FC/OT: Caitlin Clark signs rookie contract!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Fresh off her SNL appearance.

Also, Cameron Brink may have the best red carpet look of the year. Holy sh*t.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
I didn't watch what I read leads me to believe the WNBA draft was part draft and part fashion show.

Reactions: PSU1969A

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
My crusty old neighbor says "If you took everyone who gave two sh*ts about the WNBA it wouldn't fill a Porta-John".

Funny you say that. Friend of mine (female) said tonight she started looking for tickets to see the DC Mystic play Clark’s team the Indiana Fever this fall; all dates are sold out and aftermarket tix are $600.

Reactions: LionJim

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
How shall we say? Seems not to have much entertainment value.

How is what the men do more entertaining? They travel nonstop and are almost eye to eye with the rim when they shoot. They’re too big for the court which hasn’t changed rules to accommodate the massive increase in average height. Everyone can dunk. It’s boring and has been for decades.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Fresh off her SNL appearance.

Also, Cameron Brink may have the best red carpet look of the year. Holy sh*t.

Two thoughts

1) Lesbian basketball 🏀 isn’t the best way to accumulate wealth, and

2) small, almost non-existent boobs complete with usually large thighs relative her calves

Oct 12, 2021
How is what the men do more entertaining? They travel nonstop and are almost eye to eye with the rim when they shoot. They’re too big for the court which hasn’t changed rules to accommodate the massive increase in average height. Everyone can dunk. It’s boring and has been for decades.
I don't care much about either, but the numbers don't lie. People don't care about the WNBA. If the WNBA had entertainment value, then people would follow it and Caitlyn Clark would have signed a much larger contract. They don't. Apparently, a lot of people still follow the NBA. Just the way it is. Maybe it will change and the WNBA will have a larger following.

Last edited:

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Funny you say that. Friend of mine (female) said tonight she started looking for tickets to see the DC Mystic play Clark’s team the Indiana Fever this fall; all dates are sold out and aftermarket tix are $600.
Clark will have a following, but I found some comparisons between the NBA and WNBA in 2022, the NBA first.

Revenue: 10 billion vs 60 million.
Average salaries: 9.6 million vs 102,751.
Average viewership 2022: 12.4 million vs 412,000
Average attendance: 17,184 vs 5,679

Will Clark help those dismal WNBA numbers? Probably, but she can only do so much.

I really don't care. Unlike my neighbor, I never watch NBA games and if you gave me a hundred dollars for every NBA player I could name, I might get one.

My oldest daughter was a NY Liberty season ticket holder for years. When they were in the playoffs I watched a few of their games which I found boring. That said, I wish Clark, and the league, well. As always, the public will decide their futures.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

As though dunking is where the skill and talent is really on display. Jokic is the best player in the league right now and is incredible to watch, and has nothing to do with dunking. I find NBA games great to watch. Also, to those who likely haven't ever watched a WNBA game, or haven't watched in a decade or more, it's night and day different than it once was. The talent level and style of play in the WNBA right now is actually really entertaining.

northwoods

Oct 30, 2021
Two thoughts

1) Lesbian basketball 🏀 isn’t the best way to accumulate wealth, and

2) small, almost non-existent boobs complete with usually large thighs relative her calves
Showed my wife your post. Her, and my, conclusion is that you have some real problems as relate to evaluating the relative real worth of women. Her final comment was a firm "What a pig".

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Anecdotal. Your friend. One game.

Potential microcosm of the future? Who knows? But interest is growing.

As though dunking is where the skill and talent is really on display. Jokic is the best player in the league right now and is incredible to watch, and has nothing to do with dunking. I find NBA games great to watch. Also, to those who likely haven't ever watched a WNBA game, or haven't watched in a decade or more, it's night and day different than it once was. The talent level and style of play in the WNBA right now is actually really entertaining.

Basketball is awful because it is the one sport where a physical attribute is insanely over represented but almost mandatory for success:

Basketball players in the NBA are generally much taller than the average man. Only 5% of men in the US are taller than 6 feet 3 inches. The average height of an NBA player is 6 feet 7 inches. In addition to height, basketball players tend to have longer arms, far outside the norm for the general population.

It’s no secret that height is a clear advantage in basketball. It puts you nearer the hoop for both shooting and rebounding and allows you to block shots more effectively while being harder to block. A man’s chances of playing professional basketball correlate strongly with his height.

