Collegiate Duals in FL

ArkansasLion

Oct 11, 2021
When the news hit that PSU was going to participate in the Duals in FL, I was pumped. Even after it was made known that we wouldn't see PSU-Iowa, it is still an exciting event with a lot of intriguing storylines. Now, as we get closer, I am becoming more concerned and think the event would be much better if it took place after January 1. With PSU and many other teams sitting guys out until after the new year, coupled with the flu bug and resulting underperformance so far, and I'm not so sure we make it through unscathed. If the event were after the 1st, the only team in Florida with a chance at touching us would be Iowa. In December, there might be some toss-ups.

Hopefully, we see our best line-ups with guys getting multiple matches. Otherwise, they need to shift this event to 2nd semester in the future and get the best guys on the mat.

Oct 29, 2021
When the news hit that PSU was going to participate in the Duals in FL, I was pumped. Even after it was made known that we wouldn't see PSU-Iowa, it is still an exciting event with a lot of intriguing storylines. Now, as we get closer, I am becoming more concerned and think the event would be much better if it took place after January 1. With PSU and many other teams sitting guys out until after the new year, coupled with the flu bug and resulting underperformance so far, and I'm not so sure we make it through unscathed. If the event were after the 1st, the only team in Florida with a chance at touching us would be Iowa. In December, there might be some toss-ups.

Hopefully, we see our best line-ups with guys getting multiple matches. Otherwise, they need to shift this event to 2nd semester in the future and get the best guys on the mat.
I'm guessing there is a reason there aren't any tournaments after the New Year's weekend for a reason. You have Midlands and Southern Scuffle, and then it is duals until conference tourneys, right?

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
I haven’t seen any references that say Jan 1 is a magic day for staffs to send out many of their assumed starters for the first time. I think there have been an assortment of reasons and it may seem like it’s trending that way, but I think it’s more coincidence. We know some shirts don’t get pulled until post NY tourneys, and we know there have been a few transfers that may play in but I don’t think they’re the majority of the effect.

ArkansasLion

Oct 11, 2021
I haven’t seen any references that say Jan 1 is a magic day for staffs to send out many of their assumed starters for the first time. I think there have been an assortment of reasons and it may seem like it’s trending that way, but I think it’s more coincidence. We know some shirts don’t get pulled until post NY tourneys, and we know there have been a few transfers that may play in but I don’t think they’re the majority of the effect.
January 1st isn't the "magic day," but 2nd semester is certainly more competitive than the 1st. As you said, guys get their shirts pulled after New Year's and some of the transfers are eligible in the 2nd semester that are not in the 1st. Initially, they marketed this event as National Duals. Hardly a determining event when half the teams are trotting out 2nd and 3rd teamers. As a fan of the sport, I just want to see the best guys banging heads with the best guys. I know Cael and the rest of the high-level coaches could care less what I think and are more concerned with where the team is in March, but I'd be a lot more excited if I know all of these teams are going to send out their best units.

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Have to fill the holes in our lineup or we will have little chance against Iowa. Love the guys and their effort, and wish they can improve a lot.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
January 1st isn't the "magic day," but 2nd semester is certainly more competitive than the 1st. As you said, guys get their shirts pulled after New Year's and some of the transfers are eligible in the 2nd semester that are not in the 1st. Initially, they marketed this event as National Duals. Hardly a determining event when half the teams are trotting out 2nd and 3rd teamers. As a fan of the sport, I just want to see the best guys banging heads with the best guys. I know Cael and the rest of the high-level coaches could care less what I think and are more concerned with where the team is in March, but I'd be a lot more excited if I know all of these teams are going to send out their best units.
The Brand's #1 goal is to protect the seed. They screwed up with Warner.

Flex Luther

Oct 31, 2021
Anyone know if Lewis Fernandez of Cornell will be ready to go for the duals? Being from NJ I know he’s a talented hwt, would love to see him vs Kerk.

anyone think we get Yanni vs Nick Lee or will Lee sit this one out with the knee issue still?

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
Anyone know if Lewis Fernandez of Cornell will be ready to go for the duals? Being from NJ I know he’s a talented hwt, would love to see him vs Kerk.

anyone think we get Yanni vs Nick Lee or will Lee sit this one out with the knee issue still?
Not sure about Fernandez, but Yianni is likely to stay at 149 this year. RBY-Vito will be the marquee matchup, hopefully—Vito may be descending to 125.

