BOT Meetings:

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Penn State Board of Trustees Meetings Thursday and Friday:

Thursday Schedule:
FINANCE COMMITTEE meets at 1pm
AUDIT AND RISK COMMITTEE meets at 2:15pm

Both are livestreamed at the link below - or you can attend in person in Room 207 of the Penn Stater Hotel.

Friday Schedule:
FULL BOARD meeting is Friday, in Room 603 of the Barron Innovation Building downtown.

You can join via the link provided below - or attend in person. Public portion of that meeting begins at 1pm.
Links to the agendas are also included below.

As always, I will also follow up with a report after the meetings (you may find them to be more informative than simply the published agendas) - you can sign up to receive reports following every meeting here:
Barry Fenchak For Penn State Trustee (list-manage.com)

Link for meeting times, locations, and agendas:
https://trustees.psu.edu/may-2-3-2024-thursday-and-friday/

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Thursday Schedule:

Both are livestreamed at the link below - or you can attend in person in Room 207 of the Penn Stater Hotel.

Friday Schedule:
FULL BOARD meeting is Friday, in Room 603 of the Barron Innovation Building downtown.

You can join via the link provided below - or attend in person. Public portion of that meeting begins at 1pm.

As always, I will also follow up with a report after the meetings (you may find them to be more informative than simply the published agendas) - you can sign up to receive reports following every meeting here:

Seems to me it should be the Finance and Risk Committee.

• Love
Reactions: Anon1648262989

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
For any interested, who haven't yet heard:

PSU Alumni Trustees elections:

Matt McGloin, Brandon Short, Carl Nassib in

Steve Wagman, Alvin deLevie out
That's messed up! Except the part about Wagman

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Alvin put himself out there endorsing McMoxie. He seemingly believed that McMoxie was a worthy candidate, and he may have also thought that hitching his wagon to a former QB would help him get re-elected. Now McMoxie is in and Alvin is out. I wonder how Alvin feels.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
And for those that didn't notice, Ms. Meats was, ahem, re-elected.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Is the prevalence of ex-student athletes on an university’s board more or less widespread nowadays or is Penn State an outlier?

I believe this is OSU’s BOT - pretty small. Don’t see any former football players…

Reactions: LionJim

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I believe this is OSU’s BOT - pretty small. Don’t see any former football players…

Former T™️osu football players are too busy with the NFL or jail to be trustees.

o_O

A2nit

Oct 12, 2021
Is the prevalence of ex-student athletes on a university’s board more or less widespread nowadays or is Penn State an outlier?

Apologies but bored this evening in a hotel room waiting for move out of my Sophomore. Don’t see a football player in sight, although an ambulance chasing lawyer I’ve seen on billboards on the scUM board going to soccer games in MI.
A comparison to supposedly peers in the BIG, one obviously superior academically and the other our Land Grant friend. If not interested in hitting the links, 8 BOT/BOR members at both institutions and if I remember, voted in by State vote.
Please correct anything Barry…

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023

Apologies but bored this evening in a hotel room waiting for move out of my Sophomore. Don’t see a football player in sight, although an ambulance chasing lawyer I’ve seen on billboards on the scUM board going to soccer games in MI.
A comparison to supposedly peers in the BIG, one obviously superior academically and the other our Land Grant friend. If not interested in hitting the links, 8 BOT/BOR members at both institutions and if I remember, voted in by State vote.
Please correct anything Barry…
I think you have a pretty good handle on things.

Everything about the PSU Board is an "outlier"

As to your point, yes, PSU is also an outlier wrt the "ex-ballplayer celebrity" element of the Board (and one could - but I won't do so here - discuss in great detail why that is).
Others have had some of that to lesser degrees. In the not too distant past even MSU (with an 8-member elected Board) has had George Perles (ex-football coach) on their Board (and, IIRC, at least one other former ballplayer not so long ago). But such cases are unusual outside of PSU.
The MSU Board is also currently a giant cluster (in different ways than PSU - which some may find interesting)

FWIW.... while the Alumni Trustee elections tend to be the eye-catcher at the May meetings, there were a few interesting items in the brew this week, at the BOT meetings (though it was a relatively slim docket on the surface).
I will, of course, be publishing those reports in the next few days, and shipping out to the mail list.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

Thursday Schedule:

Friday Schedule:

I think you have a pretty good handle on things.

