FC/OT: Luke Combs at Beaver Stadium…

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
“Would you a$$holes keep it down?! I’m trying to make a phone call!”
"Hey, what's with the cell service? Trying to fantasize that's Shania Twain up there and not some hairy lumberjack with bigger jugs than Peter Griffin"......

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
what terrible adversity
The Muppets Coffee GIF by Muppet Wiki

• Haha
Reactions: Grant Green

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
I was there and the second largest one after that the Satsop River Fair and Tin Cup Race in Satsop Washington. Awesome. My Buddie and I didn't have tickets and couldn't afford them. We traded a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken to get in. True story.
Did he sing the Long-neck ice cold beer song?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Someone mentioned the issue is getting all the stage equipment into the stadium. The portals are too small. Looks like they somehow managed.
They actually had 4 or 5 tractor trailers lined up on the outside concourse between gate C and D. Parked right on the concourse where people usually walk. That was a pretty cool sight.

Morrison Hotel

Oct 28, 2021
2) How many events that need a 100,000 seat outdoor stadium would want to come to a "metro area" of maybe 200,000 - when there are scores of venues located in metros of 2 million+? Answer: A very small fraction of those in item 1) (ie: Taylor Swift and Beyonce and the Stones ain't coming)

Why wouldn't the Stones come to the Beav? I'm sure if the price is right they would play anywhere. They played Hersheypark Stadium in 2005...sure, a bigger "metro area" than State College, but it's not Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. And the stadium is more of a dump than the Beav.

BTW, that was a great day....the concert was on a Saturday night in October, 2005, the same day as the PSU/Minnesota game. Watched PSU kick *** at the "Bear's Den" in the Hershey Lodge, then over to the concert to see the Stones. Good times!

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Many of them do. Very difficult to get a cell signal game day at Marshall. No problems other days
UK stadium the same
I'm talking about serious football stadiums not Mickey Mouse crap like those.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Did people have fun at the concert? And did PSU do okay financially without messing up the field? Obviously there is a short window for a spring concert-because of weather and classes ending earlier than years ago if they want to do with PSU classes in sessions-which works for most unless they had Taylor Swift who seems to be able to sell out any venue just about any time.
Turf is being replaced in three weeks otherwise this never would have happened!

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
Here's a question for @PSUFTG2. He never answers me because he either doesn't like my questions or has me blocked. Does PSU have an exclusive contract with a cell service provider? If so, why? If there's an exclusive contract with a cell provider, was tower capacity changed to handle 110,000 extra traffic AFTER the contract was signed with PSU?

On another note, PSU acknowledges problem because my good friend works at an engineering firm and he personally was working up a WIFI plan 20ish years ago. Edit: I was wrong. He actually worked on what now is the existing WIFI in the stadium not to be used by public.
There are entire threads about the issue of mobile phone capacity which can be referenced. However, the short version is that it is incredibly expensive and cannot be a patchwork quilt of solutions. It is being addressed as part of the $700m renovations to the Beav, but only a small portion of the cost and traffic congestion is at the stadium. Capacity has to be built throughout the network and to date nobody has been willing to pay for that for 7 weeks a year.

Reactions: PSUJam

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
There are entire threads about the issue of mobile phone capacity which can be referenced. However, the short version is that it is incredibly expensive and cannot be a patchwork quilt of solutions. It is being addressed as part of the $700m renovations to the Beav, but only a small portion of the cost and traffic congestion is at the stadium. Capacity has to be built throughout the network and to date nobody has been willing to pay for that for 7 weeks a year.

7 weeks a year isn't true either. Last year at freshman check in day outside BJC it was the same thing. I'm sure graduation is the same. Families from all over the world attend these events. Embarrassment.

Not willing to pay for "7 weeks a year" but will pay 50 million for an art museum? Excuses. Clown show.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
7 weeks a year isn't true either. Last year at freshman check in day outside BJC it was the same thing. I'm sure graduation is the same. Families from all over the world attend these events. Embarrassment.

Not willing to pay for "7 weeks a year" but will pay 50 million for an art museum? Excuses. Clown show.
Still crickets from Barry on giving you an answer.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Sorry but cell service is not just a PSU issue Also has to do with carriers And everyone should have tix downloaded to their phones before Gameday anyway But I do know that some folks like to ***** about anything and everything ,,,sooo have at it :}!!
My buddy has been to games at Auburn, TCU, and a few others and claims the cell service in those stadiums is far better than the service at PSU. To PSUJams point, if the stadium provides electronic tickets and a number to call for emergencies, but the service is so bad that utilization of both is sketchy, isn’t that an issue.

