Expectation Moving Forward

poundth3rock

Junior
Jul 20, 2007
2,186
365
83
I continue to believe this team is so fundementally different from coaching and QB that might as well have a new coach and nothing that is occured the last 10 years is relevant to predicting outcomes for future results this year.

Colandrea >> Raiola (in a Holgerson offense with imperfect oline)
Jeepe >>>>> Donnie (Traded the worst Oline Coach in FCS for a good FCS line coach)

The combination of the getting a QB that provides a true dual threat and having a competent oline coach is game changer on that side than cannot be overstated. Additionally, Colandrea has been much better at protecting the football in this offense than he was in past increasing his likelyhood of winning games.

Aurich >>>>>>>>>> Butler

Butler was completely in over his head and running that stupid 3 man front with Juedy seemingly daring teams to run it down our throat. Was semi effective until Penn State took us up on the offer and other power running teams followed suite with Butler making no adjustments. Aurich has us in a much better scheme for talent, seems to develop guys as defense meshing much better and has guys playing much fastser and with greater physicality. Additionally I love the 3rd down package with Nwareni at end and Merrit/D Jones/or a corner like oden blitzing. Such a huge upgrade from Butler. How that hire was ever made last year is beyond me and effecitely eliminated any chance for break out in year 3.

Short of it is Rhule simply made some terrible hires early on picking guys that were not Big Ten level coaches and in some cases not FCS coaches with most offensive of those hires listed.

Satterfield as OC
Foley as Special Teams Coach
Butler as DC

Additionally we touched upon retaining the worst oline coach in FCS football to get a highly ranked legacy QB that was not a great fit and was not mobile. That was a double whammy that made us soft upfront on offense and lended itself to calling a soft game plane for QB strengths. Kong likes to troll, but was 100% right that this was a soft a$$ team last year.

I think we have addressesd most of the staff issues ands now have a competitive Big Ten coaching staff with a potential high end DC if Aurich develops the way I think he will.

Base on all that I am drinnking Kool-aid and ignorning the negative for now (there are some). My updated my season predictions

8-4 or 9-3

This is aligned with current ESPN FPI projecting 8.8 wins and 14 best team in country. Model expected roughly 10 point win against MSU on nuetral field and game played out that way. Following is order of projected outcomes, best to worst from current FPI

Maryland, Rutgers, Washington, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Oregon, OSU

On nuetral field model has us favored (average outcome) in every game through Iowa where we are slight favorites or basically pick em. It has us as roughly 5-8 point dogs against Indiana/Oregon and predicts OSU would win by double digits. Interestingly this model would expect 6-10 point losses (location based) to both Oregon and Indiana so those will be interesting games to see if we have truly made that much progess in ability to compete against good teams. For the gamblers, the current Oregon line is vastly disconnected from predictive models at 23.5. Oregon is fully capable of beating most teams by that margin at Autzen but still interesting enough to think about for gamblers.

Looking at eyeball test, I believe the team is aligned to being a 8-9 win team with this schedule assuming 4-5 guys (including Rhule/Colandrea) stay healthy and team improves some like they should. While this may trigger some folks that are fans of other teams or hate Matt Rhule, model does give us a 25% chance to make playoffs which was much higher than I expect or truly believe is accurate. At that percentage, it is assuming there are 9-3 scenarios where Nebraska gets in as model only predicts 8 teams winning more than 10 games.

FPI High Level Nuggets
Win Total - 8.8
Playoff % - 25%
Likelyhood of losing to both Indiana and Oregon - 48%
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,083
14,621
78
I continue to believe this team is so fundementally different from coaching and QB that might as well have a new coach and nothing that is occured the last 10 years is relevant to predicting outcomes for future results this year.

Colandrea >> Raiola (in a Holgerson offense with imperfect oline)
Jeepe >>>>> Donnie (Traded the worst Oline Coach in FCS for a good FCS line coach)

The combination of the getting a QB that provides a true dual threat and having a competent oline coach is game changer on that side than cannot be overstated. Additionally, Colandrea has been much better at protecting the football in this offense than he was in past increasing his likelyhood of winning games.

