Damn, Francis Scott Key Brridge Just Collapsed After a Cargo Ship Collided With It

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
While there is a possibility that this was a planned attack, without any tangible proof it's probably best to assume that this was just a tragic accident.
Maybe maybe not, because it makes perfect sense that someone would bring down a bridge weighing hundreds of tons right on top of themselves.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Maybe maybe not, because it makes perfect sense that someone would bring down a bridge weighing hundreds of tons right on top of themselves.
Makes sense they couldn’t do it remotely, huh?

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Here’s what the professsionals are saying to me:

“Sadly the media is trashing you for educating the public on the National Security vulnerabilities of how foreign adversaries can gain control of the GPS navigation systems and used as a weapon. This was illustrated years ago in Afghanistan when the Iranians gained control over one of our Military drones in Afghanistan and flew it into Iran.”

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
“On January 31, 2024, America's Intelligence Agency Leaders warned of Chinese cyber actors' plans to attack U.S. critical infrastructure, including disruption of the maritime industry.

Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Director Jen Easterly explained that China is preparing for opportunities to incite “societal panic and chaos.”

Moreover, Director Wray shared how the FBI recently identified hundreds of routers that had been taken over by the Chinese-sponsored hacking group “Volt Typhoon.” He and National Cyber Director Harry Coker said China’s cyber offensive is driven by the ultimate goal to supplant the U.S. as the world’s leading superpower…”

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Here’s what the professsionals are saying to me:

“Sadly the media is trashing you for educating the public on the National Security vulnerabilities of how foreign adversaries can gain control of the GPS navigation systems and used as a weapon. This was illustrated years ago in Afghanistan when the Iranians gained control over one of our Military drones in Afghanistan and flew it into Iran.”
The ship had no rudder. It was drifting. It wasn’t aimed at the bridge on purpose. It was heading towards the bridge and lost power, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the GPS system.

This doesn’t really effect our infrastructure that much if you use some actual reason. Yes, it will affect the ships that are stuck in the harbor, but I’m willing to bet there are more goods from China on those ships than American.

So the Port of Baltimore will be closed for a few months, but that isn’t really a big deal. Baltimore is actually the one port on the east coast that we can lose the easiest, because it’s by far the hardest one to get in and out of. Every other major port on the east coast is a pretty much easy turn around. They did a whole season on the Wire that was party based on The Port of Baltimore being hard to access. Ships have to divert up the whole length of the Chesapeake Bay and then turn around and go back down the whole length to get back into the open ocean. All this will do is make ports like Jacksonville, Savannah, Philadelphia and New York busier.

Baltimore isn’t even in the top 50 busiest ports in the world, by any metric.Long Beach/ Los Angeles is the only one in the top 10 and New York Savannah and Houston are the only US ports in the Top 50. China has 6 in the top 10 and 16 in the top 50.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
The ship had no rudder. It was drifting. It wasn’t aimed at the bridge on purpose. It was heading towards the bridge and lost power, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the GPS system.

This doesn’t really effect our infrastructure that much if you use some actual reason. Yes, it will affect the ships that are stuck in the harbor, but I’m willing to bet there are more goods from China on those ships than American.

So the Port of Baltimore will be closed for a few months, but that isn’t really a big deal. Baltimore is actually the one port on the east coast that we can lose the easiest, because it’s by far the hardest one to get in and out of. Every other major port on the east coast is a pretty much easy turn around. They did a whole season on the Wire that was party based on The Port of Baltimore being hard to access. Ships have to divert up the whole length of the Chesapeake Bay and then turn around and go back down the whole length to get back into the open ocean. All this will do is make ports like Jacksonville, Savannah, Philadelphia and New York busier.

Baltimore isn’t even in the top 50 busiest ports in the world, by any metric.Long Beach/ Los Angeles is the only one in the top 10 and New York Savannah and Houston are the only US ports in the Top 50. China has 6 in the top 10 and 16 in the top 50.
You seemed to want examples of how cyber attacks could’ve taken place and from where. But of course you chose the irrelevant part of the statement rather than the reality that even Persians have the technology.
Responses like this one is how you earned the “duh” response.

