FC/OT: Dabo Swinney dying on hill of tradition....

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
One of three schools (other two were service academies) to not take any transfers. I can't tell if it's because he's a lazy piece of sh*t or because he's inept or that he is desperately clinging to the 'old ways' of doing things. Still waiting for this turd to find a new profession....

Probably the only coach I would prefer Franklin to.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Couldn’t resist the Franklin dig. It didn‘t have to include Franklin except that it did.

😞

Tried to think of another way I could show disdain for Swinney and nothing could top 'I'd still prefer Franklin,' - is that a dig? Ah well.

• Haha
Reactions: Psu00

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I like the guy. His coaching record speaks for itself but I am aware of many acts of kindness and compassion by Dabo off the field that tell me he is a class act. I won't go into details here. Some are easily found on line.....others are not. I also won't debate the issue. I'm sure, like most men, he is no Saint, but on balance, he has earned my respect.

Last edited:

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Probably the only coach I would prefer Franklin to.

I'm neutral on Franklin so don't take this as an apologist statement, but there is no way PSU would be better with guys like Narduzzi, Cristobal, Deion, Bielema, Locksley, Ferentz, Napier, B Kelly, BOB, Mack Brown, Wilcox, etc. This doesn't even include G5 guys like Dilfer and Mora Jr.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I like it (hearkens back to Paterno) and wish more would abandon the portal concept but it is what it is at this point. Not sure why people have such hate for Swinney - he seems like a man of strong Christian faith which I can respect.

He’s an incredible hypocrite who only does and says things out of self interest. Anyway.

Reactions: maypole

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I'm neutral on Franklin so don't take this as an apologist statement, but there is no way PSU would be better with guys like Narduzzi, Cristobal, Deion, Bielema, Locksley, Ferentz, Napier, B Kelly, BOB, Mack Brown, Wilcox, etc. This doesn't even include G5 guys like Dilfer and Mora Jr.

I was being hyperbolic but sure.

Reactions: Grant Green

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I like the guy. His coaching record speaks for itself but I am aware of many acts of kindness and compassion by Dabo off the field that tell me he is a class act. I won't go into details here. Some are easily found on line.....others are not. I also won't debate the issue. I'm sure, like most men, he is no Saint, but on balance, he has earned my respect.
Agree, 100%. Met him as he was recruiting a few of the local players near where I work

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
I don't closely follow Clemson football, but:

If he isn't bringing a bunch of transfers - unless he is playing with only 70 kids on scholarship (I'm sure he isn't) - doesn't that mean that the vast majority of his recruits stay? (unlike many other programs) And that he redshirts most of his freshmen (which would certainly be congruent with wanting kids to actually be more than meatheads brought in to play ball?)

Whatever else about him - and I am not particularly a fan or a non-fan (and I thought his "when players start getting paid, I'm outta' here" was dumb) - that sounds pretty damn admirable - relative to the typical college football ball coach.

Let alone that he has been at one school for 16 years (that hadn't had a 10 win season in 20 years or so before he got there)- averaged 11 wins per year - won 12 bowl games (8 of them NY6 bowls) - been to 4 championship games, winning 2

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
He’s an incredible hypocrite who only does and says things out of self interest. Anyway.
I Couldnt Agree More GIF by YoungerTV

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
So in today's world, to take an honorable stance on a dishonorable practice makes you the bad guy? Okay. I guess.

Reactions: IBeBlockin

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I don't closely follow Clemson football, but:

If he isn't bringing a bunch of transfers - unless he is playing with only 70 kids on scholarship (I'm sure he isn't) - doesn't that mean that the vast majority of his recruits stay? (unlike many other programs) And that he redshirts most of his freshmen (which would certainly be congruent with wanting kids to actually be more than meatheads brought in to play ball?)

Whatever else about him - and I am not particularly a fan or a non-fan (and I thought his "when players start getting paid, I'm outta' here" was dumb) - that sounds pretty damn admirable - relative to the typical college football ball coach.

