Daniel Cormier is insufferable

Electric Lion

Nov 7, 2021
Please, for the love of God, tell me Shane Sparks is doing the rest of the tournament. This guy makes me want to throw my brick at the TV. He's not play by play, nor analyst, he's chief blowhard that won't shut up. I feel sorry for the other guys in the booth. How did he get this job? The NBA is so much better now that Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are gone. Cormier makes those guys look like Keith Jackson. Thankfully State performed well tonight or I might have jumped out the window. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please, for the love of God, tell me Shane Sparks is doing the rest of the tournament. This guy makes me want to throw my brick at the TV. He's not play by play, nor analyst, he's chief blowhard that won't shut up. I feel sorry for the other guys in the booth. How did he get this job? The NBA is so much better now that Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are gone. Cormier makes those guys look like Keith Jackson. Thankfully State performed well tonight or I might have jumped out the window. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?

He was on the coverage last year, and we complained then.

Sparks is on the MatCast coverage on ESPN+

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
There is no substance to him at all

I get you want to expand the sport to more viewers but telling stupid stories or misrepresenting facts and just spewing garbage isn't the way to do
it and the "hey where are the orange singlets" yeah didnt show Levi's match only a highlight case in point for the good guys

Stick to MMA brah.......oh by the way little factoid

Six of Cormier's losses in college were to Cael Sanderson

notice that wasn't mentioned only that he tried to roughouse Cael---really ESPN???? thats what how you want to promote this sport?

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
Aside from the results on the mat, I can’t remember having a less enjoyable night watching wrestling. Is this the NCAA Wrestling Championship or the NCAA MMA Championship? Cormier is only interested in how certain wrestlers will do at the next level in MMA, not what they’re doing on the mat right now. He has his favorites and it’s safe to say that there aren’t too many PSU wrestlers among them. I finally had enough and hit the mute button.

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
I'm shocked people are relying on espn to show them the penn state specific content they want to see. They have to pander to everyone. Use matcast. It's your own fault if you didn't enjoy today.
I didn’t expect to see every second of every PSU wrestler, a few more snippets of them would be nice but understand that, I just got sick and tired of Cormier rambling on and on about his boys, MMA, etc.

Reactions: bohucon

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I'm shocked people are relying on espn to show them the penn state specific content they want to see. They have to pander to everyone. Use matcast. It's your own fault if you didn't enjoy today.
I don, but my son did and it was a blast. 8 matches on the big screen then PSU on one side TV and other key matches on the third TV. I don’t really care what the announcers are saying = turn off the sound as needed and listen to Byers.

My 92 year old father was amazed.

Reactions: DC89 and KMAC41

SJLuvsLions

Oct 10, 2021
I literally turned the sound off eventually. It sounded like 2 annoying, babbling drunks that I could hardly understand. It was like being at a bar and trying to listen to the real announcers, as the two dimwits next to you loudly and stupidly drowned him out.

Whatever they were yapping about made no sense in regards to the matches. It was absurd, and why the network would put them on the air is beyond me.

Eric_M

Oct 12, 2021
I hate to say this but my only guess is that those dudes won some type of a "make a wish" contest to announce a wrestling match. I cant think of any other reason to think those obnoxious idiots were the best actual option.

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021

There is no substance to him at all

I get you want to expand the sport to more viewers but telling stupid stories or misrepresenting facts and just spewing garbage isn't the way to do
it and the "hey where are the orange singlets" yeah didnt show Levi's match only a highlight case in point for the good guys

Stick to MMA brah.......oh by the way little factoid

Six of Cormier's losses in college were to Cael Sanderson

notice that wasn't mentioned only that he tried to roughouse Cael---really ESPN???? thats what how you want to promote this sport?
If ESPN went out of business I wouldn't shed any tears.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
I literally turned the sound off eventually. It sounded like 2 annoying, babbling drunks that I could hardly understand. It was like being at a bar and trying to listen to the real announcers, as the two dimwits next to you loudly and stupidly drowned him out.

Whatever they were yapping about made no sense in regards to the matches. It was absurd, and why the network would put them on the air is beyond me.
You must remember ESPN had all the layoffs to cut expenses and the 2 announcers were the cheapest they could hire!

hazeydave

Oct 12, 2021
This. ESPN+ @ $13 to watch any and every match in the tournament. Less than the cost of going to see a movie. Shane Sparks commenting or add Byers in from LionVision. I look forward to it every year.

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
Agree...Can't believe ESPN can't find someone else who can't else to do the commentary. He is terrible!!!!

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I didn’t expect to see every second of every PSU wrestler, a few more snippets of them would be nice but understand that, I just got sick and tired of Cormier rambling on and on about his boys, MMA, etc.
I can't really chime in on how they did. I didn't have it on TV for one second, but there's 50+ schools and they know they'll have plenty of Penn State to talk about on Saturday. They aren't gonna use up everything they got before then. I'm not sure on Cormier specifically, but feel it's natural for someone who doesn't do this a lot to rely on what's current in his life. Shane Sparks should be the pbp guy. Dude knows a lot and we can all die trying to drink every time he says resilite.

gimb14

May 3, 2022

It was not like you and TFrank

gimb14

May 3, 2022
This. ESPN+ @ $13 to watch any and every match in the tournament. Less than the cost of going to see a movie. Shane Sparks commenting or add Byers in from LionVision. I look forward to it every year.
I absolutely loathe streaming. For this, I love it. And I still get to keep basketball on the TV

PSUFANinVA

Oct 11, 2022
I find that my ESPN stream is several seconds behind Byers. Anyone else have that? I would love to have him for the audio but I don't really want to have him announce what is going to happen then see it 3 seconds later. I end up with the pretty much silent ESPN feed of the mat and just listen with no commentary.