Aurich >>>>>>>>>> Butler

Butler was completely in over his head and running that stupid 3 man front with Juedy seemingly daring teams to run it down our throat. Was semi effective until Penn State took us up on the offer and other power running teams followed suite with Butler making no adjustments. Aurich has us in a much better scheme for talent, seems to develop guys as defense meshing much better and has guys playing much fastser and with greater physicality. Additionally I love the 3rd down package with Nwareni at end and Merrit/D Jones/or a corner like oden blitzing. Such a huge upgrade from Butler. How that hire was ever made last year is beyond me and effecitely eliminated any chance for break out in year 3.

Short of it is Rhule simply made some terrible hires early on picking guys that were not Big Ten level coaches and in some cases not FCS coaches with most offensive of those hires listed.

Satterfield as OC
Foley as Special Teams Coach
Butler as DC

Additionally we touched upon retaining the worst oline coach in FCS football to get a highly ranked legacy QB that was not a great fit and was not mobile. That was a double whammy that made us soft upfront on offense and lended itself to calling a soft game plane for QB strengths. Kong likes to troll, but was 100% right that this was a soft a$$ team last year.

I think we have addressesd most of the staff issues ands now have a competitive Big Ten coaching staff with a potential high end DC if Aurich develops the way I think he will.

Base on all that I am drinnking Kool-aid and ignorning the negative for now (there are some). My updated my season predictions

8-4 or 9-3

This is aligned with current ESPN FPI projecting 8.8 wins and 14 best team in country. Model expected roughly 10 point win against MSU on nuetral field and game played out that way. Following is order of projected outcomes, best to worst from current FPI

Maryland, Rutgers, Washington, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Oregon, OSU

On nuetral field model has us favored (average outcome) in every game through Iowa where we are slight favorites or basically pick em. It has us as roughly 5-8 point dogs against Indiana/Oregon and predicts OSU would win by double digits. Interestingly this model would expect 6-10 point losses (location based) to both Oregon and Indiana so those will be interesting games to see if we have truly made that much progess in ability to compete against good teams. For the gamblers, the current Oregon line is vastly disconnected from predictive models at 23.5. Oregon is fully capable of beating most teams by that margin at Autzen but still interesting enough to think about for gamblers.

Looking at eyeball test, I believe the team is aligned to being a 8-9 win team with this schedule assuming 4-5 guys (including Rhule/Colandrea) stay healthy and team improves some like they should. While this may trigger some folks that are fans of other teams or hate Matt Rhule, model does give us a 25% chance to make playoffs which was much higher than I expect or truly believe is accurate. At that percentage, it is assuming there are 9-3 scenarios where Nebraska gets in as model only predicts 8 teams winning more than 10 games.

FPI High Level Nuggets
Win Total - 8.8
Playoff % - 25%
Likelyhood of losing to both Indiana and Oregon - 48%
Nothing has changed in my eyes other than a 5 win season has been taken out of the equation. Still a 6-9 win season is within the bell curve. Maybe you add 10 wins to the upside but I doubt it.
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,311
4,990
91
Rule gives the running game the ability to get what it needs, and often more than it wanted. I hope he just got a little gimped and they put him on ice for the game. Looked like he was standing on a the sidelines as the game was winding down.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kakdawg

NikkiSixx

All-Conference
May 31, 2022
1,105
1,074
113
the one thing we know for certain, is Rhule is still a terrible game day coach..

I think our special teams is very sub par, and this is Rhules fault directly for not hiring a proven special teams coordinator. I'm still baffled why this clown thought he could get by with grad assistants.

I also think the running back room is suffering badly without Rule, and this is again directly Rhules fault for not going into the portal and getting us another quality back (before the penn state transfer loser).

I think we are still going to the playoffs, but I hate most of the coaching staff top to bottom including the clown running the program and the AD.

They would be smart to keep Rule out of the lineup next week so he can maybe play against Indiana. Without him, I don't like our odds of winning that game.

Nebraska needs to make a jump in the polls.. we are listed in the others receiving votes, but I feel we should already be in the 20 something area.
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,083
14,621
78
the one thing we know for certain, is Rhule is still a terrible game day coach..

I think our special teams is very sub par, and this is Rhules fault directly for not hiring a proven special teams coordinator. I'm still baffled why this clown thought he could get by with grad assistants.

I also think the running back room is suffering badly without Rule, and this is again directly Rhules fault for not going into the portal and getting us another quality back (before the penn state transfer loser).

I think we are still going to the playoffs, but I hate most of the coaching staff top to bottom including the clown running the program and the AD.