Let alone that he has been at one school for 16 years (that hadn't had a 10 win season in 20 years or so before he got there)- averaged 11 wins per year - won 12 bowl games (8 of them NY6 bowls) - been to 4 championship games, winning 2

Players transfer out of Clemson. He just doesn’t replace them with other transfers.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Players transfer out of Clemson. He just doesn’t replace them with other transfers.
I'm sure they do (as I said, the "vast majority" must be staying).

But unless he's playing with a hell of a lot less than 85 - he can't be losing transfers (or processing kids) at near the rate of most schools. Obviously

I don't have time to check his roster right now - but I can't imagine he has a roster of significantly less than 85 (if not a full 85). Does he?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I'm sure they do (as I said, the "vast majority" must be staying).

But unless he's playing with a hell of a lot less than 85 - he can't be losing transfers (or processing kids) at near the rate of most schools. Obviously

I don't have time to check his roster right now - but I can't imagine he has a roster of significantly less than 85 (if not a full 85). Does he?

4-4 in conference last year. He may have a full roster, but failing to adapt may be his downfall. Not saying it is good or bad - just is what it is.

Reactions: Psu00 and LB99

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
I like the idea of the message: "come here and I won't give your job to some unproven transfer from UCF (I might do it with some new 5 star HS recruit out of Georgia next year, but, hey, it's better than nothing!)." Probably good for long-term team chemistry and there is something to be said for not consistently turning over the roster with mercenaries year after year. However, that looks like an Iowa building strategy, which gets you one solid team every four years. Plus, it really puts the pressure on Dabo to keep the talent from leaving when the better players realize they can't compete with the portal teams.

Reactions: Midnighter

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I like it (hearkens back to Paterno) and wish more would abandon the portal concept but it is what it is at this point. Not sure why people have such hate for Swinney - he seems like a man of strong Christian faith which I can respect.
I think Urban claims to be of strong Christian faith also. FWIW.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

I agree with you in that I wish more schools would adopt this position that Dabo has. A matter of fact I wish every single school except for Penn State would refuse to use the portal in any way.

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter

Kroixklk

Oct 7, 2021
He is a coach at a public university, he shouldn’t be basing his program around god. IMO he uses god as a recruiting tactic.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
He is a coach at a public university, he shouldn’t be basing his program around god. IMO he uses god as a recruiting tactic.
From what I know about the Clemson program. and that is likely more than most on this board, there have been no violations of the 1st Amendment by Dabo or his staff. All efforts to prove otherwise, and there have been many, have failed. Most of these efforts are made by individuals, or groups, that fail to understand the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses, or the nature of the Clemson program, or both.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
From what I know about the Clemson program. and that is likely more than most on this board, there have been no violations of the 1st Amendment by Dabo or his staff. All efforts to prove otherwise, and there have been many, have failed. Most of these efforts are made by individuals, or groups, that fail to understand the Establishment Clause, or the nature of the Clemson program, or both.

There is definitely a case to be made that Clemson/Dabo religious integration is unconstitutional at a public university - they have a paid chaplain on staff and have conducted baptisms on the practice field. Dabo tells recruits they will learn the Gospel. Now, these men and their families do not have to go to Clemson (which is the foundation of the Establishment Clause) but public money should not be used to promote any one religion.

Good article from Virginia Law Review:

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
There is definitely a case to be made that Clemson/Dabo religious integration is unconstitutional at a public university - they have a paid chaplain on staff and have conducted baptisms on the practice field. Dabo tells recruits they will learn the Gospel. Now, these men and their families do not have to go to Clemson (which is the foundation of the Establishment Clause) but public money should not be used to promote any one religion.

Good article from Virginia Law Review:

From what I know of the program, and my reading of the scores of articles on both sides of this issue, Dabo, and by extension Clemson, have not violated the Constitution. That said, my opinion is nothing but the musings of an old lawyer who, in fairness, has a bit of a Constitutional law background. Perhaps a Court, or Courts, will someday put the issue to rest. Until then, Dabo will do what he does and Clemson will reap the benefits.

Latest posts