Caitlin Clark

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Jay Williams is saying Clark is the biggest brand in college sports right now. I don’t watch women’s basketball but I sure hope our team does everything they can to pay back Clark (really ESPN) for the hype they give her while continuing to minimize Boston. I am sure Boston gets her due…but best player in the nation for the National Champs and undefeated team? And they push Clark. She’s a good player sure. Some may claim race, but I’d say in basketball pushing a white person is rare, not the norm.

Reactions: Augusta_Gamecock33

TeeCock

Jan 21, 2022
Jay Williams is saying Clark is the biggest brand in college sports right now. I don’t watch women’s basketball but I sure hope our team does everything they can to pay back Clark (really ESPN) for the hype they give her while continuing to minimize Boston. I am sure Boston gets her due…but best player in the nation for the National Champs and undefeated team? And they push Clark. She’s a good player sure. Some may claim race, but I’d say in basketball pushing a white person is rare, not the norm.
She is Iowa. You stop her, you stop Iowa. That's not the case with Boston.

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
If you watched, you would see what they are talking about. 58% from 3 point distance. Many of her 3 pointers are from 25+. Never seen one like her

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I'm certain Dawn sees Clark as a great player and a challenge but will have a plan to win!
Our defense will be tested but they too will accept the challenge!

Reactions: USCEDGE

SC95

Joined Mar 31, 2008
Jan 31, 2022
Kind of a dramatic set-up. Hawkeyes will be the underdog.
Media will play this up, but that's expected
The way the announcers talked about Iowa and Clark, I hope the Gamecocks can keep it close. SC may get run out of the gym.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Clark is a generational player, even better than Boston; BUT, I’m so over the Caitlin hype I could vomit! I can’t wait to see SC shut her down!!
I disagree. She scores a lot bc she shoots a lot. She’s all Iowa has. So she gets all the opportunities. It’s hard to double and triple team a guard. But Boston gets that treatment constantly. Don’t get me wrong. She’s a hell of a player. Definitely a top 5 national player. If I were picking a team, I’d pick Boston first all day over Clark.

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022
I disagree. She scores a lot bc she shoots a lot. She’s all Iowa has. So she gets all the opportunities. It’s hard to double and triple team a guard. But Boston gets that treatment constantly. Don’t get me wrong. She’s a hell of a player. Definitely a top 5 national player. If I were picking a team, I’d pick Boston first all day over Clark.
Disagree? First player in women’s tournament history to get 40 pt triple double?? Okay bro

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Both are great players, but Boston would go before Clark in a WNBA draft. Aliyah is a 2 way player. She's the best defensive player in the country and draws triple teams on offense.

USC9195

Joined Jul 30, 2008 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Clark is a generational player, even better than Boston; BUT, I’m so over the Caitlin hype I could vomit! I can’t wait to see SC shut her down!!
She is, but I don’t think most coaches would pick her over Boston. Maybe they would. She’s certainly an unreal offensive player. Boston affects the game on the defensive end in many ways that don’t show up on the stat sheet. Clark will turn the ball over.…had 9 against Indy.

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022

"That ain't Clark. That's Steph Curry disguised as Clark" ~ BetaLiberalCock1

Good Lord.

What's her free throw shooting %? Best plan might be to insert a freshman and literally just foul her every single time she touches the ball and put her on the line. When the 1 freshman fouls out, put in another freshman and rinse / repeat. Literally don't let her shoot a 3 all night.

Hack a Clark strategy. ???? Could work.

01Fatboy

Joined May 23, 2009
Jan 24, 2022

Good Lord.

What's her free throw shooting %? Best plan might be to insert a freshman and literally just foul her every single time she touches the ball and put her on the line. When the 1 freshman fouls out, put in another freshman and rinse / repeat. Literally don't let her shoot a 3 all night.

you just giving them 2 points that way

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
you just giving them 2 points that way
yes but the last time I checked with reality in this universe, the math states that 2 points is less than 3 points.

I could be wrong because lately there are tons of people who will swear to you that 2+2 = 97 / with a straight face / and they are quite serious. (delusional)

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
The media will hype this game as if it were the greatest matchup in women's college basketball ever. It will be an interesting matchup of contrasting styles but these games rarely live up to the hype. Iowa is a very good team. South Carolina is a great team! Let's not forget that Iowa lost 6 games this year. We have 3 common opponents in UCONN, NCST and MD. They lost games to all 3. We beat MD twice and they split the season series with them, losing the last game by 28 points. Ironically, Clarke had a season high 45 points in the loss to NCST.

Only 1 player for Iowa could start for Carolina. Dawn will have a plan on defense even if it is just to play Clarke straight up with Beal and Amihere. She may get a few points but she will not shoot 100% which is what she would probably need to do for her team to have a chance against us. Once again we will dominate on the boards and if we keep turnovers to a minimum and play defense as we have all year we win handily....

Rk_kerk

Dec 16, 2022
As a Hawk fan, South Carolina is a terrible matchup for Iowa. SC should win by 15-20.

Iowa struggles against any quality post, and rebounding. Two things SC has in spades. SC has very good perimeter defenders. To make Clark work for everything. Maryland matched up better than Iowa.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Iowa has how many loses? Ha

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
I watched some of the Iowa/Louisville game the other night. The CC love-fest was 🤮. She’s talented, no doubt. I’d love it if we were to hold her to a single-single and have her foul out! (Of course I don’t see any of that happening. I don’t think she really gets herself into foul trouble either.)

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Clark is a phenomenal player. She has changed the women’s game in what is thought possible for 3 point shooting.

If she stays healthy WNBA championships, Olympic gold medals, MVPS are in her future.

