FC/OT: Caitlin Clark signs rookie contract!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Does anyone really need a reason for not enjoying a particular sport? I can’t take watching hockey. Why? Beats me. No need to make it any more complicated than “For whatever reason, I simply don’t dig it.”

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
Let me ask you this: Can you make yourself heavier? Stronger? Faster? Yes. Taller? Let me know.

Most NFL CB's aren't tall enough to play in the NBA. By a long shot. Iverson and a handful of others are the exception.
How tall do you think Chris Paul and Steph Curry are? I'd say both are considered the two best PGs in the league in the last 10 years and they must be shorter than you think. Most taller guys just aren't quick enough to play out front in the NBA, and you do know how big Jonathon Ogden is.

My question for you. Can you make your shoulders wider?

I might be able to able to get myself to 330, but I assure you. I was never playing in the NFL if I did it on a 6' frame. Also, I don't think I was running a 4.5, not matter how hard I trained. All that stuff is god given at birth. Not a whole lot you or I can do about it. Being at least 6'6" and able to carry 340 pounds is probably as important to an NFL lineman than being 7' is for an NBA player. Both guys are pretty darn rare body types. That might be why you find these 6'7" college power forwards giving the NFL a shot as TE's. These tall guys aren't wide enough to be lineman. How do you make your body frame wider?

and if you think the NBA is only about size. How many 6'6" or taller people do you know. How many of them play in the NBA? Pick any sport you want. Its more about skill than anything else.

You can't even make arguments about which sport is the most difficult. Bo Jackson, who I think is the single best athlete of my generation would be the first to say he couldn't dribble or shoot a basketball, but he said he could dunk with them best of them. Charlie Ward and Danny Ainge couldn't cut it as football and baseball players but they could play hoops.

PSU89er

Nov 22, 2023
Does anyone really need a reason for not enjoying a particular sport? I can’t take watching hockey. Why? Beats me. No need to make it any more complicated than “For whatever reason, I simply don’t dig it.”
Have you ever seen hockey live? I can't watch it on TV, but in person. The speed is amazing.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Understood but 6000 people per game tells me most people could care less about the WNBA. I used to big an NBA fan but when MJ retired, I quit watching.
The point I was poorly trying to make was that less tickets sold for fewer games means even less revenue. Plus I'm guessing that the ticket prices are lower for the WNBA.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
How is what the men do more entertaining? They travel nonstop and are almost eye to eye with the rim when they shoot. They’re too big for the court which hasn’t changed rules to accommodate the massive increase in average height. Everyone can dunk. It’s boring and has been for decades.
Lost respect for you here. What are you gonna do to earn it back

and pro tip heat sixers play in game in 2 hours

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
WNBA needs to follow the WWE and Olympic women's gymnastics approach; need stories/personalities to go with these athletes. Need people to care; need to "get them over" as they say. They should have the talent in the league by now to make the games competitive, now you need the show.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Its all about viewership and interest. Clark is going to do fine, she'll probably make over 2 million dollars next year, though little of it is going to come from here WNBA salary.

The question is, will those who follow Clark benefit from the popularity of the sport that she is generating? Higher attendance and bigger TV contracts that go with it will benefit everyone. The only stupid thing that could happen, and I wouldn't put it above the stupidity of what appears to be a lot of the players in the WNBA.

A lot of them appear to be doing everything to tear her down and not build her up. She could do for the WNBA what Magic and Bird did for the NBA. It could lead to exponential growth for that league over the next 10 years, but some of the players don't get it.

I tend to think she'll be one of the top 5 players in that league year one, but a bunch of the players and former players in that league won't embrace it, rather they will complain about how she really isn't that good its because.......(pick a reason, you'll hear them all)
This is the problem currently. Diana Taurasi should shut the hell up and embrace it(and the others). They have some young star who is getting a lot of attention and bringing a lot of attention to women's basketball and they should ride the wave instead of crapping on it. Viewership and sponsorship will rise because of the attention and ultimately their salaries.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Clark will have a following, but I found some comparisons between the NBA and WNBA in 2022, the NBA first.

Revenue: 10 billion vs 60 million.
Average salaries: 9.6 million vs 102,751.
Average viewership 2022: 12.4 million vs 412,000
Average attendance: 17,184 vs 5,679

Will Clark help those dismal WNBA numbers? Probably, but she can only do so much.

I really don't care. Unlike my neighbor, I never watch NBA games and if you gave me a hundred dollars for every NBA player I could name, I might get one.

