FC/OT: Luke Combs at Beaver Stadium…

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
mad gran torino GIF

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Just a reminder :unsure:

Do we all recall the deluge of folks saying: "You have to renovate Beaver Stadium - because (for some unknown reason) you can't hold a large concert event in there as is."

It would be interesting to see what the P/L looks like after everything is accounted for.
Woodstock was held in a field. People are such pussies today.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Do we all recall the deluge of folks saying: "You have to renovate Beaver Stadium - because (for some unknown reason) you can't hold a large concert event in there as is."

It would be interesting to see what the P/L looks like after everything is accounted for.

An issue that has been cited is that the sh|tters aren’t winterized to allow for winter events, like NHL games.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
An issue that has been cited is that the sh|tters aren’t winterized to allow for winter events, like NHL games.
Well,,,, that ain't gonna' happen anyway - and if it did wouldn't make any money (and, of course, the winterization is done)

The Hobo Locos battle cry was stuff like "You can't set up a big stage in there, because the entries were too small", and other silliness like that. Which was always nonsense.

The issues wrt "events" at Beaver Stadium has always been - and always will be:

1 How many events need a 100,000 seat outdoor stadium? Answer: Very few. Of those, the majority are concert acts. (And, FWIW, nearly every one is a summer (fair weather) event. The "NHL thing" was always nonsense - that seemed to come up primarily to serve as a propo point to justify "winterization". of course, the "winterization" argument could stand on its own, without the propo point, but, alas. Propoganda trumps reason at nearly every turn.
2) How many events that need a 100,000 seat outdoor stadium would want to come to a "metro area" of maybe 200,000 - when there are scores of venues located in metros of 2 million+? Answer: A very small fraction of those in item 1) (ie: Taylor Swift and Beyonce and the Stones ain't coming)
3) Can venue provider make any appreciable profit off of such a deal? Answer: Not much. Enough to make it worth evaluating when opportunities arise? Sure, an extra million $ of net revenue is never something that you want to pass up. But not nearly enough for it to be a decision-driving metric.
PSU somehow managed to lose money on the first run-through (the Country Bear Jamboree, of whatever that was called). I would be shocked if there is not a profit from this recent one (just the parking alone should have been enough to blacken the bottom line - at the prices charged - unless the entire affair was completely bungled beyond FUBAR). But not a game-changer.

Reactions: Bob78 and BobPSU92

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
I still stand behind spending 2 billion dollars on a new stadium complex. You gotta spend money to make money. $700 million here and $700 million there just doesn’t cut it. James needs our support.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

I was there. Ground level concourse was an absolute DISASTER before the concert. It was a complete GRIDLOCK with people in concession lines backed up hundreds deep. Luckily we were able to push our way to the upper concourse to find it a little less congested but again the food and beer lines completely blocked people trying to move around and get to their seats. It was not only a pain in the azz but a total safety hazzard. I'm really surprised there weren't fistfights all over the place.

After all these years the no cell service thing is a complete embarrassment. People now use cell phones as currency and I'll guarantee many, many thousands dollars were lost yesterday because newcomers to the stadium didn't know they couldn't access money on their phones. I know people that complained about this myself.

Also, this sign is a joke and a liability when the majority of cell phones don't work within a mile of the stadium. This is on YOU as a BOT member when something tragic happens and everyone know this sign is B.S. for 15 years.

20240427_205317.jpg

Last edited:

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Well,,,, that ain't gonna' happen anyway - and if it did wouldn't make any money (and, of course, the winterization is done)

The Hobo Locos battle cry was stuff like "You can't set up a big stage in there, because the entries were too small", and other silliness like that. Which was always nonsense.

The issues wrt "events" at Beaver Stadium has always been - and always will be:

1 How many events need a 100,000 seat outdoor stadium? Answer: Very few. Of those, the majority are concert acts. (And, FWIW, nearly every one is a summer (fair weather) event. The "NHL thing" was always nonsense - that seemed to come up primarily to serve as a propo point to justify "winterization". of course, the "winterization" argument could stand on its own, without the propo point, but, alas. Propoganda trumps reason at nearly every turn.
2) How many events that need a 100,000 seat outdoor stadium would want to come to a "metro area" of maybe 200,000 - when there are scores of venues located in metros of 2 million+? Answer: A very small fraction of those in item 1) (ie: Taylor Swift and Beyonce and the Stones ain't coming)
3) Can venue provider make any appreciable profit off of such a deal? Answer: Not much. Enough to make it worth evaluating when opportunities arise? Sure, an extra million $ of net revenue is never something that you want to pass up. But not nearly enough for it to be a decision-driving metric.
PSU somehow managed to lose money on the first run-through (the Country Bear Jamboree, of whatever that was called). I would be shocked if there is not a profit from this recent one (just the parking alone should have been enough to blacken the bottom line - at the prices charged - unless the entire affair was completely bungled beyond FUBAR). But not a game-changer.
Perhaps you should have bought a ticket and sat with the common folk to see how things really went down before you claim how it was a big success.

Reactions: LB99

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Perhaps you should have bought a ticket and sat with the common folk to see how things really went down before you claim how it was a big success.
Not sure anyone said it was a success, of any size...? Or that the poster attended.

As for the phone service...
I cannot figure out who is responsible for lack of cell service. The university may have a hand in it by allowing the providers access to a location to build a tower or 2, but the providers need to build the towers, roll out service, etc. The providers also have mobile cell units that can be setup temporarily for events, not sure if these were used.

I was at an event at BJC with my dad. Both of us have phones with different "big3" cell providers. One had service one did not. Not sure how the university could change this. The university has phone contracts with 2 of the big3. The one without the contract had a 5G signal inside the BJC.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Not sure anyone said it was a success, of any size...? Or that the poster attended.

