Doty's return

capngamecock

Joined Apr 11, 2019
Jan 26, 2022
I wonder what the odds of him trying to switch to another position are. No way he starts at QB. Only injuries would make that happen. Joyner would be a better option at QB if we had a few injuries IMO. I think he has the size/speed to play receiver. Don't know how his route running is though. Played a few snaps at receiver as a freshman I think, right?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Yeah, I don't know what to think about Doty. On the one hand, he was never 100% this year, so I guess there's an argument that he will be better when he's 100%. But how much better can we expect? I agree he's not starting this year, unless Rattler is the biggest miss of all time.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
I wonder what the odds of him trying to switch to another position are. No way he starts at QB. Only injuries would make that happen. Joyner would be a better option at QB if we had a few injuries IMO. I think he has the size/speed to play receiver. Don't know how his route running is though. Played a few snaps at receiver as a freshman I think, right?
If the boy has football aspirations after college, he’d better learn slot receiver or add some bulk & learn strong safety.

RAtheOLcoach

Jan 20, 2022
He looks like a strong safety to me!

01Fatboy

Joined May 23, 2009
Jan 24, 2022
Yeah, I don't know what to think about Doty. On the one hand, he was never 100% this year, so I guess there's an argument that he will be better when he's 100%. But how much better can we expect? I agree he's not starting this year, unless Rattler is the biggest miss of all time.
just listening to the coaches , when healthy doty was by far the best qb we had last year. i think he will give rattler a challenge when healthy and will be a very good backup to him next year. no way we saw anywhere close to what he was capable of last year and no, to the other guy that thinks dak would do better. not even close, dak caught nc off guard and he actually played well in that game but he is no qb. damn proud of him for what he did that game and it was well deserved

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Is it just possible that Rattler needs to prove HIMSELF?

I guess the biggest question for Rattler is can he do it in the SEC. Even his down year last year was far better statistically than what we usually get at the QB position.

Jan 21, 2022

Does Brad Edwards ring a bell?

Section2Cock

Joined Feb 7, 1999
Jan 18, 2022
People have not given Luke a fair shake. He was thrown to the fire two seasons ago as a true freshman, then last year he played on a hurt foot. If you've ever injured a foot, look at how he tried to get out there on the field, then you know the guy has a warrior's heart. I can't wait to see him perform 100% healthy and yes, it may have to wait until Rattler heads off to the league after next season.

bleedgarnet33

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Feb 1, 2022
The Rattler having to prove himself talk is pretty ridiculous, the only reason he lost his job was because Williams behind him was an even higher ranked 5 star recruit with more mobility. Rattler is the most talent we have ever had at QB.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The Rattler having to prove himself talk is pretty ridiculous, the only reason he lost his job was because Williams behind him was an even higher ranked 5 star recruit with more mobility. Rattler is the most talent we have ever had at QB.

It's a good point. Rattler lost his job to the #6 overall recruit. Not all benching are equal.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
He did that his freshman year.
All I know is that his most recent experience is being benched. We've seen that here before, multiple times. And look at the last several years at the QB position at Georgia. Right now, Rattler has to establish himself.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
All I know is that his most recent experience is being benched. We've seen that here before, multiple times. And look at the last several years at the QB position at Georgia. Right now, Rattler has to establish himself.
When I look at what we have at QB, in my humble and non professional opinion, he is better. I'll go as far, just in my opinion, to say MUCH better. But who knows, right? And Georgia hasn't had a quarterback of his stature since Matt Stafford.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
When I look at what we have at QB, in my humble and non professional opinion, he is better. I'll go as far, just in my opinion, to say MUCH better. But who knows, right? And Georgia hasn't had a quarterback of his stature since Matt Stafford.
But they THOUGHT they did when they had Eason, Fromm, and Daniels. That's all I'm saying. I also expect Rattler to be The Man. But not so much that I'd bet the 🏠 on it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Rattler does have to establish himself, but the benching doesn't worry me so much. He got beat out by the #6 overall player in the country. It's not like he got beat out by a grad assistant-turned-starter.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Rattler does have to establish himself, but the benching doesn't worry me so much. He got beat out by the #6 overall player in the country. It's not like he got beat out by a grad assistant-turned-starter.
He didn't get "beat out", more like replaced during the Texas game to provide a spark and he certainly provided one and was rewarded. As the season went on Williams's play kinda went down a level. I think Rattler would have regained the starter role but that's just my opinion. Williams left with the coach that rewarded him. He should do well in the Pac12 as that league reminds me a lot of the Big12.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I agree and I'm not worried a bit about this. I'll let Beamer have all that worry.

And @18IsTheMan, just as a general observation certainly not directed at you, I think folks on message boards should accept that a person can hold opinions about things that are only of secondary importance to him/her. People get along better when everyone is cool with that.

Y'all will find that the only athletic things I'm really emotionally invested in are my golf game and what my grandson does as a long snapper. I'm sure folks understand what I mean.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I agree and I'm not worried a bit about this. I'll let Beamer have all that worry.

And @18IsTheMan, just as a general observation certainly not directed at you, I think folks on message boards should accept that a person can hold opinions about things that are only of secondary importance to him/her. People get along better when everyone is cool with that.

Y'all will find that the only athletic things I'm really emotionally invested in are my golf game and what my grandson does as a long snapper. I'm sure folks understand what I mean.
Yes, absolutely. All the things I discuss while I'm on here killing time at work, I don't give a second thought once I hop off the computer.

Dizzy01

Joined Dec 29, 2018
Jan 23, 2022
Doty needs time to work on being a QB. He’s had two years out of high school where he hasn’t really had the ability to work with a solid QB coach to improve. It may be best for him to work with Rattler this year and see how much he can improve his skill level.

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
Doty needs time to work on being a QB. He’s had two years out of high school where he hasn’t really had the ability to work with a solid QB coach to improve. It may be best for him to work with Rattler this year and see how much he can improve his skill level.
Tend to agree with you.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Then he shouldn't have any trouble winning the starting job in the spring.