Concerning the foul at the end of the Iowa UConn game last night

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Yes, they lost with dignity and grace. Others would profit by their example

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
I saw a foul. Don’t ask me if the ref should have swallowed her whistle.
Refs should never swallow their whistle. As long as a game is called consistently from beginning to end, both teams know what they can and cannot do. Referees will never be perfect and that is part of sports at all levels.

Reactions: Bison13 and LionJim

Mstan85

Nov 29, 2022
The reason it was such a bad call is it is rarely called. They never call 3 seconds, traveling or moving picks unless they are blatent, and that play wasn't.

I watched the purdue NC state game, there were picks that were slightly moving on virtually every possession. But I don't remember one being called.

It was a horrible call to make...

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
The reason it was such a bad call is it is rarely called. They never call 3 seconds, traveling or moving picks unless they are blatent, and that play wasn't.

I watched the purdue NC state game, there were picks that were slightly moving on virtually every possession. But I don't remember one being called.

It was a horrible call to make...
It was absolutely blatant. So if UConn would have gotten a last shot off and an Iowa player hacked the shooter, they shouldn’t have called a foul because it was at the end of the game? Everyone would have been okay with that?

K-Live

Oct 6, 2021
It is a foul 5 seconds into any game, and its a foul 5 seconds left in any game. UConn themselves made the correct post-game statement; that play alone did not lose the game for them, and that is true.

Oct 28, 2021
Regardless of my rooting interest, I try to be as objective as I can when it comes to officiating. Here, I would not have made the call, but I have no problem that it was made. That said, overall, I think the officiating favored Iowa and the officials knew more people would watch the Championship if Clark were in it. I will add my belief that if it was Iowa trying to take the last shot that foul would not have been called.
is it your belief that the officials care about the ratings for the next game? are u suggesting the ref supervisors encouraged this ? just wondering.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
is it your belief that the officials care about the ratings for the next game? are u suggesting the ref supervisors encouraged this ? just wondering.
Thr officials are in a sport that is struggling to develop a following. The Caitlin Clark story has pushed attendance and ratings to new levels. The sport needed Clark in the Championship Game and now they have her. I am not saying the officials conspired to give the game to Iowa, or that any official entered the game with that intention. I am suggesting that subconsciously each official knew what was at stake and that the subconscious mind can influence behavior. I have seen it in 50 years of legal practice. There are studies regarding the subtle influence of unconscious bias on judges and jurors. Now, of course, I could be completely wrong here and it would not be the first time. Certainly UConn did more to bring about their loss than any official, but they still had a good chance to win at the end until the controversial call. They handled the loss with dignity and grace. Life moves on, and so shall I.

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021
It’s closer to a flagrant than a no call.
Good Luck having a basketball conversation with anyone that thinks that pick didn't have any effect on the play....and I didn't care either way who won that game.

Oct 28, 2021
Thr officials are in a sport that is struggling to develop a following. The Caitlin Clark story has pushed attendance and ratings to new levels. The sport needed Clark in the Championship Game and now they have her. I am not saying the officials conspired to give the game to Iowa, or that any official entered the game with that intention. I am suggesting that subconsciously each official knew what was at stake and that the subconscious mind can influence behavior. I have seen it in 50 years of legal practice. There are studies regarding the subtle influence of unconscious bias on judges and jurors. Now, of course, I could be completely wrong here and it would not be the first time. Certainly UConn did more to bring about their loss than any official, but they still had a good chance to win at the end until the controversial call. They handled the loss with dignity and grace. Life moves on, and so shall I.
very fair assessment. thanks.

Reactions: fairgambit

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
The mistake made at the end of the game started when UConn’s best player got the ball on a turnover. Beukers made a major mistake by calling a time- out. Your best player has the ball in her hands in a turnover, unbalanced, transition situation and she gives the opponent an opportunity to now set- up. I know that Geno would have wanted her to bust out off the turnover. As far as the illegal screen, even if it was not called, #24 was going to go double Beukers on the wing, so UConn would not have gotten the shot they wanted.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
The mistake made at the end of the game started when UConn’s best player got the ball on a turnover. Beukers made a major mistake by calling a time- out. Your best player has the ball in her hands in a turnover, unbalanced, transition situation and she gives the opponent an opportunity to now set- up. I know that Geno would have wanted her to bust out off the turnover. As far as the illegal screen, even if it was not called, #24 was going to go double Beukers on the wing, so UConn would not have gotten the shot they wanted.
Nice job.