Buy/Sell: Picos injury cost us an SEC Championship

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Discuss.

I feel like we left four wins on the table with late inning pitching issues that may not have been in play had Pico been established as the third starter.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
LOL, no
Dohm was a bigger loss, Stone was a bigger loss, Loftin was a similar loss. I'm still not convinced Pico is much of a difference maker yet. He's only had one legitimate good outing.
If we had stayed perfectly healthy this team would have been a Top 8 National seed. It's still pretty good.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Maybe. Certainly agree that Dohm was the biggest loss, and we were fortunate with an easy SEC schedule (though didn’t look that way at start of season), but we lost a lot of close games. LSU by 1, Florida by 1 twice, UGA by 1, Ole Miss by 1, Ark by 2 and 3 after being up. We weren’t far off

Last edited:
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

patdog

May 28, 2007
Are you kidding? Sell hard. Not to mention injuries happen to everyone. If you’re not down a key pitcher for the season, you’re lucky these days.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Discuss.

I feel like we left four wins on the table with late inning pitching issues that may not have been in play had Pico been established as the third starter.
Pico had nothing to do with all the late inning meltdowns we had. Win the two games at UF, the blown game versus UGA, the second game versus UM and just one of the losses last week against UPig and we're SEC champs. None of this has squat to do w/Pico.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pico had nothing to do with all the late inning meltdowns we had. Win the two games at UF, the blown game versus UGA, the second game versus UM and just one of the losses last week against UPig and we're SEC champs. None of this has squat to do w/Pico.
Not to mention any of the 4 Q4 losses. That’s the real albatross on our resume.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This is a year where I will accept injuries being a reason we aren't something better. We are about where we should be with injuries to two-three pitchers. Not dead last in pitching like last year or dead last in the league like the year before

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
National Seeds don’t lose to Austin Peay. Twice
I had an old computer baseball game decades ago. It was a stat based text game. It had 20 of the greatest All star teams, 20 of the best MLB teams of all time up to when it was published, and a 1950s Washington Senators team that was supposed to be the all time worst team in MLB history. I ran a 10 game series between that team and the 1929 Yankees. That awful Washington team won two.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I know it pissed a bunch of you off that this team turned it around. But turn it around they did. Get a life folks.

Reactions: Hot Rock

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I had an old computer baseball game decades ago. It was a stat based text game. It had 20 of the greatest All star teams, 20 of the best MLB teams of all time up to when it was published, and a 1950s Washington Senators team that was supposed to be the all time worst team in MLB history. I ran a 10 game series between that team and the 1929 Yankees. That awful Washington team won two.
Good for you, Paw Paw. Let’s get you back inside and ready for bed

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Were they?
Were they missing several major cogs? I know you hate that we have turned it around this year, that is obvious, but give it a rest. Considering the injuries this has been a remarkably successful season. Sorry.
Good for you, Paw Paw. Let’s get you back inside and ready for bed
Ah, let's don't address the argument, let's attempt to insult the poster. Laughing out loud at you! 😂😂😂😂😂

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Actually, I am really enjoying this season. You should too because I’m afraid next season will look more like 2022 and 2023.
Laughing out loud again!!!😂😂😂😂. You actually DO know how silly you sound. You have to bring up something that hasn't even happened yet, and may not. This is absolutely hilarious!!!! Keep it up!!!

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Laughing out loud again!!!😂😂😂😂. You actually DO know how silly you sound. You have to bring up something that hasn't even happened yet, and may not. This is absolutely hilarious!!!! Keep it up!!!
I am looking at what we have at the Jr and draft eligible sophomore level. Again, enjoy what we have this year, but we left several wins on the table and that falls on Lemonis

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I know it pissed a bunch of you off that this team turned it around. But turn it around they did. Get a life folks.
Again, 17 you. I enjoy making fun of the haters, but you still can’t deny that we’ve underachieved by losing a bunch of winnable games.

As I say that, yeah, there are a lot of fans that are big mad that we may host. I can still acknowledge a culture problem with this team.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Were they missing several major cogs? I know you hate that we have turned it around this year, that is obvious, but give it a rest. Considering the injuries this has been a remarkably successful season. Sorry.

Ah, let's don't address the argument, let's attempt to insult the poster. Laughing out loud at you! 😂😂😂😂😂
Injuries happen, but the bottom line is SEC teams that expect to host don’t lose games to APU, AFA and UCA. But hey! Keep laughing you old fool.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Injuries happen, but the bottom line is SEC teams that expect to host don’t lose games to APU, AFA and UCA. But hey! Keep laughing you old fool.
You can go further. Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, etc. Just half of these games has us on the bubble of a national seed.

And if we don’t win a regional, no matter if we host, the yells will be LOUD as they should be. We are set up to win now.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I think the potential is there for this team to make a run. Pitching is getting healthy and our lesser hitters are getting hot. Just need a couple guys healthy again. Always better to be better late than early. Of course, it's a fine line with this team. So it could flop too.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Again, 17 you. I enjoy making fun of the haters, but you still can’t deny that we’ve underachieved by losing a bunch of winnable games.

As I say that, yeah, there are a lot of fans that are big mad that we may host. I can still acknowledge a culture problem with this team.
We have definitely lost some winnable games, but we have also won some losable ones. Baseball is a game of averages, totally. The biggest problem with this team, if you look at it objectively, is the bull pen. Specifically it's the late middle relief. We also had a closer problem but that has somewhat been resolved. I'm not emotionally involved with MSU baseball like I am with football and men's basketball. If you step back and look unemotionally at things, this has been a remarkable turn around. There aren't many coaches that could have turned this downhill train around in a high pressure environment, but our guy has. Embrace it, don't hate it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We have definitely lost some winnable games, but we have also won some losable ones. Baseball is a game of averages, totally. The biggest problem with this team, if you look at it objectively, is the bull pen. Specifically it's the late middle relief. We also had a closer problem but that has somewhat been resolved. I'm not emotionally involved with MSU baseball like I am with football and men's basketball. If you step back and look unemotionally at things, this has been a remarkable turn around. There aren't many coaches that could have turned this downhill train around in a high pressure environment, but our guy has. Embrace it, don't hate it.
I stop short of “remarkable”. We have an older team and we hired a good pitching coach - I’ve been saying a while we would be better.

I also think we’ve blown many more games than we’ve had close wins. But I don’t totally disagree about the average part. At some point, you are what you are. But that’s not remarkable.

And the concerns about the future are valid. We lose a ton this year.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Keep in mind, we had a very easy non conference schedule. We also played the two SEC teams that didn’t qualify for the SEC Tournament while missing UK and Tennessee, which are probably the two best teams in the conference. We have certainly benefited from scheduling this year. Yes, this team is improved from the run ruled setting team from last year, but being in the hosting conversation is legitimately where we expect Mississippi State baseball should be in mid May.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Discuss.

Don’t sleep on the base running blunders.

This team has made a historic turnaround, but we have lost a good 10 games due to idiotic coaching decisions…. either being stupid on the basepaths or Leaving the wrong pitcher in too long.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Keep in mind, we had a very easy non conference schedule. We also played the two SEC teams that didn’t qualify for the SEC Tournament while missing UK and Tennessee, which are probably the two best teams in the conference. We have certainly benefited from scheduling this year. Yes, this team is improved from the run ruled setting team from last year, but being in the hosting conversation is legitimately where we expect Mississippi State baseball should be in mid May.
You are just pissed that we obviously can't fire Lemonis this year. Just be honest and come out and say it. You wanted us to tank.