Do you agree or disagree?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think if you have a young family, go. It will be an experience they will long remember, win or lose. If you stop going after they have flown the nest, the kids will treat you to a game in your old age in order to relive the memories. Now if you are making a bet on Beamer, well, that's another story. BTCock is right about Beamer's recruiting. Gamecock fans were sold a bill of goods regarding his recruiting prowess.

Last edited:

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Agree. Unless you've just got that kind of money to burn. You could get single game tickets and go to a few games for the experience.

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Agree. Unless you've just got that kind of money to burn. You could get single game tickets and go to a few games for the experience.
Go to one game per year now. The only drawback is the traffic leaving. But that is true to just about any big event. Went to hear Paul McCartney in Winston-Salem a couple of years ago. Went to see the play Hamilton in Columbia last month. Traffic was crazy. Hell, I live in a city of about 32,000. The traffic here can be unbearable at times. It will be that way long after I have taken the exit ramp in this road trip called "life".

Reactions: mickray

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Disagree. You’re paying for the experience - wins and losses are just outcomes.
If the results are mediocre to poor all the time, that experience gets old after awhile. You want to see that there is progress and that you are not just going to a game to eat and talk to people.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I don't agree or disagree - it's about spending your disposable income on a recreational activity, so spend your money however you wish. But just be honest with yourself about your return on your happiness investment. Don't go just because it's what you've always done or because you feel obligated to "support your school" or team. Saturdays are precious, especially when you have kids. Kids' soccer games, camping trips, hunting and fishing experiences, church youth group activities, and tons of other worthwhile endeavors compete for those days. Spend your time and money on things you truly find valuable.

I have been a Gamecock fan for as long as I can remember, but I didn't grow up going to the games. I didn't know it at the time, but my parents didn't make a lot of money during my elementary school years, so they spent most of their weekends working their butts off remodeling our house or doing some kind of side gig to make a few extra bucks. It never occurred to me that we could go to a Carolina game any more than it would have occurred to me that we could go to Paris. I'd accompany them on their working Saturdays with my radio and thanks to Bob Fulton and Tommy Suggs, I never had to miss a game. By the time I was middle school age, their economic status started to improve and they began to have business acquaintances, some of whom had season tickets to either Carolina or Clemson games. As a result, my dad and I would occasionally catch a Carolina or Clemson game in person. I thought those were the best events ever and I'll never forget those experiences. But I'll also never forget the afternoon we caught about 40 bream and 9 or 10 bass in a farm pond with the game playing on a radio in the background, or the time my cub scout den went tent-camping at Paris Mountain State park, or the time we rode on a church bus up to Knoxville for the World's Fair, or a host of other great experiences that happened while South Carolina played a home game.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I live in Georgia and have a lot of friends who are UGA fans. One stopped buying season tickets in one of Richt's last years because he was disgusted with how they were playing and not winning a championship. The interesting thing was; he kept his tailgate spot and goes to Athens for every home game and tailgated with the same friends he had always tailgated with. He said he still loved the game day experience and the atmosphere being in Athens. He would set up a tv with satellite and watch the game from the tailgate spot while most everyone else went into the game. Eventually, he had a small group of around 20 or so that would migrate to his tailgate around kickoff and they would all watch the game on the tv. The money he saved by not buying the tickets more than paid for all of his travel and tailgate expenses.

Ironically; in the intervening years, he has enough friends from the tailgate who end up with an extra ticket that he is able to go into the stadium now and watch whichever game he wants to. The friends always give him the ticket for free since he puts on such a nice big tailgate party so now he sees all the games he wants to see and it actually costs him less than when he had season tickets. He says there are generally only a couple games a year he really wants to see in person, he doesn't care about going in to watch the cupcakes and the games UGA should win easily.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I don't agree or disagree - it's about spending your disposable income on a recreational activity, so spend your money however you wish. But just be honest with yourself about your return on your happiness investment. Don't go just because it's what you've always done or because you feel obligated to "support your school" or team. Saturdays are precious, especially when you have kids. Kids' soccer games, camping trips, hunting and fishing experiences, church youth group activities, and tons of other worthwhile endeavors compete for those days. Spend your time and money on things you truly find valuable.

