FC: Franklin after a decade…

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Isn’t Giger the guy that asked the question to Franklin about “just chucking it deep?”? I haven’t really been a fan of his since he tried to capitalize his notoriety during the scandal.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Isn’t Giger the guy that asked the question to Franklin about “just chucking it deep?”? I haven’t really been a fan of his since he tried to capitalize his notoriety during the scandal.

Yeah, but I really wanted to post the original tweet with Giger’s comments. I think he is right though.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah, but I really wanted to post the original tweet with Ginger’s comments. I think Ginger is right though.
I’m not saying he isn’t right. I’m just not a fan. He tries to make himself more important than he is.

Reactions: ODShowtime

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
I give him a solid B. Took over with sanctions and has led the program to nice finishes and record. Has missed on several large things, the portal and hiring good assistant coaches. Hiring of assistant coaches is some good and some not so.... Comes down to what everyone wants. 10-2 doing things the "Joe" way with emphasis on academics and good off field behavior or push the limits for Titles. My only qualm is that PSU is paying JF a lot of money. At that rate if I was PSU I would expect a better ROI. More Big 10 Championships and some appearances in the playoffs.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
B seems about fair to me. But I have no confidence in him coaching the team to a victory in a big game.
Agreed the way PSU wins a title is a strong group of assistant coaches (OC/DC) with solid players. We had the defense to win it all this year and the offense just laid an egg. Manny even said before the season (to a friend who was bartending for Manny and his wife in the Florida Keys where he has a house and my friend talked to him and got to know him numerous times) they had the defense to win it all but it was up to the offense. Said Allar need more polishing before they could make a run at the title.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
B-
Good steward of the program, he represents the university well, recruits reasonably. Terrible feel for games and a lacking game day coach. Next year things get interesting with the inclusion of a tougher, deeper schedule. I have always thought the program is teetering between greatness and collapse(proverbially, like 6-7 wins a year) under Franklin. He seems to hire a surprisingly good coordinator(JoeMO, Manny) once the see-saw swings in the bad direction, or we benefit from a relatively soft schedule that props up his wins/accomplishments in deceiving way. What can't be argued is that he has been really ineffective winning the games that would swing the tide towards "greatness" or missed on the true game breaking recruits that would get us there. 2 new coordinators and a fair bit of attrition on this roster, coupled with a tougher schedule, I think Franklin either takes the final step to greatness next year or is fully exposed.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Agreed the way PSU wins a title is a strong group of assistant coaches (OC/DC) with solid players. We had the defense to win it all this year and the offense just laid an egg. Manny even said before the season (to a friend who was bartending for Manny and his wife in the Florida Keys where he has a house and my friend talked to him and got to know him numerous times) they had the defense to win it all but it was up to the offense. Said Allar need more polishing before they could make a run at the title.
Strong OC and DC, good defense, NFL QB (generalizing). That is the recipe that won it for Dabo, who I rate about the same as CJF (B to B+).

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I'd give him a B, B+.

Came in to a very difficult situation and turned it around quickly. Seems to have a definite ceiling unless the stars perfectly align (maybe that's true of all but a couple). He's done a solid job, just not elite.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
B-
Good steward of the program, he represents the university well, recruits reasonably. Terrible feel for games and a lacking game day coach. Next year things get interesting with the inclusion of a tougher, deeper schedule. I have always thought the program is teetering between greatness and collapse(proverbially, like 6-7 wins a year) under Franklin. He seems to hire a surprisingly good coordinator(JoeMO, Manny) once the see-saw swings in the bad direction, or we benefit from a relatively soft schedule that props up his wins/accomplishments in deceiving way. What can't be argued is that he has been really ineffective winning the games that would swing the tide towards "greatness" or missed on the true game breaking recruits that would get us there. 2 new coordinators and a fair bit of attrition on this roster, coupled with a tougher schedule, I think Franklin either takes the final step to greatness next year or is fully exposed.
This, except I would give him a B+. I value the off the field stuff and as far as I can tell he has done well with that. However I would add that some of those better bowl games were the result of UM and/or OSU getting playoff bids and us being next up for the NY6 invite.

Reactions: Midnighter

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Being in a division with OSU and Michigan hasn’t helped his record “obviously”. I’m not sure how many coaches in the country would have performed better. Overall I’m satisfied with CJF and still have faith in him. Will he ever win a national championship? Probably not, but a B10 contender is likely in most years, and that’s OK by me.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
We Are…Meant to wallow in misery, a
I give him a solid B. Took over with sanctions and has led the program to nice finishes and record. Has missed on several large things, the portal and hiring good assistant coaches. Hiring of assistant coaches is some good and some not so.... Comes down to what everyone wants. 10-2 doing things the "Joe" way with emphasis on academics and good off field behavior or push the limits for Titles. My only qualm is that PSU is paying JF a lot of money. At that rate if I was PSU I would expect a better ROI. More Big 10 Championships and some appearances in the playoffs.
No criticism.....pure discussion....i believe there has been discussion of the difficuties for transfer students being accepted/processed in by admissions....and while $8 million/yr is exorbinant....i have no idea what HC salaries will reach within 5 years. My only concern with CJF is he seems at times to disregard proven actions/procedures in preparation and game management. I AM NOT advocating changing HC....his positives outweigh his shortcomings

Reactions: HappyValley76

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021

I’d give Franklin a B I guess. It’s good to see takes from places other than BWI since I don’t think there is a lot of overlap between those who post there vs here.

