Donte permanent head coach??

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
No, it’s laughable that you continue to talk shet and play the victim. I think you do so much, you don’t even realize you do it.

Just remember, when this thread gets locked or moved, it ain’t on me.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Wow. Just wow.

Wait….you actually believe that? That you’re innocent in all this?
No, I think certain people misunderstand what I say and why. That’s a them problem, not a me problem.
it is what it is.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
The Pac 12 is a joke. Clay Helton could walk though 9 and possibly 10 wins so I don’t know how you can make a call based on a PAC 12 record. Mike Bohn will have a tough decision to make. I’m just having fun reading the Williams HC post every other day.

So many USC fans are the turn the other cheek types. They get smacked in the face 3 times (Helton, Sark, Kiffin) and now they want to turn the other cheek to get smack again with a new gamble hire. An intelligent man would learn how to duck and dodge the next time.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
You know this is remarkably, almost eerily similar to thanks giving at my in-laws. Neither sister would relinquish the final word…🤯
Agreed, if that’s what it takes, I guess I’ll have to step up, thanks Puddles

For the record, I tried to keep it polite and football focused

Reactions: Pudly76

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
The Pac 12 is a joke. Clay Helton could walk though 9 and possibly 10 wins so I don’t know how you can make a call based on a PAC 12 record. Mike Bohn will have a tough decision to make. I’m just having fun reading the Williams HC post every other day.

So many USC fans are the turn the other cheek types. They get smacked in the face 3 times (Helton, Sark, Kiffin) and now they want to turn the other cheek to get smack again with a new gamble hire. An intelligent man would learn how to duck and dodge the next time.
Stockholm Syndrome for sure "May I have some more sir"

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017

Not every situation nor every coach is the same. Each should be evaluated on his own merit. We all know if any of those three were coaching this team, these players, in that situation on Saturday, they would have packed it in and we would have lost. If Donte takes this team undefeated the rest of the way and into the CFP or NY Six bowl game...he deserves a look. Also, I think most of us are still taking the wait-and-see approach...I don't see anyone really saying he's the guy. My stance of course is that he's the interim until we have the guy we want. No settling for anyone. Period. I don't want the 5th, 6th, 7th choice on our list. Keep Donte as the interim for as long as it takes. Nobody ever said you cannot keep him in the interim even through next season.

Reactions: Pudly76

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Not every situation nor every coach is the same. Each should be evaluated on his own merit. We all know if any of those three were coaching this team, these players, in that situation on Saturday, they would have packed it in and we would have lost. If Donte takes this team undefeated the rest of the way and into the CFP or NY Six bowl game...he deserves a look. Also, I think most of us are still taking the wait-and-see approach...I don't see anyone really saying he's the guy. My stance of course is that he's the interim until we have the guy we want. No settling for anyone. Period. I don't want the 5th, 6th, 7th choice on our list. Keep Donte as the interim for as long as it takes. Nobody ever said you cannot keep him in the interim even through next season.
Nobody takes a interim coach into another season? That’s crazy talk if you think you’re still a Blue Blood organization. You have to make a call 1 way or another. Chris Kleiman is right there no excuse to not hire someone.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Not sure I agree with the as long as it takes route. Recruits don’t like uncertainty. Dragging an interim into another season screams incompetence. If you strike out on your guys, then promote the interim and deal with results. But you’ll have a difficult time getting kids to commit to a program that has no idea what direction they want to go.
I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. I think you can keep Donte as interim AND know what direction you want to go. You just need to find the coach that fits that direction or strategy and not the other way around.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Nobody takes a interim coach into another season? That’s crazy talk if you think you’re still a Blue Blood organization. You have to make a call 1 way or another. Chris Kleiman is right there no excuse to not hire someone.
I just don't see handing over the keys to another HC who isn't what we need. I mean where are we? Clamoring for non-power five head coaches who have lost more big games than they have won...or haven't played the level of competition we play on our schedule year in and year out? Kleiman - great a decent coach for where he is...personally I don't think he's a great fit and I don't see him beating Oregon or Notre Dame or LSU. Same goes for Fickell and even Campbell. Let's not take some midwesterner and try to plug them into a Blue Blood program like USC. We need someone near the caliber of Meyer, Saban, Dabo. Very few college coaches fit that description. I would try to pry Riley or Cristobal, but outside of that....I'm heading to the NFL and that coach would need Donte on the staff.

