Charlie Strong to the U

Gaimcock

Jan 22, 2022

Superstar90

Jan 26, 2022
He did better than Herman at Texas didn't he? I believe Strong is a better choice than several of the current coaches out there now. I wouldn't want him at USC, but I think he's a decent head coach. I wasn't a fan of his 3rd down defense, but other than that, he's pretty solid.

Reactions: CaughtLookin

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
He did better than Herman at Texas didn't he? I
Where did you get that idea? Tom Herman was 32-18 at Texas, 22-13 in conference play, with a 4-0 record in bowls, including a Sugar Bowl win and a 9th place AP final poll. His teams finished in the top 25, three of four years and played in and won a bowl every year.

Charlie Strong was 19-21 at Texas, 12-15 in conference play, only went to one minor bowl which he lost. None of his teams finished in the top 25 in any poll.

It wasn't even close, Strong was far, far worse. Herman had a lot of big wins and a 10 win season. Strong never won more than 6 games in a season. Strong is a disaster as a head coach. He has value as an assistant, as he is a good mentor to young black 17 and 18 year olds. But he is not organized enough to be a head coach.

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
Where did you get that idea? Tom Herman was 32-18 at Texas, 22-13 in conference play, with a 4-0 record in bowls, including a Sugar Bowl win and a 9th place AP final poll. His teams finished in the top 25, three of four years and played in and won a bowl every year.

Charlie Strong was 19-21 at Texas, 12-15 in conference play, only went to one minor bowl which he lost. None of his teams finished in the top 25 in any poll.

It wasn't even close, Strong was far, far worse. Herman had a lot of big wins and a 10 win season. Strong never won more than 6 games in a season. Strong is a disaster as a head coach. He has value as an assistant, as he is a good mentor to young black 17 and 18 year olds. But he is not organized enough to be a head coach.
Careful with facts, they tend to trigger irrational emotional extreme responses.
I encourage you to avoid disputes with folks whom are wrong

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Strong was decent at Louisville. I think he made a mistake taking the Texas job and everyone on both sides realized that quickly. But he made some $$. But itโ€™s not the Texas job that made me question his ability as a Head Coach. Itโ€™s what came after when he ran USF so far into the ground that they are just now coming out of it. That one really surprised me.

Maybe the Louisville success was a fluke. He did have some good players there that made him look pretty good. But he recruited and good players make coaches look good everywhere. Whatever the case, he hasnโ€™t been able to duplicate it. I think heโ€™s evidence that itโ€™s more than just coaching, but being the right coach, in the right place, at the right time. It all line up at Louisville. Not in Austin or Tampa.

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
Strong was decent at Louisville. I think he made a mistake taking the Texas job and everyone on both sides realized that quickly. But he made some $$. But itโ€™s not the Texas job that made me question his ability as a Head Coach. Itโ€™s what came after when he ran USF so far into the ground that they are just now coming out of it. That one really surprised me.

Maybe the Louisville success was a fluke. He did have some good players there that made him look pretty good. But he recruited and good players make coaches look good everywhere. Whatever the case, he hasnโ€™t been able to duplicate it. I think heโ€™s evidence that itโ€™s more than just coaching, but being the right coach, in the right place, at the right time. It all line up at Louisville. Not in Austin or Tampa.
QB Bridgewater made Charlie a ton of money.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022

He should have stayed at Louisville. Herman should have stayed at Houston. It's a matter of fit. But ego usually supersedes reason.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022

At Texas, they always want more sooner. Is Sark going to fall prey to that mindset out there?

York cock

Jan 21, 2022

Some people like to hear themselves talk and never back up their mouth with fact. You sir brought facts!

