Does anybody else bother to grill asparagus?

jaycee993

Sep 2, 2021
While on the bbq topic. I have been smoking and grilling for close to 50 years. Its something I really enjoy. So, the other night I am grilling a 2 lb marinated skirt steak from Costco at high heat. Takes about 12-15 mins.....So its 9pm and I hear my neighbor with his leaf blower going right over the wall.......I say "hey Ken what are you doing with yoiur leaf blower at 9pm?....He said his yard is very smokey. Ken comes from a culture where they dont bbq, mostly stir fry food. I feel bad because I lost it and cussed him out but I still think what he did was kind of passive aggressive ....not our first run in.....I AM NOT GOING TO STOP GRILLING!

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I also enjoy grilled peaches and apricots, especially with bbq pork dishes or just as a simple desert with a scoop of vanilla.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Pineapple for me. I did grill watermelon but that ended up being a "no".

I messed up my attempt at grilling watermelon, but I once had a faux-meat/BBQ dish (in a vegetarian restaurant in Santa Barbara) comprised of grilled watermelon, and it smelled shockingly like meat and was surprisingly tasty.

I like to grill the pineapple with a sprinkling of brown sugar and cimamon.

Reactions: Pudly76

dblwall

Aug 24, 2017
My wifes favorite is marinate them in Italian dressing then put em on the grill. I won't eat that stuff, don't want my pee smelling like asparagus.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
My wifes favorite is marinate them in Italian dressing then put em on the grill. I won't eat that stuff, don't want my pee smelling like asparagus.

Italian dressing as a marinade on any grilled ocean white fish is the bomb. Just good eats.

I just ordered and received 10 pounds of ocean longline fresh-caught mahi-mahi, deboned and cut into individually wrapped 6 ounce steaks from Costco. It arrived today in perfect frozen condition. I hadn’t thought about applying Italian dressing to it until I was reminded by your post. Thanks.

Lately we have been eating ocean whitefish (haddock, cod, mahi-mahi, or even ono (wahoo) breaded with Panko flakes and fried as fish and chips.

Can’t eat too much good fish. I love a good beef steak, lamb, pork chops or loin, etc., but fresh caught fish* is so much better for you than any kind of red meat.

* As long as it wasn’t caught within 5000 miles of the now infamous Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
While on the bbq topic. I have been smoking and grilling for close to 50 years. Its something I really enjoy. So, the other night I am grilling a 2 lb marinated skirt steak from Costco at high heat. Takes about 12-15 mins.....So its 9pm and I hear my neighbor with his leaf blower going right over the wall.......I say "hey Ken what are you doing with yoiur leaf blower at 9pm?....He said his yard is very smokey. Ken comes from a culture where they dont bbq, mostly stir fry food. I feel bad because I lost it and cussed him out but I still think what he did was kind of passive aggressive ....not our first run in.....I AM NOT GOING TO STOP GRILLING!
That has to be one of the crazier neighbor stories I've ever heard. Skirt steak doesn't even get that smokey, no fat.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Then you had better not eat shell fish or take fish oil supplements, cause those things make smelly #1's.😷

• Haha

CP619

Aug 24, 2017
Do you blanch it before putting it on the BBQ?

Does anyone blanch asparagus at all?

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Do you blanch it before putting it on the BBQ?

Does anyone blanch asparagus at all?
Not really necessary. But if you do, it cuts down the cooking time on the grill, which is only a few minutes anyway.
I Blanche them and other veggies when I do stir fry.

Reactions: CP619
Jan 17, 2024
Love caramelized carrots .. on the grill, in the oven or under the broiler.
Would you put a little brown sugar on them to help draw out the sweetness? I do that with my cast iron. Also, on the carrot subject, I did Thanksgiving dinner that roasted carrots, shallots, onions, and celery in the pan with the turkey drippings and stock. My gravy was a little too sweet. It was really good, but by my standards it was too sweet.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Would you put a little brown sugar on them to help draw out the sweetness? I do that with my cast iron. Also, on the carrot subject, I did Thanksgiving dinner that roasted carrots, shallots, onions, and celery in the pan with the turkey drippings and stock. My gravy was a little too sweet. It was really good, but by my standards it was too sweet.
I haven’t. But I have done brandied carrots that are sooo good too. Not much difference truth be told.

I regularly roast veggies under my chickens, beef or even pork roasts. Always a favorite in my home.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Since other vegetables got into dis thread, one of our most favorite is grilled eggplant. Look for & pick 3/4 ripe and firm eggplant. Cut into 1/2" steaks. Marinate both sides with olive oil, white wine, lemon juice , garlic powder + Greek seasoning for about 1 hour. Grill it nicely. When done, cut each eggplant steaks into 3 pieces.

Make a balsamic vinegar, olive oil + Greek seasoning dressing. Drip onto grilled eggplant slices. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro. It goes well with steaks, grill seafood, Italian, Greek, Portugese, & Spanish cuisine.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Latest posts