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Mario Cristobal has never been a coordinator either. But he did have head coaching experience, although it was a failure. And he can recruit top coordinators to come work for him. Same with coach Orgeron. That is the difference.
But he is has been an exceptional line coach. His guys win big go to the league. How many top DBs have won awards under Donte? Maybe one or none..again what is he exceptional at? We can get a guy that can recruit as well as him, and kiss the guys too.

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
FYI, there are three Head Coaches in the last 10 years, in other words, every coach who has won a National Championship not named Nick Saban, who had never been a coordinator before they became Head Coaches.
Their names are Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, both went from WR coach to HC and Ed Orgeron D Line Coach.

Oops Edit: I forgot Jimbo Fisher, but my point still stands
Dabo Swinney
Utban Meyer
Ed Orgeron

Never Coordinators

Also, LOL at you being so rustled over Donte giving Dart a kiss on the cheek.
Well Blem than kiss away guys. Lol

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Well Blem than kiss away guys. Lol
I kiss my sons on the cheek all the time
Of all the things we have to concern ourselves with, I just don’t think it’s a big deal, especially given the emotion or the situation

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
I kiss my sons on the cheek all the time
Of all the things we have to concern ourselves with, I just don’t think it’s a big deal, especially given the emotion or the situation
Blem on the real, we just had a coach who had the loves of his life. Kissing your loved ones, even a player, it has its time and place….but not the football field, come on man!!!! bLEM!!! Ok maybe we can set a new trend and we someday will see Saban kissing his guys too.

Last edited:

USCAlum88

Nov 26, 2020
Does Donte have a legit shot at becoming the next head coach of SC. What would he need to do to justify SC hiring him as a HC. 9 games left. Go 7-2, 8-1? Beat either Fucla or Notre Dame? Win the south? Win the conference? What does he need to do to seriously put his name in the mix of the next HC.
If we end the regular season 10-2 then it should be his job.

Reactions: Redskins Rick

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
But he is has been an exceptional line coach. His guys win big go to the league. How many top DBs have won awards under Donte? Maybe one or none..again what is he exceptional at? We can get a guy that can recruit as well as him, and kiss the guys too.
Does anyone remember who Cristobal lost to last season? Hardly a who’s who..

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If we end the regular season 10-2 then it should be his job.
This shouldn't be the standard. Going 10-2 in the PAC-12 with a loss to Utah or Notre Dame doesn't say much that's just Hugs all over again. He'd have to show much more than a win versus WAZZU or beating Notre Dame or UCLA. Hugs could do that and did.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
That’s completely untrue.

I responded to your three coaches in the last 10 years “ post with a breakdown of each coach and an opinion that it was correlation v causation.

Your next response was impolite and non-football related….

“Excuse me. I thought you understood I have no interest in interacting with you?
I haven’t disrespected you, but I refuse to interact with people who don’t give me the same consideration in return.

I‘m not one to put someone on ignore, but you may not give me a choice.

And I realize, your reply is going to be But you are interacting with me now, yuckity yuk, so don’t bother.”

Your lack of self-awareness is staggering.
No, my self awareness is just fine

this is what prompted that response.

From Saturday Night
August West said:
Don’t take this the wrong way, but you don’t know what real racism is….Im talking deep South racism.
Trust me, that stuff you’re talking about goes the other way too. I went to an all white school, we went into all black neighborhoods in basketball….it wasn’t pleasant. Threats, racial slurs. Whatever. It is what it is, some folks are like that. Doesn’t mean all are. I certainly didn’t think every black person was racist because a couple were. They were just words to me. Still are.

The problem here is that those on the Left consistently toss that racism slur around when they don’t like the trajectory of the conversation….or run out of ammo to debate the point. That’s what irks some of us. It such a weak play.
The term Racist used to have a very serious implications, now it’s just pejorative for someone you disagree with.
Don’t take this the wrong way, but after your last tirade, I don‘t really have much interest in discussing much with you. With all due respect

And then this

[IMG alt="August West"]https://on3static.com/xf/data/avatars/s/166/166668.jpg?1576723094[/IMG]

August West

Well-known member​

BlemBlam said:
Don’t take this the wrong way, but after your last tirade, I don‘t really have much interest in discussing much with you. With all due respect
lol….not surprising.

And then this

BlemBlam

Well-known member​

August West said:
lol….not surprising.
BlemBlam said
I’m serious, why would I want to engage with you?
After our polite dialogue yesterday, I thought ok, I may have misjudged him.
But you continue to put words in my mouth, and just pull what you think I mean out of your,….whatever, and then launch into some wild tirade about white supremacy and other BS.