Oct 29, 2021
Not sure about Fernandez, but Yianni is likely to stay at 149 this year. RBY-Vito will be the marquee matchup, hopefully—Vito may be descending to 125.
Looks like Yianni will be at 149 going forward (Handlovic is doing pretty well at 141), and I wouldn't be surprised to see Vito at 125 for the season (Greg D at 125 needs some work). Still lots of moving parts in Ithaca.

If none of those matches occur, then hopefully Darmstadt is at 197: that'll be a match!

Fernandes should be ready. He hurt his knee a bit against Stanford, but IIRC Coach Grey indicated he was held out of CKLV due to "an abundance of caution." So we may see him next week, but going against Kerk to start out might be a bit much.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
I think of Darmstadt as another Wick-like guy. He can beat anyone if he locks you up, but has matches where he’s otherwise overmatched if he doesn’t hit it. Actually Wick has shown to be a notch above that in terms of being in matches. In any event you can’t feel safe as long as he’s on the mat with you.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Oct 29, 2021
I think of Darmstadt as another Wick-like guy. He can beat anyone if he locks you up, but has matches where he’s otherwise overmatched if he doesn’t hit it. Actually Wick has shown to be a notch above that in terms of being in matches. In any event you can’t feel safe as long as he’s on the mat with you.
I don't know if the same happens when wrestling Wick, but most guys don't take down against Darmstadt, and Darmstadt often takes top in the third period. I remember him shutting out Willie Miklus 9-0 with about 6:00 riding time his freshman year.

mtu5000

Oct 31, 2021

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Cornell is shutting down its campus due to a COVID outbreak and the CNN article mentions that all athletics are canceled...

"As of result, all final exams for the end of the semester will be moved online, all activities and athletics are canceled and the libraries are closed, Pollack wrote in a letter to the student body posted Tuesday."

Cornell University shuts down Ithaca campus after surge of nearly 500 Covid-19 cases detected
Is there a way to ‘dislike’ a post..? 😫

Oct 29, 2021
Cornell is shutting down its campus due to a COVID outbreak and the CNN article mentions that all athletics are canceled...

"As of result, all final exams for the end of the semester will be moved online, all activities and athletics are canceled and the libraries are closed, Pollack wrote in a letter to the student body posted Tuesday."

Cornell University shuts down Ithaca campus after surge of nearly 500 Covid-19 cases detected
Cornell's finals are the next couple of days, then everyone leaves for a month. They have cancelled a couple of Sunday basketball games on campus.

ArkansasLion

Oct 11, 2021

Iowa: holds out key wrestlers and gets called out for ducking.
Cornell: "Hold my beer!"

pbohan1

Oct 30, 2021
It would be nice if Cornell cannot compete to find a replacement team or offer 5 team round robin between PSU, ASU, VT, Hofstra, and UNI.

Flex Luther

Oct 31, 2021
Would be really cool if Yanni dropped to 41 to wrestle Lee or Lee bumped up to 49 for this dual. I’ll admit that I’m nothing more then a casual fan but it would be cool to see wrestler move a weight or two for a big showdown like they do in high school.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Sorry if already posted. To watch - I cut and pasted from a Rokfin ad. I just signed up for BTN+ so I’ll be listening to Jeff Byers.
*Penn State's Matches
Monday, December 20th
7:00 p.m. ET-Penn State wrestles Northern Iowa
9:00 p.m.- ET-Penn State wrestles Cornell
Tuesday, December 21st
TBA-Dual time and opponents will depend upon Monday results.
How to Watch
To watch the Collegiate Duals LIVE, you must have a Rokfin subscription ($9.99/month) and pay for the PPV ($10 one-time fee). This means those brand new to Rokfin will need to pay $19.99 in total to view the event. Current subscribers only need to pay the PPV price of $10. Note: PPV subscribers get access to all Rokfin premium content. Subscriptions renew monthly or annually, and you can cancel anytime.

IronLion

Oct 12, 2021
I’m going, looking forward to it. Anyone surprised they have us and Iowa going at the same times? Would have thought they would separated the two “marquee” teams.

