FC: The Queen is dead; long live The Queen.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
He’s been waiting………

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
William will become king most likely. Charles will step down at some point sooner than later. But if something happens to William, Uhoh!! Harry. That may delay him stepping down.

• Sad
Reactions: PSU1969A

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
As someone with deep Irish roots, including paternal grandmother born in Ireland as a subject of the Queen in 1895, I find myself conflicted. While I believe Queen Elizabeth had a kind and gentle spirit, I hold the House of Windsor in high contempt given their treatment of the Irish people through the last centuries. She did sit on the sidelines during The Troubles, which is a bit troubling. Regardless I hope she rests in peace.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I wish they all got some brains and balls and abolished the Monarchy. What a joke to just agree to pamper a certain family with all the **** 99.9% of people can't have, and treat them as superior, even though they have no real responsibilities.

It's an insane concept.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
How many on this board were alive during the reign of another British monarch? Not me ... and I'll be 69 next month!

Reactions: CVLion

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021
How many on this board were alive during the reign of another British monarch? Not me ... and I'll be 69 next month!
I was 15 months old when she became queen. I remember her old man either quite well or not at all. But mostly not at all.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
William's son (Prince George) would follow William as King
IIRC if William died while Charles is still king, then Harry would become next in line when Charles passes. George (William's son) only because heir apparent upon William ascending to the throne. But i could be wrong.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Long live the king you mean. Lol
I was riffing on the popular phrase as most often seen in movies and such - though it typically happens with the succession of kings. I wasn’t going for historically accurate as of today.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I wish they all got some brains and balls and abolished the Monarchy. What a joke to just agree to pamper a certain family with all the **** 99.9% of people can't have, and treat them as superior, even though they have no real responsibilities.

It's an insane concept.

They love it over there for the most part; consistency and familiarity gives them pride and comfort. They’re mostly toothless relics with no real power; symbols who live a life of luxury and public service. I think ‘The Crown’ does a good job showing the less glamorous side of royalty. Paper Royals as it were.

Rick76

Oct 13, 2021
As someone with deep Irish roots, including paternal grandmother born in Ireland as a subject of the Queen in 1895, I find myself conflicted. While I believe Queen Elizabeth had a kind and gentle spirit, I hold the House of Windsor in high contempt given their treatment of the Irish people through the last centuries. She did sit on the sidelines during The Troubles, which is a bit troubling. Regardless I hope she rests in peace.
Not just the Irish people - the House of Windsor was pretty rotten to most of its subjects. Some of my ancestors came from Cornwall in Southeast England. They were miners and when the tin and copper mines gave out, they had two choices: either stay in Cornwall and become smugglers or fishermen or go to America. Those who stayed behind never made it out of a poor existence. My great grandfather came here, became a coal miner and then a foreman, many of his kids went to college, some became military officers (would have never happened in England), and eventually engineers, physicians, lawyers, judges, and business executives. None of that would have happened in England.

In my professional Navy and engineering life, I worked with a lot of Brits from the upper crust. Most were condescending jerks who were living in the "Rule Brittania" past.

On the other hand, I liked the average British seaman. They were good solid people - the kind of people the empire relied upon for years.

We saved their butts twice in WWI and WWII.

I'm an American. I don't believe in monarchies.