Does Indiana State deserve to host two years in a row?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
They hosted last season—congratulations—but their stadium holds 2500. The largest official attendance of a regional game last year was 2418.

I'm all for giving opportunities to small programs that have never hosted, but I would feel no obligation to give them two in a row. There should be some expectation to build facilities and show up if you want to host on a regular basis.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Didn't we have to go to Missouri Directional school, a few years back, that had about 1,200 bleacher seats?
Not sure they are focused on big stadiums.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Stadium size shouldn’t be a primary factor. There are minimum facility requirements that must be met to submit a bid. If they meet the requirements they’ve been given, I don’t think having a smaller stadium than most should be held against them.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They played nine Quad 1 games and lost six of them.

What have they done to earn a second regional in a stadium that holds 2500?
RPI is a bad system, but the NCAA pre-established that it would be a key factor, and their RPI is #9. Thus, they shouldn't even be on the hosting bubble, but solidly hosting.

Stadium size has not mattered in years.

Also, who cares? We're going to win the Terre Haute Regional anyway, book it.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
If we are going to host, Our people will likely know Saturday, It will have been worked out, the announcement show is Monday.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Look at South Carolina: Beat Alabama (24), Arkansas (5), and Kentucky (3); lost LSU (22) twice.

Effect on RPI: Moved down 1 spot.
It’s math. It’s nothing nefarious. And they have not moved since Sunday. When you are 19 it’s tough to move up. The 3 teams in front of them are winning too.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
East Carolina lost and their RPI dropped to 22. I think they could be the one whose spot we take.

Would be nice if Duke lost too, though.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It’s math. It’s nothing nefarious. And they have not moved since Sunday. When you are 19 it’s tough to move up. The 3 teams in front of them are winning too.
My point is not that it’s nefarious. It’s a flawed metric. San Diego moved up 6 spots to 17 this week, playing teams ranked 57 (twice) and 170. South Carolina and State play top teams and move down.

And the movement +/- is since Sunday.

Reactions: patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
My point is not that it’s nefarious. It’s a flawed metric. San Diego moved up 6 spots to 17 this week, playing teams ranked 57 (twice) and 170. South Carolina and State play top teams and move down.

And the movement +/- is since Sunday.
They are 3-0 this week which is far better than their adjusted record. Portland is 37-19. Thats a lot better than San Diegos current opponent win percentage.

State went 2-2 which is actually worse than their overall adjusted record so that’s a negative. States opponents were roughly better than its current opponent win percentage but not enough to overcome the lower win % and what others are doing.

You simply cannot look at it game by game to understand how it works. It’s so dependent on what other teams do as well. If you look at it as an entire season it’s not really that puzzling. If you don’t like the formula as a whole that’s fine. I get that. But pointing out day by day movements isn’t a good way to look at it.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

HotMop

May 8, 2006
They hosted last season—congratulations—but their stadium holds 2500. The largest official attendance of a regional game last year was 2418.

I'm all for giving opportunities to small programs that have never hosted, but I would feel no obligation to give them two in a row. There should be some expectation to build facilities and show up if you want to host on a regular basis.
Don't be a *****.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's math. But it's bad math. The metric is seriously flawed. If you put #9 Indiana St. in the SEC, they'd be playing on Tuesday in the SEC tournament. If they make it at all.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It's math. But it's bad math. The metric is seriously flawed. If you put #9 Indiana St. in the SEC, they'd be playing on Tuesday in the SEC tournament. If they make it at all.
And they most likely don’t make the tournament

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No doubt. It’s just funny to watch state fans come unglued over a longstanding metric bc our staff scheduled poorly and the team lost too many games it shouldn’t have

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If you went to the regional at ull several years ago you know small stadiums. Suck and the stadiums are better at the mid major schools like usm and ull. I would hate to go to a regional at Indiana state or ucsb. Those are a lot farther away but sucks for visiting fans who travel and can't get in. Not sure what their home crowds are like so might not be as bad as usm or ull. But at Duke or in Starkville you can fit home fans and other teams fans a lot easier.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
They are 3-0 this week which is far better than their adjusted record. Portland is 37-19. Thats a lot better than San Diegos current opponent win percentage.

State went 2-2 which is actually worse than their overall adjusted record so that’s a negative. States opponents were roughly better than its current opponent win percentage but not enough to overcome the lower win % and what others are doing.

You simply cannot look at it game by game to understand how it works. It’s so dependent on what other teams do as well. If you look at it as an entire season it’s not really that puzzling. If you don’t like the formula as a whole that’s fine. I get that. But pointing out day by day movements isn’t a good way to look at it.
Ok, let’s look at the whole season: RPI has Indiana State 6 spots ahead of NC State. NC State has weekend series wins over Duke, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, and Wake Forest (sweep). They had a Saturday game canceled and split two against Florida State.

What has Indiana State done?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Indiana State just lost to Evansville (RPI 77) to add to their loss earlier this week to Southern Illinois (RPI 155).

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
If you went to the regional at ull several years ago you know small stadiums. Suck and the stadiums are better at the mid major schools like usm and ull. I would hate to go to a regional at Indiana state or ucsb. Those are a lot farther away but sucks for visiting fans who travel and can't get in. Not sure what their home crowds are like so might not be as bad as usm or ull. But at Duke or in Starkville you can fit home fans and other teams fans a lot easier.
Regionals in Starkville are a blast.

Duke seats 2,000 and isn’t even a high-end G5.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I will point out that USM has the highest baseball attendance of any non-SEC school. That's not just non-P5, but non-SEC. Louisiana is also in the top 25. So both of those are actually really good sized crowds compared to some teams that host, especially those not in the Power conferences.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I will point out that USM has the highest baseball attendance of any non-SEC school. That's not just non-P5, but non-SEC. Louisiana is also in the top 25. So both of those are actually really good sized crowds compared to some teams that host, especially those not in the Power conferences.

I wonder if Tennessee is going to build a better stadium. Is the premium for those 5000 seats through the roof?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Ok, let’s look at the whole season: RPI has Indiana State 6 spots ahead of NC State. NC State has weekend series wins over Duke, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, and Wake Forest (sweep). They had a Saturday game canceled and split two against Florida State.

What has Indiana State done?
Let me be clear. I’m not arguing that RPI is the most accurate measure. But I’m saying you can’t Get caught up in trying to figure out how it works game by game

but the answer to why Indiana State is so high is that they have the best winning percentage in the country which is 25%. And they have an OOC SOS of 17 which compensates a good bit for a bad conference SOS.

But make no mistake. RPI will reward a team that beats teams that aren’t all that great. For example, playing at Samford is one of the best things you can do.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But how far did the RATINGS drop? Very irresponsible Tweet.
Exactly. Throwing out rankings is misleading. And Throwing out an opponents RPI may be worse reporting. All those teams are well above .500- that matters way more than their own RPI calculation ( Murray State has an 65% win percentage) And Indiana State still has the best adjusted win percentage in the country after all that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
But how far did the RATINGS drop? Very irresponsible Tweet.
No. It's not. Yes, State has been yo-yoing between 17-25 because the gaps in raw rating is small. But Indiana States schedule & 2 losses should have dropped them hundreds of points in any reasonable metric that had them ranked thst high. They should have tumbled into the 20s based in that week alone.