does this make sense going on 4th down in a close game?

Bvillebaron

All-Conference
Feb 4, 2004
3,157
3,109
113
Infuriating, and what the heck was with all the fair catches on the kick offs? Why would you give up 10-20 yards, and possibly more?
If I recall correctly OSU was stopped on 4th a couple of times. As far as fair catching the kickoffs, I really am at a loss to understand how you think Lovett was giving up 10-20 yards on high kickoffs as opposed to taking the ball on the 25. You really think that if he ran those kickoffs back he was going to return them to the 35 or 45 yard line each time? I mean really.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Whiteout Lion

86PSUPaul

All-Conference
Aug 17, 2017
425
1,356
93
Infuriating, and what the heck was with all the fair catches on the kick offs? Why would you give up 10-20 yards, and possibly more?
If you fair catch within the 25 you get it at the 25, do you really think if fielded at the 10 we would be able to get it out to the 35 or 45 consistently, your supposed lost 10 to 20 yds past the 25?
 

Phlebitis

All-Conference
Oct 25, 2021
1,729
2,368
113
If you fair catch within the 25 you get it at the 25, do you really think if fielded at the 10 we would be able to get it out to the 35 or 45 consistently, your supposed lost 10 to 20 yds past the 25?
 

Attachments

  • E8641D71-A3FF-4DB4-BD94-4F05EC2B0518.jpeg
    E8641D71-A3FF-4DB4-BD94-4F05EC2B0518.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 5

91Joe95

All-Conference
Aug 15, 2003
2,843
4,080
113
If I recall correctly OSU was stopped on 4th a couple of times. As far as fair catching the kickoffs, I really am at a loss to understand how you think Lovett was giving up 10-20 yards on high kickoffs as opposed to taking the ball on the 25. You really think that if he ran those kickoffs back he was going to return them to the 35 or 45 yard line each time? I mean really.

I guess chunk plays never occur on kickoffs.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Here's why Penn State's Offense Imploded Against Wisconsin
  2. 02 BWI Football It's Penn State-Northwestern week: Game time, spread, channel, streaming info, storylines, more
  3. 03 BWI Football Penn State faces its first loss. Now comes the response.
  4. 04 BWI Football Penn State drops just outside the AP Top 25 following loss to Wisconsin
  5. 05 BWI Football Where is Penn State now ranked after Week 4 in the Coaches Poll?