I have been a Gamecock fan for as long as I can remember, but I didn't grow up going to the games. I didn't know it at the time, but my parents didn't make a lot of money during my elementary school years, so they spent most of their weekends working their butts off remodeling our house or doing some kind of side gig to make a few extra bucks. It never occurred to me that we could go to a Carolina game any more than it would have occurred to me that we could go to Paris. I'd accompany them on their working Saturdays with my radio and thanks to Bob Fulton and Tommy Suggs, I never had to miss a game. By the time I was middle school age, their economic status started to improve and they began to have business acquaintances, some of whom had season tickets to either Carolina or Clemson games. As a result, my dad and I would occasionally catch a Carolina or Clemson game in person. I thought those were the best events ever and I'll never forget those experiences. But I'll also never forget the afternoon we caught about 40 bream and 9 or 10 bass in a farm pond with the game playing on a radio in the background, or the time my cub scout den went tent-camping at Paris Mountain State park, or the time we rode on a church bus up to Knoxville for the World's Fair, or a host of other great experiences that happened while South Carolina played a home game.
Sounds a lot like my childhood. I grew up listening to Georgia games on the radio since my dad was a UGA grad and we didn't have a TV. (I didn't become a Gamecock until going to college.) But anyway, lots of great memories with my family and college football. When ESPN360 became a thing, my siblings and I would watch games on the computer. Typically my dad would have the radio on in another part of the house and run in when something good happened, so we always knew a few seconds before the TV broadcast played that a good play was coming. We would listen to games in the yard while picking up pecans, working in the garden, shooting hoops, etc. Good times!

Cluster Cock

Joined May 4, 2021 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 28, 2022
I have never "wasted" a dollar on anything Gamecock related. I have freely given money to the cause and I've enjoyed every minute of it.
If you would have told me before I left the house that it was gonna rain today and we're gonna play like **** and there's gonna be a traffic jam leaving, I would have still gone. I get to spend time with my wife or my (grown) son and my friends and that's worth a lot to me.

My son texted me last Tuesday and said "let's go to Columbia for the women's celebration at Colonial Life. I texted back that I had a client dinner that night and couldn't go. 30 minutes later I called him and told him I had cancelled my dinner plans and let's leave now. He said, "I knew you would change your mind and go".

I have 4 Zone football tickets, 6 basketball tickets at midcourt and 8 baseball tickets in section 9 and I support Garnet Trust. It's a 6 hour roundtrip from MB. I rarely go to basketball games and I'm going to my first baseball game this year Saturday.

My wife has often said "have you ever stopped and added up how much money you've spent over the years on Gamecock stuff." And I say "nope, I would have pissed it away on something else." Wasted? Never!

Forever to Thee!

Feb 24, 2024
If the results are mediocre to poor all the time, that experience gets old after awhile. You want to see that there is progress and that you are not just going to a game to eat and talk to people.
I've been in Gamecock gear since I was in diapers. I went to every home game from 1992 - 2005 and some away games in that window. Joined the original GamecockCentral in 2000. But after our 2008 loss at Clemson, I took all of my Gamecock gear - clothing, posters, etc - and put it on the driveway of the 2BR bungalow rental I shared with a classmate while in grad school at Texas - and I set it on fire and watched it burn.

I'm glad I live 1200 miles away and don't feel compelled to regularly go to games or buy season tickets. But I'm still a rabid fan living and dying with every play on TV and Gamecast. But I'm also glad that my children aren't being raised as rabid fans. In all objectiveness, I think my parents raising me as a die hard has more downside than upside. So it's a function of both distance and reflections on my own life.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I've been in Gamecock gear since I was in diapers. I went to every home game from 1992 - 2005 and some away games in that window. Joined the original GamecockCentral in 2000. But after our 2008 loss at Clemson, I took all of my Gamecock gear - clothing, posters, etc - and put it on the driveway of the 2BR bungalow rental I shared with a classmate while in grad school at Texas - and I set it on fire and watched it burn.

I'm glad I live 1200 miles away and don't feel compelled to regularly go to games or buy season tickets. But I'm still a rabid fan living and dying with every play on TV and Gamecast. But I'm also glad that my children aren't being raised as rabid fans. In all objectiveness, I think my parents raising me as a die hard has more downside than upside. So it's a function of both distance and reflections on my own life.
What are the downsides of being a diehard fan?

