CAHOKIA INTENT TO STRIKE

ramblinman reborn

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2025
154
168
43
1. Yes
2. As I understand it, if you are not part of the union you still have the same protections and benefits but cannot vote in union decisions or run for office within the union. Socially, you may be a bit ostracized (what I noticed in one district but not sure of others).
3. Unsure
4. This is one of my biggest beefs. I have seen bad teachers be protected or some allowed to resign when they should have been fired. I blame fear of litigation for this as well.
5. I am not sure if you could say that school board's and superintendents act as a possible control.
6. As mentioned in #4, I hate that bad teachers are protected. I don't know if being able to more easily fire bad teachers and protect good teachers is like having your cake and eating it too?
Thanks for your responses.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CoachAgro95

cornerrat#1

Senior
Jul 1, 2025
754
785
93
1. Yes
2. As I understand it, if you are not part of the union you still have the same protections and benefits but cannot vote in union decisions or run for office within the union. Socially, you may be a bit ostracized (what I noticed in one district but not sure of others).
3. Unsure
4. This is one of my biggest beefs. I have seen bad teachers be protected or some allowed to resign when they should have been fired. I blame fear of litigation for this as well.
5. I am not sure if you could say that school board's and superintendents act as a possible control.
6. As mentioned in #4, I hate that bad teachers are protected. I don't know if being able to more easily fire bad teachers and protect good teachers is like having your cake and eating it too?
All.... Can't speak to the teachers union per say but was a union steward for AFSCME. Two decades of at times putting middle management and some up in the ivory tower in their place.

There can be bad actors on both sides. I could talk about the above points in detail for days but haven't the time or really the inclination. For me #4 on occasion was difficult. Representing an individual that wasn't by contract doing the position description pd requirement. And it's all about the contract.

Many people forget every three to four years managment and the union sit down and attempt to hammer out a new contract for the specified time period. They can go on for weeks. Having been on one the negotiating teams for my particular local it can get ugly.

Forgive me for losing track. Back to #4. Is it hard to represent a bum employee yep.... But the contract has the final say if it meets the criteria of discipline including suspension or even termination. Most important the contract is agreed upon by both parties and have to follow those specific guidlines like it or not. Ratsy
 

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,323
4,112
113
I appreciate your answers. Thanks.

Regarding your answer to my 5th question, I suppose you are right, but negotiations under the threat of strike, or during one, necessarily means that the kids are reduced to being bargaining chips at best and pawns at worst.
True but every situation is different. You have a union working under a no contract for a year, clearly negotiating was not going well. Deadlines make things happen.
 

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,323
4,112
113
Teachers should just take whatever salary is offered and be happy with it. They are lucky to have jobs. Something something indoctrination.

But seriously, every contract negotiation is different, every strike is different and potential strike is different. There are some strikes where you could most likely say the union was being unreasonable, and there are plenty that the district was being unreasonable and there are some where both are at fault. Painting the teachers as the bad guys is without having in depth knowledge of the situation is dumb and lazy. If you think differently I would question your intelligence or you are just out with an agenda. I said my peace.
 
Last edited:

ramblinman reborn

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2025
154
168
43
I think you should take these questions to your next school board meeting. Seriously, they'd probably love to discuss this with you... they should WANT to discuss this with you. If not, well then find some new school board members with your next vote.

Good idea.

What is the average salary for a teacher in the state of Illinois?

Public or private? :)
Do you find this to be fair compensation?

Public or private? Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

I feel that, by and large, both private AND public teachers are not compensated enough for the amount of work they do, and for the importance of that work.

To me, the issue here isn't if public school teachers make too much. Rather, it's more along the lines of how they are funded and how professional educators have seen the need to organize themselves to fight for reasonable wages, career protection, and for other workplace issues. More often than not, socio-economic inequities in public school funding result in the rich getting richer and the poor staying poor.

Do you believe compensation directly affects an employees outcomes? i.e. low pay equals low output, higher pay equals more productivity

Not necessarily, but I do think it is human nature for people who feel they are not paid enough to not bust their asses.