They would be smart to keep Rule out of the lineup next week so he can maybe play against Indiana. Without him, I don't like our odds of winning that game.

Nebraska needs to make a jump in the polls.. we are listed in the others receiving votes, but I feel we should already be in the 20 something area.
Nelson is pretty darned good. Mozee is a change up. Genatone is a reasonable #4. I think they knew what they had with Rule and we only had so many dollars in NIL to spend. They went O line.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RBigredMax1

NikkiSixx

All-Conference
May 31, 2022
1,105
1,074
113
Nelson is pretty darned good. Mozee is a change up. Genatone is a reasonable #4. I think they knew what they had with Rule and we only had so many dollars in NIL to spend. They went O line.
the nil limitations are probably true, and I'm good with the line and Geep so far.. same with Aurich, seems solid so far.

I disagee with Nelson, although he has had a couple of good games back to back, but he is still, no matter how you cut it, a wide out playing running back.. he is not on the tier needed to have reliable rb success, and Mozee shouldn't be in the room. We legit needed 3 actual running backs, not 1 rb with 2 wide outs in that room and it showed big time last night.

I liked how Genatone ran and scored.. I'd be okay if he got more touches.. have very little tape or idea on him if he can become a go to guy or not.. last night he certainly was.
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,311
4,990
91
Nelson is pretty darned good. Mozee is a change up. Genatone is a reasonable #4. I think they knew what they had with Rule and we only had so many dollars in NIL to spend. They went O line.
Between Rule and Nelson, the RB spot is B1G ready. Mozee can produce if the blocking is there. They brought in the kid from PSU, but I’m sure he saw the writing on the wall. Genatone is a program veteran and has good athleticism for his size. There were times when NU had four backs that could start for most teams. I’d say along with Ives, NU has five guys that can at least produce in league play. That’s a luxury and it’s reflective of the level of coaching at that psn.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Kakdawg

Redscarlet

Heisman
Jun 17, 2001
34,518
12,571
113
Illinois looks to me better than I expected and Washington not the rated team everyone thought they’d be.

Losing in Seattle to the gophers isn’t a good look for them.
 

Hugo_Stiglitz7

All-Conference
Jun 7, 2017
1,969
1,039
113
I had 5-7 coming in.

I think around 7 now. Coming into the season, I had Sharty as a loss. Getting that first conf road win should help with confidence and momentum.

I thought Washington was an L, but they are looking pretty weak. Had Maryland and Rutgers as wins.

Indiana looks vulnerable, but until this team can win some games "they aren't supposed to", I'm not drinking the Rhule-Aid. I don't think a road win vs. Oregon is in the cards, either. Hell, they still aren't consistent with "winnable games".

The November schedule still worries me. Illinois may not be as good as recent past, but Burnt Enema has had our number. A Friday night game at Champaign to kick off that gauntlet of a month will really be the key. Survive that and they may have a chance in Iowa Schitty.
🌽
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pennsyhuskers

Pennsyhuskers

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2022
895
2,591
93
Dang man. 5-7? Unimaginable. Well wait. Maybe if both AC and TJL get injured.
We have beaten 3 cupcakes followed by one of the B1G bottom feeders. And even in those games both our defense and our offense are inconsistent. In every game our offense in particular lays a turd for a half or a full quarter. We will lose to Indiana, Oregon, Ohio State and Iowa. That puts us at 5-4. The key to our season will be beating Illinois, Washington and Rutgers. I think we have a good chance of beating Rutgers. But I think we lose to Illinois and Washington.
Sorry. I still don’t think we are as good as our 4-0 record would seem to indicate.
 

poundth3rock

Junior
Jul 20, 2007
2,186
365
83
I still think this is a 6-6 or 5-7 team. We will beat Maryland most likely. After that, every game is a problem. Even Rutgers

Based on models, likelyhood of 5 or few is under 10% and 7 under 30%.

Still reasonably possible but would require a couple of assumptions

1. Colandrea misses significant time (Mobile QB so possible)
2. Nebraska losses all close games (Matt Rhule effect, possible)
3. Nebraska is simply much worse than currently predicted by these efficiency models (100% possible) relative to teams like Rutger, Washington and Maryland which modles predict 10+ point spreads on nuetral field

Future games will tell us but any who thinks 5 is currently possible without injury if completely ignoring what Aurich and Colandrea are doing.

