Dowd pins Assad. Wow

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Dual finishes at 18-18. On criteria, Iowa wins, so it's 19-18, Iowa

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Cass wins barely. Iowa wins becasue of total points. Iowa 167-hwt suspect. Don’t know if Warner will wrestle 197 this Friday.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Didn’t wrestle today which I guess brands figured that they had the total points since he thought cass would win

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
Saw Assad get pinned. Gotta say that was an iffy/quick call that isn’t gonna be made in most matches. Still, good to see Iowa sweat the dual final result a little.

Reactions: Got GSPs and HBlion

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
Iowa beats Wisky 16-15 on a criteria point

Last edited by a moderator:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
No more of that criteria after Spencer Lee leaves. Iowa's strategy seems to be to watch paint dry.
I said it elsewhere and I’ll say it again. Iowa wrestles like it is 1980. Hand fighting, rubbing heads and push outs are their go to offense. Too bad none of that gets them any points. The Brands style of wrestling was left in the rear view mirror by the sport at least a decade ago and they haven’t even realized it yet.

Last edited:

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Folks were saying Cael is 6-5 against Iowa. That is true. But 3 of those losses were in his first 4 years building the program (1W-3L). Cael is 5-2 to vs Iowa in the last 10 years. We'll beat them next year too...unless they are mysteriously off our schedule. I think Cael's had it tougher vs Minnesota (3-4-1) to be honest...though PSU has won the last 3 in a row.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Folks were saying Cael is 6-5 against Iowa. That is true. But 3 of those losses were in his first 4 years building the program (1W-3L). Cael is 5-2 to vs Iowa in the last 10 years. We'll beat them next year too...unless they are mysteriously off our schedule. I think Cael's had it tougher vs Minnesota (3-4-1) to be honest...though PSU has won the last 3 in a row.
And if I’m not mistaken, that was the first time Iowa has come to Happy Valley in 5 years, right? The B1G schedulers strike again. Iowa gets a lot of home cookin.

Reactions: ptomaselli

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Here’s the other thing. Do they not do conditioning and lifting at Iowa any more? Iowa wrestlers were always chiseled muscular guys. Not now. They accuse PSU of using steroids on HR, but their own guys look soft and out of shape. They were giddy about the Kennedy win. They have been talking about this kid like he is the next great thing. Was anyone else impressed with him? He looked like he doesn’t work out and he had no offense. He was rubbing heads and hand fighting and pushing. He was content to win 2-1 in OT. Is that their goal? If it is, they are going to get left even further behind when Spencer leaves. They need to take a long introspective look within their own walls instead of making outlandish accusations about PSU.

Last edited:

Electric Lion

Nov 7, 2021
I said it elsewhere and I’ll say it again. Iowa wrestles like it is 1980. Hand fighting, rubbing heads and push outs are their go to offense. Too bad none of that gets them any points. The Brands style of wrestling was left in the rear view mirror by the sport at least a decade ago and they haven’t even realized it yet.
Couldn't agree more. Two whole takedowns in an entire match for an "elite" team like Iowa? That's just embarrassing, no other way to say it.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Couldn't agree more. Two whole takedowns in an entire match for an "elite" team like Iowa? That's just embarrassing, no other way to say it.
Their fans accuse PSU of stalling. 😳Seriously, you can’t make this **** up. They also said the ref was awful. It’s just mind boggling the amount of excuses they have. They are advocating for riding time to be abolished and push outs to get points like freestyle. PSU is beating them within the rules, so they want to change the rules. It’s actually kind of sad and satisfying all at the same time.