The issue is how the program seems to have plateaued or even regressed a bit since 2018.

Overall, James is only 21-20 in games decided by 7 points or less, 10-8 vs. ranked teams from #11-25, 3-17 vs. top ten teams, and 4-5 in bowl games. Sure O$U and Michigan account for a lot of those games but what gives anyone the idea that it will change? And now west powers who are all in are entering the conference.

After ten years, he continues to have staffing issues in the same areas and always has a room or two that absolutely bites his arse. In 2021, it was QB depth, RB’s, and LOS. This year it was at WR, inexperienced QB, Special teams, and LOS. Next year it’s already shaping up to be pretty much all on the WR and LOS. Nothing seems to change but we all expect different results.

Krafty can’t have a bland program when he is out there trying to raise big bucks. PSU is just bland and pretty much has been since infamous 2018 comments about being elite.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I think its a tough job for a variety of reasons, some new and some old. From the outside looking in, it appears that Franklin believes in developing human beings or at least getting a kid to appreciate both football and the benefits of being educated. His 'family' approach while not unique among coaches either as sincerity or schtick is noteworthy, only because that's not something ever talked about PSU before he came here. As a parent, I would hold him to the expectation if my son elected to play for him.

I guess my bigger concern, like many PSU fans, has always been why does it matter if he or the program is successful in terms of wins/losses, vs. the top 20, in bowls, vs. the Mountain West in November (just kidding, we don't play them)? It mattered a great deal when I was a kid and when I attended PSU and for a few years after but after that many universities figured out how to not play school and to basically put nameless, faceless semi-pro kids on a football field. So, what's it matter if a kid 'stays eligible' or 'portals three times' or a glorified gym teacher brings a bunch of kids from his old school over to your university and you win a national championship? Who cares? Is it reflection of anything other than one faceless team beat another faceless team at football? I often wonder about Saban. He's happy about the money no doubt and I bet he's happy for some of his kids who went on to bigger things but I'm also willing to bet he also thinks from time to time 'what the hell has this become?'

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The issue is how the program seems to have plateaued or even regressed a bit since 2018.

Overall, James is only 21-20 in games decided by 7 points or less, 10-8 vs. ranked teams from #11-25, 3-17 vs. top ten teams, and 4-5 in bowl games. Sure O$U and Michigan account for a lot of those games but what gives anyone the idea that it will change? And now west powers who are all in are entering the conference.

After ten years, he continues to have staffing issues in the same areas and always has a room or two that absolutely bites his arse. In 2021, it was QB depth, RB’s, and LOS. This year it was at WR, inexperienced QB, Special teams, and LOS. Next year it’s already shaping up to be pretty much all on the WR and LOS. Nothing seems to change but we all expect different results.

Krafty can’t have a bland program when he is out there trying to raise big bucks. PSU is just bland and pretty much has been since infamous 2018 comments about being elite.

Washington was an underdog in its three most recent games against top ten opponents and won all three.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Washington was an underdog in its three most recent games against top ten opponents and won all three.
Washington is very good and very well coached. DeBoer is underrated as a HC. I hope they win it all. Just curious though, what three games are you referring to? They were the “underdog” to Oregon in the PAC 12 Championship but that was just mind boggling as they were ranked higher and already beat the Ducks earlier in the year. What other games? Texas? Who else?

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Washington is very good and very well coached. DeBoer is underrated as a HC. I hope they win it all. Just curious though, what three games are you referring to? They were the “underdog” to Oregon in the PAC 12 Championship but that was just mind boggling as they were ranked higher and already beat the Ducks earlier in the year. What other games? Texas? Who else?

Oregon in the regular season.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
C - We used to be Penn State, we could play anybody and have a reasonably good chance to win. Not anymore. This is a middle of the B1G football team that can't win big. Always with the excuses.
"We used to be Penn State" not since the last undefeated team in 1993 if you ask me.

Reactions: Nitt1300

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Twice to Oregon then Texas.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
The problem as I see it, is that the monkey on Franklin's back continues to grow, and the hump to get over is becoming a mountain. The weight of expectations, and the lack of confidence from failing to achieve those objectives has to weigh on the psyche of both the coach and his players. Seems like PSU turtles up in the big games.
"Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” – Vince Lombardi

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Which was asinine.
Not at all. Washington did not look great after the first oregon win. Struggled vs ASU at home. Outgained by a terrible Stanford team. Usc had more pts per play. Oregon state was a really good team and great at home. They outgained Washington and lost by 2pts on a safety.

They were also outgained by Washington state and only won by 3 at home. There was a good reason that oregon was a big fav in the second game.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Not at all. Washington did not look great after the first oregon win. Struggled vs ASU at home. Outgained by a terrible Stanford team. Usc had more pts per play. Oregon state was a really good team and great at home. They outgained Washington and lost by 2pts on a safety.

They were also outgained by Washington state and only won by 3 at home. There was a good reason that oregon was a big fav in the second game.
And they (Vegas) were wrong. Oregon State was good, but they had already lost twice. Side note: That game was in a monsoon. Very entertaining game.

Reactions: DCLion11