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
Sorry if already posted. To watch - I cut and pasted from a Rokfin ad. I just signed up for BTN+ so I’ll be listening to Jeff Byers.
*Penn State's Matches
Monday, December 20th
7:00 p.m. ET-Penn State wrestles Northern Iowa
9:00 p.m.- ET-Penn State wrestles Cornell
Tuesday, December 21st
TBA-Dual time and opponents will depend upon Monday results.
How to Watch
To watch the Collegiate Duals LIVE, you must have a Rokfin subscription ($9.99/month) and pay for the PPV ($10 one-time fee). This means those brand new to Rokfin will need to pay $19.99 in total to view the event. Current subscribers only need to pay the PPV price of $10. Note: PPV subscribers get access to all Rokfin premium content. Subscriptions renew monthly or annually, and you can cancel anytime.
I am wondering about your comment about signing up for BTN+ and listening to Byers? You do know you can listen to Byers for free through either the gopsusports site, gopsusports app, or the radiostation website, right? I wasn’t sure if the comment was connected.

Oct 31, 2021
Hope everyone finds a way to watch it. No matter how you watch it , synching w Iron head is the way to go. His audio alone is worth it! ( My understanding it s $10 Rokfin pay per view. to watch )

Now, How about some thoughts on our lineup as well as the 15,16 wrestlers we bring. It s 3 days away.

Matchups ? Teams and individuals .Gonna be great! Let s talk about it. I ll start : Along w our lineup , what do you think Cornell s looks like? Vito 125? 197? Hwt?
And who will win ASU ( I hear Valencia coming straight from tournament in Mexico and will be there , w covid rules, I mean government mandates, We ll see) finals v Va Tech. U NI some great kids too. A lot to look fwd to. Will be dodgeball level “ fun” ! Those of you w Baschamania podcast , he and Corby did a nice preview show. Basch is a real PSU Homer. Love it! Thought I was bad. Lol. Enjoy guys Merry Christmas !
and a Happy Holiday season.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Oct 29, 2021
Hope everyone finds a way to watch it. No matter how you watch it , synching w Iron head is the way to go. His audio alone is worth it! ( My understanding it s $10 Rokfin pay per view. to watch )

Now, How about some thoughts on our lineup as well as the 15,16 wrestlers we bring. It s 3 days away.

Matchups ? Teams and individuals .Gonna be great! Let s talk about it. I ll start : Along w our lineup , what do you think Cornell s looks like? Vito 125? 197? Hwt?
From Cornell's Match Notes:

125 Greg Diakomihalis (3-4)
133 #5 Vito Arujau (1-0) or Dom LaJoie (4-3)
141 Cole Handlovic (5-3) or JJ Wilson (2-2)
149 #1 Yianni Diakomihalis (6-0)
157 #25 Colton Yapoujian (5-1) or Hunter Richard (0-0)
165 #9 Julian Ramirez (9-3) or Jake Brindley (3-2)
174 #12 Chris Foca (13-1)
184 #15 Jonathan Loew (9-1)
197 #19 Jacob Cardenas (6-3)
285 #18 Lewis Fernandes (3-1) or Brendan Furman (0-0)

Look for the first name in each of 133/141/157/285 against PSU. Obviously, 133 is the match to watch.

Apparently, Darmstadt is not fully recovered from whatever injury he had, so Cardenas is the man at 197. Hopefully, Fernandes' knee is good to go, as he is very interesting to watch (how many heavies do double boots in?).

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright
Oct 31, 2021
From Cornell's Match Notes:

125 Greg Diakomihalis (3-4)
133 #5 Vito Arujau (1-0) or Dom LaJoie (4-3)
141 Cole Handlovic (5-3) or JJ Wilson (2-2)
149 #1 Yianni Diakomihalis (6-0)
157 #25 Colton Yapoujian (5-1) or Hunter Richard (0-0)
165 #9 Julian Ramirez (9-3) or Jake Brindley (3-2)
174 #12 Chris Foca (13-1)
184 #15 Jonathan Loew (9-1)
197 #19 Jacob Cardenas (6-3)
285 #18 Lewis Fernandes (3-1) or Brendan Furman (0-0)

Look for the first name in each of 133/141/157/285 against PSU. Obviously, 133 is the match to watch.

