Deep passing game

med2659

Jul 23, 2022
Have we thrown Harrison Wallace any 50/50 type of ball down the field this season yet, like a fade?...i say this because coming out of HS this was his biggest skill especially if u see his HS basketball highlights...guy can fly and seems really at home in the air...he showed that in the Bue White Game and during practices before the season by all accounts...seems like an easy type of throw that even Clifford should be able to make...though i know he struggles with deep passes and really even giving his guy a chance to make a play on the ball

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
PSU doesn’t need to throw deep passes into double coverage but you can tell when Clifford has been instructed to do so by Coach Chrome Dome.

It was obvious that Clifford was trying to force “explosive plays” only to have Fraudklin confirm with his halftime comments that he thought they could/should exploit what CMU was showing on defense.

Apparently throwing to uncovered RB’s in the flat isn’t considered an “explosive play” 🤷🏼‍♂️

This is how a team repeatedly starts the season 5-0 only to finish 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcf4psu and Ram20

med2659

Jul 23, 2022
PSU doesn’t need to throw deep passes into double coverage but you can tell when Clifford has been instructed to do so by Coach Chrome Dome.

It was obvious that Clifford was trying to force “explosive plays” only to have Fraudklin confirm with his halftime comments that he thought they could/should exploit what CMU was showing on defense.

Apparently throwing to uncovered RB’s in the flat isn’t considered an “explosive play” 🤷🏼‍♂️

This is how a team repeatedly starts the season 5-0 only to finish 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4.
i agree take what the D gives u especially with our young backs...they should make the first man miss more times than not...and when i mentioned jump balls to Wallace i meant when he's one-on-one, not with safety help...it just seems that this offense needs some more deep explosive plays and fades/jump balls to especially Wallace and Tinsley seem like relatively safe plays with some high upside with a chance for pass interference as well

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021

yeah, and the sad thing is throwing those passes in the flat would open up the deep ball.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
i agree take what the D gives u especially with our young backs...they should make the first man miss more times than not...and when i mentioned jump balls to Wallace i meant when he's one-on-one, not with safety help...it just seems that this offense needs some more deep explosive plays and fades/jump balls to especially Wallace and Tinsley seem like relatively safe plays with some high upside with a chance for pass interference as well

They should always be apart of this offense, assuming they aren't high risk, but I think it's the last thing this offense "needs." When we start throwing deep fade routes to our receivers down the sideline that is precisely when this team has gotten off-schedule in the past. Continuing to evolve the running and short passing game is key for this program. Once we can do that, and as others have mentioned, throw check-downs and flats to the RB's, you will see deep balls. Those deep balls will not be of the 50/50 variety, they will be open because the defense will be loading the box and flats with defenders. Franklin's thoughts around "explosives" are the thing I disagree with him most as a coach. We had plenty of explosives against Auburn, they just weren't 50/50 hucks down the field. If we can continue to improve the run game and the line(we took a step back against CMU), you will see plenty of deep throws later in the season. We are still a very bad 3rd down team, we can't afford to waste downs taking deep shots, we have to stay on schedule and create short 3rd downs to keep our offense moving.

Reactions: LionJim

med2659

Jul 23, 2022
They should always be apart of this offense, assuming they aren't high risk, but I think it's the last thing this offense "needs." When we start throwing deep fade routes to our receivers down the sideline that is precisely when this team has gotten off-schedule in the past. Continuing to evolve the running and short passing game is key for this program. Once we can do that, and as others have mentioned, throw check-downs and flats to the RB's, you will see deep balls. Those deep balls will not be of the 50/50 variety, they will be open because the defense will be loading the box and flats with defenders. Franklin's thoughts around "explosives" are the thing I disagree with him most as a coach. We had plenty of explosives against Auburn, they just weren't 50/50 hucks down the field. If we can continue to improve the run game and the line(we took a step back against CMU), you will see plenty of deep throws later in the season. We are still a very bad 3rd down team, we can't afford to waste downs taking deep shots, we have to stay on schedule and create short 3rd downs to keep our offense moving.
i agree with that...i love play action off of the running game...that has worked well...and for the record i hated how we did fades to small wide receivers in the corners of the end zone in years past...i would just like to see Wallace use his best skill (jumping/high pointing the ball) instead of slants and in-routes

Reactions: Ram20