My oldest daughter was a NY Liberty season ticket holder for years. When they were in the playoffs I watched a few of their games which I found boring. That said, I wish Clark, and the league, well. As always, the public will decide their futures.
the numbers suggest that the WNBA comps are inline with the market demand. It has nothing to do with some artificial force - the market speaks. I am not sure what the fuss is about. Want more $$$ then grow the product demand in terms of $$$. This is not hard to see.

Reactions: Bison13 and LionJim

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Nigther, You kidding yourself? How many 250 pound lineman do you see in the NFL if size isn't ridiculously important at the position. I'd say 330 pounds is about as important to a lineman as height is a hoop player.

How many WRs are out there that can't run a 4.7. Almost every single position on a football field require certain skill that you better have a crazy talent at, or are just naturally a lot bigger or forget about it. Or do you think the average Joe can be taught to run a 4.5.

Most NBA points guards have the natural speed and quickness to play CB or WR in the NFL, but they have a handle and shoot a basketball better than the NFL guys. Most NFL Cbs and WRs have the quicks to play in the NBA, but just not the individual skills that the game requires. Thats all.

You can add weight. You can add muscle. You can train and get faster. You can practice and get better. The Rock can look like this…

or this…

...but he's still only ever going to be 6'4".

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
You can add weight. You can add muscle. You can train and get faster. You can practice and get better. The Rock can look like this…

or this…

...but he's still only ever going to be 6'4".
And yet when the Rock stands next to Howie Long or Michael Strahand ( sp?) they tower over his. He’s 6-1 at best

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

Appreciate that. Never actually saw Shaq play.

But seriously, I never said the man wasn't athletic. But looking at the highlight reel, some of those are simple hustle plays. A good portion of them were BECAUSE of his size.

I stand by my assertion that his NBA success was because he was just huge. If he was typical power forward sized he would have played D2 or sat the bench at LSU. The basketball talent just isn't there and he is the poster child for Midnighter's premise that in the NBA, size cures a lot.

PS....the famous clip of him diving and sliding along the floor towards the camera? Traveling.

Reactions: Midnighter

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Showed my wife your post. Her, and my, conclusion is that you have some real problems as relate to evaluating the relative real worth of women. Her final comment was a firm "What a pig".
Does your wife resemble this....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Potential microcosm of the future? Who knows? But interest is growing.

Basketball is awful because it is the one sport where a physical attribute is insanely over represented but almost mandatory for success:

Basketball players in the NBA are generally much taller than the average man. Only 5% of men in the US are taller than 6 feet 3 inches. The average height of an NBA player is 6 feet 7 inches. In addition to height, basketball players tend to have longer arms, far outside the norm for the general population.

It’s no secret that height is a clear advantage in basketball. It puts you nearer the hoop for both shooting and rebounding and allows you to block shots more effectively while being harder to block. A man’s chances of playing professional basketball correlate strongly with his height.

• If a man is between 6 feet and 6 feet 2 inches, he has a five in one million chance of being in the NBA.
  • Men in the height range of 6 feet 10 inches to 7 feet have a 3.2% chance of being in the NBA.
  • At seven feet tall, the chance of being in the NBA is 17%.
  • 11% of players in the NBA are seven feet tall, a staggeringly large percent given how rare that height is in the general population.
Basketball is awful because the players are tall?
Is football awful because all offensive lineman would qualify as morbidly obese?

Last edited:

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Funny you say that. Friend of mine (female) said tonight she started looking for tickets to see the DC Mystic play Clark’s team the Indiana Fever this fall; all dates are sold out and aftermarket tix are $600.
How long do you think that's going to last?

Reactions: Jaydmil

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
How is what the men do more entertaining? They travel nonstop and are almost eye to eye with the rim when they shoot. They’re too big for the court which hasn’t changed rules to accommodate the massive increase in average height. Everyone can dunk. It’s boring and has been for decades.
Here's an idea. American women should start playing as much basketball as men. They should also watch as much basketball, attend as many pro games, and buy as much basketball gear as men. When all of that is equal come back and demand as much pay.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Are there NBA players who make Caitlin's salary in 1 game? 1 week? Fortunately, many of the women had NIL money and now endorsements in NBA. Over the years women have played in Europe just to make decent professional money. Attendance will be up in WNBA this year-and more games will be

Reactions: Midnighter
Oct 12, 2021
Reactions: BW Lion

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
How long do you think that's going to last?