My parents didn't raise me as a diehard sports fan, I discovered that on my own. Now I do have to say that I've never been so diehard that a loss would ruin my week or anything like that.

Dutch Cock

Joined Nov 14, 2005
Jan 17, 2022
My thoughts are if you like the experience and you can afford it, do it, can't tell you how many pleasurable times I have had being a season ticket holder going to home and away games. If it's too expensive or you are going expecting a win 80% of the time, stay home and watch it on TV or watch some other game where you won't get frustrated win or lose.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Welcome to Columbia, where we sell the experience and not the product!

Man, how lame are we?

"You're a total moron if you're expecting to come see a win, or even a good game. You're coming so you can enjoy the ambiance."

I suppose our fan base has taken on this posture out of necessity, but it sure is damning.

Feb 24, 2024
What are the downsides of being a diehard fan?

Now I do have to say that I've never been so diehard that a loss would ruin my week or anything like that.
Fair question and I think your musing partially answered it. Burning possessions in a driveway over a loss, as I have done, is not healthy, well adjusted behavior.

- In 2007, I reflexively vomited when we lost a Super Regional to Chapel Hill because I hate the Tar Heels so much.

- It took me 3 full years of going to grad school at Texas to buy and wear a burnt orange tee shirt because I had such a visceral hatred of the color. My parents literally removed orange crayons and markers from Crayola boxes when I was a kid and threw them away

- I have sworn off fandom forever probably 50 times, and every time fallen off the wagon in days. When we lost to Clemson 5-4 on back to back days in baseball earlier this spring, I angrily swore off the Gamecocks forever. Again. That lasted maybe 18 hours and I ordered 2 new Gamecock shirts

These are not pictures of healthy human behavior. I'm a massive golf fan, but I'm not invested in any particular player. I have favorite players, but if they win or miss the cut it doesn't affect me either way. I just love to watch world class golf.

I wish I had that type of relationship with watching the Gamecocks

• Haha
Reactions: will110

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Fair question and I think your musing partially answered it. Burning possessions in a driveway over a loss, as I have done, is not healthy, well adjusted behavior.

- In 2007, I reflexively vomited when we lost a Super Regional to Chapel Hill because I hate the Tar Heels so much.

- It took me 3 full years of going to grad school at Texas to buy and wear a burnt orange tee shirt because I had such a visceral hatred of the color. My parents literally removed orange crayons and markers from Crayola boxes when I was a kid and threw them away

- I have sworn off fandom forever probably 50 times, and every time fallen off the wagon in days. When we lost to Clemson 5-4 on back to back days in baseball earlier this spring, I angrily swore off the Gamecocks forever. Again. That lasted maybe 18 hours and I ordered 2 new Gamecock shirts

These are not pictures of healthy human behavior. I'm a massive golf fan, but I'm not invested in any particular player. I have favorite players, but if they win or miss the cut it doesn't affect me either way. I just love to watch world class golf.

I wish I had that type of relationship with watching the Gamecocks
Man you have problems! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, that definitely doesn't sound healthy, so I get where you're coming from now. I have to say, though, I won't wear orange and don't own orange (other than a blaze orange vest for hunting). For me losing hurts, but I try to keep it in perspective. It's just sports, it ultimately doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Now I do have to say that I've never been so diehard that a loss would ruin my week or anything like that.

Used to be that way for me. I'd toss and turn in bed after a loss. Just couldn't turn my brain off thinking about it. It's not as much of a problem now, for 2 reasons: 1. I no longer have any expectations and numb to the losing and 2. I can pretty much tell within the first quarter of many games if it's going to "one of those days" for us (e.g. Missouri 2022, UNC 2023) and I shut the game off before I have to watch us get humiliated again.

VZVZ

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jun 20, 2023
I went to A&M in the years we hardly ever lost. After that I tempered expectations and learned to enjoy life. Being a fan of A&M/ South Carolina / Wake Forest will do that to you.

The only thing about season tickets is not having enough of them. College football in the south is an experience that can’t be replicated.

Latest posts