Disingenuous much?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

Gross underestimation.

"The Port of Baltimore is a critical area for America's economy and is ranked as the largest vehicle-handling port in the country. The bridge's collapse on Tuesday immediately blocked shipping lanes and forced the indefinite closure of the port.

The economic impact of the bridge's collapse was estimated to be $2 million in wages a day and 8,000 jobs.

Between $100 million and $200 million of cargo passes through the port every day. About 4,000 commercial trucks use the bridge daily, and detours are expected to increase delivery times and fuel costs, according to Oxford Economics."

"It's too early to determine how long the port will be closed, Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul J. Wiedefeld told reporters Tuesday."

The collapse of the Key Bridge is a global crisis," Moore said at a Wednesday briefing. "The national economy and the world's economy depends on the Port of Baltimore," he added. The port handles more cars and more farm equipment than any other port in the country."

The port supports more than 15,000 direct jobs and more than 139,000 indirect jobs connected to the port, generating almost $3.3 billion in total personal income. It's closer to the Midwest than any other East Coast port and is within an overnight drive's distance from one-third of the country's population.

Several major companies — including Amazon, FedEx and BMW — have distribution warehouses and other facilities at an industrial park at the north end of the bridge, Bloomberg reported."

"Considering the bridge's role in facilitating interstate commerce and its position as part of the I-695 corridor, a major link in the Interstate 95 network, the disruption will snarl freight movements and create logistical challenges. This will lead to delays heading into Easter weekend and in the longer term, as well as increased costs for shipping and transportation industries, which will likely be passed on to consumers still feeling the lingering impacts of inflation.

Positioned near the Chesapeake Bay, the Port of Baltimore is strategically located near inland markets and serves as an important access point to an extensive network of highways and railways. The port is a critical contributor to the state's economy, supporting thousands of jobs directly related to port operations and many more in related sectors, including logistics, manufacturing and retail.

The port’s location facilitates the efficient distribution of goods to the economically vital Mid-Atlantic region and beyond. Importantly, the Panama Canal was expanded in 2016, thus allowing larger ships from Asia to move through and ultimately dock at Baltimore’s deep 50-foot shipping channel and port. This stretch of roadway, I-695, was an alternate route for oversized vehicles as well as hazardous material that are not allowed to transit through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel for safety reasons."

With all due respect, The Wire isn't the place to gauge true economic impact of a disaster of this magnitude. It's why they call it a "ripple effect".

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

• Wow
Reactions: Canyon.usc

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Gross underestimation.

"The Port of Baltimore is a critical area for America's economy and is ranked as the largest vehicle-handling port in the country. The bridge's collapse on Tuesday immediately blocked shipping lanes and forced the indefinite closure of the port.

The economic impact of the bridge's collapse was estimated to be $2 million in wages a day and 8,000 jobs.

Between $100 million and $200 million of cargo passes through the port every day. About 4,000 commercial trucks use the bridge daily, and detours are expected to increase delivery times and fuel costs, according to Oxford Economics."

"It's too early to determine how long the port will be closed, Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul J. Wiedefeld told reporters Tuesday."

The collapse of the Key Bridge is a global crisis," Moore said at a Wednesday briefing. "The national economy and the world's economy depends on the Port of Baltimore," he added. The port handles more cars and more farm equipment than any other port in the country."

The port supports more than 15,000 direct jobs and more than 139,000 indirect jobs connected to the port, generating almost $3.3 billion in total personal income. It's closer to the Midwest than any other East Coast port and is within an overnight drive's distance from one-third of the country's population.

Several major companies — including Amazon, FedEx and BMW — have distribution warehouses and other facilities at an industrial park at the north end of the bridge, Bloomberg reported."

"Considering the bridge's role in facilitating interstate commerce and its position as part of the I-695 corridor, a major link in the Interstate 95 network, the disruption will snarl freight movements and create logistical challenges. This will lead to delays heading into Easter weekend and in the longer term, as well as increased costs for shipping and transportation industries, which will likely be passed on to consumers still feeling the lingering impacts of inflation.

