Cole Snyder

Blitz8RU

All-Conference
Jan 24, 2012
77,396
4,171
113
Was he playing against the 9th string defense ?
2nd string and first string mix most likely.

I doubt they travel with their 3rd string defense.

Visiting teams can't bring their entire team on away games.

Snyder had better throwing mechanics and velocity on his balls and accuracy than Vedral has shown all season.

He is slower than Vedral so would be more of a liability when asked to run though, but not by much when you factor in Vedral's passing ability.
 

29PAS

All-Conference
Sep 21, 2001
3,698
1,503
113
It was our backups vs their backups. Still a wide talent gap in OSU favor in a backup vs backup situation. Their backups are 4 star recruits.

Simon came in even later and didn't look as good.
Did our backups beat their's 7-0? Couldn't keep track of when they all trickled in.
 

bitnez

All-American
Jan 18, 2006
6,683
7,633
113
I think some fans need to accept what’s going on here — GS is not trying to win 10 games because he knows we can’t. He’s trying to scrap together 6 and maybe 7, and he knows that for all of his limitations Vedral is the best option to do that. He generally takes care of the ball and he understands the value in living for another series.
 

RUTGERS95

Heisman
Sep 28, 2005
36,177
52,995
113
I think some fans need to accept what’s going on here — GS is not trying to win 10 games because he knows we can’t. He’s trying to scrap together 6 and maybe 7, and he knows that for all of his limitations Vedral is the best option to do that. He generally takes care of the ball and he understands the value in living for another series.
lol I can assure you that Greg is trying to win every game. Greg is conservative and is hyper focused (too much so to the detriment of the team as we see here and in the past) on turnover ratio. Vedral is the option that Gleeson wants due to the style of offense we have. Snyder doesn't have the fee Vedral does and instead of adjusting the offense to the talent, we've go square peg in round hole.

we'll see more Snyder this year sooner rather than later. Greg makes Ron Erhardt proud. The one thing I can't stand about Greg is his almost ocd like dedication to force him to resist the obvious
 

RUSK97

All-American
Dec 28, 2007
10,460
6,551
0
It was our backups vs their backups. Still a wide talent gap in OSU favor in a backup vs backup situation. Their backups are 4 star recruits.

Simon came in even later and didn't look as good.
I know you’re being kind, but Simon looked lost out there. I thought Snyder and Simon were supposed to be neck-in-neck, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RSnyder22

Scarlet Beach

Senior
Dec 9, 2019
543
880
93
GS, like any coach, certainly wants to win every game. But most coaches, when not completely delusional, are aware when they are playing an opponent where their team has to do everything completely right (and have some luck) for them to realistically have any shot of winning the game. Unlike the Michigan game, it was clear pretty early on that RU wasn't going to win today's game. That said, I think GS also has his eye on larger prizes, which is trying to get to a bowl game this year, continuing to develop his current players, and recruiting for the future. And speaking of QBs, which one is most likely to help get RU at least 3 more wins this season- that's most likely Vedral.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ChasRC69

RuBird

Heisman
Jun 28, 2001
19,116
24,752
113
Stunned Vedral stayed in the game so long. It wasn’t like the OL was constantly giving up sacks. Vedral was just off. Should have brought Snyder at the start of the 3rd quarter. Yes we still would not have won but better to get him more reps
 

ScarletDog

All-Conference
May 7, 2007
2,132
2,253
113
The key is arm strength. All these sideline screen throws --- Vedrals ball takes ten minutes to get there and our receiver is taken down right away much of the time. Snider comes in and zips the ball to the same spots and the YAC is significant. And for Christ's sake look at what Youngblood can do. Word is he doesn't run great patterns. Who cares...throw him the bubble and let him go.
 

Visengoth

Senior
Mar 15, 2021
378
665
0
Stunned Vedral stayed in the game so long. It wasn’t like the OL was constantly giving up sacks. Vedral was just off. Should have brought Snyder at the start of the 3rd quarter. Yes we still would not have won but better to get him more reps
This. If you are having a bad game, then you should be replaced by someone else. There are times when Vedral looks legit (like second quarter last week). And then there are times like this week where he doesn’t. I don’t get why Schiano picks favorites so much. Put the backups in or at least rotate out the QBs like last year. That was disruptive
 

Visengoth

Senior
Mar 15, 2021
378
665
0
I know you’re being kind, but Simon looked lost out there. I thought Snyder and Simon were supposed to be neck-in-neck, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Disagree. I mean if you take away the bad blindside sack, which wasn’t his fault, then he didn’t play too bad. Some high balls but they were still catchable. I agree that Snyder is better, but I wouldn’t call Simon lost out there
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,127
89,284
113
Teel said something about both Snyder and Simon during the game and/or in the post game that the passes they threw were single read basic pass plays.
 