Do you agree that educating children should be the burden of the state/federal government?

From a funding perspective, yes. That would help eliminate some of the socio-economic inequities I mentioned earlier. I also think that private school parents, who help hold down costs by keeping their kids out of public schools while paying taxes for them, should receive some sort of compensation for doing so.

Does the state of Illinois currently have too many public districts, most especially in the rural/non-urban counties?

I don't know about too many districts. I will definitively state that the city of Chicago has too many public schools because the contract the district has with the union requires the district to keep open MANY schools despite them being seriously under capacity.

Just trying to discuss, I'm not criticizing you and hope you can understand and see that. I find your questions genuinely good, and wish more folks would ask them to their school boards often...

Thanks. I appreciate the civility in this discussion.
 

ramblinman reborn

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2025
154
168
43
True but every situation is different. You have a union working under a no contract for a year, clearly negotiating was not going well. Deadlines make things happen.

Is a deadline the same as a teacher strike?

If I have a problem negotiating with my employer, my only deadline is to say that "by X date, if we cannot negotiate an agreement, I will leave and take my talents elsewhere." I do not have the option to keep my job and simply not work until my employer becomes a more reasonable negotiator.
 

PowerI66

Senior
Jul 10, 2025
881
743
93
Is a deadline the same as a teacher strike?

If I have a problem negotiating with my employer, my only deadline is to say that "by X date, if we cannot negotiate an agreement, I will leave and take my talents elsewhere." I do not have the option to keep my job and simply not work until my employer becomes a more reasonable negotiator.
Yes. An Illinois teacher strike timeline requires a minimum of 39 total days to legally clear all state-mandated cooling-off periods. First, the school district and union must spend at least 15 days in formal mediation before declaring an impasse. Finally, both sides' ultimate offers must be publicly posted for 14 days, followed by a strict 10-day countdown once the union files its official "Intent to Strike" notice.
 

crusader_of_90

All-American
Nov 1, 2003
11,718
9,607
113
Is required lesson plans an unreasonable request? That is what this comes down to - they are ok on money, just not showing what teachers do in the class room.

 

Go Bucs Go

Junior
Apr 30, 2007
254
228
27
Just a question.
Has a Teacher’s Union gone on strike in April or May? The countdown has begun in those months. Teachers are already planning summer events. The are “exhausted”. They just want their 12 - 14 weeks of vacation. The word exhausted isn’t my word. It’s a teachers word. Teaching isn’t a bad gig. 30 years get a pension. 12-14 weeks off a year. There’s downside. Don’t get me wrong. But there are perks at the end.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Anon744449

mc140

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
8,859
2,949
113
Just a question.
Has a Teacher’s Union gone on strike in April or May? The countdown has begun in those months. Teachers are already planning summer events. The are “exhausted”. They just want their 12 - 14 weeks of vacation. The word exhausted isn’t my word. It’s a teachers word. Teaching isn’t a bad gig. 30 years get a pension. 12-14 weeks off a year. There’s downside. Don’t get me wrong. But there are perks at the end.

Depends when you got in. If after 2011 that is no longer true.
 

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,323
4,112
113
Just a question.
Has a Teacher’s Union gone on strike in April or May? The countdown has begun in those months. Teachers are already planning summer events. The are “exhausted”. They just want their 12 - 14 weeks of vacation. The word exhausted isn’t my word. It’s a teachers word. Teaching isn’t a bad gig. 30 years get a pension. 12-14 weeks off a year. There’s downside. Don’t get me wrong. But there are perks at the end.
mc140 is right things have changed after 2011.
I always looked at it as; you kinda give up working years monetary upside(compared to other careers) but get the pension on the back end. That is overly simplistic I know but there is some truth to it.
 
Jul 3, 2025
572
549
93
And that is why I went to private school. I could choose the type of indoctrination. The Jesuits like it when their graduates are productive and profitable members of society.
It's tough to connect the dots, clearly even for yourself as an educated Jesuit man, between how you and your Catholic order teach and how that makes public school teachers guilty of simply not caring for their students because they want the same basic rights and benefits at their workplace as all of us.

