Cam Is a Gamecock!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We Gamecock fans are used to downplaying expectations on the heels of tasting a little bit of success,. Does landing Cam raise expectations for the team next season?

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
We Gamecock fans are used to downplaying expectations on the heels of tasting a little bit of success,. Does landing Cam raise expectations for the team next season?
I don't know, I'm just glad we got him, even its just for a season, but time will tell.

I think he makes us better, what that translates into expectation wise, I think its to early to worry about.

Reactions: kidrobinski

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
He is a good player to add to the system, but I don't see just him raising expectations. We still need an experienced big that can score. We can get by with Jacobi, but I think we need another ball handler too. We have got pieces to be good, but still have some work to do IMO.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I don't know, I'm just glad we got him, even its just for a season, but time will tell.

I think he makes us better, what that translates into expectation wise, I think its to early to worry about.

I may be wrong, but I don't see him as a one and done. Needs to get stronger and needs to extend his shooting range. I see him more like a AJ Lawson type prospect that may need a couple years of college before moving on.

Reactions: Gradstudent

Abush

Jan 31, 2022
He is a good player to add to the system, but I don't see just him raising expectations. We still need an experienced big that can score. We can get by with Jacobi, but I think we need another ball handler too. We have got pieces to be good, but still have some work to do IMO.

Cam is a top 35 player that can score at all three levels. We have actually upgraded after Meechie left. That's hard to do.

While we do have work to do in the portal, bringing Cam in can't be understated. He has a chance to be SEC Freshman of the Year.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Cam is a top 35 player that can score at all three levels. We have actually upgraded after Meechie left. That's hard to do.

While we do have work to do in the portal, bringing Cam in can't be understated. He has a chance to be SEC Freshman of the Year.
He is a freshman. What did Kentucky do with all those Top 10 Freshmen that they had? Of course, Meechie was not as highly rated, but he had two years in our system to become the player that he was. I am not knocking the kid. I am just putting out there that expectations should be tempered. GG was a Top 10 recruit and he struggled to be a leader on our ballclub and the team lost a lot of games. This did not mean that GG was a bad player. Just meant that he was not ready to take us where we wanted to go. If Scott plays as well as Sindarius or PJ did as freshmen, we should consider that a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddFlanders

HuntinAces

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Feb 13, 2022
Valid point. At the same time, Cam won’t be counted on to be THE leader. Though Meechie left, we still return experience at various spots

Abush

Jan 31, 2022
He is a freshman. What did Kentucky do with all those Top 10 Freshmen that they had? Of course, Meechie was not as highly rated, but he had two years in our system to become the player that he was. I am not knocking the kid. I am just putting out there that expectations should be tempered. GG was a Top 10 recruit and he struggled to be a leader on our ballclub and the team lost a lot of games. This did not mean that GG was a bad player. Just meant that he was not ready to take us where we wanted to go. If Scott plays as well as Sindarius or PJ did as freshmen, we should consider that a win.

Meechie was streaky and too small to score inside (consistently). That is not Cam. Now, of course Cam is not going to shoot 100% from anywhere, but Scott is also different than GG in how we will use him.

Paris had to put GG in weird positions, because of lack of talent, and GG didn't want to rebound. Scott will absolutely be a SG, and I would be willing to bet he will be a starter by game 1, barring injury. I also don't think Scott will be looked at as a leader. To be honest, I don't think GG was initially supposed to be a leader on that squad. That is why Paris brought in Brown.

Also, UK had the SEC Freshman of the Year, in Sheppard. I don't think expectations should be tempered. There's a reason Cam could have gone to any of the blue bloods, and why he initially chose Texas.

Cam won't be the leading scorer, but we don't need him to be. We need him to be exactly what he is currently, and we already look better for next season. Our biggest weakness right now is the post.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Meechie was streaky and too small to score inside (consistently). That is not Cam. Now, of course Cam is not going to shoot 100% from anywhere, but Scott is also different than GG in how we will use him.

Paris had to put GG in weird positions, because of lack of talent, and GG didn't want to rebound. Scott will absolutely be a SG, and I would be willing to bet he will be a starter by game 1, barring injury. I also don't think Scott will be looked at as a leader. To be honest, I don't think GG was initially supposed to be a leader on that squad. That is why Paris brought in Brown.

Also, UK had the SEC Freshman of the Year, in Sheppard. I don't think expectations should be tempered. There's a reason Cam could have gone to any of the blue bloods, and why he initially chose Texas.

Cam won't be the leading scorer, but we don't need him to be. We need him to be exactly what he is currently, and we already look better for next season. Our biggest weakness right now is the post.
Yes, Kentucky had the freshmen of the year and ended up with the same conference record as us. Got eliminated in the tournament as the same round as us. I am not doubting anything you are saying. Actually, I have been watching the kid since he was a 10th Grader. That is when he played my son's team for the first time. I am just saying a Top 30 recruit is in the PJ Dozier or Sindarius Thornwell range. Very good players, but you generally don't expect them to change your program right away. I will say that is game changing in the fact that it changes our outlook when it comes to local recruiting. That is big for Paris as he attempts to build a program.

Last edited:

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022

Expectations should definitely be tempered. It's better for everyone that way, including Cam. Freshman take time to adjust, no matter the freshman. Let the game come to him (and let the more experienced guys take the burden at first), and he could be a real contributor next season (to the team, not just his own stats).

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
lol, we are the only fan base that tempers expectations when signing a top national recruit.

Life as a Gamecock.

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
Exactly, guys… we just signed one of the top talents in the country, and GG, another top past recruit, helped talk him into it. The point is LP seems to be able to sell something to top-level recruits. Yes, we need more help in the portal for next year. But LP seems to have something going here and it bodes well very the future. Be optimistic. Things at least look they are heading in the right direction. Can we really ask for more at this point? The cupboard was bare when Coach got here.

Latest posts