FC/OT: Dabo Swinney dying on hill of tradition....

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Joe Paterno promised Gertie Cefalo that Jimmy would go to church every Sunday. Was that wrong?
How much cash did Joe or his staff deliver in a bag to church to land Jimmy....if you think the answer is none.....then your false equivalency failed. What I was referring to is something that was passed on to me via my LSU friends wile spending years in NOLA.....coaches recruit the churches from Houston to Jacksonville along that I10 corridor. At least that was the bag man's job back in the day. Find the churches in the talent rich areas and do some work there....no issues with church or religion on my end, just those who bastardize it for their own causes.

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
How much cash did Joe or his staff deliver in a bag to church to land Jimmy....if you think the answer is none.....then your false equivalency failed. What I was referring to is something that was passed on to me via my LSU friends wile spending years in NOLA.....coaches recruit the churches from Houston to Jacksonville along that I10 corridor. At least that was the bag man's job back in the day. Find the churches in the talent rich areas and do some work there....no issues with church or religion on my end, just those who bastardize it for their own causes.
Ok. I just didn't realize churches were up there on the list of challenges college football currently faces. I would have guessed maybe gambling or transfers or something else.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Ok. I just didn't realize churches were up there on the list of challenges college football currently faces. I would have guessed maybe gambling or transfers or something else.

You took it as churches being the target.....I'm not surprised though. Par for the course.

Man Running GIF by DevX Art

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Joe Paterno promised Gertie Cefalo that Jimmy would go to church every Sunday. Was that wrong?
Not if Mrs. Cefalo asked him to.

I just remembered that I would see Jimmy at Mass on Saturday afternoons when my father happened to be visiting. (I myself stopped being a regular at Mass once I left home.) My dad would get a kick out of shaking Cefalo’s hand at the Peace Be With You bit. Lol at the memory. Cefalo was a fine person.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Cefalo was a fine person.
Other than the 1st wedding hiccup, I agree. He's still loved in Miami - much the way Bobby Murcer was loved in NY - former players turned announcers both with similar physical challenges apparently.

Reactions: LionJim

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

I just remembered that I would see Jimmy at Mass on Saturday afternoons when my father happened to be visiting. (I myself stopped being a regular at Mass once I left home.) My dad would get a kick out of shaking Cefalo’s hand at the Peace Be With You bit. Lol at the memory. Cefalo was a fine person.

Imagine quality kids like Cefalo, Poz, Michael Robinson, etc. entering the portal today.

I hate our world.

Reactions: Bison13 and LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Other than the 1st wedding hiccup, I agree. He's still loved in Miami - much the way Bobby Murcer was loved in NY - former players turned announcers both with similar physical challenges apparently.
I’ve mentioned that I had a very short first marriage (my second has lasted 37 years). On the very first day, I could tell that my wife thought it was a mistake. Not a good position to find oneself in. Just saying, just sharing.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve mentioned that I had a very short first marriage (my second has lasted 37 years). On the very first day, I could tell that my wife thought it was a mistake. Not a good position to find oneself in. Just saying, just sharing.
Jimmy never made it to the altar, and backed out of the wedding. The bachelor party in State College was possibly a factor.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Jimmy never made it to the altar, and backed out of the wedding. The bachelor party in State College was possibly a factor.
I have a pretty good grasp of the details, yeah. Not a good look, but probably better than having your spouse figuring on her own, on her honeymoon, that the man she married earlier that day thought it was all a mistake. At least my first wife was considerate enough to walk out on me eight or so months down the road. Smart woman, she saw the writing on the wall.

Reactions: MtNittany

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I have a pretty good grasp of the details, yeah. Not a good look, but probably better than having your spouse figuring on her own, on her honeymoon, that the man she married earlier that day thought it was all a mistake. At least my first wife was considerate enough to walk out on me eight or so months down the road. Smart woman, she saw the writing on the wall.
I don't even consider it a bad look - at that age. I met him at a pro-am function once and we were talking about PSU and all the mutual friends we had. I couldn't bring it up, or mention that I was there that night w/ Heller and Dickie Mo. Very professional guy that was/is very, very good at what he does.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I don't even consider it a bad look - at that age. I met him at a pro-am function once and we were talking about PSU and all the mutual friends we had. I couldn't bring it up, or mention that I was there that night w/ Heller and Dickie Mo. Very professional guy that was/is very, very good at what he does.
“At that age,” that cracked me up.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
He is a coach at a public university, he shouldn’t be basing his program around god. IMO he uses god as a recruiting tactic.

I think a lot of this is difference in perception. Anyone familiar with the Upstate region of SC knows it’s a pretty religious region. Everyone’s cousin Joe is a ‘preacher’ and there’s literally a Baptist church on just about every corner. It’s not uncommon for people to wear their religion on their sleeve. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it does catch anyone from the Northeast or West coast a bit off guard. Certainly, some go too far and are dishonest with it which allows people to try and paint them all as bad or inappropriate etc.

