Collegiate Duals pools announced

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
PSU gets Cornell and Northern Iowa. Win the pool and we get either Arizona State or Virginia Tech.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
That’ll work.

I don’t think this will hijack the thread, and it’s not worth its own, but did anybody catch what Meredith weighed in at against AWP?

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
This is going to be 3 great duals. The only bad part is Red doesn’t meet Blue at the end for a true champion. Could you imagine PSU vs. Iowa at the end of this?

Reactions: Got GSPs

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
This is going to be 3 great duals. The only bad part is Red doesn’t meet Blue at the end for a true champion. Could you imagine PSU vs. Iowa at the end of this?
Per Cael at media day it wouldn’t happen because the idea was to not matchup teams that wrestle during the year. In fact, that’s why it isn’t set up that way. Wish it was, but I get it.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
That’ll work.

I don’t think this will hijack the thread, and it’s not worth its own, but did anybody catch what Meredith weighed in at against AWP?
Cael said after Army he was “descending” to 125 and was 133.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
Obviously a lot of great potential matches here—one we probably won’t see but would be cool is the quarterfinal rematch between Teske and Hildebrandt.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
There’s only the calendar, the singlet he’d be wearing, and the degree of conditioning he’ll be at possibly holding Hildebrandt back.
Obviously a lot of great potential matches here—one we probably won’t see but would be cool is the quarterfinal rematch between Teske and Hildebrandt.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

ArkansasLion

Oct 11, 2021
Seeing Teske will be great, but I am more looking forward to the Cornell match. Potential match-ups of RBY-Vito, Facundo (seems like as good a time as any to release him!)-Ramirez, and Dean/Beard-Darmstadt have me excited for these duals! UNI will give us Brooks-Keckeisen and Kerk-Isley. We may not get PSU-Iowa part 1, but there should be plenty of good wrestling!

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
west2east on the other board just said he's thinking Vito is at 125 by then. That sets up possibly Nick vs. Yianni, I suppose.

BruceK-PSU83

Oct 31, 2021
Seeing Teske will be great, but I am more looking forward to the Cornell match. Potential match-ups of RBY-Vito, Facundo (seems like as good a time as any to release him!)-Ramirez, and Dean/Beard-Darmstadt have me excited for these duals! UNI will give us Brooks-Keckeisen and Kerk-Isley. We may not get PSU-Iowa part 1, but there should be plenty of good wrestling!
We'll see, but I wouldn't plan on Facundo making an appearance at this event.

ArkansasLion

Oct 11, 2021
west2east on the other board just said he's thinking Vito is at 125 by then. That sets up possibly Nick vs. Yianni, I suppose.
Is Vito/LaJoie a better combination than Greg D./Vito when it comes to March? I feel like they score more points with Vito at 133, but I could be wrong. Is Yianni coming back down to 141? I thought everything I have seen projects him at 149.

Bruce - You're probably right, but I can always hope!

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Is Vito/LaJoie a better combination than Greg D./Vito when it comes to March? I feel like they score more points with Vito at 133, but I could be wrong. Is Yianni coming back down to 141? I thought everything I have seen projects him at 149.

Bruce - You're probably right, but I can always hope!
If Arujau can make 125 then they're better with him there. He'll place about the same at either, maybe higher at 125. Greg D looks like he could make 113, gotta think LaJoie holds up better in March.

Yianni's weight depends on Arujau's as much as it depends on mine. The question is whether Grey would rather have Handlovic or Saunders at 141 vs. Richard at 149. They think Yianni will win either weight.

Reactions: SRATH

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Per Cael at media day it wouldn’t happen because the idea was to not matchup teams that wrestle during the year. In fact, that’s why it isn’t set up that way. Wish it was, but I get it.
I recall that, and I believe Cael said that was part of the reason for agreeing to go, but it's just such a shame that these two teams will be in the same gym but not wrestling. I understand all the reasons not to wrestle, but when you think about the excitement it would generate for the sport...

Reactions: GregPickel
Oct 11, 2021
I recall that, and I believe Cael said that was part of the reason for agreeing to go, but it's just such a shame that these two teams will be in the same gym but not wrestling. I understand all the reasons not to wrestle, but when you think about the excitement it would generate for the sport...
I can wait a month, plus we have some things to sort out at a few weights and this event will help significantly. The team we bring here is probably not going to be our January squad, when we embarrass the Hawks in Carver. That's plenty of excitement for the sport.

Reactions: jack66
Oct 31, 2021
I can wait a month, plus we have some things to sort out at a few weights and this event will help significantly. The team we bring here is probably not going to be our January squad, when we embarrass the Hawks in Carver. That's plenty of excitement for the sport
Well said Googles. Need to focus on our team. That dual will come. Gotta keep our eye on the big prize in March. I love duals and unfortunately they r becoming less of a focus in college wrestling( kinda like March madness in basketball - unfortunate but reality) , Willy and Corby talked about it and w some solutions to make duals more important . Interesting but as of now March is what matters most. I understand the excitement about the Coll. Duals but I m more interested in the line up we put out vs Penn and Lehigh, the progress and continued improvement. This is what makes these duals so important and yes let s win everyone! Everyone looking ahead which is fine and fun to talk about great matchups and Suriano fever. I wish him luck but let s keep our team improving and the 125 pounder we should be excited and talking about is Drew! Let s Go!!!!
Work to be done.
We are………,

Reactions: VSA 19

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t expect to see Facundo at this event either.

However, it raises an interesting question…is it more beneficial to Facundo’s development to wrestle in our 2 December duals vs Penn and Lehigh along with these Duals or to wrestle in the Scuffle?

It’s an intriguing debate.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf
Oct 31, 2021

However, it raises an interesting question…is it more beneficial to Facundo’s development to wrestle in our 2 December duals vs Penn and Lehigh along with these Duals or to wrestle in the Scuffle?

Great question. Really depends on where Alex is at now and what Cael and the coaches think. My gut says the duals. No disrespect to Edsall great kid but the choice is who can make a run in March. Imo that s Alex. But What I think doesn’t matter obviously . Cael will do what s right. That I m sure.

Reactions: NittanyChris

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

If the intent is to simulate the postseason: Scuffle, hands down.

First, the format: Collegiate Duals will be 2 matches in Day 1, then 1 match in Day 2. Scuffle is a 33-man, 2-day tourney, same size field as NCAAs but compressed into 1 less day.

Then the actual matches:
- Penn = 33 Raveno. Lehigh = 27 Meyer. Duals Day 1 = 25 Yant (UNI), 17 Ramirez (Cornell). Duals Day 2 = 6 Valencia (ASU) or UNR Ulrey (VT, 1-4 this year).
- Scuffle = defending champ Griffith, 3 O'Toole, 5 Wittlake, 13 Weber (ND State), 15 Hall (WVU), 16 Bullard (NC State), Ramirez, 18 Cook (SD State), 21 Tucker (Sparty), 28 Formato, 29 Nicholson, 31 Ogunsanya.

Scuffle field is a much better test.

Scuffle downside would be no PSU coaches in his corner as long as he's shirting. (Plus he'd have to pay his way.)