Apparently, Darmstadt is not fully recovered from whatever injury he had, so Cardenas is the man at 197. Hopefully, Fernandes' knee is good to go, as he is very interesting to watch (how many heavies do double boots in?).
Thanks for the info ! Looking fwd to it. How s Greg in terms of size? Is he small for 125? I remember my friend the great Carl DeStefanis! A legend. Locust Valley , NY :118 Wght class bk then. 1984 NCAA champion! 3X EWL conf champ too. For you young guys, Yes , this was before Cael and before wrestling was invented! Lol.
Vito makes 125 pretty easy I hear or is that just wrong. Thanks N. Meaningful and may the best team win!
We are…….,,

Reactions: Nittany24000
Oct 29, 2021
Thanks for the info ! Looking fwd to it. How s Greg in terms of size? Is he small for 125? I remember my friend the great Carl DeStefanis! A legend. Locust Valley , NY :118 Wght class bk then. 1984 NCAA champion! 3X EWL conf champ too. For you young guys, Yes , this was before Cael and before wrestling was invented! Lol.
Vito makes 125 pretty easy I hear or is that just wrong. Thanks N. Meaningful and may the best team win!
We are…….,,
Greg seems small for 125, unfortunately. Great scrambler, as the last name might suggest. Vito said this week that 125 is his best weight, and he is comfortable there. I guess that Cornell is still trying to figure out where best he should go, depending on how the alternatives fare at 125/133. Vito thinks he can win at either weight (while acknowledging how good Spencer Lee is).

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
We are…….,,
Corby seemed to think Vito is going 125 on Baschmania podcast yesterday.

Oct 31, 2021
Nothing Meaningful ,
With all the guys you have from NY , I ll root for you any other time but vs PSU! Vito- Syosset !!!! Loew from Wantagh ( right next to Massapequa!) Greg and Yianni - Not LI . upstate but still NY! Lol Adam Santoro Fordham Prep by way of Westchester County etc. Good luck and be well !

Oct 29, 2021
Corby seemed to think Vito is going 125 on Baschmania podcast yesterday.
No idea who is Corby, but Cornell's match notes indicate he's at 133. Not sure if I posted this here, but these are Vito's words:

“In a way, if I went 133 this year, I’d almost feel like I was running away from 125,” he said. “The ultimate obstacle is Spencer [Lee]. He’s a phenomenal wrestler with an amazing understanding of the sport. I had the pleasure of stepping on the mat with him [in freestyle, a win for Lee]. People see him as a god. For the past three years, he’s been the best at the weight. I had two years off from college wrestling and I think a lot of college wrestling fans have forgotten about me. I look forward to reminding them. I want to wrestle Spencer in the finals. I want to make it my weight.”

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
I am wondering about your comment about signing up for BTN+ and listening to Byers? You do know you can listen to Byers for free through either the gopsusports site, gopsusports app, or the radiostation website, right? I wasn’t sure if the comment was connected.
Nope, you are right, I type first and make corrections later. I had Rokfin last year but found out I was only tuning in on a very irregular basis so I canceled the service. I signed into BTN+ a couple of weeks ago to take advantage of the BTN+ meets that I would miss by solely having B10 network and gained a few duals that way. I DO listen to Byers on the radio station website, when on BTN I sync up both.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
Nope, you are right, I type first and make corrections later. I had Rokfin last year but found out I was only tuning in on a very irregular basis so I canceled the service. I signed into BTN+ a couple of weeks ago to take advantage of the BTN+ meets that I would miss by solely having B10 network and gained a few duals that way. I DO listen to Byers on the radio station website, when on BTN I sync up both.
Cool, though we have had a few meets on BTN+ with Beyers as the audio feed, just not this one. All good! WE ARE!

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Cool, though we have had a few meets on BTN+ with Beyers as the audio feed, just not this one. All good! WE ARE!
I live in NEOH with literally my closest wrestling buddy a Buckeye fan who lives on Columbus. Then there’s a buddy who was a walk-on at Purdue and a couple buddies/brother in NEPA. So nobody local to talk wrestling with. During PSU meets I’ll follow a couple of different boards and cut and paste really clever posts and send to my brother who’s got tickets at Rec Hall. Typically at half time he calls me and we compare notes. Next day we’ll likely visit on phone for the recap. Often I’ll float over to HR during the dual and see what ridiculousness they’re posting and send those gems along. It’s really great fun. And to your comment…PENN STATE!

Latest posts