FC/OT: Golf guys - what are the current good brands, trends, etc?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Friend invited me to his club yesterday and I realized my clubs/bag were 20 years old (Nike when they actually made clubs) I just don’t golf that much. But, since this is likely the club I’ll join soon, I feel like I’ll be going a lot more. I don’t watch golf so going to buy clothes at Dick’s and I see lots of Puma stuff, less Nike. Saw ‘Bad Birdie’ - what is that? The clothes seem better fitting and trendy overall. So, looking to buy new everything and I love Mizuno. Any recommendations? How important is getting fitted? Any ‘must have’ niche clubs (fairway woods, hybrids, drivers)?

Alice In Wonderland Thank You GIF

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Yes, get fitted. By all means, get fitted. That way, you can have clubs that match your game better than just grabbing something off the rack that could be out of your league. Be prepared as fittings are like workouts -- you're going to be hitting 5 different drivers at least 7-10 times each and then think about however many other clubs you're going to be testing as well. When I went to get new woods a couple years ago, I was drenched with sweat in the hitting bay when it was all done.

Reactions: Midnighter

Tchains23

Oct 12, 2021
Friend invited me to his club yesterday and I realized my clubs/bag were 20 years old (Nike when they actually made clubs) I just don’t golf that much. But, since this is likely the club I’ll join soon, I feel like I’ll be going a lot more. I don’t watch golf so going to buy clothes at Dick’s and I see lots of Puma stuff, less Nike. Saw ‘Bad Birdie’ - what is that? The clothes seem better fitting and trendy overall. So, looking to buy new everything and I love Mizuno. Any recommendations? How important is getting fitted? Any ‘must have’ niche clubs (fairway woods, hybrids, drivers)?

Alice In Wonderland Thank You GIF
There are so many golf brands out there these days as far as apparel. Bad Birdie is a trendy more bold look. Personally I am a fan of TravisMathew shirts and shorts. Peter Millar is great but not inexpensive, while Adidas is solid in my opinion.

As far as clubs get fitted for everything if you’re going to be playing. Getting fit for all clubs, driver through putter is worth it. You would be surprised how much having wedges with the correct bounce and loft can help based off your game. As well as a putter, everyone can have a different preferred look and feel. I got fitted for my putter about 12 years ago and they bent the shaft about 8° to fit my setup. Same with irons, the right lie angle and shaft is beneficial. Same goes with the driver etc.

I am a titleist fan and always have been. But lots of good options out there in regards to clubs.

Now, once you really start playing you can find a place for a ball fitting lol. The different metrics of height, spin etc can be interesting to see depending on what you want out of a ball.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Be careful on getting fitted. The fitters will fit clubs to your current cruddy swing knowing full well they are fitting you to your cruddy swing. So, make sure you are swinging as close to your ability as you can before getting fitted. Also don’t go for the most recent clubs as tech is similar last several years. Think you can still get mavrik woods for 199 each as opposed to the ai marketing thing for 700 each. Same goes with irons.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I used to shoot a lot of competitive pool. When talking about cues, the best player I knew said "I can beat most guys with a broomstick"

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Be careful on getting fitted. The fitters will fit clubs to your current cruddy swing knowing full well they are fitting you to your cruddy swing. So, make sure you are swinging as close to your ability as you can before getting fitted. Also don’t go for the most recent clubs as tech is similar last several years. Think you can still get mavrik woods for 199 each as opposed to the ai marketing thing for 700 each. Same goes with irons.

Where should I go? Is Dick’s okay? Or Golfdom? A club?

JoeLion

Oct 12, 2021
I took lessons and then got fitted. LIKE MOST THINGS it’s a process to go about it the right way. As far as clothing, just go to Marshals or TJ Max, clothing needs to be comfortable more than anything. The money you save can be put into a good hybrid.

Reactions: IrishHerb

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
The fitters will fit clubs to your current cruddy swing knowing full well they are fitting you to your cruddy swing.

Agree with this thought. If you are going to start playing more regularly, you'll probably want some lessons. Get those lessons (and likely swing changes) under your belt before you get fitted and buy new clubs.

Sounds like this might be a nice/great/exclusive club that you may want to join, so it would be appropriate to get some decent clothes for your initial appearance. Just make sure you remove the price tags and hang tags before the first tee - ha!

I wouldn't be as concerned with the clubs during your first visit(s).

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
You can look up callaway days at clubs. They will fit you without the pressure of buying. Callaway Taylor made etc all have these days around where you live. Would not go to dicks unless tied with golf galaxy.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Go to a PXG center and get fitted. If you want to meet my N Larry, he’s in King of Prussia. PXG founder is a Vietnam vet and a BMF
tell them you want clubs that will get you thru your 5 years of lessons. You get to an 18-15 BAMM you go 5k custom

Last edited:

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021

Some driving ranges that have a number of teaching pros offer club fitting too. Thats what I'd do if there was something near by.

