If you define meaningful as more than 7 minutes per game on average, and consider the fact that McCabe was only available for 9 games, only 7 players played meaningful minutes in conference play last year.Kyle's article makes is sound like MAYBE 8 to 9 players (more likely 8) will see meaningful playing time.
I hope Jan plans to make her team the best conditioned team in the NCAA. And healthiest. We cannot afford even one injury all season long.
I'm expecting we see double digit minutes from Jocelyn. Our permitter players are good defenders but they are short. Several teams in the Big have taller wing players. I would expect they will try to exploit the mismatch. Jocelyn has good height and length if her offense develops she will be quite an asset.What choices did Jan have? Throw most of our money at one of the best portal players available or split it amongst 2 or 3 significantly more risky options and hope that one of them greatly exceeds expectations? Don't take offense as this isn't a criticism, but no one, including all us geniuses on this board, know how any portal addition is going to actually contribute. The coaching staff is agonizing over these decisions 24/7 every day of the year with way more info than we have so I'm happy to defer to their call. IMHO I feel Dani and Amari will perform as expected and Jocelyn could become an X factor much like Journey was last season. I don't expect us to exceed last year's win total but I think we'll be more of a threat by the time March Madness rolls around.
His article listed 9.Kyle's article makes is sound like MAYBE 8 to 9 players (more likely 8) will see meaningful playing time.
I hope Jan plans to make her team the best conditioned team in the NCAA. And healthiest. We cannot afford even one injury all season long.
I assume he is implying that Jan did not fill out the full 15 roster size allowed with only 11. Another effect of the NIL era. I think we will be fine with the above nine plus Stromdahl and Medina. How many teams can go that deep.His article listed 9.
1. Chit Chat
2. Dani
3. Amari
4. Journey OR McKenna
5. Ava
Off the Bench:
Taylor
Layla
Jocelyn
It's implied that whoever doesn't start at the 4 will also be coming off the bench.
You can throw Strem in with that group of 3 starting guards as she will likely be averaging 25+ along with the other 3 you mentioned. I'd expect Faison and Medina to pick up the balance averaging maybe 12 and 5 respectively?His article listed 9.
1. Chit Chat
2. Dani
3. Amari
4. Journey OR McKenna
5. Ava
Off the Bench:
Taylor
Layla
Jocelyn
It's implied that whoever doesn't start at the 4 will also be coming off the bench.
The roster is fine. UCLA rode 8 players to the championship last year with no one else playing more than 8 minutes.Please tell this is not true. I either missed Kyle's article or don't have access to it.
Going down the roster and picking out the top 8, It's obvious Hays has to come in for Heiden. Six are proven to be on a sollege court. I don't see sitting McW. Meaning Faison, Stromdahl and Medina are the last 3 in of 11 players. I had higher expectations that Faison would get more serviceable mins. Maybe she will but that seems to be more of quesion mark than a given now.
Playing players too many mins can lead to injury. Heck burnout could be a reason for the late season falters playing such a short list. This team can not afford one lengthy or season ending injury like McCabe to the top 8.
This even adds to why I believe our NIL is not as strong as I thought before this portal season. You are betting on too many things to go all in your favor in 30+ games a season. The brutal B1G doesn't help either. Think Jan is going to need more time in her prayer closet this season rolling the dice like this.
On3
Under the Lights: 5-star prospects battle it out in Oklahoma
Hawkeye Report Football
The Chuck Long Podcast
College Football Playoff
College Football Bowl Projections Week 5: Full list of matchups, playoff predictions
Hawkeye Report Olympics
Iowa Field Hockey comes from behind, defeats Ohio State in a non-conference meeting
Hawkeye Report Football
Ten Thoughts on Iowa Football