David Sanders throws some devastating shade following his visit

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
He was actually trying to pay us a compliment, but….ouch. Kind of makes it worse that this was intended as a compliment.

“I feel like South Carolina can’t sell you on the national championships and things like that, so they really rely on relationships within the coaching staff, and that makes them real and genuine in who they are," said Sanders to On3.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Devastating?
Yep. If it was someone trying to be mean and cut us down, then saying we can’t sell championships wouldn’t be that devastating because it’s simply true. The fact that he was actually trying to be nice and pay us a complement is what makes it devastating.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
He was actually trying to pay us a compliment, but….ouch. Kind of makes it worse that this was intended as a compliment.

“I feel like South Carolina can’t sell you on the national championships and things like that, so they really rely on relationships within the coaching staff, and that makes them real and genuine in who they are," said Sanders to On3.

Meh. Notwithstanding that he didn't define "things like that," there are only about 7 programs that can sell a kid on the national championships they've won in his living memory.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Meh. Notwithstanding that he didn't define "things like that," there are only about 7 programs that can sell a kid on the national championships they've won in his living memory.

Of course I'm sure you understand the gist of his comment is that we can't sell winning, or at the very least, that's how it will be interpreted by most. Nevertheless, I can't recall a recruit ever saying after a visit "well, they don't win much, but they sure are nice folk!"

I do appreciate your efforts in finding the silver lining in this comment, though!

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
We have to hope he wants to play with ''nice folks with the potential to win in the future'' more than in an environment where they are ''not nearly as nice and have won before.''

Last edited:

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Winning and draft prospects have to be the two most important things a recruit looks for in a football program. I'm sure every coaching staff is full of "nice people" and is great at cultivating relationships. If they aren't, they don't last long in college coaching. I'm not sure a program actually winning national championships is a huge factor but I think recruits want to be at a program where they at least feel like they have a good chance to win a championship.

I remember reading that one of Saban's recruiting pitches was "If you come here, we'll win a national championship before you leave. If you don't come here we'll win one anyway. Do you want to be a part of it?". That is a much stronger pitch than "Come here and be part of building a winning program".

His statement reminds me of when a guy is being set up on a blind date and he asks what the girl looks like and he is told "Well, she's not Miss America but she has a great personality and is a lot of fun to be around".

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Of course I'm sure you understand the gist of his comment is that we can't sell winning, or at the very least, that's how it will be interpreted by most. Nevertheless, I can't recall a recruit ever saying after a visit "well, they don't win much, but they sure are nice folk!"

I do appreciate your efforts in finding the silver lining in this comment, though!
I wasn't trying to find a silver lining but countering the idea that it was a "devastating" comment. He'll either choose us or he won't, but I don't find that portion of his comment all that outrageous. We say a lot worse stuff about our program every day on this forum than what he said.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I wasn't trying to find a silver lining but countering the idea that it was a "devastating" comment. He'll either choose us or he won't, but I don't find that portion of his comment all that outrageous. We say a lot worse stuff about our program every day on this forum than what he said.

The difference is, we are trying to say negative things about other programs. He was paying us a compliment and his compliment was "they don't win much".

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
...His statement reminds me of when a guy is being set up on a blind date and he asks what the girl looks like and he is told "Well, she's not Miss America but she has a great personality and is a lot of fun to be around".
or, "She's the fire marshal on her hall."

::There is no higher praise::

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Winning and draft prospects have to be the two most important things a recruit looks for in a football program. I'm sure every coaching staff is full of "nice people" and is great at cultivating relationships. If they aren't, they don't last long in college coaching. I'm not sure a program actually winning national championships is a huge factor but I think recruits want to be at a program where they at least feel like they have a good chance to win a championship.

I remember reading that one of Saban's recruiting pitches was "If you come here, we'll win a national championship before you leave. If you don't come here we'll win one anyway. Do you want to be a part of it?". That is a much stronger pitch than "Come here and be part of building a winning program".

His statement reminds me of when a guy is being set up on a blind date and he asks what the girl looks like and he is told "Well, she's not Miss America but she has a great personality and is a lot of fun to be around".

If anyone ever tried to fix me up with a gal and they led off with "super sweet and great sense of humor"...no way.

Mar 24, 2022
He might as well commit to Georgia or Ohio State.They look to be the favorites to win it all in the next few years.Alabama could get back in that conversation and also Texas and Florida St.Its a short list.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
I don't see that as devastating, comments, but OP also had a thread when it was announced that we are no longer a factor but he was coming anyway, LOL, so OP hasn't like this recruitment much, anyways, and let everyone know it with multiple threads.