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
At Texas, they always want more sooner. Is Sark going to fall prey to that mindset out there?
That is certainly a danger. Scoring Quinn Ewers certainly bought Sark some time. The NIL world is just starting to change college football. Soon it won't look anything like it did pre-COVID. A&M got the NIL jump on Texas in that regard, but don't expect Texas to lag A&M long when talking $$$. Texas provided a 5-star Texas High School recruit that loved Texas with a good situation, would have a nice NIL and he badly wanted to play for Sark at Texas. But A&M came in with a NIL situation that was 17 times what Texas was paying (err, arranging). He couldn't turn that down, not being from a rich family. I doubt the rest of the conference realizes just how much money A&M (and Oregon) were throwing out there as NIL amounts. I bet A&M was giving out not just more than the rest of the SEC combined, but maybe twice that. I am not saying that was coming directly from the school, they followed NIL rules, it was NIL money from friendly business sources, but A&M backers made it happen. As competitive as school backers are this is really going to get out of hand quickly.

Reactions: King Ward

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
That is certainly a danger. Scoring Quinn Ewers certainly bought Sark some time. The NIL world is just starting to change college football. Soon it won't look anything like it did pre-COVID. A&M got the NIL jump on Texas in that regard, but don't expect Texas to lag A&M long when talking $$$. Texas provided a 5-star Texas High School recruit that loved Texas with a good situation, would have a nice NIL and he badly wanted to play for Sark at Texas. But A&M came in with a NIL situation that was 17 times what Texas was paying (err, arranging). He couldn't turn that down, not being from a rich family. I doubt the rest of the conference realizes just how much money A&M (and Oregon) were throwing out there as NIL amounts. I bet A&M was giving out not just more than the rest of the SEC combined, but maybe twice that. I am not saying that was coming directly from the school, they followed NIL rules, it was NIL money from friendly business sources, but A&M backers made it happen. As competitive as school backers are this is really going to get out of hand quickly.
Might already be there.

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
Might already be there.
Well there is out-of-hand like the children are running in the house, shrieking and making too much noise for me to nap ... and there is out-of-hand like an AC-130J Ghostwriter Gunship is pouring out 25mm shells from its gatling gun perforating the whole house. I think out-of-hand can and will get much, much worse.

Reactions: King Ward

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
He wasn't HC material, but to have him on the D side as an assistant is a strong move by Cristobal. MC putting together quite a staff.

Sources: Charlie Strong finalizing deal to become Miami Hurricanes' linebackers coach​

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...eal-become-miami-hurricanes-linebackers-coach
Miami can have Charlie Strong. Total failure as a head coach whereever he went. Maybe the BLM can get him a job in the Nobody Cares Football League.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Miami can have Charlie Strong. Total failure as a head coach whereever he went. Maybe the BLM can get him a job in the Nobody Cares Football League.
That's what I originally stated, but some individuals are not cut out for the HC position but do very well as assistants or DC's. Any SC fan should be very aware of that scenario

Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
That's what I originally stated, but some individuals are not cut out for the HC position but do very well as assistants or DC's. Any SC fan should be very aware of that scenario
Know your strengths and weaknesses. Maximize your strengths; minimize your weaknesses. Hopefully, for their own sakes, folks like Charlie Strong and Will Muschamp have figured that out.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Not Louisville. He should have sat tight and given himself time to fail there.

• Haha
Reactions: atl-cock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
The jury is certainly out, but as I tried to explain above, this NIL stuff is going to change all past results.
I still believe that the programs that get to the top and stay at or near the top will be those that possess top-tier coaching staffs. At that level, you need to have it all.

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
I still believe that the programs that get to the top and stay at or near the top will be those that possess top-tier coaching staffs. At that level, you need to have it all.
Yes, needing a good coaching staff is a given, but the collision between those with good coaching staffs and effective NIL programs and those with good coaching staffs and that ignore or downplay NIL will not look good for the latter.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Yes, needing a good coaching staff is a given, but the collision between those with good coaching staffs and effective NIL programs and those with good coaching staffs and that ignore or downplay NIL will not look good for the latter.
Unfortunately true, IMO.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I expect not. I don't know if the NIL environment will remain as it is, either. There's room for school and booster regulation as long as NIL isn't taken away. We're really just getting our feet wet on this.

Latest posts