Coach Franklin: Clifford will be 100% against OSU. I say no way.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
And even if he is all it will take is one hit and then he'll be back to whatever he was against Illinois. Maybe 50%? That hit will most likely come early in the game also since there is no running game for OSU to worry about. Saturday we may have to get by with a moral victory if we can even achieve that.

maddog317

Oct 12, 2021
of course hes not going to be 100.............im giving him 3 series tops before hes done.

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
Crazy to think that we're in a situation where we'd rather trot out a kid who (at best) is 50% healthy rather than play a backup because there is so little faith in his ability to perform. Backups are backups for a reason, but is this another example of Franklin's loyalty to Cliff, or are TR and CV really that bad?

Reactions: dcf4psu

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021
Crazy to think that we're in a situation where we'd rather trot out a kid who (at best) is 50% healthy rather than play a backup because there is so little faith in his ability to perform. Backups are backups for a reason, but is this another example of Franklin's loyalty to Cliff, or are TR and CV really that bad?
It may be similar as to why Cain still sees most of the RB snaps despite the fact that he still is clearly not 100% (injury free yes, but hasn't returned to his previous peak during which he was consistently breaking tackles)...but Cain rarely misses blocks and he secures the football, and thus gets a majority of the snaps, even before the other RB injuries occurred. Similarly, one significant reason that came to mind as to why an injured Clifford may still have invoked more coaching staff confidence than the healthy backups is that despite his limitations and subpar play on Saturday, he didn't turn the ball over...if Roberson or Veilleux could make a few plays that Clifford couldn't against Illinois, but yet also were showing a proclivity to turn the ball over in practice, the choice would become extremely difficult and could be questioned either way afterwards since neither choice was ideal...add a couple more positive plays but also a turnover or two and the game result could have been the same or even worse. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: FrontierLion

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
50% healthy? Where did you get your medical degree. When did you examine him?

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
Do you think he was 100% healthy? I didn't mean to get into exact percentages, here. Making a point that he didn't look right. I think everyone in the stadium could see that, agree?

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Cliff missed wide open guys in the flat in OT for the possible game winner. He also threw a horrible pass (overthrown) to a wide open Parker Washington in the EZ. Injuries tend to make you rush things and Cliff throws better when he can move out of the pocket. Ultimately, offensive execution, or lack of it, is what cost us the game. I would have had no problem winning ugly but we lost even uglier.

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
SC should not have played. I think Franklin realizes that now, he knows he screwed up and is kicking himself, so he really insults the intelligence of fans to say that SC is ok. I don’t know who he thinks he’s fooling.

Reactions: PAgeologist

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021

Maybe he was perfectly healthy, since none of us are his or the team's physicians. However, I don't think any of us need a medical degree or to examine SC to determine something was "not right".

Maybe a different observation that you can agree with is that he was perhaps 50% effective, at best. Sliding or throwing the ball away rather than turning up field for a gainer like the "normal" SC. Unable to turn back to catch the option pass in OT. Etc., etc. His play certainly was indicative of a kid who didn't want to get hit, and who was feeling it even to throw a downfield pass (did ya see the lame duck Dotson bailed him out on?).

NONE of this should be taken as a shot at SC, who is a tough kid trying his hardest. He was put into an untenable situation by his coach(es).

Reactions: FrontierLion

oldpsubear

Oct 28, 2021
To me if Franklin did claim Cliff is 100% thats more than enough reason to send him down the road. After two weeks of rest it was plain from the first snap last week he was injuried

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
It may be similar as to why Cain still sees most of the RB snaps despite the fact that he still is clearly not 100% (injury free yes, but hasn't returned to his previous peak during which he was consistently breaking tackles)...but Cain rarely misses blocks and he secures the football, and thus gets a majority of the snaps, even before the other RB injuries occurred. Similarly, one significant reason that came to mind as to why an injured Clifford may still have invoked more coaching staff confidence than the healthy backups is that despite his limitations and subpar play on Saturday, he didn't turn the ball over...if Roberson or Veilleux could make a few plays that Clifford couldn't against Illinois, but yet also were showing a proclivity to turn the ball over in practice, the choice would become extremely difficult and could be questioned either way afterwards since neither choice was ideal...add a couple more positive plays but also a turnover or two and the game result could have been the same or even worse. 🤷‍♂️

I am surprised that JF would get into a declaration that SC is 100%. clearly he was not normal. no matter what % anyone wants to suggest, if he is not scrambling and getting some yards running, then he is not right or close to full strength. if he is sliding down before contact behind the line, that shows me something is wrong. JF has always needed the QB to get some yards running as part of OFF scheme. that is why it is not simple to address the question of SC vs Roberson last week. Roberson would have given yds running but could also be more mistake prone than SC. Not a simple decision.

Reactions: Shadow99

WPB_lion

Oct 7, 2021
And even if he is all it will take is one hit and then he'll be back to whatever he was against Illinois. Maybe 50%? That hit will most likely come early in the game also since there is no running game for OSU to worry about. Saturday we may have to get by with a moral victory if we can even achieve that.
I chance. It appears to be his ribs and he took some hits last week.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Do you think he was 100% healthy? I didn't mean to get into exact percentages, here. Making a point that he didn't look right. I think everyone in the stadium could see that, agree?
If you didn’t mean to get into exact percentages why did you mention any? No I didn’t think he looked right last week. But the question posed is what is the state of his health for tonight’s game. My simple point is that no one on this board knows anything about that but that won’t stop the speculation will it?