Positioned near the Chesapeake Bay, the Port of Baltimore is strategically located near inland markets and serves as an important access point to an extensive network of highways and railways. The port is a critical contributor to the state's economy, supporting thousands of jobs directly related to port operations and many more in related sectors, including logistics, manufacturing and retail.

The port’s location facilitates the efficient distribution of goods to the economically vital Mid-Atlantic region and beyond. Importantly, the Panama Canal was expanded in 2016, thus allowing larger ships from Asia to move through and ultimately dock at Baltimore’s deep 50-foot shipping channel and port. This stretch of roadway, I-695, was an alternate route for oversized vehicles as well as hazardous material that are not allowed to transit through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel for safety reasons."

With all due respect, The Wire isn't the place to gauge true economic impact of a disaster of this magnitude. It's why they call it a "ripple effect".
Very informative, but I think that’s overly dramatic. I only used The Wire as an example of how hard it is for ships to get in and out of compared to other, busier ports. That was one of the storylines in Season 2.

A Global Crisis? The World’s Economy? It’s not in the top 50 busiest ports in the world. Compared to Shanghai. It’s like comparing a 7-11 to a Costco or a Walmart Superstore.

I also love how all of a sudden, a politician that you wouldn’t give the time of day to if he was talking about politics in general, Trump in particular, is all of a sudden the font of relevant information. Or are you a big fan of Les Moore and I just never realized it?

The Port of Baltimore is the closest port to the Midwest than any other port on the East Coast? Oh the horror. It’s about 70 miles closer than Philadelphia is to Indianapolis. On the East Coast? What about the much bigger and much busier ports in South Louisiana and Houston?

I heard them say this morning the port will be down a month. I think the world will survive. I think they’ll figure this out.

The bridge being down is a much bigger issue. I agree with you on that. It’s going to take years, maybe as much as five to rebuild it. But there are ways around that and there are ways around Baltimore. When I was in sales, most of the time if I was driving home from Philly, or Baltimore I would almost never take 95. I would head west and then go down through western Virginia into Charlotte. No traffic, it’s maybe 20 minutes longer.

I’m not saying this is nothing. But I think we’ll figure it out, and it won’t be as bad, as people are saying when this is still such a shocking event. One of the key sentences in your post is “ the disruption will snarl freight movements and create logistical challenges.” Challenges? No other country in the history of the world has ever overcome challenges better than America. We‘ll figure it out. Short term it’s going to be bad. Long term, we’ll figure it out.

The people of Baltimore are going to bear the brunt of it, but when was the last time Conservatives have ever been concerned with the people of Baltimore?

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
when was the last time Conservatives have ever been concerned with the people of Baltimore?
This is where you are wrong.
It is the liberals on this board that say things like "that does not affect my neighborhood, so why should I care?"
It is conservatives that tend to care about the entire country and ALL of the people.

The difference in concern level regarding illegal immigration and sex trafficking are two stark examples of the difference in the level of concern and care.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
This is where you are wrong.
It is the liberals on this board that say things like "that does not affect my neighborhood, so why should I care?"
It is conservatives that tend to care about the entire country and ALL of the people.

The difference in concern level regarding illegal immigration and sex trafficking are two stark examples of the difference in the level of concern and care.
And drug use/smuggling matter too, as do education and social indoctrination of our children. But yeah, WE DON’T CARE.

Love the way Blem paints with such a wide brush.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Very informative, but I think that’s overly dramatic. I only used The Wire as an example of how hard it is for ships to get in and out of compared to other, busier ports. That was one of the storylines in Season 2.

A Global Crisis? The World’s Economy? It’s not in the top 50 busiest ports in the world. Compared to Shanghai. It’s like comparing a 7-11 to a Costco or a Walmart Superstore.

I also love how all of a sudden, a politician that you wouldn’t give the time of day to if he was talking about politics in general, Trump in particular, is all of a sudden the font of relevant information. Or are you a big fan of Les Moore and I just never realized it?

The Port of Baltimore is the closest port to the Midwest than any other port on the East Coast? Oh the horror. It’s about 70 miles closer than Philadelphia is to Indianapolis. On the East Coast? What about the much bigger and much busier ports in South Louisiana and Houston?