Reactions: oldpsubear

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Here’s the other thing. Do they not do conditioning and lifting at Iowa any more? Iowa wrestlers were always chiseled muscular guys. Not now. They accuse PSU of using steroids on HR, but their own guys look soft and out of shape. They were giddy about the Kennedy win. They have been talking about this kid like he is the next great thing. Was anyone else impressed with him? He looked like he doesn’t work out and he had no offense. He was rubbing heads and hand fighting and pushing. He was content to win 2-1 in OT. Is that their goal? If it is, they are going to get left even further behind when Spencer leaves. They need to take a long introspective look within their own walls instead of making outlandish accusations about PSU.
I thought their guys looked great physically and they pushed our guys around early in matches. As LB99 points out, their style is hand fighting and tying up. Boring.....but effective if the goal is to slow you down. It certainly seemed like some of our guys were perfectly happy to allow the Hawks to do this, at the cost of us moving and shooting. We stop moving our feet and play their game.....and lost.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
I thought their guys looked great physically and they pushed our guys around early in matches. As LB99 points out, their style is hand fighting and tying up. Boring.....but effective if the goal is to slow you down. It certainly seemed like some of our guys were perfectly happy to allow the Hawks to do this, at the cost of us moving and shooting. We stop moving our feet and play their game.....and lost.
...and lost? Yes, we had our young Frosh lose some tight matches. We won more of the tight ones (Kerk, Dean, CStar, Levi). My way of looking at it is that Cael coaches them to score points & bonus our way to victory. If PSU has to play the BS "slow the bout down & hope for a late TD" Iowa game PSU can do that too...and BETTER THAN IOWA. Cael's beaten them 5 of the last 7 times over the last 10 years. The couple of times over the last 10 years where we haven't met Iowa, we'd have been favored most of the time. Other than Spencer Lee, the Hawkeyes are the "watch the paint dry & bore the opponent to sleep" team. Seriously, Behr Paints should be a big Iowa sponsor. I'm sure Iowa will always be good...especially since Brands now has EZPass to PA. They won't be great though. I think their only chance for titles will be our 1 down year in 5...and that's only if Ohio State or Michigan doesn't pass them.

Spencer Lee was always destined to always be an all-time great. He'd have done in the PSAC everything he did at Iowa. He missed a golden opportunity to be the key to making Penn State a team for the ages that could have broken Iowa's single season NCAA tourney scoring mark.

Reactions: WV lion

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
They were definitely better getting out from the down position than we were. We need to get out from bottom faster. The opposite is true on top. We couldn’t keep them in the down position for very long. Dean and kerk were the exceptions but that is an area that needs major work.

Reactions: SRATH

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
...and lost? Yes, we had our young Frosh lose some tight matches. We won more of the tight ones (Kerk, Dean, CStar, Levi). My way of looking at it is that Cael coaches them to score points & bonus our way to victory. If PSU has to play the BS "slow the bout down & hope for a late TD" Iowa game PSU can do that too...and BETTER THAN IOWA. Cael's beaten them 5 of the last 7 times over the last 10 years. The couple of times over the last 10 years where we haven't met Iowa, we'd have been favored most of the time. Other than Spencer Lee, the Hawkeyes are the "watch the paint dry & bore the opponent to sleep" team. Seriously, Behr Paints should be a big Iowa sponsor. I'm sure Iowa will always be good...especially since Brands now has EZPass to PA. They won't be great though. I think their only chance for titles will be our 1 down year in 5...and that's only if Ohio State or Michigan doesn't pass them.

Spencer Lee was always destined to always be an all-time great. He'd have done in the PSAC everything he did at Iowa. He missed a golden opportunity to be the key to making Penn State a team for the ages that could have broken Iowa's single season NCAA tourney scoring mark.
I agree of the matches iowa won, they were favored in 3, both close matches were Bartlett and Van Ness were within a takedown until late. And I don't think Facundo has ever beat Kennedy and that went to OT. And Spencer was Spencer.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
"I think Cael's had it tougher vs Minnesota (3-4-1) to be honest...though PSU has won the last 3 in a row."
Watching the MN vs IL dual replay now (second or third MN meet I've watched. Man, MN is the boringest [new word] team!) Sheesh.
Hand fight, collar ties, push, block, spiral ride... The coaches are all behind this crap-style of wrestling and naturally the fans cheer when they win, but the is Not MN wrestling. This team/ style is the worst to cheer for. MN has a history of great wrestlers that any fan could cheer for. This team, not so much.