all 14 coaches.
Those are not incompatible. Yes, they're voted on by the coaches. No, the coaches don't draw up the seeds themselves, or overhaul them.

The coaches as a group do reserve the right to adjust the pre-seeds, but they change very little in any given year.

Reactions: WV lion

Latest posts