I heard them say this morning the port will be down a month. I think the world will survive. I think they’ll figure this out.

The bridge being down is a much bigger issue. I agree with you on that. It’s going to take years, maybe as much as five to rebuild it. But there are ways around that and there are ways around Baltimore. When I was in sales, most of the time if I was driving home from Philly, or Baltimore I would almost never take 95. I would head west and then go down through western Virginia into Charlotte. No traffic, it’s maybe 20 minutes longer.

I’m not saying this is nothing. But I think we’ll figure it out, and it won’t be as bad, as people are saying when this is still such a shocking event. One of the key sentences in your post is “ the disruption will snarl freight movements and create logistical challenges.” Challenges? No other country in the history of the world has ever overcome challenges better than America. We‘ll figure it out. Short term it’s going to be bad. Long term, we’ll figure it out.

The people of Baltimore are going to bear the brunt of it, but when was the last time Conservatives have ever been concerned with the people of Baltimore?
Since it's Easter tomorrow and I'm feeling kind, I'll avoid the multi-quote.

Yes, a global crisis. Global, as it impacts countries around the world and it absolutely fits the definition of a crisis. That is not hard to understand. The world's economy? Again, yes as it's "referring to the global economic system, which includes all economic activities conducted both within and between nations, including production, consumption, economic management, work in general, financial transactions and trade of goods and services."

As much as I dislike your example, I'll use it to demonstrate a simple point. You think the size of the port can simply be likened to a 7-11 compared to Costco or Walmart. Well, THIS port is the largest vehicle-handling port in the country, sort of like 7-11 is the only one of those locations you can find a Slurpee.

I'm neither a fan nor detractor of Les Moore. I don't dismiss people out of hand due to their political party. He's a Rhodes Scholar, a former Captain in the 82nd Airborne, and a former investment banker in NY. I'd say that makes him smarter than the average bear and his opinion is worthwhile on this topic.

Cars and tractors/farm equipment and parts for both are incredibly important to the Midwest. This port is set up to logistically handle and expedite all of it. Delays and re-routing in getting it to their destination causes price increases that get passed on to consumers. Farm equipment isn't something you just go buy at Home Depot. A delay in delivery can have big impacts on small farm owners.

Time will tell, however, "How long will all that take? "It's weeks and months to remove the debris and reopen the shipping channel," Benjamin Schafer, a professor of civil and systems engineering at Johns Hopkins University, told member station WYPR. "I'd be shocked if it's weeks, but I don't think it'd take a year."

The bridge will likely take at least a decade. “The bridge originally, it seems like it was about five years from breaking ground to opening up. In 1980, when the Tampa (Bay) Sunshine Skyway bridge had a strike and was destroyed, and then rebuilt with a new cable-stayed bridge, that was seven years. I would consider those lower bounds,” he said. “I think we’re looking at seven-plus, I would guess 10 to 15 years before — I know that sounds crazy — but before we look back over and we see a bridge jumping over the harbor.”

At an online event hosted by Hopkins Wednesday morning, Schafer said he’s “lived through quite a few civil infrastructure projects, and they’re rarely less than 10 years,” adding that the price tags “never seem to be out of the hundreds of millions these days.”

As a reminder, when the train derailed in Palestine, I posted quite a bit about that, too. Had I ever given much thought to folks in Ohio? Outside of annoying buckeye fans, no. The idea that "conservatives" don't care about other people in liberal areas is ridiculous. While biden, obama, and clinton were using a rising platform stage to act like rock stars in collecting $25M, Trump was at the funeral of a NY cop. Should I assume then, that the liberals don't care about law enforcement or violent parolees?

The US is not handling several challenges very well right now. Many are deeply partisan in nature, many were avoidable but disregarded, many were self-inflicted, many are so deep and with such dire consequences, they may be insurmountable in our lifetime.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
@BlemBlam , you were asking where the hackers could be from? Well the fbi seems to agree with me, that there everywhere and could be anyone..
Just another conspiracy theory, eh?

