FC: The Queen is dead; long live The Queen.

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
They love it over there for the most part; consistency and familiarity gives them pride and comfort. They’re mostly toothless relics with no real power; symbols who live a life of luxury and public service. I think ‘The Crown’ does a good job showing the less glamorous side of royalty. Paper Royals as it were.
I wish they all got some brains and balls and abolished the Monarchy. What a joke to just agree to pamper a certain family with all the **** 99.9% of people can't have, and treat them as superior, even though they have no real responsibilities.

It's an insane concept.
Agreed, never understood the absolute fascination/obsession some have with monarchy. But I have wondered whether in it's current form if it isn't a means to manage or channel "elites" aka "aristocracy" in a less harmful direction.
Give them a title, some voluntary adulation from the masses and remove their real power/authority. If we could manage that for elites here in the US it may be worth it!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Agreed, never understood the absolute fascination/obsession some have with monarchy. But I have wondered whether in it's current form if it isn't a means to manage or channel "elites" aka "aristocracy" in a less harmful direction.
Give them a title, some voluntary adulation from the masses and remove their real power/authority. If we could manage that for elites here in the US it may be worth it!

I mean - they have a House of Lords (upper chamber) and a House of Commons (lower chamber); they‘re not *that* ready to give up overt classism just yet…

Reactions: ODShowtime

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
No, it’s basis is the compulsion some authoritarians have to have power over others, like in a dictatorship. Your theory is utter ********.

Rick76

Oct 13, 2021
I think King Charles or whatever he calls hiimself will go hard left on climate change at a time when the average Brit is worried about staying warm this winter or feeding their families. Then the monarchy will slowly drift into irrelevance. Most of the House of Windsor are ethnic Germans anyway and the Germans haven't had a king in a long time. Neither have the Russians.

I think what this really means is that the British Empire is officially over. She was the last link to the Empire.

Last edited:

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
I think King Charles or whatever he calls hiimself will go hard left on climate change at a time when the average Brit is worried about staying warm this winter or feeding their families. Then the monarchy will slowly drift into irrelevance. Most of the House of Windsor are ethnic Germans anyway and the Germans haven't had a king in a long time. Neither have the Russians.
More ********.

PSU1969A

Nov 3, 2021
IIRC if William died while Charles is still king, then Harry would become next in line when Charles passes. George (William's son) only because heir apparent upon William ascending to the throne. But i could be wrong.
you are.

4theglory54

Oct 16, 2021
Amazing to think they she was Monarch during the presidencies of:

Truman
Eisenhower
Kennedy
LBJ
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
GHWB
Clinton
GWB
Obama
Trump
Biden
My personal perspective:
When I was watching the Howdie Doody Show, she was the Queen.
When Sputnic launched into space, she was the Queen.
When the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan show, she was the Queen.
When I played my last H.S. Football Game in 1966, she was the Queen.
When I ETS'd out of the Army in 1971, she was the Queen.
When I got Married in 1975, she was the Queen.
When my kids were born in the '80s, she was the Queen.
When we were attacked on 9/11, she was the Queen.
When my kids graduated PSU in 2005 and 2007, she was the Queen.
When my Grandkids were born over the past 7 years, she was the Queen.
When I retired last year, she was the Queen. And,
When I woke up this morning, she was gone.

The World lost a gracious, sensative, stoic Human Being.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
In honor of Queen Elizabeth. Pictured here at 18 year old, Queen Elizabeth II, 1944.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Not just the Irish people - the House of Windsor was pretty rotten to most of its subjects. Some of my ancestors came from Cornwall in Southeast England. They were miners and when the tin and copper mines gave out, they had two choices: either stay in Cornwall and become smugglers or fishermen or go to America. Those who stayed behind never made it out of a poor existence. My great grandfather came here, became a coal miner and then a foreman, many of his kids went to college, some became military officers (would have never happened in England), and eventually engineers, physicians, lawyers, judges, and business executives. None of that would have happened in England.

In my professional Navy and engineering life, I worked with a lot of Brits from the upper crust. Most were condescending jerks who were living in the "Rule Brittania" past.

On the other hand, I liked the average British seaman. They were good solid people - the kind of people the empire relied upon for years.

We saved their butts twice in WWI and WWII.

