David Sanders throws some devastating shade following his visit

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
Nope….just said we didn’t drive a Porsche. I didn’t but usually got the girl. Very few schools can recruit with the selling of their National Championships.
Well, let's see. Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, Clemson, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, SoCal, Miami, Florida State, etc. Of course I'm missing some. And most of these can say that they are close. It is certainly reasonable that most of them have a shot at the 12 team playoff. If you are THAT good (as you say you are) then maybe you should join the coaching staff and start recruiting.

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
There’s no reason Beamer should not be telling recruits our aim is to win a championship and with we need you to get there.
I remember Dabo preaching that and everybody making fun of him but look where it got him.That’s why Lane Kiffin is a perfect fit for Ole Miss or a school like Carolina.He’s got ball enough and is full of **** enough to convince recruits you can win big with me.Ole Miss is going to be a real handful this year.
You are correct but some folks around here aren't going to like the truth.

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
Don't see that as shade.. programs that sell on the past are largely living in the past. SC sells on future and potential. Much better pitch in this day and age.
We sure as heck can't sell him or any other on past successes - unless we bring back the head ball coach or Morrison from the grave.

b.wun

Joined Jan 23, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
He was actually trying to pay us a compliment, but….ouch. Kind of makes it worse that this was intended as a compliment.

“I feel like South Carolina can’t sell you on the national championships and things like that, so they really rely on relationships within the coaching staff, and that makes them real and genuine in who they are," said Sanders to On3.
I have no problem with it. It is the truth. We don't have those trophies in our past.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I have no problem with it. It is the truth. We don't have those trophies in our past.

As noted in a post above: perception is reality. You don't want top recruits out there touting the fact that you aren't a winner.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
For 99% of your top recruits, winning trumps all. Besides, I feel like everyone sells the relationship thing.
But we already know that Teasley can do it with some highly ranked prospects who had much better "offers" based on their achievements. Don't count Teasley out of this one.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
As the father of a 17 year old, I would just caution against trying to parse the words of a 17 or 18 year old or trying to assign any additional, underlying, or distilling messaging to his words. Trying to do so will drive you mad. I'm not saying they never think about the words they use (they often don't), but if they do, they definitely think differently about them than you or I do. It's just not worth it to hang on their words.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Well, let's see. Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, Clemson, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, SoCal, Miami, Florida State, etc. Of course I'm missing some. And most of these can say that they are close. It is certainly reasonable that most of them have a shot at the 12 team playoff. If you are THAT good (as you say you are) then maybe you should join the coaching staff and start recruiting.
This kid wasn’t alive when UT won or Miami. I believe Tulane won once if that’s the only barometer. UT fired a coach 3 years ago. Miami has sucked for 15 years.

But yea, several of those schools can preach recent championships and sell it. A few others can recruit using the word tradition, but I doubt any kid cares about Phillip Fulmer’s championship at UT. It’s all relative, you sell winning if you’re doing it, and you sell potential if you’re not. There’s also the in between. so Alabama Michigan, Ohio State, and a few others can fill their rosters, but they ain’t getting everyone so it’s up to others to build and knock them off.

But feel free to change the subject to who’s going to make the playoffs this year, that’s a different discussion than what the OP started with. Nice try.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
He’s point is, since they haven’t won a championship they can’t sell you on that like some others can.

Mar 24, 2022
Instead of touting National Championip possibilities how bout making the 12 team playoff as a possibility.I just don’t see why that’s not a reasonable goal.EVERBODY in the athletic program should be working toward that goal.
in listening to Nick Ssban he had everybody who had anything to do with football from secretaries in the football office to ticket people to academic counselors asking what could they do to help.
Don’t see that at schools wallowing in mediocrity.

Sparklecity

Jan 20, 2022
He was actually trying to pay us a compliment, but….ouch. Kind of makes it worse that this was intended as a compliment.

“I feel like South Carolina can’t sell you on the national championships and things like that, so they really rely on relationships within the coaching staff, and that makes them real and genuine in who they are," said Sanders to On3.
We can't even sell on a bowl game lol

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
lol, yeah, I'm sure when kids visit Bama and see their 6 national title trophies under Saban they're like "naaah, man, that's ancient history."
Maybe you should go be a Bama fan. Let’s just call a spade a spade. Your entire post history consists of misleading titles, followed by implied cuts at anything SC, then when called on it you use the “oh I only meant that” response to distance from what negative you implied. My mother in law has a PhD in that approach. It’s a strategy you use like most tater fans on here. You must be a double naught spy in the vein of Jethro Bodine. Lol.

So if that recruits comment worries you so much, then go be an Ohio State fan. 5 stars like Dylan Stewart and Harbor told me to wish you well.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Out of that list, how many have won a title in the last decade (the time frame a recruit likely can remember)?

That would be Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State. That's it. And Ohio State's last title is now 10 years ago.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
As noted in a post above: perception is reality. You don't want top recruits out there touting the fact that you aren't a winner.
Is there any way to change that perception other than by winning? We're not a winner. It's impossible to argue otherwise.

Mr. Belvedere

Dec 29, 2023
lol, yeah, I'm sure when kids visit Bama and see their 6 national title trophies under Saban they're like "naaah, man, that's ancient history."
Saban isn't walking thru the door or doing the selling.. good luck to them selling a depleted roster and staff that isn't reflective of those championships..

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Had that happen in my younger days, I replied "no we can't", turned my back to her, walked off and never talked to her again.

I never allowed myself to enter the friend zone. Not that I was catch or anything like that.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Saban isn't walking thru the door or doing the selling.. good luck to them selling a depleted roster and staff that isn't reflective of those championships..
Yeah, Bama is WAY down at #7 in the 2025 recruiting rankings right now. Bama is obviously a tough sell to recruits now.

Btw; Carolina is #27 right now. That "potential and the future" is really resonating with top recruits.