Does Dabo use it as a recruiting tactic- probably in some ways. He’s tried to use his celebrity influence to get his brother out of a speeding ticket with a police officer (IIRC). He’s certainly not perfect and people may cringe at parts of his approach, but I think generally he’s probably a good guy.

I kind of admire him for taking a stand on the transfer issue and not just going with the crowd on something he thinks is wrong.

Last edited:

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021

Similar story ... I would see Paul Posluszny at Sunday morning Mass during my time at Penn State. Usually sat near the front of the church on the left hand side.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Said he would find another job if players were ever paid. He’s still a coach. He’s a liar.
He also knew damn well what was going in in the sport prior to NIL....he was just fine with it being below the table. Buy hey if you talk up virtues to any fan base and win a MNC you get that status of being untouchable....until you're not. If you already were thriving in the old system you don't want change as it levels the playing field a little bit. Saban didn't just grow tired, the home cooked advantages a few schools had went away or was at least was hit a little bit. Haves don't tend to care about others that do not...why would you want change if you have an inherit advantage over your peers. I still remember an OL PSU lost to Clemson a decade or so back with a HUGE fat stack of money in his hand, but it was his "Uncle's" who drove a armored truck (wink, wink). Not sure if that was pre Dabo or not, but you're correct about him being FOS.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
He also knew damn well what was going in in the sport prior to NIL....he was just fine with it being below the table. Buy hey if you talk up virtues to any fan base and win a MNC you get that status of being untouchable....until you're not. If you already were thriving in the old system you don't want change as it levels the playing field a little bit. Saban didn't just grow tired, the home cooked advantages a few schools had went away or was at least hit a little bit.

Yup. And what's funny is NIL isn't even three years old yet; it won't be until July 1st. NIL has done what no college football team could ever do and that's scare the greatest coach in the history of the sport so badly that he retired. Dabo is young and has some fight in him, but Clemson fans are already getting tired of his refusal to get on board with NIL and the transfer portal (and we know his reasons for doing so have nothing to do with the integrity of the game and everything to do with his stubbornness). I hope Clemson bails on the ACC and the B1G and SEC pass; outside of recent football success, they offer nothing.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Said he would find another job if players were ever paid. He’s still a coach. He’s a liar.
Liar is a bit harsh. His comment was made nearly 10 years ago. People's positions often evolve or change over time. I promised my wife I would retire at 67. I meant it at the time but here I am, well into my 70s, and still working. That doesn't make me a liar, it makes me human. She has adjusted and is happy that I am still productive and doing a job I love.
In any event, Dabo, like Joe, Saban, Harbaugh, or dozens of other successful coaches, is going to evoke strong feelings on both sides, and that's fine. Respectful debate is a large part of the American experience.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Liar is a bit harsh. His comment was made nearly 10 years ago. People's positions often evolve or change over time. I promised my wife I would retire at 67. I meant it at the time but here I am, well into my 70s, and still working. That doesn't make me a liar, it makes me human. She has adjusted and is happy that I am still productive and doing a job I love.
In any event, Dabo, like Joe, Saban, Harbaugh, or dozens of other successful coaches, is going to evoke strong feelings on both sides, and that's fine. Respectful debate is a large part of the American experience.
It's all good. Some hold people to impossible standards simply because they want them to fail - for one reason or another. Basic human nature that doesn't require a couch, beard, and a pipe to figure out.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Free country.

Reactions: fairgambit

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I'm gonna get me some religion
I'm gonna join the Baptist church
Gonna be a preacher
So I don't have to work

• Haha
Reactions: bbrown

BVSt.Paul

Oct 12, 2021

I may have mentioned this before, but Cef beat me by so much in a 220 in HS, he could have finished a large latte before I crossed the finish line.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Bro we called it quits at 55 wtaf are you doing?

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Bro we called it quits at 55 wtaf are you doing?
People often ask me that and the answer is always the same. I love what I do; I am very good at it; and I make a very nice living. Add in that I have few hobbies. I don't golf, play tennis, etc.
I do play guitar, paint (mostly landscapes), and read a lot, but those fit nicely around my work schedule. In any event, if my health holds, I plan to practice law until I'm 85....or so. (Don't tell my wife). ;)

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
People often ask me that and the answer is always the same. I love what I do; I am very good at it; and I make a very nice living. Add in that I have few hobbies. I don't golf, play tennis, etc.
I do play guitar, paint (mostly landscapes), and read a lot, but those fit nicely around my work schedule. In any event, if my health holds, I plan to practice law until I'm 85....or so. (Don't tell my wife). ;)
I’m actually calling her for tea manana.

• Haha