I'm an American. I don't believe in monarchies.
3B819E30-3E37-4963-87DA-5EDADE80BC8A.png

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Not just the Irish people - the House of Windsor was pretty rotten to most of its subjects. Some of my ancestors came from Cornwall in Southeast England. They were miners and when the tin and copper mines gave out, they had two choices: either stay in Cornwall and become smugglers or fishermen or go to America. Those who stayed behind never made it out of a poor existence. My great grandfather came here, became a coal miner and then a foreman, many of his kids went to college, some became military officers (would have never happened in England), and eventually engineers, physicians, lawyers, judges, and business executives. None of that would have happened in England.

In my professional Navy and engineering life, I worked with a lot of Brits from the upper crust. Most were condescending jerks who were living in the "Rule Brittania" past.

On the other hand, I liked the average British seaman. They were good solid people - the kind of people the empire relied upon for years.

This is all true, but that is the system that they accept. It is interesting to me from a spectator standpoint. I did respect the Queens dedication to her duties. As we should, we pray for the family.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
This is all true, but that is the system that they accept. It is interesting to me from a spectator standpoint. I did respect the Queens dedication to her duties. As we should, we pray for the family.

Yeah, think Scotland had a referendum on independence but chose to stay. I can tell you those lads in N. Ireland (and I’m Irish) love to say ‘Tiocfaidh ár lá’…..

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
As someone with deep Irish roots, including paternal grandmother born in Ireland as a subject of the Queen in 1895, I find myself conflicted. While I believe Queen Elizabeth had a kind and gentle spirit, I hold the House of Windsor in high contempt given their treatment of the Irish people through the last centuries. She did sit on the sidelines during The Troubles, which is a bit troubling. Regardless I hope she rests in peace.
Irish-Catholic myself. But the bad form went both ways. Glad to see that is almost entirely in the past.

Western civilization must unite!

Reactions: ODShowtime

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Irish-Catholic myself. But the bad form went both ways. Glad to see that is almost entirely in the past.

Western civilization must unite!
Agree. It wasn’t the English who killed Michael Collins and Erskine Childers, and it wasn’t the English who assassinated Kevin O’Higgins in 1927, four years after the Civil War ended. It did take forever for the English to do the right thing but the ending of their Empire was never going to be pretty.

Last edited:

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
Sad news but the concept of a monarchy makes me :rolleyes: . Everyone gets a title to make them feel as if they're somehow superior to the regular Joe Schmo living a normal life. Bow. Curtsy. It's all BS.
Agreed, the whole thing is baffling.

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021

I’ve worked with a lot of Scott’s in the maritime industry. Good people to a man.

Fortheglory612

Nov 2, 2021
I read an article that said all of the police and first responders got an alert before the media was notified that said for all units to stand by because “London Bridge has fallen down.” Please tell me I’m not the only one that didn’t know that this was the code for the Queen dying. I literally thought that term was just a song they taught us in elementary school.

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I read an article that said all of the police and first responders got an alert before the media was notified that said for all units to stand by because “London Bridge has fallen down.” Please tell me I’m not the only one that didn’t know that this was the code for the Queen dying. I literally thought that term was just a song they taught us in elementary school.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Queen Elizabeth and Dolly Parton die on the same day, and both go before an Angel to find out if they’ll be admitted to Heaven.

Unfortunately, there’s only one space left that day, so the Angel must decide which of them gets in.

The Angel asks Dolly if there’s some particular reason why she should go to Heaven.

Dolly takes off her top and says, “Look at these, they’re the most perfect breasts God ever created, and I’m sure it will please God to be able to see them every day, for eternity”.

The Angel thanks Dolly and asks Her Majesty the same question.

The Queen takes a bottle of Perrier out of her purse, and drinks it down. Then, pees into a toilet and pulls the lever.

The Angel says, “ok, your Majesty, you may go in”.

Dolly is outraged and asked,“What was that all about, I show you two of God’s own perfect creations and you turn me down. She pees into a toilet and she gets in! Would you explain that to me”?

Sorry Dolly, says the Angel, but even in Heaven A Royal Flush Beats a Pair No Matter How Big They Are”

1663294930509.png
Love this picture, I believe she is 14 ish yrs old

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Agree. It wasn’t the English who killed Michael Collins and Erskine Childers, and it wasn’t the English who assassinated Kevin O’Higgins in 1927, four years after the Civil War ended. It did take forever for the English to do the right thing but the ending of their Empire was never going to be pretty.
Only Pax Americana has done more for humanity than Pax Brittanica.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

I thought that was what they sing when Arsenal lose.