165: Brian Borden - Unattached
165: TBD

174: Jack Kelly - Unattached

184: No Entry

197: Lucas Cochran - Unattached

HWT: No Entry

VSA 19

Oct 17, 2021
Does being unattached mean that they are likely to be redshirting, or can they still be on the opening day starting lineup? Hope this isn't a dumb question

Oct 29, 2021
Does being unattached mean that they are likely to be redshirting, or can they still be on the opening day starting lineup? Hope this isn't a dumb question
In addition, wrestling unattached means that it doesn't count as an official event date for Penn State (note that the Clarion Open isn't on their schedule). So, likely no PSU coaches will be there, and the PSU wrestlers won't be wearing PSU uniforms.

Str8dblz

Oct 31, 2021
In addition, wrestling unattached means that it doesn't count as an official event date for Penn State (note that the Clarion Open isn't on their schedule). So, likely no PSU coaches will be there, and the PSU wrestlers won't be wearing PSU uniforms.
Partly true, coaches can be there in plain clothes.. I've seen them there a few times.

Reactions: Garw and VSA 19

Goosfraba

Oct 29, 2021
Facundo and Van Ness make it worth the price of admission....almost. Damn Flo and their annual subscription!!!

I was with them for years but the Willie stuff compounded by the lack of PSU dual coverage really soured me.

Now Big10+, and Rokfin are ahead of them in my budget, and I can't justify paying for all three. Flo will be on the outs probably forever as far as I am concerned.

If they had a monthly or even a 3 month subscription, maybe. They are leaving money on the table, and a library of old content is great but I have been there done that.

Hopefully someone will post live updates throughout.

412Mike

Oct 12, 2021
Does anyone know if you need tickets for this event, or is it open to the public?

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
Does anyone know if you need tickets for this event, or is it open to the public?
Ignore this response, I had a major brain fart and thought the question was about the Spooky Nook event. Oh well...

Last edited:

82bordeaux

Oct 29, 2021
Tickets are required. I believe they went on sale in advance and seating is mostly first come first served, with some front row seats reserved at a higher cost. I believe the website for Journeyman classic has a ticket link

edit- link added, it appears tickets are still available, it asks for a bunch of info so I didn't keep entering

Journeymen Classic info link
Tickets for the Clarion Open are sold at the gate. The Journeymen Classic is a different event.

Reactions: Str8dblz

jgetty1014

Oct 27, 2021
Long time lurker (on the old board) first time poster. I'm wondering 2 things. First, does the Penn State TBD definitely mean there will be another entry for PSU at this weight class? Second, why would PSU not send starters especially at the upper weights? Is there some advantage to not wrestling and getting some matches in at this tourney aside from avoiding a possible injury?

Str8dblz

Oct 31, 2021
Long time lurker (on the old board) first time poster. I'm wondering 2 things. First, does the Penn State TBD definitely mean there will be another entry for PSU at this weight class? Second, why would PSU not send starters especially at the upper weights? Is there some advantage to not wrestling and getting some matches in at this tourney aside from avoiding a possible injury?
TBD just means they reserved a spot. I have seen many times nobody show up in those TBD spots.

If the team sends more than 6 ATTACHED wrestlers it counts as a team tournament

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
TBD just means they reserved a spot. I have seen many times nobody show up in those TBD spots.

If the team sends more than 6 ATTACHED wrestlers it counts as a team tournament
To clarify this 2nd point: it would then count as a "team competition." These are limited by NCAA rule to (IIRC) 16 per year -- including duals and tournaments. So the team needs to be judicious about sending wrestlers to opens.

tikk

Oct 11, 2021
Curious besides our guys (and the Lock Haven guys, whom I'll be shooting) which guys at any weight I should keep an eye out for. Not many names jumping off the page on Flo Arena.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

82bordeaux

Oct 29, 2021
Curious besides our guys (and the Lock Haven guys, whom I'll be shooting) which guys at any weight I should keep an eye out for. Not many names jumping off the page on Flo Arena.
See you Sunday. I'll look for you.

Reactions: tikk

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
At first glance, you are probably right, not a lot jumping off the page at you - although the abbreviated season likely has a lot to do with it.

Has got some solid veterans there but I wouldn't be surprised if some 4th and 5th-year guys aren't quite what you expect coming off the Covid year.

Jacob Allen/Navy - down at 125 after a couple of years at 133. Solid kid who I could see making some noise at this weight if the cut is not a problem
Werner and Gage Curry are there. Werner just dropped a match to a kid (Noto) which makes you do a double-take but is that a case of a teammate knowing how to avoid getting worked on bottom by him, or something else.
A couple of freshmen, Braxton Brown and Joey Fischer, were nationally ranked. I would think Fischer is a bit small right now based on HS, but who knows.

Not much
Strickland had a nice Crimson and White night for Lock Haven
Jordan Titus is a big recruit for WVU - he's pretty funky, wondering how he will translate at this level

Ryan Crookham, HS SR, is entered after a very long layoff.
Maybe I'm missing something but scanning the names, Josh Mason might be the favorite on paper, so...

I'll be really surprised if other than some kind of fluke, Van Ness does not win this. Who is going to beat him - Luke Kemerer?
There are a bunch of young guys from PA here that are of interest, but no one that will be in the national conversation this year unless they made huge jumps.

Cerniglia/Navy - best kid I've mentioned so far. I'd like to see him have a big year this year.