Everything about the PSU Board is an "outlier"

As to your point, yes, PSU is also an outlier wrt the "ex-ballplayer celebrity" element of the Board (and one could - but I won't do so here - discuss in great detail why that is).
Others have had some of that to lesser degrees. In the not too distant past even MSU (with an 8-member elected Board) has had George Perles (ex-football coach) on their Board (and, IIRC, at least one other former ballplayer not so long ago). But such cases are unusual outside of PSU.
The MSU Board is also currently a giant cluster (in different ways than PSU - which some may find interesting)

FWIW.... while the Alumni Trustee elections tend to be the eye-catcher at the May meetings, there were a few interesting items in the brew this week, at the BOT meetings (though it was a relatively slim docket on the surface).
I will, of course, be publishing those reports in the next few days, and shipping out to the mail list.
Thank you Barry for being a first class gentleman.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I'm going to triple my donations. Math guys, how much is nothing times three?
"Nothing times three?" Or as LionJim says "Zero times three?"
That depends. If it is one of us answering, it is zero. BUT, with rare exception, if it is a member of the Board of Trustees, the answer is 'Five Thousand Dollars" and "we accept credit cards".

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Trustees approve property sales, directors for Penn State Health, medical center

Board hosts elections for various representatives

Here is a picture of what was sold for $3.1M referenced in the link you provided. As you can see, it's a large office building with lots of parking. You'll also notice the streets are new, curbs, and sidewalks are also new. The brand new Middle District of PA Federal Courthouse building just recently opened about 500 yards up 7th street (same street as the building sold). The entire area of the city is under major transformation due to the courthouse moving out of downtown Harrisburg to this new location.

Draw your own conclusions.

To give an idea of how close is to the new courthouse look at this screen shot. The taller building you see is the new courthouse, with the recently sold building on the near leftside of the screen shot.

Last edited:

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Is the prevalence of ex-student athletes on an university’s board more or less widespread nowadays or is Penn State an outlier?
The events of 2011 brought increased attention to relationships between the BOT and football. I'd imagine that's now a huge reason why ex football players have been running. For a time PS4RS had largely controlled the alumni BOT election, getting their endorsement was the only way to get elected. But they appear to have finally given up on stacking the BOT with their preferred candidates. Also I think voting numbers have subsided, arguably because everyone has realized the alumni representatives are too few and powerless to really accomplish much of anything on the board. The combination of those factors makes it easier for anyone with a recognizable name to win, and all of the football letterman meet that criteria.

Reactions: Midnighter

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The events of 2011 brought increased attention to relationships between the BOT and football. I'd imagine that's now a huge reason why ex football players have been running. For a time PS4RS had largely controlled the alumni BOT election, getting their endorsement was the only way to get elected. But they appear to have finally given up on stacking the BOT with their preferred candidates. Also I think voting numbers have subsided, arguably because everyone has realized the alumni representatives are too few and powerless to really accomplish much of anything on the board. The combination of those factors makes it easier for anyone with a recognizable name to win, and all of the football letterman meet that criteria.
Discounting the alumni-elected trustees entirely, has the BoT not given the football program everything it wanted? Or anything that the Administration has wanted? Therein lies the problem.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Discounting the alumni-elected trustees entirely, has the BoT not given the football program everything it wanted? Or anything that the Administration has wanted? Therein lies the problem.

Malignment Alignment!

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
The old guard BoT has rigged the system.

Anything else is meaningless. Only the legislature and courts can rectify their nonsense.

Reactions: Bob78