• If a man is between 6 feet and 6 feet 2 inches, he has a five in one million chance of being in the NBA.
  • Men in the height range of 6 feet 10 inches to 7 feet have a 3.2% chance of being in the NBA.
  • At seven feet tall, the chance of being in the NBA is 17%.
  • 11% of players in the NBA are seven feet tall, a staggeringly large percent given how rare that height is in the general population.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
I don't care much about either, but the numbers don't lie. People don't care about the WNBA. If the WNBA had entertainment value, then people would follow it and Caitlyn Clark would have signed a much larger contract. They don't. Apparently, a lot of people still follow the NBA. Just the way it is. Maybe it will change and the WNBA will have a larger following.
The biggest problem for the WNBA is not that people don’t care about it, it’s that women don’t care about it. Women’s figure skating and gymnastics do very well because women watch it. Most men simply don’t have time to support every sport out there. If Caitlin Clark (or anyone else) starts getting women to watch the WNBA, they will be fine, but I doubt it happens.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Cue Bill Burr.

The biggest problem for the WNBA is not that people don’t care about it, it’s that women don’t care about it.
OK, I'll do it. For those of you who haven't seen it, below is Bill Burr on the WNBA. As you'd expect with him, there's a lot of swearing so pass on the video if you take offense to salty language. And no, he doesn't insult the WNBA and in fact does the opposite.

Women Sports, what men think but can’t say (youtube.com)

Reactions: bdgan and s1uggo72

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
OK, I'll do it. For those of you who haven't seen it, below is Bill Burr on the WNBA. As you'd expect with him, there's a lot of swearing so pass on the video if you take offense to salty language. And no, he doesn't insult the WNBA and in fact does the opposite.

Women Sports, what men think but can’t say (youtube.com)
He's also a comedian and if they trigger you still....you're probably the issue not him. He's paid very well to get reactions and laughter and is one of the best to do it. In terms of her pay she will be compensated quite well with endorsements I imagine, but not everyone the league has her name so it's up to the league and folks like her to build it up. Owners and leagues aren't there to lose money unless it's their write off which would be the case for some of them I guess.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Potential microcosm of the future? Who knows? But interest is growing.

Basketball is awful because it is the one sport where a physical attribute is insanely over represented but almost mandatory for success:

Basketball players in the NBA are generally much taller than the average man. Only 5% of men in the US are taller than 6 feet 3 inches. The average height of an NBA player is 6 feet 7 inches. In addition to height, basketball players tend to have longer arms, far outside the norm for the general population.

It’s no secret that height is a clear advantage in basketball. It puts you nearer the hoop for both shooting and rebounding and allows you to block shots more effectively while being harder to block. A man’s chances of playing professional basketball correlate strongly with his height.

• If a man is between 6 feet and 6 feet 2 inches, he has a five in one million chance of being in the NBA.
  • Men in the height range of 6 feet 10 inches to 7 feet have a 3.2% chance of being in the NBA.
  • At seven feet tall, the chance of being in the NBA is 17%.
  • 11% of players in the NBA are seven feet tall, a staggeringly large percent given how rare that height is in the general population.

That’s true, but the players 6’10” and up who are the real stars are stars not just because of their height. Sure, Jokic is tall, but his footwork, vision, passing, etc are why he’s great.

Also, you’re talking about just a couple of the positions on the court. Plenty of the top players are in the 6’1-6’5” range too.

Finally, I’m clueless as to why that affects the entertainment value of the sport in any event. Do you hate volleyball too? Baseball pitchers? The average American male is 5’9”, and the average NFL player is 6’2”. That 5” difference is fine by you, but the 4” between there and nba avg of 6’6” renders the sport unwatchable? And why is height as the deciding physical trait offensive, but others are not? Almost nobody is making it big in the NFL without elite speed or fast twitch explosiveness. You can improve things like that, but you’re either born with the level needed or you aren’t, just like height. Why doesn’t that make watching football awful?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
That’s true, but the players 6’10” and up who are the real stars are stars not just because of their height. Sure, Jokic is tall, but his footwork, vision, passing, etc are why he’s great.

Also, you’re talking about just a couple of the positions on the court. Plenty of the top players are in the 6’1-6’5” range too.