Peyton Hall/WVU - 3-2 at NCAAs last year as a true frosh
John Martin Best/MD - good recruit for MD
Stamm/Hofstra is a solid veteran
Thayne Lawrence/Lehigh - down a weight from last year. Lost to Meyer in wrestle offs but Meyer is solid

Jaden Fisher/Bucknell - up 2 weights from last year. Always been inconsistent, but flashes at times. Interesting to see how he fares at 174. IIRC he had gas tank issues at his previous weight.

Edmond Ruth is registered out of Harrisburg. Wouldn't expect a lot, but who knows. Cochran and Acciardi are the only names recognizable at first scan and they are not NCAA qualifier types (so far)

Martin Cosgrove, HS SR, entered - he's a top guy in the country. Caden Rogers is as well, he's been ranked nationally before in HS, is a PG this year at Malvern.
NCAA qualifier Jake Koser/Navy

Nick Feldman - one of the top P4P HS wrestlers in the country is registered. Will be interesting to see how he does against someone like Knighton-Ward/Hofstra, who is a top 20 type kid, or Wolfgram (WVU).

Str8dblz

Oct 31, 2021
At first glance, you are probably right, not a lot jumping off the page at you - although the abbreviated season likely has a lot to do with it.

Has got some solid veterans there but I wouldn't be surprised if some 4th and 5th-year guys aren't quite what you expect coming off the Covid year.

Jacob Allen/Navy - down at 125 after a couple of years at 133. Solid kid who I could see making some noise at this weight if the cut is not a problem
Werner and Gage Curry are there. Werner just dropped a match to a kid (Noto) which makes you do a double-take but is that a case of a teammate knowing how to avoid getting worked on bottom by him, or something else.
A couple of freshmen, Braxton Brown and Joey Fischer, were nationally ranked. I would think Fischer is a bit small right now based on HS, but who knows.

Not much
Jordan Titus is a big recruit for WVU - he's pretty funky, wondering how he will translate at this level

Maybe I'm missing something but scanning the names, Josh Mason might be the favorite on paper, so...

I'll be really surprised if other than some kind of fluke, Van Ness does not win this. Who is going to beat him - Luke Kemerer?
There are a bunch of young guys from PA here that are of interest, but no one that will be in the national conversation this year unless they made huge jumps.

Cerniglia/Navy - best kid I've mentioned so far. I'd like to see him have a big year this year.

Thayne Lawrence/Lehigh - down a weight from last year. Lost to Meyer in wrestle offs but Meyer is solid

Jaden Fisher/Bucknell - up 2 weights from last year. Always been inconsistent, but flashes at times. Interesting to see how he fares at 174. IIRC he had gas tank issues at his previous weight.

Edmond Ruth is registered out of Harrisburg. Wouldn't expect a lot, but who knows. Cochran and Acciardi are the only names recognizable at first scan and they are not NCAA qualifier types (so far)

Martin Cosgrove, HS SR, entered - he's a top guy in the country. Caden Rogers is as well, he's been ranked nationally before in HS, is a PG this year at Malvern.

Nick Feldman - one of the top P4P HS wrestlers in the country is registered. Will be interesting to see how he does against someone like Knighton-Ward/Hofstra, who is a top 20 type kid, or Wolfgram (WVU).
197 has Iowa commit in Kolby Franklin who's currently at Sem... Scratch that he must have pulled out.

Ethan finch is fun kid to watch who came from a tiny school called Sheffield and is now at Pitt.

Hwt has Whitehill who had a great career at Brookville. Also Jake Slinger who beat Whitehall out at Pitt. Nathan Taylor at Lehigh lived in whitehills shadows at Brookville. Wasn't wolfgram ranked pretty high in the PIAA rankings?

Munch at 141 and Tyler dilly should be good

I also find it awesome all the kids from slippery rock entered.. Not Slippery Rock WC but Slippery Rock which might mean the team coming back is gaining traction.

Last edited:

tikk

Oct 11, 2021

Not much

Thanks Dice (& @Str8dblz), great rundown, really helpful,

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Adding onto DIce & Str8dblz:

125: Colton Camacho (Pitt) - 2x PA state finalist, beat Curry at wrestle-offs last week 6-1.
Yeah, kind of what I was referring to about the 4th and 5th-year guys above. Curry has been pretty solid over his career, a borderline top 33 type guy, and I'm not sure you can say the same about Camacho. Unless Camacho is making a jump in his 3rd year, I would expect that Curry should win that match much more often than not. Same thing with Werner-Noto. But when you are late in the game in college and you have the last 18 months where training has definitely been impacted for some (maybe not so much for others) I expect that you may see a lot of subpar performances from guys in this situation. Not saying this applies to Werner or Curry, but I can definitely see it happening to a lot of guys in their situation

You've been living a wrestling life for 15+ years, constantly under supervised training for 10+ for many and that gets majorly disrupted, plus graduation and post-collegiate plans on the horizon without any dreams of being on top of the podium anymore - I think you'll see a lot of that this year.

amattaro

Oct 30, 2021
A pair of take downs in the first. Four point and two point arm bar tilts in the second. Out in about 25 in third and a throw-by (I think) for two in the third.

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Looks like Steen will open with Aidan Lewis - PA finalist. Kid is pretty scrappy and IIRC pretty good on top.

Reactions: Kevin310

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
HS kids:
Crookham opens up with a 4-0 win over Jon Miranda of Navy.
Feldman with Whitehill to start.

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Lucas Cochran opens with a fall over Ethan Finch. Then gets packed by Koser in about a minute.