RuBird

Heisman
Jun 28, 2001
19,116
24,752
113
Teel said something about both Snyder and Simon during the game and/or in the post game that the passes they threw were single read basic pass plays.
I heard it too. That said Give them some reps. Both can tuck the ball and run if first option isn’t there. Think Langan with better arms
 
  • Like
Reactions: Knight Shift

RU#1fan

Heisman
Mar 7, 2003
24,104
12,707
113
The key is arm strength. All these sideline screen throws --- Vedrals ball takes ten minutes to get there and our receiver is taken down right away much of the time. Snider comes in and zips the ball to the same spots and the YAC is significant. And for Christ's sake look at what Youngblood can do. Word is he doesn't run great patterns. Who cares...throw him the bubble and let him go.
This.
The limitations of Vedral has made the Offense very one dimensional and very easy for opposing Defenses to scheme for. Floating passes out to the flat and getting Receivers killed is a recipe for disaster. And the long pass ……..forget it because there is no arm for that. Give Snyder more reps and see what improvements the O can make.
 

RUTBAY1

Senior
Nov 8, 2019
499
945
0
I don’t know if the backups are better or not but I will say Vedral’s limitations are part of the reason why we appear to be able to move the ball but die in the red zone. Windows get smaller there and arm talent becomes that much more important.

I think Vedral will always have problems against talented secondaries but will look great against lower competition. That may be why Schiano/Gleason have him in there. There are only a few teams in the B1G who can put that kind of talent in the D backfield. Vedral may be the best option to get to 6 wins, I don’t know.

With the backups the ceiling might be higher but the floor is much lower. All things being equal what would you (or do you think the coaches) prefer? Looking like *** against OSU but making a bowl game, or having a close game against OSU but getting only to 5 wins because Snyder or Simon brain farted some losses to Illinois and NW?

I don’t know whether this is right or not but I’m unwilling to use OSU as a measuring stick right now. I think I’ll wait a few more games against lesser competition.
 

RUinPAC10land

All-Conference
Jul 30, 2011
4,408
2,159
0
I don’t know if the backups are better or not but I will say Vedral’s limitations are part of the reason why we appear to be able to move the ball but die in the red zone. Windows get smaller there and arm talent becomes that much more important.

I think Vedral will always have problems against talented secondaries but will look great against lower competition. That may be why Schiano/Gleason have him in there. There are only a few teams in the B1G who can put that kind of talent in the D backfield. Vedral may be the best option to get to 6 wins, I don’t know.

With the backups the ceiling might be higher but the floor is much lower. All things being equal what would you (or do you think the coaches) prefer? Looking like *** against OSU but making a bowl game, or having a close game against OSU but getting only to 5 wins because Snyder or Simon brain farted some losses to Illinois and NW?

I don’t know whether this is right or not but I’m unwilling to use OSU as a measuring stick right now. I think I’ll wait a few more games against lesser competition.

This is too simple. Cole Snyder and Evan Simon looked good against their back ups. If either one of them started the game, the results would have not been all that different. In short, we would have looked like *** with any of the 3 qbs as our starter. Perhaps, Vedral haters can make the argument that Melton would be healthy for the next game, but come on.
 

Boomer2828

Sophomore
Jun 4, 2018
105
107
0
This is too simple. Cole Snyder and Evan Simon looked good against their back ups. If either one of them started the game, the results would have not been all that different. In short, we would have looked like *** with any of the 3 qbs as our starter. Perhaps, Vedral haters can make the argument that Melton would be healthy for the next game, but come on.
ASSUME….Cole and Even were both winners in high school, multi sport 1st team athletes and up to this point have proven not to be intimidated when thrown into Big10 play! So, why would we believe they couldn’t make a difference? Timing and decision making is everything and Cole seems to delivery the ball on time and accurately….something to consider when assuming they would produce the same results?
 
Last edited:

mildone_rivals

Heisman
Dec 19, 2011
55,607
51,273
0
If it makes sense to play other QBs, the coaching staff will do so. Presumably, the younger QBs are developing and getting better. So at some point, unless they are really bad at the other stuff required of QBs in Gleason's system, perhaps another QB will show enough to the coaches to earn more playing time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Yeah Baby
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 The Knight Report Rutgers Football Postgame Show: Indiana Hoosiers Edition - TKR Pod
  2. 02 The Knight Report Join The Knight Report TODAY and get it for 60% off!
  3. 03 The Knight Report Rutgers Football HC Greg Schiano's Indiana Postgame Press Conference
  4. 04 The Knight Report Rutgers Football crushed by defending NCAA champ No. 6 Indiana
  5. 05 The Knight Report How to watch Rutgers / Indiana; Pregame Info, Spread, More: Gameday Central