For a little while....seems to bother you somehow. Maybe she does grow the sport a little bit, maybe she doesn't. For right now she's getting eyes on the set and people interested....how dare she.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
For a little while....seems to bother you somehow. Maybe she does grow the sport a little bit, maybe she doesn't. For right now she's getting eyes on the set and people interested....how dare she.
I have absolutely no interest in women’s basketball. But I will probably watch Clark play a game or two next season. From the little bit I saw of her (championship game and maybe a half of the semifinal) she reminded me of Larry Bird. Or maybe from a different sport, Wayne Gretzky. She thinks the game two steps ahead of everybody else. Her passing was more impressive to me than her shooting.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I have absolutely no interest in women’s basketball. But I will probably watch Clark play a game or two next season. From the little bit I saw of her (championship game and maybe a half of the semifinal) she reminded me of Larry Bird. Or maybe from a different sport, Wayne Gretzky. She thinks the game two steps ahead of everybody else. Her passing was more impressive to me than her shooting.
I watched a few times and she's impressive for sure. I won't be going to a WNBA game anytime soon unless my kids want to go because there is no team near me. If nothing is on and I see a game of hers on I would maybe tune in, but my interest in sports is becoming a bit more focused due to time constraints. The only reason I watch the NBA again is because my son loves it so I'll watch games or take him to a couple a year. Some of the takes in this thread as the reasons not to like the sport are funny and also sad. Then you have folks on either side getting all bothered by her salary somehow. The WNBA needs so use her popularity to grow the sport and if they do it properly maybe it picks up a little bit. Hopefully it does because only a complete a-hole roots against progress for other humans.

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Basketball is awful because then players are tall?
Is football awful because all offensive lineman would qualify as morbidly obese?

That is nowhere near what I’m suggesting. You can be a big guy but not be a good offensive lineman. See hundreds and hundreds of examples - even at PSU - it is a long and glorious list of big guys who just weren’t good. You can be 6'6" 345 lbs. but if you can't run or have stiff hips you're not long for the NFL. If you are 6’10” - 7’+ - you can have a solid NBA career without a lot of skill/talent. Manute Bol was 7’6”, played one year of college, and had a 12 year NBA career. He blocked a sh*t ton of shots because he's 6" to a foot taller than everyone else.. If he were 6’6”, he likely never plays in the NBA because outside of being tall and having long arms, he had zero skill.

A lot of NBA players make more in a single game than Caitlin Clark's full season salary. This year, Steph Curry is the highest paid player in the league. Believe it or not, he makes $51,915,615/82 = $633,117/per game.

That is more than Clark's entire four year contract.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
That is nowhere near what I’m suggesting. You can be a big guy but not be a good offensive lineman. See hundreds and hundreds of examples - even at PSU - it is a long and glorious list of big guys who just weren’t good. You can be 6'6" 345 lbs. but if you can't run or have stiff hips you're not long for the NFL. If you are 6’10” - 7’+ - you can have a solid NBA career without a lot of skill/talent. Manute Bol was 7’6”, played one year of college, and had a 12 year NBA career. He blocked a sh*t ton of shots because he's 6" to a foot taller than everyone else.. If he were 6’6”, he likely never plays in the NBA because outside of being tall and having long arms, he had zero skill.

That is more than Clark's entire four year contract.
Meh. I think it’s fine to not like the NBA. I think using the reason of not liking it because the players are tall is silly.

Reactions: Jaydmil

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Meh. I think it’s fine to not like the NBA. I think using the reason of not liking it because the players are tall is silly.

It's not that they're tall; it's because 'being tall' is not something anyone can develop or practice - you are born tall or not. Someone said the women's game isn't as interesting as the men's - I asked why? It's obviously because they can't dunk and 'poster-ize' someone. They can shoot, pass, etc. - so what else is it? Oh wait - just occurred to me....

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
If you are 6’10” - 7’+ - you can have a solid NBA career without a lot of skill/talent.
There are lots of people that are 6'10" to 7' that will never sniff the NBA, Division 1, etc...if I look back at our PSU teams through the years, our 6'10"+ guys are often uncoordinated, can't get up and down the court, don't have court awareness, etc. There aren't unskilled 7 footers playing in the NBA.

Shaq was a unicorn...to be that big and still have that much coordination, agility, explosiveness, basketball smarts, etc was very rare. He was as good as he was due to a LOT more than his height.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
There are lots of people that are 6'10" to 7' that will never sniff the NBA, Division 1, etc...if I look back at our PSU teams through the years, our 6'10"+ guys are often uncoordinated, can't get up and down the court, don't have court awareness, etc. There aren't unskilled 7 footers playing in the NBA.

Shaq was a unicorn...to be that big and still have that much coordination, agility, explosiveness, basketball smarts, etc was very rare. He was as good as he was due to a LOT more than his height.

If you are 7' or taller you have an 18% chance of playing in the NBA regardless of skill.

Latest posts