As far as b*tching about anything and everything, you must be new here. Every day there’s a new thread bashing the BOT (new and old), Franklin, the OC (new and old), the DC, Bill O’Brien, the Sandusky prosecutors, Brandon Short, downtown State College developers and business owners, the Statue, field naming possibilities, news media, etc, etc. This board isn’t for the optimists.

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021

Well, I attempted to give you a Cliff’s Notes version of the problem and the solution. However, not surprisingly, your response was caustic and not knowledgeable. This is not a Penn State issue per se. Penn State can put all of the necessary investment. It wants in and around beaver stadium and around campus to carry as much traffic as they would like to carry. However, that traffic has to go someplace and that place is the landline, fiber network feeding Penn State and State College. Those networks are privately owned and heavily regulated. Thus, if the companies don’t view it as a good ROI to provide the private capital to build the necessary capacity “for seven weeks a year”, Penn state’s investment will be stranded because the choke point simply moves further downstream. I agree that it is somewhat of an embarrassment, but I also understand that this is not Penn State’s problem alone to solve.

Reactions: PSUFTG2

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Well, I attempted to give you a Cliff’s Notes version of the problem and the solution. However, not surprisingly, your response was caustic and not knowledgeable. This is not a Penn State issue per se. Penn State can put all of the necessary investment. It wants in and around beaver stadium and around campus to carry as much traffic as they would like to carry. However, that traffic has to go someplace and that place is the landline, fiber network feeding Penn State and State College. Those networks are privately owned and heavily regulated. Thus, if the companies don’t view it as a good ROI to provide the private capital to build the necessary capacity “for seven weeks a year”, Penn state’s investment will be stranded because the choke point simply moves further downstream. I agree that it is somewhat of an embarrassment, but I also understand that this is not Penn State’s problem alone to solve.
Oh I understand. Maybe caustic but somewhat knowledgeable. As you said, part of the fix is in the stadium renovation $$$, although that's more in the vicinity of Beaver Stadium. That's cool and I'm all for it.

The elephant in the room is the fact that ATT is in bed with PSU. Hell, they have a cell phone store in the HUB. Is it a coincidence that ATT cells work fine on "7 weekends" and any other large gatherings? I agree that it's up to Verizon to step it up if they want full coverage, but is PSU even trying to pressure them in the name of safety? I doubt it, because of ATT. That's BS. I truly hope something tragic doesn't happen and someone can't call out because of this stupid nonsense. If it does, it's on PSU for not screaming about safety. Look what happened on 9/11 with cell towers getting jammed.

Fix the God damn issue before something happens. But of course that won't happen, because PSU isn't proactive.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Oh I understand. Maybe caustic but somewhat knowledgeable. As you said, part of the fix is in the stadium renovation $$$, although that's more in the vicinity of Beaver Stadium. That's cool and I'm all for it.

The elephant in the room is the fact that ATT is in bed with PSU. Hell, they have a cell phone store in the HUB. Is it a coincidence that ATT cells work fine on "7 weekends" and any other large gatherings? I agree that it's up to Verizon to step it up if they want full coverage, but is PSU even trying to pressure them in the name of safety? I doubt it, because of ATT. That's BS. I truly hope something tragic doesn't happen and someone can't call out because of this stupid nonsense. If it does, it's on PSU for not screaming about safety. Look what happened on 9/11 with cell towers getting jammed.

Fix the God damn issue before something happens. But of course that won't happen, because PSU isn't proactive.

Then they can name the new cell phone tower after the student.

o_O 😞

• Angry
Reactions: step.eng69

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022

If there is a 9/11 type situation the ATT towers have FirstNet.
https://www.firstnet.com/
Any first responder with an ATT phone will have priority (and there are priorities within FirstNet too). So, the average person will not be able to make a call or send a text, but first responders will have 5G (talk, txt, and steaming, etc).
If you want a FirstNet phone, join your local VFD, maybe you will qualify.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
If there is a 9/11 type situation the ATT towers have FirstNet.
https://www.firstnet.com/
Any first responder with an ATT phone will have priority (and there are priorities within FirstNet too). So, the average person will not be able to make a call or send a text, but first responders will have 5G (talk, txt, and steaming, etc).
If you want a FirstNet phone, join your local VFD, maybe you will qualify.
Are you allowed to use such a phone for personal communications? 🤷🏼‍♂️

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Are you allowed to use such a phone for personal communications? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yes... it is just a standard ATT phone (it has to be registered with FirstNet), but the service to that phone is given priority over the non FirstNet phones. FirstNet runs on the ATT towers/system. ATT won a contract with the US government to run the FirstNet service.

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
I hope that they hired extra hands for the cleanup. Country music fans are well known for trashing venues.

That’s not a negative stereotype. That comes from people who work in the industry.