Christmas Menus?

SouthHalls410

Senior
Oct 27, 2021
384
845
93
We eat our Italian Feast of the 7 Fishes on Christmas Eve… calamari- I pan sear the tubes that are filled w a bread stuffing like my Mom used to make and then put them into the sauce and serve over linguine. I make a linguine with clam sauce just using olive oil and butter and garlic. We also have cod, shrimp, scallops, tuna, salmon. I really miss my mom and her sisters preparing this on Christmas Eve. We would have a wonderful dinner and then get to mass at our Italian parish at 11 pm for the midnight mass so we could hear the choir prelude. I’ve tried to carry on their legacies. We go to the 4 pm Christmas Eve mass at the same parish and then we feast afterwards. Im a sucker for traditional things. ❤️
 

WanderingSpectator

All-Conference
Oct 12, 2021
655
1,108
93
We eat our Italian Feast of the 7 Fishes on Christmas Eve… calamari- I pan sear the tubes that are filled w a bread stuffing like my Mom used to make and then put them into the sauce and serve over linguine. I make a linguine with clam sauce just using olive oil and butter and garlic. We also have cod, shrimp, scallops, tuna, salmon. I really miss my mom and her sisters preparing this on Christmas Eve. We would have a wonderful dinner and then get to mass at our Italian parish at 11 pm for the midnight mass so we could hear the choir prelude. I’ve tried to carry on their legacies. We go to the 4 pm Christmas Eve mass at the same parish and then we feast afterwards. Im a sucker for traditional things. ❤️
We're the same. 4 pm mass followed by seven fishes (American style). Salmon spread. Shrimp cocktail, Baked Cod (Ritz cracker crusted), clam chowder, crab cakes, and lobster and scallop risotto. Can't wait.
 

Pa$ky859

Junior
Jul 4, 2025
192
368
63
My brother in-law was Italian, they did the 7 fishes, I did it one year, a lot of work!
My son in law is a Florida Gators fan and grad. His family literally does chicken fingers and fries every year. That’s it. My daughter feels cheated after coming from an Italian background lol. Admittedly, the 7 fishes is not my favorite Italian tradition. It’s a lot of work as stated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chumboshifko1

SouthHalls410

Senior
Oct 27, 2021
384
845
93
There are traditional fishes like calamari, baccala, eel, cuttle, mussels etc. we don’t go that far. Once I even made Progresso Clam chowder for my husband for the first time he had the Feast. Think the guy who married into the family in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. That was my husband marrying into mine lol. 😂
 

Nittering Nabob

All-Conference
Sep 17, 2024
3,618
3,439
113
Sous vide bone in turkey breast, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn sliced off the cob, gravy, and JELLIED cranberry sauce. And a turkey leg for my cat Percival.
Did you cook, eat and serve the same thing for Thanksgiving? Your menu sounds delicious for Turkey day.

If you like spicy things, Google Emeril Legassse's Cornbread Stuffing with andouille and ground sausage. It's a lot of work, but well worth the effort.
 

MtNittany

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
3,755
5,279
113
Did you cook, eat and serve the same thing for Thanksgiving? Your menu sounds delicious for Turkey day.

If you like spicy things, Google Emeril Legassse's Cornbread Stuffing with andouille and ground sausage. It's a lot of work, but well worth the effort.
Even 5 years ago, I did standing rib roasts for Christmas. Not anymore. Price of prime beef is out of whack.
 

mh-larch

Senior
Nov 20, 2019
321
688
93
Sous vide bone in turkey breast, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn sliced off the cob, gravy, and JELLIED cranberry sauce. And a turkey leg for my cat Percival.
Percival is one lucky cat........he's eating better than I will. BTW, great name 🐱
 

WanderingSpectator

All-Conference
Oct 12, 2021
655
1,108
93
What are the rules? Do you need 7 different dishes. One dish with 7 is pretty easy.
Traditionally, it’s seven different dishes and some are very hard core, like scungilli, baccalà, smelts, sardines, eel, etc…

We cheat and do what we like. Sometimes we do seven different. Sometimes we combine the shrimp, scallops, and/or lobster in the risotto.

in the end, it’s all about the tradition of cooking, eating, and drinking after mass.
 

rigi19040

Senior
Aug 1, 2024
1,120
673
113
Traditionally, it’s seven different dishes and some are very hard core, like scungilli, baccalà, smelts, sardines, eel, etc…

We cheat and do what we like. Sometimes we do seven different. Sometimes we combine the shrimp, scallops, and/or lobster in the risotto.

in the end, it’s all about the tradition of cooking, eating, and drinking after mass.

I'm not catholic. I am having feast of the 5 fishes. I'm making cioppino. Probably clams, mussels, shrimp, cod and maybe scallops.
 

JoeLion

Senior
May 29, 2001
457
772
93
Christmas eve feast of 7 fishes, christmas day standing rib roast, salmon and crab leg. 12/26 start new diet and workout plan 🥹
 

kgilbert78

All-Conference
Apr 9, 2013
1,102
1,706
113
Wish I could still eat seafood....

But we usually do lamb, if I am cooking. It will probably be turkey at my SIL's, as we got a $6 turkey deal (grocery anniversary day) that we left with them at Thanksgiving.

Standing ribroast is for NYE.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chumboshifko1

m.knox

All-American
Aug 20, 2003
5,077
5,086
113
Even 5 years ago, I did standing rib roasts for Christmas. Not anymore. Price of prime beef is out of whack.

Bought a prime whole tender lion at Costco to make a congratulatory dinner for a recent Masters graduate. Ran over $200 bucks. Crazy. Up $60 from August 2024.
 

GSPVik

Freshman
Jun 21, 2018
57
70
18
7 fishes cioppino on Christmas Eve.

Bone in rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, and lots of pie on Christmas Day.

Rib roast was less than $10 per pound.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chumboshifko1
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State-Northwestern notes: Wildcats to be without a starting offensive lineman; what does David Braun think of the Lions?
  2. 02 BWI Recruiting High School Recap: Future Penn State cornerbacks shine to close out September
  3. 03 BWI Football Leaving outcome to chance, Penn State's complementary football fails
  4. 04 BWI Football Wisconsin took away Penn State's best throw and stopped the run with one tweak: Film Review
  5. 05 BWI Football Penn State bowl projections: Where could the Lions play in the postseason after losing to Wisconsin?