In todays age of the transfer portal, I like that he was on campus even if we don't get him now, you never know what the future may hold, and those comments don't bother me, nor do I find them devastating.

Reactions: Tngamecock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't see that as devastating, comments, but OP also had a thread when it was announced that we are no longer a factor but he was coming anyway, LOL, so OP hasn't like this recruitment much, anyways, and let everyone know it with multiple threads.

In todays age of the transfer portal, I like that he was on campus even if we don't get him now, you never know what the future may hold, and those comments don't bother me, nor do I find them devastating.

There's no other way to take it but as devastating when a recruit tries to pay you a compliment and the best thing he can say is "they don't win much".

It actually only adds to the hilarity that some of our fans are like "no biggie!" That's probably more devastating than the comment itself.

I suppose we know our place in the world.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022

Maybe it’s you and not him? He said we can’t sell you on championships. How did you interpret that as “we can’t sell winning?”

Reactions: Gradstudent
Mar 24, 2022
There’s no reason Beamer should not be telling recruits our aim is to win a championship and with we need you to get there.
I remember Dabo preaching that and everybody making fun of him but look where it got him.That’s why Lane Kiffin is a perfect fit for Ole Miss or a school like Carolina.He’s got ball enough and is full of **** enough to convince recruits you can win big with me.Ole Miss is going to be a real handful this year.

Reactions: FootballLVR

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
The difference is, we are trying to say negative things about other programs. He was paying us a compliment and his compliment was "they don't win much".
Did he say “ they don’t win much?” Not what you posted in your op. Are you a democrat? You know, take your interpretation of something and wrap it in quotes like it is fact. Did he say what you quoted in your op, or what you quoted above?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Maybe it’s you and not him? He said we can’t sell you on championships. How did you interpret that as “we can’t sell winning?”

Let's wait and see what he says after his OV to UT. They haven't won a title of any kind in his lifetime, so he reasonably should say much the same thing about them if we are to take his comment strictly literally as a reference only to winning titles and not winning in general. If he says something similar after visiting there, I'll retract all my comments.

Last edited:

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
He might as well commit to Georgia or Ohio State.They look to be the favorites to win it all in the next few years.Alabama could get back in that conversation and also Texas and Florida St.Its a short list.
Florida State ain’t winning jack.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Let's wait and see what he says after his OV to UT. They haven't won a title of any kind in his lifetime, so he reasonably should say much the same thing if we are to take it strictly literally as a reference only to winning titles and not winning in general. If he says something similar after visiting there, I'll retract all my comments.
I believe our record against UT the last 15 years is seven and eight. go check out how many times UT has finished in the top four and top 10 the past 15 years..

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I believe our record against UT the last 15 years is seven and eight. go check out how many times UT has finished in the top four and top 10 the past 15 years..

That has nothing to with what I said, or the discussion overall.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
There's no other way to take it but as devastating when a recruit tries to pay you a compliment and the best thing he can say is "they don't win much".

It actually only adds to the hilarity that some of our fans are like "no biggie!" That's probably more devastating than the comment itself.

I suppose we know our place in the world.
Of course there is other ways to take it, people take things and spin things all the time, to meet there pre established narratives, like you did with this recruitment.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Of course there is other ways to take it, people take things and spin things all the time, like you did with this.

Well, as I said, let's see if makes the same point after visiting Tennessee. If his comment is supposed to be taken to be a reference only to winning titles, and not winning in general, he'll have to say the same thing about UT.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Well, as I said, let's see if makes the same point after visiting Tennessee. If his comment is supposed to be taken to be a reference only to winning titles, and not winning in general, he'll have to say the same thing about UT.

He wont make that point, why would he?, they have some national championships in the football trophy case, that I'm sure they will show him, maybe they cover up the year on the trophy, :), but I'm sure they show them to recruits no matter how old.

Mr. Belvedere

Dec 29, 2023
Don't see that as shade.. programs that sell on the past are largely living in the past. SC sells on future and potential. Much better pitch in this day and age.

• Haha
Reactions: 18IsTheMan

bcaldw01

Joined Jul 19, 2012
Jan 18, 2022
I put more stock in what his mother said about him "being taken care of on and off the field". Would really like to see what he/they say about the trip to the farm in the upstate.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Don't see that as shade.. programs that sell on the past are largely living in the past. SC sells on future and potential. Much better pitch in this day and age.

lol, yeah, I'm sure when kids visit Bama and see their 6 national title trophies under Saban they're like "naaah, man, that's ancient history."

Latest posts