Finally, I’m clueless as to why that affects the entertainment value of the sport in any event. Do you hate volleyball too? Baseball pitchers? The average American male is 5’9”, and the average NFL player is 6’2”. That 5” difference is fine by you, but the 4” between there and nba avg of 6’6” renders the sport unwatchable? And why is height as the deciding physical trait offensive, but others are not? Almost nobody is making it big in the NFL without elite speed or fast twitch explosiveness. You can improve things like that, but you’re either born with the level needed or you aren’t, just like height. Why doesn’t that make watching football awful?

The rim being 10 foot is the issue. When you have players who are 7'+, it takes very little skill to have some success. There are countless examples of NBA players who by virtue of being tall had success. Baseball and football is different, since no one inherent (as in, born with) attribute is so disproportionately necessary to be successful as height is to basketball. Sure, being a tall pitcher helps, but it's not critical. Technique, stamina, arm strength, etc. - all things you can develop (like speed, footwork, strength in football) - are more important. I guess being tall in volleyball is necessary but you also need to be able to jump, have hand eye coordination, block, etc. and at a certain point height will be a disadvantage. The average height of a men's D1 volleyball players is 6'3"; women is 5'10".

Shaquille O'Neal is one of the best NBA players ever and when given a free, unobstructed shot from the free throw line he managed to make 52% of them throughout his career.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
The rim being 10 foot is the issue. When you have players who are 7'+, it takes very little skill to have some success. There are countless examples of NBA players who by virtue of being tall had success. Baseball and football is different, since no one inherent (as in, born with) attribute is so disproportionately necessary to be successful as height is to basketball. Sure, being a tall pitcher helps, but it's not critical. Technique, stamina, arm strength, etc. - all things you can develop (like speed, footwork, strength in football) - are more important. I guess being tall in volleyball is necessary but you also need to be able to jump, have hand eye coordination, block, etc. and at a certain point height will be a disadvantage. The average height of a men's D1 volleyball players is 6'3"; women is 5'10".

Shaquille O'Neal is one of the best NBA players ever and when given a free, unobstructed shot from the free throw line he managed to make 52% of them throughout his career.

Im not sure what to say. If you think that there are talentless NBA players having success just because they’re tall, there’s not much I can say back because I see none of that. Can a guy make a team at 7’4” with limited talent, sure (Boban), but guys like that are not who’s on the court for meaningful minutes. Shaq is also not the example you think he is. He would not have been great but for his size, but his size alone is not why he was great. Nor does FT shooting prove something. Not every player in any sport is supposed to be great at every aspect. Miguel Cabrera is a top 100 all time player. He sucked in the field.

We just fundamentally disagree about the role of height. I find it necessary for some of the positions, but never determinative of greatness. You seem to think just being tall means you’re good.

Every position in every professional sport I can think of requires some trait you were either born with or you weren’t. So I just don’t get why this one is the one that bothers you.

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
Its all about viewership and interest. Clark is going to do fine, she'll probably make over 2 million dollars next year, though little of it is going to come from here WNBA salary.

The question is, will those who follow Clark benefit from the popularity of the sport that she is generating? Higher attendance and bigger TV contracts that go with it will benefit everyone. The only stupid thing that could happen, and I wouldn't put it above the stupidity of what appears to be a lot of the players in the WNBA.

A lot of them appear to be doing everything to tear her down and not build her up. She could do for the WNBA what Magic and Bird did for the NBA. It could lead to exponential growth for that league over the next 10 years, but some of the players don't get it.

I tend to think she'll be one of the top 5 players in that league year one, but a bunch of the players and former players in that league won't embrace it, rather they will complain about how she really isn't that good its because.......(pick a reason, you'll hear them all)

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023

Explain John Stockton to me now. How's he one of the best ever if its all about height?

Also, O'neal could probably pick up you and throw you 20 feet in the air, while at the a same time getting to one end of a basketball court a lot quicker than you. That means, you wouldn't be able to get away from him. Thats why he could get away with not being able to shoot from 15 feet. The fact that he could knock a 6'8" 260 pound person to the ground without really trying says something.

We will never know, but O'neal might have been a HoF type left tackle if that's what he chose to do. The big MFer could move for his size.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Im not sure what to say. If you think that there are talentless NBA players having success just because they’re tall, there’s not much I can say back because I see none of that. Can a guy make a team at 7’4” with limited talent, sure (Boban), but guys like that are not who’s on the court for meaningful minutes. Shaq is also not the example you think he is. He would not have been great but for his size, but his size alone is not why he was great. Nor does FT shooting prove something. Not every player in any sport is supposed to be great at every aspect. Miguel Cabrera is a top 100 all time player. He sucked in the field.

