18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
When you post a bombshell report and nobody replies:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I hope it becomes a HUGE mess and distraction for EVERYBODY involved, and that EVERYBODY loses!!
I guess UGA can't keep him from suing, but I'm surprised if Kirby hasn't discouraged it. He can't want this kind of drama going on.

Reactions: Lurker123

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Proving it may be an issue. I haven't read details of the complaint, but I heard on the radio it had to do with Napier supposedly promising money, then saying they didn't have the money after signing day.

First, I would think there are intermediates that handle this, to protect the coach who is supposed to not be involved. But even if there isn't one, isn't this really a he said, she said type of situation?

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Proving it may be an issue. I haven't read details of the complaint, but I heard on the radio it had to do with Napier supposedly promising money, then saying they didn't have the money after signing day.

First, I would think there are intermediates that handle this, to protect the coach who is supposed to not be involved. But even if there isn't one, isn't this really a he said, she said type of situation?
I would think, unless there was stuff signed. I skimmed a story on this yesterday (or the day before), and I came away thinking there was some paperwork done - My memory could be off though, especially given the cursory read I gave the article.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Hard to say. It would be surprising if Napier was dumb enough to put something in writing. Florida requires consent from all parties to record phone calls, so they won't have phone conversations to use. Perhaps Rashada's lawyers are just fishing for a settlement, hoping that UF and Napier don't want this thing to drag on in court.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Pensacola accuses Napier and booster and automotive technology businessman Hugh Hathcock of fraudulent misrepresentation and inducement, aiding and abetting fraud, civil conspiracy to commit fraud, negligent misrepresentations, tortious inference with a business relationship or contract, aiding and abetting tortious interference and vicarious liability. The complaint seeks a jury trial and damages of at least $10 million.

“Sadly, this type of fraud is becoming more commonplace in the Wild West that is today’s college NIL landscape,” said attorney Rusty Hardin, who is representing Rashada. “Wealthy alumni, consumed by their schools’ athletic programs, are taking advantage of young people by offering them life-changing sums of money, only to renege on their commitments.wdf

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
As the first scholar-athlete to take a stand against this egregious behavior, Jaden seeks to hold these defendants accountable for their actions and to expose their as-yet unchecked abuse of power."

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Pensacola accuses Napier and booster and automotive technology businessman Hugh Hathcock of fraudulent misrepresentation and inducement, aiding and abetting fraud, civil conspiracy to commit fraud, negligent misrepresentations, tortious inference with a business relationship or contract, aiding and abetting tortious interference and vicarious liability. The complaint seeks a jury trial and damages of at least $10 million.

“Sadly, this type of fraud is becoming more commonplace in the Wild West that is today’s college NIL landscape,” said attorney Rusty Hardin, who is representing Rashada. “Wealthy alumni, consumed by their schools’ athletic programs, are taking advantage of young people by offering them life-changing sums of money, only to renege on their commitments.wdf

Oh, fascinating. I did not realize Hardin was his lawyer. He represented Deshaun Watson in all his civil suits.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
As the first scholar-athlete to take a stand against this egregious behavior, Jaden seeks to hold these defendants accountable for their actions and to expose their as-yet unchecked abuse of power."
From that perspective, maybe this is a good thing to reign in some of these schools/collectives/etc from making pie-in-the-sky NIL promises to recruits.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Funny…….remember, the school or coaches can’t be involved in NIL offerings or handling. This is simply a way for players to make money off their own name, image, and likeness. Not to be used for paying players. Lol

I would have more respect for everyone, players and all, if they would just go back to the $500 handshakes that never existed. Right Taters?

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Funny…….remember, the school or coaches can’t be involved in NIL offerings or handling. This is simply a way for players to make money off their own name, image, and likeness. Not to be used for paying players. Lol

I would have more respect for everyone, players and all, if they would just go back to the $500 handshakes that never existed. Right Taters?
They would have to be a $50,000 handshake these days.

Reactions: Tngamecock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I can't believe they would put anything in writing. So I'm falling back on this being a he said, she said.

The lawyer that took the job must not feel it's a waste if time though. So maybe it's just to be the first to try and clean up this mess? That doesn't seem like it would be enough.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Rashada’s attorney is Rusty Hardin, whose has represented Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
I've been waiting for this type of situation to occur. It was inevitable.

Let's see if it makes it to litigation and what outcome occurs if it does.

The case may become a watershed event in the NIL age.

Reactions: 92Pony

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I've been waiting for this type of situation to occur. It was inevitable.

Let's see if it makes it to litigation and what outcome occurs if it does.

The case may become a watershed event in the NIL age.

I would bet with Hardin representing Rashada, this is likely heading for settlement. Even if there's nothing in writing, I doubt UF wants the ugly underbelly of NIL negotiations publicly exposed in a trial.

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
This to me is hilarious when you take into account all the kids who commit to a school, maybe play for a year - maybe not - gobbling up that NIL $$ only to bail soon thereafter. I guess it’s just a two-way dirty street. But we kinda knew that already.

Reactions: Cockywilder

Latest posts