Nebraska held MSU to 1.2 yards per carry which was less than Notre Dame. Defensively we gave up an extra yard per pass but weather conditions were bad in Notredame game, impacting passing game. This Aurich coached defense is not going to have games against physical but average teams like MSU or Minnesota last year where we just got just get bludgeoned on ground. Aurich has eliminated that possibility with scheme, development and finding competitive upper class players llike whittington (very impressive so far) and stoudimire plugging in around developing second team guys. Second team line of Nwaneri, Poppel, Terry and Petz is vastly more stout against run this year than last years starting group and contain some reasonably highly highly thought of recruits including a 5 star, 4 star and two higher end three stars all in atleast second year.

Lastly Colandrea is the x factor. When we get into late game situations in loseable games they will take the kid gloves off Colandrea and offense will 1/4 to 1/3rd quarter back scramble and run with Colandrea becoming much more aggresive in those scenarios and able to break down well defended plays. While this will likely be highly effective you can only utilizes it when absolutely necessary if you want guy playing 12 games. Second we get into 4th in a loseable game you will see play call lean heavily into his strenths.

I guess if Nebraska ends up 6-6 I would not be shocked based on last 10 years but solely based on what i am seeing this year I don't expect anything less than 7.
 

Pennsyhuskers

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2022
895
2,591
93
Based on models, likelyhood of 5 or few is under 10% and 7 under 30%.

Still reasonably possible but would require a couple of assumptions

1. Colandrea misses significant time (Mobile QB so possible)
2. Nebraska losses all close games (Matt Rhule effect, possible)
3. Nebraska is simply much worse than currently predicted by these efficiency models (100% possible) relative to teams like Rutger, Washington and Maryland which modles predict 10+ point spreads on nuetral field

Future games will tell us but any who thinks 5 is currently possible without injury if completely ignoring what Aurich and Colandrea are doing.

Nebraska held MSU to 1.2 yards per carry which was less than Notre Dame. Defensively we gave up an extra yard per pass but weather conditions were bad in Notredame game, impacting passing game. This Aurich coached defense is not going to have games against physical but average teams like MSU or Minnesota last year where we just got just get bludgeoned on ground. Aurich has eliminated that possibility with scheme, development and finding competitive upper class players llike whittington (very impressive so far) and stoudimire plugging in around developing second team guys. Second team line of Nwaneri, Poppel, Terry and Petz is vastly more stout against run this year than last years starting group and contain some reasonably highly highly thought of recruits including a 5 star, 4 star and two higher end three stars all in atleast second year.

Lastly Colandrea is the x factor. When we get into late game situations in loseable games they will take the kid gloves off Colandrea and offense will 1/4 to 1/3rd quarter back scramble and run with Colandrea becoming much more aggresive in those scenarios and able to break down well defended plays. While this will likely be highly effective you can only utilizes it when absolutely necessary if you want guy playing 12 games. Second we get into 4th in a loseable game you will see play call lean heavily into his strenths.

I guess if Nebraska ends up 6-6 I would not be shocked based on last 10 years but solely based on what i am seeing this year I don't expect anything less than 7.
Hope you are right. But I don’t think you are. You are neglecting human psychology. Once we lose 3 in a row to Indiana, Oregon and Illinois, the player psychology goes into the tank, fan negativity reaches a fever pitch, and then the wheels fall off. I see another 5-0 start followed by a collapse.
I prefer your scenario!! I just don’t see it happening.
 

Redscarlet

Heisman
Jun 17, 2001
34,518
12,571
113
Hope you are right. But I don’t think you are. You are neglecting human psychology. Once we lose 3 in a row to Indiana, Oregon and Illinois, the player psychology goes into the tank, fan negativity reaches a fever pitch, and then the wheels fall off. I see another 5-0 start followed by a collapse.
I prefer your scenario!! I just don’t see it happening.
How do we lose three in row to Indiana, Oregon and Illinois when we play Washington after a week against Oregon.
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,311
4,990
91
Defense
7 guys played 18 or more snaps. Whittington had the highest grade. Chambliss, V9 and Foster took all but 11 snaps, V9 graded highest. 7 DBs took 19 or more snaps and Marshall had the highest grade.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dinglefritz

Pennsyhuskers

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2022
895
2,591
93
Our offensive line play is still subpar. Our running game against MSU was a total disgrace. And our vaunted receivers could not get open against a JV level secondary riddled with injuries. Other than 2 or 3 plays we had zero vertical passing game. And what the hell happened to Kwinten Ives? He is on a milk carton. Add to these things the fact that Colandrea was under pressure far too often.
I am sorry, but this team looks very vulnerable and fragile to me.
 

