Charleston P-C columnist likes Stansbury as Odom replacement.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Stans's one of many mentioned:
<font size="2">McGee's playbook</font></p>

<font size="2">The hyper-competitive former Gamecock AD loved stealing a head coach from an SEC rival (Fogler) or, better yet, the Atlantic Coast Conference (Odom, Bobby Cremins, Ray Tanner).</font></p>

<font size="2">Current possibilities include Rick Stansbury of Mississippi State, Al Skinner of Boston College and Seth Greenberg of Virginia Tech.</font></p>

<font size="2">Plus: All three have won with less basketball support than South Carolina should be able to offer. Skinner loves his Isle of Palms vacation home. Intriguingly, Greenberg's staff includes Dave Odom's son Ryan and former College of Charleston assistant Stacey Palmore.</font></p>

<font size="2">Minus: It's rarely easy prying a wanted ACC coach loose.</font></p>

<font size="2">Bottom line: Pragmatic times three.</font></p>

LVDog

May 29, 2007
The AD at South Carolina, Eric Hyman, is much, much different from his predecessor. Stansbury's name was mentioned early by one of the Internet writers around as well, but there's not likely to be much truth in the rumor. Look for the Cocks to go after a younger head at a mid-major or a young assistant on a major program's staff. They want young and energetic, more like a Pearl hire to bring life to the fan base.

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
but that would be a bad move. Either guy from the acc would be a great hire. Stansbury gets a lot of respect on sc talk radio because his is obviously winning w/ inferior talent because how could he possible recruit well to msu?

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
a pretty good basketball history (they used to be in acc and Frank McGuire years were pretty damn good), and a pretty big city to draw fans from. Plus they are in the middle of basketball country. I don't think Stans would go but they should be able to attract someone pretty good (but I will laugh my *** off if they pick capel).

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
and capel would be closer to home. My point was that usc can do much better than capel who hasn't proven jack while at okla. If he can't win there, how is he going to win at USC?