FC: James Franklin on expectations for 2024…

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Hey let's take the field on that one? Even more so at a school that fights itself and sets itself up for failure due to allowing the program to become complacent and fall behind. They still are behind the game as it evolves, but I'm sure we're just a Joe guy coaching again from correcting all those wrongs. Take Franklin out of the picture, not a single top 5 coach is running to this coocoo nest anytime soon. Remove Franklin and keep PSU as it is today.....yep...hold your breath on that one as a winning formula. If Franklin wants a MNC his best move may be to bail on PSU IMO.

2 Chainz Pockets GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST
That's it, change the subject when you don't have an answer. I'm talking about Franklin, not the rest of the college football world. When Joe passed, Lasch and Holuba were all of eleven years old. Guess he should have pushed for upgrades from his grave.

I agree that Franklin would have a better chance at a championship elsewhere, but only at a handful; of places. You needn't worry that any of them will hire him.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
That's it, change the subject when you don't have an answer. I'm talking about Franklin, not the rest of the college football world. When Joe passed, Lasch and Holuba were all of eleven years old. Guess he should have pushed for upgrades from his grave.

I agree that Franklin would have a better chance at a championship elsewhere, but only at a handful; of places. You needn't worry that any of them will hire him.
You sure about that? Holuba Hall and the weight room got an upgrade when O’Brien took over after he said they were grossly outdated. This article from 2012 says Holuba Hall was 26 yrs old at the time.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
I love CJF and I think he's a good coach and I'm glad he's at Penn State but he needs to look in the mirror when trying to figure out how we can get over the hump. Players come and go but he's been the one constant. He needs to look at his in game decisions during some of our most important games. IMO he's prone to taking unnecessary risks which end up tilting games in our opponents' favor. This is my biggest criticism of Franklin.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Holuba was built in 1986.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Agree. Just for S’s & G’s though, Paterno had 409 wins in 45 years. 9.0 average. Granted there were less scheduled games back then, but he also didn’t have to deal with NIL or the portal.
Agree, but Franklin's 1-9 record vs OSU has virtually nothing to do with the portal or NIL.

But going forward he is at a big disadvantage to OSU & UM $$$.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I love CJF and I think he's a good coach and I'm glad he's at Penn State but he needs to look in the mirror when trying to figure out how we can get over the hump. Players come and go but he's been the one constant. He needs to look at his in game decisions during some of our most important games. IMO he's prone to taking unnecessary risks which end up tilting games in our opponents' favor. This is my biggest criticism of Franklin.
Unnecessary risks like going for it on 4th down in our own territory.

But also risk adverse when leading in Q4.

Also too many penalties or time outs when players don't seem to know the play.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Unnecessary risks like going for it on 4th down in our own territory.

But also risk adverse when leading in Q4.

Also too many penalties or time outs when players don't seem to know the play.

The highlighted sentence is my biggest gripe. It's deflating and often times the turning point, not in a good way, in our close games. I think it also makes it very clear to the team that he doesn't think they're good enough to win.

Last edited:

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
I respectfully think you missed my point. Why were “nearly 10 win seasons” from 2005-2011 acceptable for Joe (as you insinuated in your previous post) and not for Franklin? It wasn’t like Joe was consistently beating OSU, Michigan, or Iowa during that timeframe. Clearly, he was getting outcoached and out recruited during that timeframe, but you used it as a positive for his coaching career. Why? And for the record, you compared the two.

In part, 409 plus people knew an end was coming. An awful lot happened before 2005 that carried forward.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
In part, 409 plus people knew an end was coming. An awful lot happened before 2005 that carried forward.

Also because Franklin's teams are, by a big margin, way more talented than Joe's teams were in his later years. Joe outperformed his recruiting rankings, Franklin's perform 'as ranked'. That show either a) poor talent identification, b) poor player development, and/or c) poor coaching. I think it is the latter based on the number of players Franklin has put in the NFL, but maybe some combination of all of them....

Reactions: Grass

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Also because Franklin's teams are, by a big margin, way more talented than Joe's teams were in his later years. Joe outperformed his recruiting rankings, Franklin's perform 'as ranked'. That show either a) poor talent identification, b) poor player development, and/or c) poor coaching. I think it is the latter based on the number of players Franklin has put in the NFL, but maybe some combination of all of them....
Debatable on talent level. Joe had guys like Levi Brown, Lavar, Navarro , Lee, Connor, Bryant Johnson, LJ, Hali, Kennedy, Adams, etc get drafted. The problem was he couldn’t land a top tier QB for many reasons and it hurt drastically. The offense was inept in many of those last 11 years. Clark and MRob were it. The offense was not up to date.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I get that and completely understand that perspective. However, under no circumstances would any coach have survived the results he had from the end of 1999-2004 in today’s game. He made a huge mistake by making Jay the recruiting coordinator and it bit him bad. It seems as though some have forgotten about the struggles to beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa during that last 11 years. We hear how Franklin can’t beat Ohio State and Michigan but Joe struggled to do the same and it was ok. It’s a huge double standard. That’s my frustration. Franklin doesn’t get a pass for the bad game day decisions either. They fall squarely on him.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Not what you said. Nor does the math compute. When you’re wrong, you’re wrong. Own it.
Oh, you got me in a major episode of lazy writing. And while Holuba,, an indoor practice field, the first (I believe) on any college campus, hadn't been renovated for sixteen years, maybe you'd like to tell us how many schools even had indoor practice fields in 2011?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Oh, you got me in a major episode of lazy writing. And while Holuba,, an indoor practice field, the first (I believe) on any college campus, hadn't been renovated for sixteen years, maybe you'd like to tell us how many schools even had indoor practice fields in 2011?
Irrelevant. You claimed it was only 11 years old when Joe died. It was 26. You like to preach to others when they are wrong. A little dose of your own medicine.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
I get that and completely understand that perspective. However, under no circumstances would any coach have survived the results he had from the end of 1999-2004 in today’s game. He made a huge mistake by making Jay the recruiting coordinator and it bit him bad. It seems as though some have forgotten about the struggles to beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa during that last 11 years. We hear how Franklin can’t beat Ohio State and Michigan but Joe struggled to do the same and it was ok. It’s a huge double standard. That’s my frustration. Franklin doesn’t get a pass for the bad game day decisions either. They fall squarely on him.

Probably not if that same coach didn't have 1966-1998, didn't build the library and didn't help raise god knows how many millions of dollars for the university. All while taking a modest salary.

Reactions: Grass

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Probably not if that same coach didn't have 1966-1998, didn't build the library and didn't help raise god knows how many millions of dollars for the university. All while taking a modest salary.
So, if Franklin donates a few million to the library, you won’t complain if he loses to Toledo or 6-4 to Iowa?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LaJollaCreek

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Irrelevant. You claimed it was only 11 years old when Joe died. It was 26. You like to preach to others when they are wrong. A little dose of your own medicine.
It's an indoor practice field. Not much can be done to improve that functionally. So you got me. And Franklin will never win a national championship. Pretty sure you ain't getting me on that one. but until it rolls out you can continue blaming it on Joe.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
It's an indoor practice field. Not much can be done to improve that functionally. So you got me. Now go do your pee-pee dance elsewhere.
If you ever learn to admit mistakes, you’ll feel better. Have a great night.

Latest posts