Do you condemn state and federal employees in the same manner for collecting pensions and negotiating their wages and benefits? Do you have the same hatred towards to service members who only serve 4 years, get out, then live off of your dime?

In the order we should be pissed off right now in this country, teachers imo fall far down the line.
 
Jul 3, 2025
572
549
93
Good job on attacking the taxpayers. That's a good look.
As an educated man, you should understand that taxes are necessary for our way of life. This is laughable bud. No one is attacking you... that's absolute theatrical drama at it's finest.

I grew up with guys just like you, dime a dozen in the private school world. Think because they choose private education they're entitled to **** on everyone else, most especially those in the public school world.

If the Jesuits wanted their students to be so profitable and outstanding members of society, why'd they start charging astronomical prices to educate them? Wouldn't the real Jesuit way be to offer every human the same luxury of education and moral compassing? Or would that be a stark contrast to the elitist manner in which you prefer to live?
 
Last edited:

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,323
4,112
113
If the Jesuits wanted their students to be so profitable and outstanding members of society, why'd they start charging astronomical prices to educate them? Wouldn't the real Jesuit way be to offer every human the same the luxury of education and moral compassing? Or would that be a stark contrast to the elitist manner in which you prefer to live?
There is a certain section of US population that talk about Christianity but then do and say things that are in stark contrast to what Jesus actually taught. But I digress.
 
Jul 3, 2025
572
549
93
There is a certain section of US population that talk about Christianity but then do and say things that are in stark contrast to what Jesus actually taught. But I digress.
Yes, yes there are. Even a Jesuit can comprehend that book incorrectly I suppose... If it can happen to them, the most educated, profitable, and societally contributing members of all faiths, then it can happen to anyone I guess. But I too, digress...
 

ramblinman reborn

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2025
154
168
43
If the Jesuits wanted their students to be so profitable and outstanding members of society, why'd they start charging astronomical prices to educate them? Wouldn't the real Jesuit way be to offer every human the same luxury of education and moral compassing? Or would that be a stark contrast to the elitist manner in which you prefer to live?

What's astronomical about what they charge?

The average cost per public high school student in 8 suburban school districts in Loyola's neck of the woods is $30K per year, with a high of $37K and a low of $25K. Loyola charges tuition of approx. $23K this year

The "Jesuit way" is not to make education free for everyone. That is not a sustainable model. Loyola tries to charge a reasonable tuition for those who can afford it. For those who can't afford it, they offer financial assistance...which roughly one-third of the student body receives.

Everything is relative, by the way. When I enrolled at Loyola as a freshman in the early 1970s, Loyola's tuition was $750 a year, and we thought that was a lot.
 

ramblinman reborn

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2025
154
168
43
One thing private schools are just as bad at is adding wasteful admin and development jobs.
Don't knock the development jobs.

It's development that bridges the gap between tuition and actual cost per student. It's development that raises the funds that private schools use to provide financial aid. It's development that makes possible capital projects like Loyola's performing arts center, MC's Barda-Dowling Stadium, and an entirely new campus for DePaul Prep.
 

CoachAgro95

Freshman
Aug 21, 2026
48
54
18
Is required lesson plans an unreasonable request? That is what this comes down to - they are ok on money, just not showing what teachers do in the class room.

I would say required lesson plans are just busy work for teachers and is quite ridiculous. Imagine if you were to hand in a detailed file everyday of what chores you are going to do, how much time to devote to them and then the expected outcomes of said chores.
 
Jul 3, 2025
572
549
93
What's astronomical about what they charge?

The average cost per public high school student in 8 suburban school districts in Loyola's neck of the woods is $30K per year, with a high of $37K and a low of $25K. Loyola charges tuition of approx. $23K this year

The "Jesuit way" is not to make education free for everyone. That is not a sustainable model. Loyola tries to charge a reasonable tuition for those who can afford it. For those who can't afford it, they offer financial assistance...which roughly one-third of the student body receives.