Pennsyhuskers

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2022
895
2,591
93
How do we lose three in row to Indiana, Oregon and Illinois when we play Washington after a week against Oregon.
Oops. Make that 4 in a row. I forgot Washington was before Illinois. Washington isn’t that good. But neither are we. I think we lose that game.
 

Thortulz

Freshman
Jan 6, 2008
225
99
23
I can see the Defense keeping the team in every game with the possible exception being Ohio St.

With that being said, the offense should be able to pull out 3 or 4 of the one score games I expect so 8 - 9 wins is definitely in the realm of possibility.

If the Defense really matures into a force by the 8th game then a 10 win season is what we all should be seeing.
 

ckriley

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2007
85,241
4,175
67
Well, my prediction of 4-8 or even 3-9 was (thankfully) way wrong.

It’s a combination of the team being better than I thought, and the schedule being softer than it first appeared. (That’s why they play the games!)

Having said that, they could still go 5-7 or 6-6. Rhule is still the head coach, and the remaining schedule is still going to be difficult.

Based on what I’ve seen, they will lose to Oregon, Ohio State and Iowa. All of the other games, including Indiana, are winnable. I’m not saying they will win those games. Just that they could go either way.

But Michigan State was gashing this defense on the ground for large chunks of the game, and that’s a concern.

And the three teams I mentioned as losses all run the ball and just have a lot more talent than Nebraska.

Iowa maybe has equal talent but way better coaching and an elite defense.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pennsyhuskers

TheHiker

Sophomore
Jul 7, 2025
143
188
43
the one thing we know for certain, is Rhule is still a terrible game day coach..

I think our special teams is very sub par, and this is Rhules fault directly for not hiring a proven special teams coordinator. I'm still baffled why this clown thought he could get by with grad assistants.

I also think the running back room is suffering badly without Rule, and this is again directly Rhules fault for not going into the portal and getting us another quality back (before the penn state transfer loser).

I think we are still going to the playoffs, but I hate most of the coaching staff top to bottom including the clown running the program and the AD.

They would be smart to keep Rule out of the lineup next week so he can maybe play against Indiana. Without him, I don't like our odds of winning that game.

Nebraska needs to make a jump in the polls.. we are listed in the others receiving votes, but I feel we should already be in the 20 something area.
Agree on the running backs. The one positive is the use of Genatone. In years past we wouldn’t go to a bigger walk on back like him and keep throwing Moze and Nelson out there to run between the tackles. A guy like Genatone won’t break a big one but is what you need in the Big 10 and really helps keep the offensive playbook open and allow you to grind out drives.

If Rule is out additional time I hope they keep putting him in there as a change of pace. We’ve seen a number of Big 10 teams be quite successful with guys like him toting the rock.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NikkiSixx

orclover11

All-Conference
Dec 1, 2014
1,793
1,296
113
I continue to believe this team is so fundementally different from coaching and QB that might as well have a new coach and nothing that is occured the last 10 years is relevant to predicting outcomes for future results this year.

Colandrea >> Raiola (in a Holgerson offense with imperfect oline)
Jeepe >>>>> Donnie (Traded the worst Oline Coach in FCS for a good FCS line coach)

The combination of the getting a QB that provides a true dual threat and having a competent oline coach is game changer on that side than cannot be overstated. Additionally, Colandrea has been much better at protecting the football in this offense than he was in past increasing his likelyhood of winning games.

Aurich >>>>>>>>>> Butler

Butler was completely in over his head and running that stupid 3 man front with Juedy seemingly daring teams to run it down our throat. Was semi effective until Penn State took us up on the offer and other power running teams followed suite with Butler making no adjustments. Aurich has us in a much better scheme for talent, seems to develop guys as defense meshing much better and has guys playing much fastser and with greater physicality. Additionally I love the 3rd down package with Nwareni at end and Merrit/D Jones/or a corner like oden blitzing. Such a huge upgrade from Butler. How that hire was ever made last year is beyond me and effecitely eliminated any chance for break out in year 3.