As for the phone service...
I cannot figure out who is responsible for lack of cell service. The university may have a hand in it by allowing the providers access to a location to build a tower or 2, but the providers need to build the towers, roll out service, etc. The providers also have mobile cell units that can be setup temporarily for events, not sure if these were used.

I was at an event at BJC with my dad. Both of us have phones with different "big3" cell providers. One had service one did not. Not sure how the university could change this. The university has phone contracts with 2 of the big3. The one without the contract had a 5G signal inside the BJC.
@PSUFTG2 basically said there doesn't need to be upgrades to the stadium to hold events like this moving forward. I called BS. It's complete BS.

I don't care about excuses for the cell service thing. Get it done. It's been an embarrassment WAY too long. Then they go paperless tickets without cell service? Clown show.

Oct 12, 2021
@PSUFTG2 basically said there doesn't need to be upgrades to the stadium to hold events like this moving forward. I called BS. It's complete BS.

I don't care about excuses for the cell service thing. Get it done. It's been an embarrassment WAY too long. Then they go paperless tickets without cell service? Clown show.
PSU should just accept checks and put up a new sign. That's thrifty. :)

Last edited:

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022

I didn't take what he wrote the way you did, but I can see that point of view. I took it as his saying the upgrades are not worth it and the events are not profitable for the university.

As for the cell service, who is to "get it done"? If I go visit a friend's house that does not have cell service I don't complain to my friend, I call my provider.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I see this guy's name and keep thinking Luke Comb Over.

Is That Wrong GIF by The Streamy Awards

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I didn't take what he wrote the way you did, but I can see that point of view. I took it as his saying the upgrades are not worth it and the events are not profitable for the university.

As for the cell service, who is to "get it done"? If I go visit a friend's house that does not have cell service I don't complain to my friend, I call my provider.
Here's a question for @PSUFTG2. He never answers me because he either doesn't like my questions or has me blocked. Does PSU have an exclusive contract with a cell service provider? If so, why? If there's an exclusive contract with a cell provider, was tower capacity changed to handle 110,000 extra traffic AFTER the contract was signed with PSU?

On another note, PSU acknowledges problem because my good friend works at an engineering firm and he personally was working up a WIFI plan 20ish years ago. Edit: I was wrong. He actually worked on what now is the existing WIFI in the stadium not to be used by public.

Last edited:
Reactions: LB99

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
Not like Athletics is only one getting all the money from this. Pretty sure BJC, etc. getting piece of the pie. After all if was Al K from BJC that really was the catalyst for getting this to Penn Srate.

Last edited:

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Did people have fun at the concert? And did PSU do okay financially without messing up the field? Obviously there is a short window for a spring concert-because of weather and classes ending earlier than years ago if they want to do with PSU classes in sessions-which works for most unless they had Taylor Swift who seems to be able to sell out any venue just about any time.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021

Someone mentioned the issue is getting all the stage equipment into the stadium. The portals are too small. Looks like they somehow managed.

Reactions: Bison13

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

It typically doesn't work that way. The promoter rents the facility (including personnel to run concessions, parking, and security) for a flat fee. The promoter pockets the gate and the lion's share of concessions and parking fees.

Could the school be the promoter? Absolutely, but I don't think PSU is there yet.

Reactions: Midnighter

YonkersLion

Nov 4, 2021

Sorry but cell service is not just a PSU issue Also has to do with carriers And everyone should have tix downloaded to their phones before Gameday anyway But I do know that some folks like to ***** about anything and everything ,,,sooo have at it :}!!

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Sorry but cell service is not just a PSU issue Also has to do with carriers And everyone should have tix downloaded to their phones before Gameday anyway But I do know that some folks like to ***** about anything and everything ,,,sooo have at it :}!!
What if I want to sell extra tickets in the lot? What if my PSU sophomore daughter wants to find her friends VIA cell in the lots? What if I want to Venmo my daughters from the lots when they want to buy something downtown? I understand that the older folks here don't get it. The days of carrying a wad of cash in your pocket are long gone.

Please name me the other stadiums that have the same cell issues and I'll stop ******* my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgar

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
It typically doesn't work that way. The promoter rents the facility (including personnel to run concessions, parking, and security) for a flat fee. The promoter pockets the gate and the lion's share of concessions and parking fees.

Could the school be the promoter? Absolutely, but I don't think PSU is there yet.
What time did the gates open? Where people in the parking sections allowed to ***** about our offense?

Reactions: Bison13

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Who the f needs cell service at a concert? Listen to the music or stay home.
When you pay $700 for 4 tickets to attend and pay $35,000 a year for your daughter to attend PSU, it would be silly for me to think I could text my kids across the stadium to let them know plans changed.

Technology is horrible. But unfortunately, it's all my 18 and 20 year old kids know.

I guess we should have home schooled and taught them "real values".

Reactions: Tgar

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
What if I want to sell extra tickets in the lot? What if my PSU sophomore daughter wants to find her friends VIA cell in the lots? What if I want to Venmo my daughters from the lots when they want to buy something downtown? I understand that the older folks here don't get it. The days of carrying a wad of cash in your pocket are long gone.

Please name me the other stadiums that have the same cell issues and I'll stop ******* my friend.
Many of them do. Very difficult to get a cell signal game day at Marshall. No problems other days
UK stadium the same

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
When you pay $700 for 4 tickets to attend and pay $35,000 a year for your daughter to attend PSU, it would be silly for me to think I could text my kids across the stadium to let them know plans changed.

Technology is horrible. But unfortunately, it's all my 18 and 20 year old kids know.

I guess we should have home schooled and taught them "real values".
what terrible adversity

Reactions: Thorndike2021