I'm in the DC area of Maryland and one place I can think of is Olney Golf Park. There used to be another one at Glenn Dale Golf Club, run by a female teaching pro (she was good). Unfortunately Glenn Dale has closed.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Some driving ranges that have a number of teaching pros offer club fitting too. Thats what I'd do if there was something near by.

I'm in the DC area of Maryland and one place I can think of is Olney Golf Park. There used to be another one at Glenn Dale Golf Club, run by a female teaching pro (she was good). Unfortunately Glenn Dale has closed.
Can confirm Herbie’s golf chops. “Passion” doesn’t quite begin to cover it, tbh.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Thats the rub, you’ve been on my ignore for a year but I still read everything you write. It takes discipline I just can’t muster
Fair enough, I guess. I do hope you realize that I do not consider it any sort of burn to be on your ignore list. You’re really odd with how you approach the whole “put someone on ignore” bit, a real outlier. You’re otherwise pretty chill.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
His putter collection showcases his unit
the Rick rocks One and Done

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
There is a trend among some pros to wear some kind of Euro pants that are tight around the ankles. I have seen Justin Thomas, among others, wearing these pants with pride.

Any self-respecting club will kick you out if you wear those pants on the course.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I see a lot of good players all the time, and talk to them. Some play stuff they don't want to. All I'll say is that a few of them have told me the Titleist driver faces are trampolines, and I can't argue. It's amazing how far I can hit one even w/ bad swings.

I have an old set of Ping I500's w/ stiff graphite shafts that a pal gave to me. I like them (I like the top line), but if I played more I'd probably care more, and maybe find something else iron-wise.

Putter - buy a good shape Anser 2 on ebay. The putter that all the other putter "designers" and "engineers" ripped off because, well it's the best putter ever made.

As was said above (w/ a billiard reference) if you can hit it, you can hit it with a stick.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
There is a trend among some pros to wear some kind of Euro pants that are tight around the ankles. I have seen Justin Thomas, among others, wearing these pants with pride.

Any self-respecting club will kick you out if you wear those pants on the course.

I don't really have a problem with them. Small guys like Eric and JT seem to like them. I see much worse. Like paper thin hoodies (w/ no golf shirt underneath) on the range hitting balls. That's worse imo.

The women at golf clubs are the worst offenders of dress code envelope pushing (Thank You God!). Easily.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
For automotive accessories, I hear Scottie Scheffler is coming out with a line of custom bumpers and fenders.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I'll add this - this club is in my bag. I quit playing for 20 years - maybe 2 rounds/year during that time. This club was given to me by the Hogan rep when I was on their staff. It's laminated maple w/ a Hogan 4 shaft in it. He gave it to me to get out of waste bunkers, long fairway bunkers, etc.

Turns out, it's just another hybrid. I know how far I can hit it, and how I can hit it (it just sort of came back to me), so a Titleist hybrid is out of the bag. I will say that this is the ONLY club in the bag you can get away with this (180-215).

I just like it. I can hit high toe draws or low cuts. I shot more than a few rounds in the 60's w/ this club in my bag. Thanks Chuck Ludwig (the rep).

Yes - I have replaced the dimple grip. Old picture. I love the Hogan pin in the shaft. Glue was never enough for Ben.

Attachments

• hoganspecial1.jpg
    hoganspecial1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • hoganspecial2.jpg
    hoganspecial2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021

I don't really have a problem with them. Small guys like Eric and JT seem to like them. I see much worse. Like paper thin hoodies (w/ no golf shirt underneath) on the range hitting balls. That's worse imo.

The women at golf clubs are the worst offenders of dress code envelope pushing (Thank You God!). Easily.
Yeah that’s just a horrendous look. JT would get beat up for wearing those pants at most courses. My buddies would have him giving up the game for wearing that monstrosity.

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021

I play golf for the fun of playing golf. What you wear (style wise) is of no importance, as long as it is appropriate (shirt, shorts or slacks, socks and shoes) and comfortable.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah that’s just a horrendous look. JT would get beat up for wearing those pants at most courses. My buddies would have him giving up the game for wearing that monstrosity.
That's Eric Cole - not JT. I would guess that Eric has made a lot more money than JT the past year.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
For club fitting I would look to some respected national chains like Club Champion, Golf Galaxy, or GolfTec. Some local small shops might be good but that's on you. I would probably avoid Dick's as it is likely to be hit or miss on the experience/training of the fitter. The club you are looking to join might offer fitting services or recommendations. Whomever is the teaching pro might be a good contact for equipment. Lessons are really a must as nothing about golf is intuitive. I would recommend once a week for at least a month to start off.
If you are looking at pre-owned after your initial survey 2nd Swing is great to work with. They also do new clubs and fittings in Wilmington, but that is a little drive for you.
2nd Swing Golf