Short of it is Rhule simply made some terrible hires early on picking guys that were not Big Ten level coaches and in some cases not FCS coaches with most offensive of those hires listed.

Satterfield as OC
Foley as Special Teams Coach
Butler as DC

Additionally we touched upon retaining the worst oline coach in FCS football to get a highly ranked legacy QB that was not a great fit and was not mobile. That was a double whammy that made us soft upfront on offense and lended itself to calling a soft game plane for QB strengths. Kong likes to troll, but was 100% right that this was a soft a$$ team last year.

I think we have addressesd most of the staff issues ands now have a competitive Big Ten coaching staff with a potential high end DC if Aurich develops the way I think he will.

Base on all that I am drinnking Kool-aid and ignorning the negative for now (there are some). My updated my season predictions

8-4 or 9-3

This is aligned with current ESPN FPI projecting 8.8 wins and 14 best team in country. Model expected roughly 10 point win against MSU on nuetral field and game played out that way. Following is order of projected outcomes, best to worst from current FPI

Maryland, Rutgers, Washington, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Oregon, OSU

On nuetral field model has us favored (average outcome) in every game through Iowa where we are slight favorites or basically pick em. It has us as roughly 5-8 point dogs against Indiana/Oregon and predicts OSU would win by double digits. Interestingly this model would expect 6-10 point losses (location based) to both Oregon and Indiana so those will be interesting games to see if we have truly made that much progess in ability to compete against good teams. For the gamblers, the current Oregon line is vastly disconnected from predictive models at 23.5. Oregon is fully capable of beating most teams by that margin at Autzen but still interesting enough to think about for gamblers.

Looking at eyeball test, I believe the team is aligned to being a 8-9 win team with this schedule assuming 4-5 guys (including Rhule/Colandrea) stay healthy and team improves some like they should. While this may trigger some folks that are fans of other teams or hate Matt Rhule, model does give us a 25% chance to make playoffs which was much higher than I expect or truly believe is accurate. At that percentage, it is assuming there are 9-3 scenarios where Nebraska gets in as model only predicts 8 teams winning more than 10 games.

FPI High Level Nuggets
Win Total - 8.8
Playoff % - 25%
Likelyhood of losing to both Indiana and Oregon - 48%
I don't think the model takes into account the wear and tear of playing a team like Indiana followed by traveling across the country and playing in a tough environment. The mere idea of beating a physical, well-coached top 5 team in Indiana...especially in a close game where special teams is important seems farcical. But then having to follow up what is likely a close/emotional loss with playing in Autzen 1500 miles away is brutal. The likelyhood of losing both games is near 100%. The season will be decided how we bounce back. Rhule won't keep his headset off the entire season and he is still the coach and still 1 and infinite against top 25 teams.
 

Pennsyhuskers

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2022
895
2,591
93
He’s been grumpy all summer too.

He doesn’t think Rhule is going to do anything. We all have our reasons why he isn’t going to be the answer but picking losing 4 in a row is a bit of a stretch.
A bit of a stretch???? Where were you for the last half of last year? And … the year before …. and the year before? Geez. We beat four crappy teams to start this year and suddenly it is a “stretch” to imagine us losing four in a row. Indiana, Oregon, Washington and Illinois are all decent teams with talent. Rhule’s track record against teams like that is not good.
The “stretch” is thinking this year is different based on nothing but offseason hype and beating four awful teams.
Could we end up going 11-1 or 10-2? Sure we could. But our track record under Rhule has not given me hope that such a season is on the way.
 

poundth3rock

Junior
Jul 20, 2007
2,186
365
83
Apparently your model doesn't take into account that MSU had their starting running back for ND and not for us (among several other positions)? That fact alone makes me very skeptical of your model.
There starting RB is not that good.

He averaged 3.6 against Toledo and 3.2 against Notre Dame. In Notre Dame game backups averaged same YPT as he did. It would have hardly made any difference in stat our outcome.