I’m just not up for it. It’s coma inducing

and then this

[IMG alt="August West"]https://on3static.com/xf/data/avatars/s/166/166668.jpg?1576723094[/IMG]

August West

Well-known member​

BlemBlam said:
I’m serious, why would I want to engage with you?
But you are. Right now.

And then this

BlemBlam

Well-known member​

August West said:
But you are. Right now.
Not for long

There is nothing wrong with my self awareness.

I didn’t believe you had the audacity to actually quote me after that, which is what prompted that response
ive also made repeated attempts in this thread to guide you back to football takes if you want me to interact with you.

Good day to you sir

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Blem on the real, we went from a coach who had the loves of his life. Kissing your loved ones, even a player, it has its time and place….but not the football field, come on man!!!! bLEM!!! Ok maybe we can set a new trend and we someday will see Saban kissing his guys too.
Not what I’m saying. I’d rather have him kiss his QB on the cheek, in that wildly emotional and pivotal moment than every kid on the team coming off the bus.

I thought it was awesome, and the look on Dontes face after was great.

I don’t care about Clay and Toa. This ain’t the same thing IMO

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Not what I’m saying. I’d rather have him kiss his QB on the cheek, in that wildly emotional and pivotal moment than every kid on the team coming off the bus.

I thought it was awesome, and the look on Dontes face after was great.

I don’t care about Clay and Toa. This ain’t the same thing IMO
We gonna have to agree to disagree on this one Blem, but I hear ya.

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
I would personally like to see us break the cycle of interim to permanent head coaches. However, I guess it depends on a few things:

1. How well does the team do the remainder of the season? I'm not saying a single loss should remove him from the discussion, but it's going to be a hard sell if he loses, especially if he loses big and repeatedly. However, this is entirely within his control.
  2. Who are the other candidates that would say yes? I would take LF, UM and a few proven others over Donte even if Donte wins out just because we've been stung by this before, but that's my personal opinion.
Hindsight is indeed 20/20 and if we go with someone else and Donte proves to be a winning HC, then we were obviously wrong, but just be aware that a truly successful winning HC is an ultra rare commodity and the odds are stacked against him (as with anyone else on every PAC-12 coaching staff right now).

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I would personally like to see us break the cycle of interim to permanent head coaches. However, I guess it depends on a few things:

1. How well does the team do the remainder of the season? I'm not saying a single loss should remove him from the discussion, but it's going to be a hard sell if he loses, especially if he loses big and repeatedly. However, this is entirely within his control.
  2. Who are the other candidates that would say yes? I would take LF, UM and a few proven others over Donte even if Donte wins out just because we've been stung by this before, but that's my personal opinion.
Hindsight is indeed 20/20 and if we go with someone else and Donte proves to be a winning HC, then we were obviously wrong, but just be aware that a truly successful winning HC is an ultra rare commodity and the odds are stacked against him (as with anyone else on every PAC-12 coaching staff right now).
Everyone seems to think meyer is a sure winner. But looking at his qb development, who has he really developed since utah? And looking at his most recent playoff runs, he hasn’t scored a playoff point since his first year at tosu.

Rigged4fun

Aug 24, 2017
I think we all agree that Donte has the fire to be a HC, but not the experience per se. I'm hoping that when the new HC is picked, Donte is kept on the staff. I can appreciate his drive and excitement. No matter how it comes out, he has shown a lot of excitement.

Just a note about the ongoing discussion (if you call it) between a few posters. Years ago we went through this same thing, a few posters decided they didn't like each other and it became so derogatory that the board became a depository for personal attacks. I know Garry became aggravated and issued several notices. Remember this is a board to speak about the issues of USC football, not personal vendettas about who said what, and who lied about it.

If you don't agree with someone's perspective on a game, coaching, or other football related issues, please don't attack other poster's integrity. Post your own perspective and allow the discussion to progress on it's own.

Reactions: ScottSchrader

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
If Urban leaves Jacksonville after one season he would will be damaged goods. Do not see it happening

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
I agree that Donte is out of the running. But your original argument implied that you can't be a good head coach if you have never been a coordinator. Now you say that Cristobal is a good head coach because he is a great position coach. You cannot use the coordinator criteria to eliminate candidates. You just refuted your original argument.

Latest posts