Erik Kimrey departing the Gamecock football program for another opportunity..

SC95

Joined Mar 31, 2008
Jan 31, 2022
Maybe it wasn't a dream job. A college coaching gig is exponentially more demanding of your time than a HS coaching gig. Recruiting is a 365-day grind. Could be that it just wasn't for him.

It's one guy leaving from the offensive staff, and just the TE coach at that. There is hardly reason to panic here. If it wasn't for the fact that it's Kimrey, this wouldn't even be news. If a couple more guys leave, then I'll worry.
Panic is what some Gamecock fans do best.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan
Jan 21, 2022
If Satterfield was the reason for Shaw and Kimrey leaving, Beamer wasn't goin to tell anyway

Just STOP IT!!! These FUD rumors are not doing the program any good when we are on a roll... Either you are a new born Gamecock fan or maybe a fan of another school...

Shaw hasn't been happy anywhere coaching and trying to find his life and coaching at Furman and Carolina isn't what he is looking at.

As far as Kimrey, he is looking to get back into coaching in the high school level and if he is going to coach HS school in Tennessee, then that might open a pipeline from Tennessee to Columbia, SC on some kids who wouldn't take a look at us...

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Until we hear otherwise, all we can reasonably assume is that Kimrey realized college coaching wasn't suited to him and his family. He coached high school for 17 years, came to college coaching for 1 year and then moved back to high school. Seems obvious to me. He absolutely could have found a job somewhere else in college if he wanted one. Maybe not P5, but he could have landed a college gig somewhere. The fact that he's going back to high school tells me that's where his passion is, which is fine. If he's very good at and he enjoys it, then great for him.

Reactions: DarkCock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Just STOP IT!!! These FUD rumors are not doing the program any good when we are on a roll... Either you are a new born Gamecock fan or maybe a fan of another school...

Shaw hasn't been happy anywhere coaching and trying to find his life and coaching at Furman and Carolina isn't what he is looking at.

As far as Kimrey, he is looking to get back into coaching in the high school level and if he is going to coach HS school in Tennessee, then that might open a pipeline from Tennessee to Columbia, SC on some kids who wouldn't take a look at us...
Kimrey is also rejoining his former boss, so...

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The most interesting thing I've learned from this story is that Erik's wife's name is Erica. Erik and Erica. Cutesy.

Neanderthal

Jan 25, 2022
Kimrey likes to be in charge. I hope he goes well with those rich parentsā€™ expectations for their kids.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
I read in the news about Conner Shaw changing jobs all the time. So not shocked at that one. Nothing wrong with not knowing what you wanna be when you grow up.

i expected Kimrey to stick around a little longer though. The guy has probably been browsing high school jobs for months.

Last edited:

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 ā€¢ Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
I got the head coaching job for Kimrey but I guess the opportunity for Connor Shaw may not be made public for a while.

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
Kimrey leaving dream job for a high school job, something aint right
He's going to a very prestigious private school. Chattanooga has a lot to offer. Just wonder if the job here put more strain on him being away from family than he liked?
I walked away from job earning more money than I ever earned. Had stock options, the works. Why? My son told me I was never there for him. True story & thank God every day for the strength to do so.
Wish nothing but the best for Coach Kimrey.

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
Looks like a lot of the talk about Satterfield and the rest of the staff has some truth to it.

I hope that Shane is not losing good hardworking coaches for refusing to let Satterfield go. If Stepp leaves, I'm convinced there is a serious issue... as these guys were all mentioned as not wanting to work with Satterfield anymore.
I hope that doesn't happen but it is a fear.