Now losing your 10 YPT back after 4 carries could be considered impactful.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dinglefritz

Pennsyhuskers

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2022
895
2,591
93
Why are you here?
I am a husker fan, same as you. I grew up in Lincoln and have followed Husker football since 1965. At one time in the 80’s I was a season ticket holder. Sold pop in the stands as a kid. Was at the game of the century in Norman with my dad. Orange bowl in 95. Fiesta Bowl the next year.
I am every bit the Husker fan you are. Rabid fan actually. I have zero need to apologize for one damn thing. And it is because I grew up and watched our record setting run from 1962-2001 that I am harshly critical of the clown show bullsh$t this program has become. And it is a clown show. Rhule is a smarmy snake oil salesman who deliberately manipulated Daneen last year to milk NU out of $millions even as his team layed turd after turd on the field.
And that is why I am not drinking any damn koolaid. I have high standards for NU football and the product Rhule has produced is a joke. I am critical of the current staff precisely because I am a fan with a fricking memory.
So piss off
 

K Rod

Senior
Oct 1, 2025
443
660
93
My impression, right or wrong, was that the O line had issues. We did pass block pretty well but run blocking was lacking. I was at 6-6 to 8-4 and still think that range might be where things land. One thing that is different, and much better this year is depth. And we are subbing guys in, especially on defense, pretty often. That bodes well for the back half of the schedule. Our depth may be the one strength that helps us pull out that 8th win. Our back 7 on defense is as good as there is in the country.
 

poundth3rock

Junior
Jul 20, 2007
2,186
365
83
I don't think the model takes into account the wear and tear of playing a team like Indiana followed by traveling across the country and playing in a tough environment. The mere idea of beating a physical, well-coached top 5 team in Indiana...especially in a close game where special teams is important seems farcical. But then having to follow up what is likely a close/emotional loss with playing in Autzen 1500 miles away is brutal. The likelyhood of losing both games is near 100%. The season will be decided how we bounce back. Rhule won't keep his headset off the entire season and he is still the coach and still 1 and infinite against top 25 teams.

Don't necessarily disagree with anything you said.
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,311
4,990
91
I am a husker fan, same as you. I grew up in Lincoln and have followed Husker football since 1965. At one time in the 80’s I was a season ticket holder. Sold pop in the stands as a kid. Was at the game of the century in Norman with my dad. Orange bowl in 95. Fiesta Bowl the next year.
I am every bit the Husker fan you are. Rabid fan actually. I have zero need to apologize for one damn thing. And it is because I grew up and watched our record setting run from 1962-2001 that I am harshly critical of the clown show bullsh$t this program has become. And it is a clown show. Rhule is a smarmy snake oil salesman who deliberately manipulated Daneen last year to milk NU out of $millions even as his team layed turd after turd on the field.
And that is why I am not drinking any damn koolaid. I have high standards for NU football and the product Rhule has produced is a joke. I am critical of the current staff precisely because I am a fan with a fricking memory.
So piss off
Something Gary Sharp said (I think it was him) this morning. Was some coaches make programs better than they should be. Devaney and Osborne did that. Bobby Bowden did that at FSU. Cignetti is currently doing it at Indiana.
The program was 4-8 the year before Rhule took over and a couple of those four wins were a struggle. The team was 3-9 the year before. Of course the strength of the roster had to reflect that performance. The coaching staff that came after that was imperfect but managed to improve the roster and the teams performance. I think the present staff is the best of Rhule’s tenure and I think the players are going to be able to play to their capabilities and we may find that some of them are outstanding players. Chambliss and Colandrea are playing really well.
The team has the potential to be on the level of one of the Pelini teams.
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,083
14,621
78
Suprised on this one and concerned. Guy walking around on sideline like that typically don't need an MRI after game.
I walked around on a destroyed meniscus for several days before I had an MRI. Had most of it removed. You don’t slow play knees. MRIs are almost routine for many P4 players experiencing an injury now. They have a bunch of money invested in these kids.
 
Inside Nebraska

Latest

  1. 01 Inside Nebraska Football Rhule: Colandrea sliding, sharp words for Nwaneri & Jones, plus an early eval on Huskers’ transfer class
  2. 02 Inside Nebraska Football Here’s what Nebraska coach Matt Rhule said about Dylan Raiola performance in Oregon’s win over USC
  3. 03 Inside Nebraska Football Injury updates for Jamal Rule & Jacory Barney? Not yet, says Matt Rhule, and he explains why
  4. 04 Inside Nebraska Football Nebraska-Indiana kickoff time, TV info announced
  5. 05 Inside Nebraska Football Nebraska HC Matt Rhule previews Maryland at game week press conference