Everything is relative, by the way. When I enrolled at Loyola as a freshman in the early 1970s, Loyola's tuition was $750 a year, and we thought that was a lot.
Cool, a kid can get the same education, from the Franciscans or Christian Brothers or Sisters of Notre Dame or almost any Catholic Order in Central Illinois and downstate for 1/6 the price. Outside Illinois included in many markets. But sure man... Idk how to even relate to this. Argue's cost isn't blown up, then drops 10's of K's on folks. Again... Jesuit's, almost exclusively, prefer to be elitist over anything. That was my point. You helped nail it down. Why does educating a kid in Chicago cost more than educating a kid in Springfield, Champaign, or Quincy? I don't understand that part.
 

oldfan123

Freshman
Jun 20, 2013
239
72
15
That’s BS to do that to the kids. As a football player imagine pouring your heart,blood & sweat into your season only to be used as leverage by adults. 5-0 football team & you can’t tell me these teachers aren’t saying they will have to cave in to us because the football team will lose their undefeated season & maybe no playoffs if the strike lingers. As a player what would you do? I loved what happened years ago in Homer Illinois. The teachers went on strike. Parents moved away crippling the town which has never recovered. Kids left to go to other schools & the school went under. Many of the administrators & teachers there lost their jobs. When they tried to go to other schools the doors were shut in their faces bc they did not want that cancer in their schools. I recall during the 3rd strike in the Shepard/Richards/Eisenhower school district. Don Webster from Shepard was livid & flat out said in a newspaper article he hated the high ups for continuously doing that & wasn’t fond of some of the teachers
 

RetiredReferee

All-Conference
Aug 27, 2011
1,090
1,085
113
I agree, and it's not just teachers. I think it's BS that labor thinks they can do those things to get better pay, benefits, and better working conditions.

That's the not the America I believe in.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: PowerI66

ramblinman reborn

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2025
154
168
43
Why does educating a kid in Chicago cost more than educating a kid in Springfield, Champaign, or Quincy? I don't understand that part.
Newsflash: Cost of living is higher in Chicago than in Smallville, Illinois.

Cost to educate a kid is higher in private AND public schools in the Chicago area than outside of it. Home values are MUCH higher. Gas is higher. Most things are higher. Salaries, too. It is what it is.
 
Aug 7, 2024
992
644
93
I would say required lesson plans are just busy work for teachers and is quite ridiculous. Imagine if you were to hand in a detailed file everyday of what chores you are going to do, how much time to devote to them and then the expected outcomes of said chores.
Working in AC for 7 hours, 9 months a year and getting $47K all the while, spoon feeding indoctrination is a tough job...
 

crusader_of_90

All-American
Nov 1, 2003
11,718
9,607
113
I would say required lesson plans are just busy work for teachers and is quite ridiculous. Imagine if you were to hand in a detailed file everyday of what chores you are going to do, how much time to devote to them and then the expected outcomes of said chores.
I have never taught, but my kid teaches HS math and she has lesson plans she's developed. She is astounded that teachers do not have them for themselves to track milestones and stay organized. She has always been a list-dependent person.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CoachAgro95

KingMJ

Redshirt
Aug 6, 2025
64
42
18
As someone who has a master in economics and spent lots of time studying labor disputes, I have been paying attention here.

A few things I'd call out

1) Typically strikes which involve non-monetary issues last longer because compromise is tougher since both side tends to dig in

2) Strikes involving underperforming groups tend to last waaay longer because of the outside pressure on the government representatives to do something to change performance


Based on both of these things, I don't see this ending particularly soon.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: crusader_of_90

CoachAgro95

Freshman
Aug 21, 2026
48
54
18
I have never taught, but my kid teaches HS math and she has lesson plans she's developed. She is astounded that teachers do not have them for themselves to track milestones and stay organized. She has always been a list-dependent person.
There are many ways to track milestones and certainly lesson plans can help newer teachers stay organized. I feel it should be something that is the teacher's choice and not mandated. As a teacher, I don't like giving busy work to my kids and I feel like being expected to do a daily lesson plan is that. Hope your kid enjoys teaching and doesn't have to put up with too many AlabamaTimberwolf type parents that don't know any better!
 