We just fundamentally disagree about the role of height. I find it necessary for some of the positions, but never determinative of greatness. You seem to think just being tall means you’re good.

Every position in every professional sport I can think of requires some trait you were either born with or you weren’t. So I just don’t get why this one is the one that bothers you.

None, in any sport, are as advantageous as height is in basketball. I pointed out an all time great in basketball who couldn't make a free, unobstructed basket more than half the time.. If the fundamental purpose of basketball is 'shooting' baskets, and you can't make a freebie more than 50% of the time, yet you still are an all time leading scorer and NBA Hall of Famer, it's because you are tall. And in Shaq's case, 'big'. Wilt Chamberlain? 51% from the FT line all time. It's also hard to compare bball to other sports because though there are some positions, it's all about passing and scoring. Sure, setting blocks, running plays are a part of it, but compared to football, where there are distinctive offensive and defensive positions with a wide degree of skill sets, it's really just about trying to get a good look at the basket.

As for born with it, yeah, you can be born fast, maybe, and coordinated, but you don't get to be Saquon Barkley by relying on that. Shaq? He can rely on being tall.

My original post asked why the men's game was so much more entertaining than women's. If it's not about dunks (which most women can't do), what is it? Most shots are from right near the basket, or the three point line. Women can shoot three's.

baltimorened

Oct 19, 2021

from what I read, the values of the contracts have been negotiated by the player's "union" (not sure of it's an actual union). I would imagine if they could have negotiated more they would have. Problem is, player's could negotiate for whatever they want, but if the revenues aren't there to pay them, it would make for short lived league. Same article reported that men's TV deal is about $2billion, women's is $60 million. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest from the sports watching world to actually watch the wnba. For all those who now call for equity of pay, simply ask "how many WNBA games have you attended, or how many games have you watched on TV in the last 5 years?"

Reactions: Bison13

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
Nigther, You kidding yourself? How many 250 pound lineman do you see in the NFL if size isn't ridiculously important at the position. I'd say 330 pounds is about as important to a lineman as height is a hoop player.

How many WRs are out there that can't run a 4.7. Almost every single position on a football field require certain skill that you better have a crazy talent at, or are just naturally a lot bigger or forget about it. Or do you think the average Joe can be taught to run a 4.5.

Most NBA points guards have the natural speed and quickness to play CB or WR in the NFL, but they have a handle and shoot a basketball better than the NFL guys. Most NFL Cbs and WRs have the quicks to play in the NBA, but just not the individual skills that the game requires. Thats all.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Nigther, You kidding yourself? How many 250 pound lineman do you see in the NFL if size isn't ridiculously important at the position. I'd say 330 pounds is about as important to a lineman as height is a hoop player.

How many WRs are out there that can't run a 4.7. Almost every single position on a football field require certain skill that you better have a crazy talent at, or are just naturally a lot bigger or forget about it. Or do you think the average Joe can be taught to run a 4.5.

Most NBA points guards have the natural speed and quickness to play CB or WR in the NFL, but they have a handle and shoot a basketball better than the NFL guys. Most NFL Cbs and WRs have the quicks to play in the NBA, but just not the individual skills that the game requires. Thats all.

Let me ask you this: Can you make yourself heavier? Stronger? Faster? Yes. Taller? Let me know.

Most NFL CB's aren't tall enough to play in the NBA. By a long shot. Iverson and a handful of others are the exception.

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021
I think the average NBA attendance is around 18,000 per game and the WNBA is about 6,000. And I don't watch either.

Reactions: Jaydmil

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I think the average NBA attendance is around 18,000 per game and the WNBA is about 6,000. And I don't watch either.
The NBA plays twice as many games as the WNBA. More fans + more games = more revenue. Fewer fans + fewer games = less revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bison13

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Explain John Stockton to me now. How's he one of the best ever if its all about height?

Also, O'neal could probably pick up you and throw you 20 feet in the air, while at the a same time getting to one end of a basketball court a lot quicker than you. That means, you wouldn't be able to get away from him. Thats why he could get away with not being able to shoot from 15 feet. The fact that he could knock a 6'8" 260 pound person to the ground without really trying says something.

We will never know, but O'neal might have been a HoF type left tackle if that's what he chose to do. The big MFer could move for his size.
We will agree to disagree on Shaq. If he was 6'3, and 225 with the same speed and skill level he would have never seen an NBA roster.
His sheer size was really the only way he was NBA material