• Wow

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Why don't the NSA, CIA cyber teams go after China and Russia and cause havoc too? Sometimes America is too soft.

• Sad
Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Why don't the NSA, CIA cyber teams go after China and Russia and cause havoc too? Sometimes America is too soft.
Why don’t they do something to protect their country? This has been warned of forever and a day. A couple days ago the 911 system went down in several states, a day later this announcement.
It’s always conspiracy theory until it’s too late.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Why don’t they do something to protect their country? This has been warned of forever and a day. A couple days ago the 911 system went down in several states, a day later this announcement.
It’s always conspiracy theory until it’s too late.
Good point Bruddah. Cyber attacks causes big problems. Remember when Sony got hacked by N.Korea due to their film, The Interview. Cost and damage to company about $15 million.

Heck, the USA should go on da offensive too and Cyber attack China, Russia, N.Korea and Iran...

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
@BlemBlam , you were asking where the hackers could be from? Well the fbi seems to agree with me, that there everywhere and could be anyone..
Just another conspiracy theory, eh?

Oh, wait, so after six years of you saying how corrupt the FBI and especially director Ray is , now all of a sudden he’s fine? It’s hard to keep track to be honest.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Oh, wait, so after six years of you saying how corrupt the FBI and especially director Ray is , now all of a sudden he’s fine? It’s hard to keep track to be honest.
Never said he’s fine. And somehow after six years of defending him, you decide he’s not worth listening to?
When I said it before in this thread, you scoffed. Now you change the point of discussion?

cool on you

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Criminal investigation does not mean or even imply it was intentional.
Negligence, failure of safety checks etc...
Taken in conjunction with the fbi statement on cyberterrorism yesterday, I think it’s safe to assume there were outside influences.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Never said he’s fine. And somehow after six years of defending him, you decide he’s not worth listening to?
When I said it before in this thread, you scoffed. Now you change the point of discussion?

cool on you

Can you show me a post I’ve made in the last 6 years where I have defended him?
If I’m proven wrong I’ll admit it. It’s not a big deal to me one way or the other.My take on the whole thing was based on what we knew at the time.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Taken in conjunction with the fbi statement on cyberterrorism yesterday, I think it’s safe to assume there were outside influences.
We shall see. My money is still.firmly on the side of.this being nothing but an accident and possibly negligence in the maintenance of the ships engines

Jan 17, 2024
We shall see. My money is still.firmly on the side of.this being nothing but an accident and possibly negligence in the maintenance of the ships engines

Because women were driving? Joke. But look how many driving accidents happen annually…people suck at driving just about anything as we are human and are prone to errors. I’m too lazy to do any research, but I bet the bridge crashes are far lower n shipping than any other transportation mode. Heck there is a website dedicated to a low bridge in Durham, NC where people continually disregard the height requirement and destroy their trucks and shut down the railway bridge. This seems just an accident. People are dumb.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Because women were driving? Joke. But look how many driving accidents happen annually…people suck at driving just about anything as we are human and are prone to errors. I’m too lazy to do any research, but I bet the bridge crashes are far lower n shipping than any other transportation mode. Heck there is a website dedicated to a low bridge in Durham, NC where people continually disregard the height requirement and destroy their trucks and shut down the railway bridge. This seems just an accident. People are dumb.
Seems odd that this would happen so soon again. But it could well be coincidence..

https://nypost.com/2024/04/07/us-news/massive-container-ship-loses-power-near-nycs-verrazzano-bridge-days-after-baltimore-key-bridge-disaster/amp/

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Seems odd that this would happen so soon again. But it could well be coincidence..

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...gQFnoECCUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1m2KQYxWgLWMiK-7NY_sze

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...gQFnoECCUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1m2KQYxWgLWMiK-7NY_sze
Here is the thing. We don't hear about this stuff, because it is not important. BUT, when something big happens, the 1.5 million writers looking to make a buck, start spamming us with every single occurrence.

Example: After the door plug blew out of that Alaska airlines jet, I cannot open my web browser without seeing an airline/airplane story nearly every single day. If a toilet get plugged it is now a headline.

Latest posts