When the media pits them vs each other it is just bogus. Different positions, different responsibilities and expectations. Compare the easy to grasp stats and Clark ALWAYS wins. Clark totally changes the game when the ball is in her hands. Boston changes the game simply by stepping on the court.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Clark is a phenomenal player. She has changed the women’s game in what is thought possible for 3 point shooting.

If she stays healthy WNBA championships, Olympic gold medals, MVPS are in her future.

When the media pits them vs each other it is just bogus. Different positions, different responsibilities and expectations. Compare the easy to grasp stats and Clark ALWAYS wins. Clark totally changes the game when the ball is in her hands. Boston changes the game simply by stepping on the court.
Agreed. It's also tricky to compare the stats b/c Clark averages 8 more minutes a game than AB. It's a double edged sword, but AB usually ends up not playing for much of the 4th quarter b/c she's already helped dominate someone into submission. CC has to play the majority of every game they play, averaging a little over 36mpg. And that's actually down from the last couple of years.

Reactions: winloseortie

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
yes but the last time I checked with reality in this universe, the math states that 2 points is less than 3 points.

I could be wrong because lately there are tons of people who will swear to you that 2+2 = 97 / with a straight face / and they are quite serious. (delusional)
U.S. Congress?

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The media will hype this game as if it were the greatest matchup in women's college basketball ever. It will be an interesting matchup of contrasting styles but these games rarely live up to the hype. Iowa is a very good team. South Carolina is a great team! Let's not forget that Iowa lost 6 games this year. We have 3 common opponents in UCONN, NCST and MD. They lost games to all 3. We beat MD twice and they split the season series with them, losing the last game by 28 points. Ironically, Clarke had a season high 45 points in the loss to NCST.

Only 1 player for Iowa could start for Carolina. Dawn will have a plan on defense even if it is just to play Clarke straight up with Beal and Amihere. She may get a few points but she will not shoot 100% which is what she would probably need to do for her team to have a chance against us. Once again we will dominate on the boards and if we keep turnovers to a minimum and play defense as we have all year we win handily....
Unfortunately, we did not play NC State this season - word through the grapevine is that schools like Dook and NC State now refuse to schedule USC until Boston moves on.

Sure wish we could have played them regularly in men's hoops after leaving the ACC.....

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Unfortunately, we did not play NC State this season - word through the grapevine is that schools like Dook and NC State now refuse to schedule USC until Boston moves on.

Sure wish we could have played them regularly in men's hoops after leaving the ACC.....
Iowa turned us down for a home and home as well.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

They gave up
86 to UCONN
94 to NCSU
82 to UMD in a win
84 to UMD in a win
96 to UMD in a loss

They gave up 88.5 in those 5 games. They just don’t play D. They want to run you dizzy and set a pace You can’t keep up with. They will need to score high 80s to beat us. Hold them to 70, which 20 above our average and we win easily.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
As a Hawk fan, South Carolina is a terrible matchup for Iowa. SC should win by 15-20.

Iowa struggles against any quality post, and rebounding. Two things SC has in spades. SC has very good perimeter defenders. To make Clark work for everything. Maryland matched up better than Iowa.
Agree. I expect Iowa to be creative early to try to get CC free for open shots, and they'll be somewhat successful. But as the pace of the game evens out and USC adjusts, I think it will be as you said...15-20 win. I think the major differentiator will be defense. USC has only given up 70+ in regulation twice in 36 games...@UCONN (77) and Maryland (75) a few days ago. Iowa has done so 18 times this year. USC is #1 nationally in scoring D. Iowa is 307th.

On paper, this looks like a terrible matchup for Iowa. While Iowa is #1 in scoring, USC is 7th, with Iowa scoring 7 pts more per game. But they're giving up 20+ more per game on D.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I'm certain Dawn sees Clark as a great player and a challenge but will have a plan to win!
Our defense will be tested but they too will accept the challenge!
I guarantee you there's a little chip on her shoulder as well about CC getting all the hype she's gotten over AB. You know that comment by JWill got her attention.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The situation reminds me of Jordan's early Bulls teams when he was their only weapon. I think he scored 69 in a playoff game they LOST to Boston. I'm not sure the Gamecocks have to stop Clarke as long as they shut down the other Iowa players and grab about 65% of the rebounds. You can waste a lot of double-teams trying to stop a generational player like Clarke, leaving their other players wide open for easy baskets. Just play her straight up so you can play the other players straight up. She'll get her points, but we're going to win 4 out of 5 of those matchups.

Reactions: will110

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
I agree with the TV pundit who said, “ the only team that can beat Carolina is Carolina “

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022

My bad.......wishful thinking I suppose.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I agree with the TV pundit who said, “ the only team that can beat Carolina is Carolina “
Yep. I usually hate that cliché, but it's 100% true here. What's the weakness someone can exploit?? 3pt shooting, I guess? And I'm not even sure you can exploit it, b/c it means you're doing a great job down low at limiting Boston, Cardoso, and Saxton, forcing the ball outside. If that's you're weakness it's going to be very, very hard to beat you. And it's not like the other parts of the game we're just average in. We are the best rebounding team in the country, best defense in the country, top 7 scoring offense, and #1 in scoring margin. It's just really, really impressive to look at the totality of what this team has done.

KjCush

Iowa Swarm member
Dec 18, 2022

Good Lord.

She shoots 84% from the FT line. You are a bona fide moron.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Wishful thinking on my part too.

Cal Poly got to host us, and they don't even have to come east for a return game.
Well in all fairness, we needed a second game on the West Coast. They volunteered, promoted the heck out of the game and were gracious enough to lose 76-39.
Charleston Southern got rewarded with a home and home for stepping in to the schedule late. I imagine the crowd next season will be rather pro gamecocks

Latest posts