4Afan

All-Conference
Sep 15, 2001
4,636
4,141
113
There are many ways to track milestones and certainly lesson plans can help newer teachers stay organized. I feel it should be something that is the teacher's choice and not mandated. As a teacher, I don't like giving busy work to my kids and I feel like being expected to do a daily lesson plan is that. Hope your kid enjoys teaching and doesn't have to put up with too many AlabamaTimberwolf type parents that don't know any better!
I guess I need help understanding how a lesson plan is busy work. Don't teachers have their days, weeks, and months planned out for what they're going to teach or where they want to be by the midterms? Are you saying teachers just wing it day to day? How is requiring HS teachers to submit a lesson plan different than college teachers presenting a syllabus at the beginning of the semester?
 
  • Like
Reactions: crusader_of_90

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,323
4,112
113
I guess I need help understanding how a lesson plan is busy work. Don't teachers have their days, weeks, and months planned out for what they're going to teach or where they want to be by the midterms? Are you saying teachers just wing it day to day? How is requiring HS teachers to submit a lesson plan different than college teachers presenting a syllabus at the beginning of the semester?
My take away is the issue of the level of detail or "if we agree how detailed will they want it". I can see both sides, I would assume meeting in the middle would not make much busy work. But meeting in the middle seems like a phrase from long long ago.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4Afan

4Afan

All-Conference
Sep 15, 2001
4,636
4,141
113
My take away is the issue of the level of detail or "if we agree how detailed will they want it". I can see both sides, I would assume meeting in the middle would not make much busy work. But meeting in the middle seems like a phrase from long long ago.
Well like they say, you know it's a good negotiation when neither side is happy...
 

CoachAgro95

Freshman
Aug 21, 2026
48
54
18
I guess I need help understanding how a lesson plan is busy work. Don't teachers have their days, weeks, and months planned out for what they're going to teach or where they want to be by the midterms? Are you saying teachers just wing it day to day? How is requiring HS teachers to submit a lesson plan different than college teachers presenting a syllabus at the beginning of the semester?
I think the term "lesson plan" is being used in a couple of different ways. Certainly, having a plan (what is often called a curriculum map) where we know what units, topics, assignments, etc. and how long we take on a given unit are all part of planning out the course. We do that type of "lesson plan" and it is important to have in place to not "wing it."

What I am referring to is a daily lesson plan where you have to type or write out a formal document identifying everything you will do and how many minutes of the period each activity takes, etc. is what I am referring to. Hopefully that clears up what I am talking about. Because of our advance planning through the summer or previous year, I have an idea of what I am doing everyday. I then feel it is redundant to then formally type out what my daily plan is to submit to a principal who will probably not read it anyways. Not sure if this is what is holding things up at Cahokia but I have heard of districts requiring the formal, daily plans.
 

crusader_of_90

All-American
Nov 1, 2003
11,718
9,607
113
There are many ways to track milestones and certainly lesson plans can help newer teachers stay organized. I feel it should be something that is the teacher's choice and not mandated. As a teacher, I don't like giving busy work to my kids and I feel like being expected to do a daily lesson plan is that. Hope your kid enjoys teaching and doesn't have to put up with too many AlabamaTimberwolf type parents that don't know any better!
She’s at a fancy private school. Teaching only AP classes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CoachAgro95
Edgy Tim

Latest

  1. 01 Edgy Tim Football Preview: Week 7 Top Games to Watch
  2. 02 Blue and Gold Football Recruiting Inside Chicagoland four-star LB Jameer Miles’ pivotal first Notre Dame visit
  3. 03 Edgy Tim Podcast: 3rd and Leng with Josh Jostes
  4. 04 K-State Online Football Recruiting What Taylen Washington brings to Kansas State
  5. 05 CaneSport football recruiting Five-star EDGE Kameron McGee, nation's No. 2 ranked recruit, is 'very high' on Miami